[ROM][NZH54D][2021/01/05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

LesGirauds

Jul 27, 2013
France
I've installed it with Pico GAPPS now, no problems.

Last time, I think what happened was I installed the NanoDroid zip and that failed. I then tried GAPPS and that too failed. I think the NanoDroid failed install must have left remnants of itself behind, taking up space. Once I clean flashed the ROM again, pico GAPPS installed correctly.

I've backed everything up and I'm going to try Nanodroid again.

Reactions: AndDiSa

perisdr

Aug 7, 2018
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to thank AndDiSa and everyone providing help troubleshooting problems for the amazing work.

I had the nexus on my shelve for many years, getting dusted. A few years back I had upgraded it to Lollipop where due to the lags (20-30 seconds) the tablet was rendered useless. I even went to the trouble of reading a few guides to downgrade it back to 4.4 just to be functional.

Now with the COVID, my girlfriend had an idea to give the tablet to a poor student (since we do not use it anyway). Families now need several devices for work and study during the lockdown. The government is not able to provide tablets for the whole school, so it was a great opportunity to give the tablet to someone in need.

Unfortunately webex is not available for KitKat and I was frustrated to see after upgrading to lollipop again that it is not available for that version either. That's when I searched for custom roms and found several videos and guides pointing to this thread.

I have now successfully flashed the December image to the tablet and I am really shocked by the performance! It 's like new! I can't believe how smoothly this 8 year old hardware runs Android 7. I am also extremely pissed at Google for bricking the tablet with the Lollipop version. That's one of the reasons I distanced myself from the Android ecosystem. All it 's left now is to make a few calls with webex and check everything works and it will be on its way to someone that really needs it.

Thank you AndDiSa for the time and effort, its highly appreciated. If there 's any way I can buy you a coffee/beer please let me know. It 's a small token just to show my appreciation for bringing a device back to life.

HerrT

Aug 23, 2013
Vienna
New versions with security patches for January 2021 are available for testing
Hi @AndDiSa,

finally I had time to update my old Nexus again (version of your ROM installed was from 2019) and the installation worked exactly as described in the OP.
The few Apps that I use on the device are still working, so no issues for me.

Thanks for all your effort & support
Herr T.

-Tiz-

Jul 5, 2010
Thank you so much for taking care of this device. I dirty flashed the 20210109 for grouper and it seems to work just fine. I also installed SuperSU but did not installed any Google apps.

Baonks81

Aug 8, 2020
How it can be downloaded?
New versions with security patches for January 2021 are available for testing

Happy new year to all of you!

I hope you and your families stay well. Having some free time the last days I prepared the the versions for Nexus and Tilapia having the security patches for January 2021 applied. I've just updated my Github-repos and here are the OTA-packages for Grouper and Tilapia:

7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package 20210109 md5: 6bc4f0e6db77e90e982a5b45339298bf
7.1.2 Tilpia OTA-Package 20210109 md5: 8967cc0d4d8c7435f79acea08ad6eef4

As always, please note, that these versions are untested. I'll wait for some feedback from the community before I'll update the OP.

Have fun and stay healthy!

Reactions: rahimali

marty_bebop

Oct 23, 2016
Thanks to everyone for keeping the Nexus 7 alive.

Mine is working very well, used daily. Nothing heavy - internet radio, audiobooks & so on.

I find that running trimmer (fstrim) regularly seems to help with 'lag'.

I have upgraded the ROM, OpenGapps & TWRP so many times, it's second nature.

Cheers.

perisdr

Aug 7, 2018
Hello everyone,

The tablet works just fine. The only issue that I can find is that there is no camera installed. I used webex to join a call but the camera wouldn't work. I tried installing this app Camera Nexus 7 (official) but I keep getting the message:
Camera has stopped

Is there any easy fix for this? It's not I cannot live without it but since the tablet is going to be used for tele-education it would be an added bonus if the camera is working.

Thank you

Bakica

May 20, 2014
Belgrade
Hello everyone,

The tablet works just fine. The only issue that I can find is that there is no camera installed. I used webex to join a call but the camera wouldn't work. I tried installing this app Camera Nexus 7 (official) but I keep getting the message:
Camera has stopped

Is there any easy fix for this? It's not I cannot live without it but since the tablet is going to be used for tele-education it would be an added bonus if the camera is working.

Thank you
Camera JB+ working fine

Reactions: AndDiSa

yuto0214w

Jan 20, 2019
Shizuoka
me.yuto0214w.repl.co
(First of all, I can say that it's great. It's lighter than Android 5, and it feels lighter than Android 4 :))

It seems it occurs only to me(?), but I can't connect to the internet.
The problem is only connecting, it can search wi-fi and list wi-fi.
It connected successfully on Android 4.

(By the way bluetooth is working, so I connected internet from that)

Last edited:

few__

Apr 24, 2020
(First of all, I can say that it's great. It's lighter than Android 5, and it feels lighter than Android 4 :))

It seems it occurs only to me(?), but I can't connect to the internet.
The problem is only connecting, it can search wi-fi and list wi-fi.
It connected successfully on Android 4.

(By the way bluetooth is working, so I connected internet from that)

Try to stop pmf