[ROM][NZH54D][2020/12/05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
  1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.4.0-0 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.4.0-0 for Tilapia
  2. Boot into Recovery
  3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
  4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20201217) (md5: 0465d92b946d98f599918e8bbfd90dfc)
    or
  5. Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20201217) (md5: a36ffdce1d5cc6def4255f3cd472e201)
  6. Reboot into recovery
  7. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)

Please note: some people report issues with TWRP 3.4.0. If you notice issues in installing the ROM with 3.4.0 please refer to the next post or revert back to TWRP 3.3.1-0 and try to install again.

[*]To get root access, I suggest to use latest Magisk (V20.1)

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
  • Boot into Recovery
    • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20201217) (md5: 0465d92b946d98f599918e8bbfd90dfc)
      or
    • Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20201217) (md5: a36ffdce1d5cc6def4255f3cd472e201)
    • Reboot into recovery
    • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
    • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
    • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
  • please report

Latest Changes
  • 20201217 (AOSP 7.1.2)
    • updated with security patches from December 2020

Changelog
Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
AndDiSa
Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Stable

Created 2016-09-23
Last Updated 2020-12-03

Attachments

Last edited:

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
Please note:
  • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
  • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.4.0, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).

Some additional hints
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen

Last edited:

Nexive

Feb 12, 2012
Brussels
Anyone have a list of issues? Does video playback in YouTube work correctly on this rom or is it broken like the other 7.0 roms? Have the UI glitches been fixed? Does NFC work?
Why not figure it out by yourself?
If you flash this ROM you can create a list of what's working and what's not [emoji6]
Anyway, when I'm home, I gonna flash this ROM on my brother's Nexus 7 and give feedback. [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Last edited:

DSTear

Jul 6, 2016
Wrong link in the post. Downloaded and flashed the last build on my device. After flashing ROM my device was getting cycle reboots and error with cache partition. Fixed that using ADB. ROM seems unstable and buggy. Getting error with Bluetooth share after booting. Navbar and top bar are always black. Old launcher isn't good. Replace it with any good launcher, please. I hope you'll keep work on it. Thank you, good job!

Reactions: AndDiSa

adrman

Jul 17, 2012
NYC
When i get a chance this weekend I'm going to try this with Phh Superuser and Magisk. That combo is/was working great on your MM rom.

fred0r

Nov 23, 2011
Hamburg
I flashed your ROM with TWRP 3.0.2-0 and after 'Patching system image uncondinionally' i get
Code:
Patching system image uncondinionally...
E:unknown command [log]
E:unknown command [log]
script succeeded: result was [1.000000]
Updating partition detail...
...done
I doublechecked the md5 of the file and reflashed but still no luck.

[Edit]
I rebooted and it seems to run....
[Edit2]
Flashing the plain ROM without the gapps seems to work - but after these gapps it doesnt start.

Last edited:

tpuserhp

Jul 1, 2013
I wiped caches, system and data. I installed Android 7 rom, falls and SuperSU. But went into bootloop. I then just installed rom and SuperSU. But keep getting Bluetooth Share keeps stopping messages after boot up. Thanks.
Trued to get into recovery. Now I am keep on getting the following error messages:
E:Unknown fs_type "f2fs" for cache
E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/last_locale
I cannot boot to Android or bootloader now. I removed battery and plugged it back in. But the same problem. It seems my device is bricked now.
Any suggestions to get out of this loop? Thx

Last edited:

tpuserhp

Jul 1, 2013
I wiped caches, system and data. I installed Android 7 rom, falls and SuperSU. But went into bootloop. I then just installed rom and SuperSU. But keep getting Bluetooth Share keeps stopping messages after boot up. Thanks.
Trued to get into recovery. Now I am keep on getting the following error messages:
E:Unknown fs_type "f2fs" for cache
E: Can't Mount /cache/recovery/last_locale
I cannot boot to Android or bootloader now. I removed battery and plugged it back in. But the same problem. It seems my device is bricked now.
Any suggestions to get out of this loop? Thx
I can connect my grouper to my PC and enter adb reboot bootloader command. But I'm not sure what to do next to fix the cache error in recovery. Any suggestions? Thx

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Wrong link in the post. Downloaded and flashed the last build on my device. After flashing ROM my device was getting cycle reboots and error with cache partition. Fixed that using ADB. ROM seems unstable and buggy. Getting error with Bluetooth share after booting. Navbar and top bar are always black. Old launcher isn't good. Replace it with any good launcher, please. I hope you'll keep work on it. Thank you, good job!
Hi @DSTear, I'm running into the same problem on the cache partition as you. I'd appreciate if you could share your method on fixing the cache error in advance. Thx

I was managed to restore the backup and install twrp again.
I think I will retire my grouper on MM now.

Last edited:

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
As I can see, there are two main problems you ran into:
- you are using f2fs for cache and / or data and the version of twrp you are using is not supporting that file type
- you are flashing gapps / SuperSU /... but the space on /system is not sufficient
I'll update the OP to make aware of those possible issues and give some hints how to prevent them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: dark0shark

tpuserhp

Jul 1, 2013
As I can see, there are two main problems you ran into:
- you are using f2fs for cache and / or data and the version of twrp you are using is not supporting that file type
- you are flashing gapps / SuperSU /... but the space on /system is not sufficient
I'll update the OP to make aware of those possible issues and give some hints how to prevent them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA-Developers mobile app
I'm not using f2fs. I issued a mount command and did not find any f2fs hits. Not sure why I am getting those msgs. Odd.

DSTear

Jul 6, 2016
I can connect my grouper to my PC and enter adb reboot bootloader command. But I'm not sure what to do next to fix the cache error in recovery. Any suggestions? Thx

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Hi @DSTear, I'm running into the same problem on the cache partition as you. I'd appreciate if you could share your method on fixing the cache error in advance. Thx

I was managed to restore the backup and install twrp again.
I think I will retire my grouper on MM now.
Hi. It's quite simple to fix that. Just connect your device to computer, then start bootloop. You will able to fix it using ADB:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
And after that format your cache partition:
Code:
fastboot format cache
And reinstall TWRP just in case:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery [twrp img for your device]

Reactions: tpuserhp

millosr

Jun 11, 2015
Belgrade
Some additional hints
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
  • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen
I'm having the same bootloop issues when trying to go to recovery after my rom is installed. After adb reboot bootloader I have to flash twrp to fix that.
Do you maybe know what can cause this issue?

For the bluetooth I saw you already applied the fix to your source :)