[ROM][NZH54D][2021/01/05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

akillenb

Feb 4, 2016
@BeeJ1109
You obviously did not read the first part of this thread. It is stated plainly that to update, you need to install the ROM, reboot to recovery, then install gapps. That Works.
There are only a couple of camera apps that work on the Nexus 7, since it only has a forward facing camera. The stock android camera app, and most others assume/require the device to have both forward and back cameras.

tbusse

Feb 19, 2021
THANK YOU!!! I brought my N7 back to life and run into trouble with the wifi pmf feature. I had to switch it off until I found the solution here. And besides I got a tablet with decent speed back. I already had LOS on it but ASOP seems to be faster and the sec lvl is up-to-date.
So thank you very much for your work!!!

momentoid

Feb 7, 2011
Just here to say thank you @AndDiSa. Installed February update with GApps, still on Twrp 3.4.0.0, and everything works great.

Is it just me, or this version seems to run better than the December version?
IMG_20210219_204147.jpg

LesGirauds

Jul 27, 2013
France
Is it just me, or this version seems to run better than the December version?
Ime, I find clean flashing always makes a new ROM seem faster than the previous. I don't think it's necessarily because the new version is better/faster/smoother than the previous (although, of course, it could be) I just think you haven't noticed how your old install slows down after a while. Like it's clogging up or something (not very technical, I know!) Think of a clean flash as being like a 'declogging' and perhaps worth doing from time to time (even if there's no new ROM to flash) simply to freshen things up! Just my thoughts...

Reactions: momentoid
Mar 5, 2014
Hi sorry I'm a bit of a noob. So I installed this using the old twrp (official one). Then I read somewhere that u can speed up the Nexus 7 by using a modded version of twrp. After installing the modded version I installed this rom using adb sideload. Now my file system still shows ext4 using diskinfo app. How do I change it to f2fs using the modded twrp?

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
@pratikxdagarwal there is no need for using a modded TWRP version. I suppose you wanted to use f2fsf for /cache and /data partitions instead of ext4. Well this can be done but you will lose your data as you need to reformat those partitions when you have booted into TWRP ... but really speaking: in my experience there is not much difference at all and I am not sure whether it's worth to do so.

Mar 5, 2014
@pratikxdagarwal there is no need for using a modded TWRP version. I suppose you wanted to use f2fsf for /cache and /data partitions instead of ext4. Well this can be done but you will lose your data as you need to reformat those partitions when you have booted into TWRP ... but really speaking: in my experience there is not much difference at all and I am not sure whether it's worth to do so.
Got it. Thanks! Love you work man.

KainRaziel

Feb 23, 2013
Hello everyone. First of all I would like to thank Anddisa for his amazing work. I installed the latest rom and gapps with TWRP 3.3.1. The tablet works perfectly: only in the initial configuration, after entering the language and wifi password, the nexus remained in the "check for updates" screen. I finished the configuration without a network and only after it started I entered the google account.
I wanted to know if that's okay or if I have to enter the account at the beginning of the tablet configuration? (maybe this fact may depend on the TWRP version? The installation was done perfectly without errors). I thank in advance those who want to answer.

Miglkein

Feb 23, 2021
[Mod Edit] Added automated translation:
Tell me. Why error 7 crashes. TWRP managed to deliver only 3.4.0.0. if you put it higher, it hangs on the Google label
Подскажите. Почему вылетает ошибка 7. TWRP получилось поставить только 3.4.0.0. если ставить выше то висит на надписи Google

Last edited by a moderator:

momentoid

Feb 7, 2011
Подскажите. Почему вылетает ошибка 7. TWRP получилось поставить только 3.4.0.0. если ставить выше то висит на надписи Google
I experienced Error 7, too.

I was trying to install from a .zip file that was located in /sdcard/Downloads/ directory.

Resolution:
1. I used TWRP's File Manager to move the .zip file to /sdcard/ directory
2. Rebooted to Recovery mode
3. Install-ed successfully. I have TWRP 3.4.0.0.

Hope this helps.

BeeJ1109

Sep 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hi All,
Can someone, please tell me, who is Jenkins, and how can I PM him.
Thank you.

I did a lot of research on TWRP.ME website.
Found that Jenkins, is the name of the Server, where all TWRP Versions are located.
Search on Developers. Jenkins appears and involved on many TWRP for many devices. Lots of commits, especially on Tilapia, which is Asus Nexus 7 3G (2012). Which this thread is for this device.

I have issues with the TWRP version 3.4.0-0-tilapia.img and latest 3.5.0_9.0- Tilapia.img

NEW FUNCTION ADDED

In TWRP after version 3.4.0-0, internal storage can be now backed up, as part of data partition, by renaming /data/media to now include personal data files , ie photos, videos, downloads to change backup and restore to include internal storage instead of presently being data (exclude external storage), meaning excluding /data/media or emulated storage.

This change can be included permanently by modifying fstab.grouper file. That is used to configure, what partitions are available, to be backed up and then restored, as a true Nandroid Backup.
In other Device's TWRP builds there are 8 or more partitions.

