[ROM][NZH54D][2021/05/05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

Search This thread

rahimali

Jul 25, 2007
forum.xda-developers.com
Sorry guys, ...
the new version with the May-2021 security patches are prepared, but unfortunately I do have some issues with uploading them to AndroidFileHost. I need to think a bit where I can provide these (and future ?!) files for you.
Stay tuned, I'll keep you up to date.
You could try Mega or Sourceforge (or both). I could help with the uploading/sharing if you want.

AndDiSa

• Dec 2, 2009
    Heidelberg
    @rahimali well it's more a matter of organization of the files. I could provide download links to my webspace, too, but AFH provided some nice features, e.g. counting the number of downloads, automatic MD5 generation, several proxies all over the world, ... and really speaking I don't like Mega nor Sourceforge

Reactions: dark0shark

AndDiSa

• Dec 2, 2009
    Heidelberg
    New Versions 7.1.2 (2021-05) available

Finally I managed it to upload the new files having the security patches May/2021 applied:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 0df8eea4444ba468464a2e6a0afe1ca8)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 34b256999902db4419e401b025a0b6b6)

in addition I prepared the MicroG-Patched images, too:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip (MD5: b18eed2950bed1a1cd02502fc916930a)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 1861570fe5f08cfa437367702f3c7ff2)

As always: the releases are untested and I will wait for feedback from the community.

If you report a successful (or unsuccessful :)) installation, please note which version (Grouper / Tilapia, with or without MicroG-patch) you have installed and tested.
    Stay safe!

KaksiTzeta

May 11, 2021
    Ok I have installed this version as upgrade and all google apps freezes or crashes XD
    All works fine with a clean new installation

Nexus 7 2012 3g tilapia ota

dark0shark

Feb 17, 2013
    Hamburg
    Nexus 7
    Honor 8

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-154656.png
      Screenshot_20210514-154656.png
      57.9 KB · Views: 79

tomc1

Feb 9, 2018
    Just a note, might be worth adding that the 100% easiest way to root, once rebooting with the image, is to install SuperSU via TWRP recovery.

Magisk is waaaay more complicated as it needs .zip unpacking etc etc.

I just did this, and works fine.

Olli 73

Oct 5, 2013
    Berlin
    What is the difference between the regular version(s) and the "MicroG-Patched" ones? Wanted to test on tilapia....
    From Wikipedia:
    MicroG (typically styled as microG) is a free and open-source implementation of proprietary Google libraries that serves as a replacement for Google Play Services on the Android operating system. It is maintained by German developer Marvin Wißfeld.[1] MicroG allows mobile device users to access Google mobile services with less tracking of their device activity compared to Google Play Services. In a presentation, Wißfeld described microG as "the framework (libraries, services, patches) to create a fully-compatible Android distribution without any proprietary Google components".

I installed the MicroG-Version on my Tillapia, and so far all i can say is "WOw". I wonder if my N7 ever was this quick and fluid before. Thank You again AndDiSa! Next i will try MicroG on my MotoX Pure.
    Has anyone installed the MicroG-package-module that is offered in Magisk?

tomc1

Feb 9, 2018
    Magisk 23.0 is totally simple to install: Just rename file extension from .apk to .zip and flash it in TWRP together with GApps as described in step 7 in OP.
    It doesn't say in that level of detail in the first page, so I didn't try it; The Magisk install instructions are all about copying files back and forth, not flashing from TWRP.
    So that's why I used the trusty SuperSU flash

tomc1

Feb 9, 2018

dark0shark

Feb 17, 2013
    Hamburg
    Nexus 7
    Honor 8
    Uh huh. Except I was reading here on their actual site : https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#getting-started

As it shows "ramdisk : yes" the official suggestion leads to "patching images".

The fact we're even talking about it is kinda proof that "flash SuperSU" is an easier and more concise option to give people ?
    SuperSU is completely outdated and eol, that's why Magisk is recommended in the OP, too. Just my 2 cents.

LesGirauds

Jul 27, 2013
    France
    I've clean flashed the MicroG grouper ROM and all is fine (y)

I am now struggling to get a working network location provider. The MicroG unifiedNLP is saying it does not "bind" with the system and is not compatible (that may not be a problem in itself, it might still work!) Do I need to install a 'full' (e.g. NanoDroid) solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: to be clear, I've been installing individual mircog components (core, unifiednlp, nlp provider apks, etc) up until now.

Edit edit: I've removed the components I installed and have installed a full NanoDroid-MicroG zip. It's not reporting errors, seems to be working, but location services are SLOW in finding a location.

Last edited:

shibadoo

May 13, 2008
    Installed the regular version on my tilapia without any problem. Unfortunately my device is very slow (already since a few versions of this ROM). After switching it on it lasts at least 20-30 minutes until it is useable. And also afterwards it is very slow. Probably I have to reset it completely one day and flash the ROM on a clean device.

Reactions: AndDiSa

kozmo2k4

Just a note, might be worth adding that the 100% easiest way to root, once rebooting with the image, is to install SuperSU via TWRP recovery.

Magisk is waaaay more complicated as it needs .zip unpacking etc etc.

I just did this, and works fine.

SU by Chainfire is considered untrusted, since he (Chainfire) sold it a few years back.

dr.n4b0

May 21, 2021
    Installed the regular version on my tilapia without any problem. Unfortunately my device is very slow (already since a few versions of this ROM). After switching it on it lasts at least 20-30 minutes until it is useable. And also afterwards it is very slow. Probably I have to reset it completely one day and flash the ROM on a clean device.
    Well I just did exactly this and with the current march version it runs smooth as butter at first glance. But I also omitted any google services this install.

@AndDiSa I had problems installing the march version directly on my tilapia after a fresh format. But it worked after reformatting, installing the January image and then afterwards updating to the march version. Can be that this was a fluke on my end but eventually someone has a similar problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      What is the difference between the regular version(s) and the "MicroG-Patched" ones? Wanted to test on tilapia....
      Support for signature spoofing
      Grouper: May ROM, latest Pico GApps & Magisk 23 installed. All good, everything seems to be working fine.
      Many thanks.
      The only thing I do struggle with (and I find it a little weird because I would have thought it so simple, comparatively) is a decent calendar app. Google's calendar just worked for me, and whilst I can find calendar sync apps (e.g. dav5x) I've yet to find a (free) calendar app that does as I like.
      Check out these fine tools by Tibor Kaputa. You find them for free on fdroid store. Best toolkit set I use. Please be fair and spend him a beer. Do install the thank you companion app which offers some nice bonus, when you install more than one "simple app".

From Wikipedia:
      MicroG (typically styled as microG) is a free and open-source implementation of proprietary Google libraries that serves as a replacement for Google Play Services on the Android operating system. It is maintained by German developer Marvin Wißfeld.[1] MicroG allows mobile device users to access Google mobile services with less tracking of their device activity compared to Google Play Services. In a presentation, Wißfeld described microG as "the framework (libraries, services, patches) to create a fully-compatible Android distribution without any proprietary Google components".

I installed the MicroG-Version on my Tillapia, and so far all i can say is "WOw". I wonder if my N7 ever was this quick and fluid before. Thank You again AndDiSa! Next i will try MicroG on my MotoX Pure.
      Has anyone installed the MicroG-package-module that is offered in Magisk?
      I have tried to install aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip but fail to also install opengapps pico (twrp-3.5.2_9-0-tilapia.img). It fails with error 70 (not enough space).
      If you want gapps then you should flash the other build - not the 'mg' (MicoG) build.
      This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
      Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
      1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.5.2-9 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.5.2-9 for Tilapia
      2. Boot into Recovery
      3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
      4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20210508) (md5:0df8eea4444ba468464a2e6a0afe1ca8)
        or
      5. Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20210508) (md5: 34b256999902db4419e401b025a0b6b6)
      6. Reboot into recovery
      7. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)

[*]To get root access, I suggest to use either Magisk (V21.4) and Magsik Manager (V8.0.7) the "old" version of Magisk, or the new unified Magisk (V22.1)