But for some unknown reason, only 4 partitions have been made available, for user to select from, in Tilapia and Grouper TWRP by JENKINS, as the Dev.
Missing partitions are "Recovery", "Persist", renamed to "Staging", very unique to this device. "Radio" normally "Firmware or Modem", "EFS"
All these are referenced in "fstab.grouper" file.
That is normally in ALL other TWRP Versions, is called "Recovery.fstab" file stored in Root, that lists ALL Partitions, Mount points, Type (is emmc, ext4, f2fs, vfat, which are format types, used in Android OS.) Lastly Flags, that sets what function within each partition, can be performed, ( ie wiped, backed up, is present, overwritten during flash process, restored, etc).
Also Mount options are limited, to 4 Partitions, compared to other TWRP builds on numerous devices.

To discuss these issues the Dev needs to be contacted.

Jenkins is that Developer. On TWRP.me WebSite. DEVELOPERS are listed, of which, Jenkins is listed as a Dev. for multiple Device's TWRP builds, including multiple versions, available from original to present. Info lists released, or published dates, testing, stable or failed, for each and every Release, all there, to view for every build, and every device,
that a TWRP build exists. Check it out!!!!
https://jenkins.twrp.me/job/tilapia/18/consoleText This is the latest release for TWRP 3.5.0_9-0-tilapia. There lots of devices listed. Interesting reading. It appears, but not sure, includes Samsung, LG, Motorola, OPPO, seem to use same TWRP, code possible same hardware, architecture, used by different manufacturers. Therefore listed under Tilapia, same as Grouper, versions of Asus Nexus 7 2012 Tablets.

So after that long explanation. WHO IS JENKINS ???. What is his User Name on XDA or Telegram, so I can communicate with him.

Thank you to anyone whom can help.

Cheers. BeeJ1109

Last edited:

BeeJ1109

Sep 26, 2015
Adelaide
[
@BeeJ1109 sorry guy, you are going completely out of topic here. This thread is about the Android AOSP 7.x ROM, not about TWRP, Jenkins or anything else. Please respect the forum rules.

P.S.: Some additional hint fo you: CI/CD with Jenkins
Not much use to me. Way above my Knowledge CI/CD with Jenkins.
I already mentioned "Jenkins" is a Server. So "Jenkins the Dev" is just some automated process that updates, 1000s of published, TWRP versions, updates Sources that Devs, use to compile their ROMs.

Please tell me, whom is the TWRP for Tilapia device DEV. SIMPLE QUESTION, requires a simple answer.
My post, It's also about your Restrictive ROM, how it is Built, Examples -
1. Very small System Partition. 638 MB, norm is at least 1 GB on 32GB device.
2. "Internal Memory" not recognised in some apps, seems to be Internal Storage.
3. "Staging" partition, different FSTAB configuration, compared to Android AOSP standards, used by Most other Manufacturers, Please explain what is "Staging" partition function. I am assuming, same as "Persist". Maybe "Preload", but not normal for Custom, only Stock ROMs.
4. as well as, TWRP.
So it is NOT OFF TOPIC, That's is only in your opinion.

You Do Not Write The Rules. Anyone can ask Questions, Especially if they are TECHNICAL in nature.
These Forums are NOT Exclusive to Developers. Users have Rights, as well. Otherwise, we could not be Members of XDA.
XDA Moderators and Senior Admin, write the Rules, not OPs or DEVs.

I did lots of searches on XDA, most responses were relating to old ROM builds, Android 6 or earlier, with one other on 7.1.2 from 2017, nothing being updated.
Only your ROM is presently being the one and only, that is current.
Nothing is mentioned, about TWRP, other than how to flash it from start. Unlock then sideload, same as your page 1. So support for this old device has stopped by all others, lost interest,etc.

So congrats, for your ongoing effort, on updating security, on your ROM.
Big Thank You, from ALL Nexus 7 users for last 4 years.

Have a nice day,
Cheers

Last edited:

Timmmmaaahh

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
Good morning everyone!

@BeeJ1109 TWRP talk in a ROM topic is indeed not entirely off-topic. However! Elaborating to this extent (eg. about TWRP's build server) isn't relevant to this ROM. More importantly; when the author of a ROM thread (usually its developer) request to change the topic, we will support that. He or she delivers the work, therefore he or she determines the do's and don't of the conversation. I believe that's a fair tradeoff for the amazing work they deliver. I could quote a bunch of rules but in the end it's simply a matter of mutual respect. Let's honour that and move on.
Please don't discuss this any further in the thread. All comments and/or questions are most welcome in my PM box.

Have a great day and keep it safe folks!
Timmy

KainRaziel

Feb 23, 2013
After a few days of use, I confirm that the rom looks great on my Nexus. Only the browser on some sites crashes and the clock does not switch to analog from the settings, but remains on digital after restarting by itself. Thanks Anddisa for the amazing work.

Reactions: AndDiSa