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
      • Boot into Recovery
        • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20210508) (md5:0df8eea4444ba468464a2e6a0afe1ca8)
          or
        • Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20210508) (md5: 34b256999902db4419e401b025a0b6b6)
        • Reboot into recovery
        • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
        • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
        • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
      Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
      AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
      • please report

Latest Changes
      • 20210508 (AOSP 7.1.2)
        • updated with security patches from May 2021

Latest version with MicroG-patch applied to them:
      aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip (MD5: b18eed2950bed1a1cd02502fc916930a)
      aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210508.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 1861570fe5f08cfa437367702f3c7ff2)

Changelog
      Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
      AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
      but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
      Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
      AndDiSa
      Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
      ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
      Based On: AOSP

Version Information
      Stable

Created 2016-09-23
      Last Updated 2021-03-05
      Please note:
      • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
      • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.4.0, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).

Some additional hints
      • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
      • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
        Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
        After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen
      Hi guys,

first of all I would like to thank all of you for your support you offered to me in the last days and I really feel honoured that so many of your would like to support / help me so that I am able to continue the development for the Nexus 7.
      I've got many offers for a "new" Nexus device from all over the world which I really didn't expect. I was really torn between continuing and stepping out. I've thought very much about pros and cons and it wasn't an easy decision especially if you get so much positive feedback. Thank you again!

Finally I've decided to stop development for the Nexus 7 (at least for the moment). There are several other projects (not all of them related to Android) I've in mind and probably this now was a broad hint to start with something different. I've uploaded the sources of the ROMs latest version (inc. security patches for June 2019) to Github and tested together with @fidoedidoe whether all needed repos and changes are consistent and that one can build the ROM from those repos without the need of doing additional modifications or patches. The build should run smoothly after synchronizing everything. I will also support and help everybody who would like to step in and continue the builds.
      I know there are several people interested in building the ROM from sources. Probably there is someone (or probably even a group) who would like to continue ...
      Cheers,
      AndDiSa
      2019/02/05 - release for Grouper and Tilapia uploaded

I've just uploded the latest version of the ROM for Grouper and Tilapia. As always the Android security issues listed in the latest Android Security Bulletin are patched in this ROM.

Beside that once again I've worked much on the kernel side. Some features are added (multiple binder devices, alarm timer device, ...) and some bugs have been fixed.
      I am still working together with @OlliWi on the slow charging issue which occurs from time to time. Even if I was able to get charging currents up to 1500mA while the device was connected to a charger, we still have the impression that the cable / charger detection needs to be improved. We are on it ...

Those of you who are familiar with the installation process of the ROM can download directly from here, otherwise please first read the instructions in the OP

7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 885e601a06a2104628a1e450b73f3a18)
      7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 8e4c0e1955ecc0bb65a51582bb01f779)

And finally as always: flash on your own risk ... ;)
      New year ... new security fixes (2019/01/05)

Hi guys,

I've just uploaded a new version of the ROM for our beloved Nexus 7 (Grouper / Tilapia) having the January 2019 security fixed applied to it.

Beside that I found a bug causing bootloops on initial install / after wiping dalvik. This was caused by zygote not having enough memory available to create the boot.jar on the fly. To fix this issue, I am doing a dex-preopt for the boot image on compile time now which leads to a slightly larger image but improves initial boot time a bit, too.

To get more memory free on the /system partition, I debloated the ROM a bit, e.g. removed the Browser2, LegacyCamera, Music and Calendar apps as some of them even didn't work fully. There are several alternatives available in several stores which you can install if you need them. Probably most of you do not even notice that these apps were removed.

Most changes were applied to the kernel. I tested the changes in the last 4 weeks but as I have a Grouper device only and I cannot test each functionality I cannot exclude that something doesn't work as expected. So please file a bug report (best with logcat and a meaningful bug description) if you find some unexpected behaviour and I will have a look at it.

The most important fix here is probably the improved charging behaviour (many thanks to @OlliWi who provided with fruitful analysis and hints and pushed me to have a deeper look at this issue).
      To get a faster charging of the device, do not boot with a USB cable connected as this prevents the device to charge with more than 500mA (or at least disconnect and re-connect the cable after the device booted).

I've updated the links in the OP, so you can download the latest version from there.

Happy new year to all of you!
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone