[ROM][NZH54D][2024/03/c05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

Search This thread

marty_bebop

Oct 23, 2016
Grouper: September ROM MicroG, Magisk 23, Aurora Store.

One funny thing - USB debugging was turned off after installation, so the device did not show up in ADB from my PC. Had me going for a few minutes. I don't recall that happening before.

Anyway, all seems good. Very much obliged.

Reactions: AndDiSa

yedektab

Sep 21, 2021
New Versions 7.1.2 (2021-09) with several changes are available

Hi guys, I picked up a bit of pace and beside adding the new security patches for September 2021 I added a bunch of kernel patches, especially CVE-patches mitigating potential security issues.
In detail I did the following modifications / improvements:

• I fixed the crash of the clock application reported by @momentoid
  • I added a missing patch for external/sqlite
  • I applied the security fixes for September 2021
  • I optimized the kernel config settings, especially removed some superflouus settings
  • I applied / backported a bunch of CVE-kernel patches. Please have a look at the sources in Github to see the whole list of changes
The full list of changes you can find in my Github repos

Regarding the wpa_supplicant.conf changes it looks to me that there is some other modification / setting needed. A few days ago I updated my router to OpenWRT 21.02 (which has the build-in possibility to enable WPA3) and I noticed connection issues when I was using WPA3 or WPA2/WPA3 in parallel. Even setting pmf=0 in /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf had no effect as it was overwritten immediately as soon as I was switching on WiFi. Only switching back to WPA2 only resolved the issue for me. I'll further analyze the WPA3 compatibility issue and I will see whether I can find improvements here.

The "standard" versions for Grouper / Tilapia are available for download:
aosp_grouper-7.1.2-ota-20210917.eng.ds.zip (MD5: e0381d56f4f1c11c095a9d0057c50699)
aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-ota-20210917.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 7a6b6d37b2f8ee5964c8d9164305a846)

as well as the MicroG-Patched images:
aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210917.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 9ea020054cfbe1b646e1c9cdcb11358d)
aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20210917.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 617fbfddc39174fcc0486de8081448e7)

I quickly tested the ROM and didn't find issues, nevertheless I will wait for feedback from the community before I'll add the new version to the OP.

If you report a successful (or unsuccessful :)) installation, please note which version (Grouper / Tilapia, with or without MicroG-patch) you have installed and tested. Thank you very much!
Stay safe!
thanks for the rom, my nexus 7 wifi alived but i have a problem with headphone,music comes only left side how can i fix that

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
For those who have issues with installing latest Gapps, you can try to copy the attached gapps-config files into the same directory where the gapps installation packages is copied
I.e. something like

/sdcard/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20210922.zip
/sdcard/gapps-config-tilapia.txt
/sdcard/gapps-config-grouper.txt

and then try to start the installation again. Error 70 should be fixed.

Edit: I just added this hint to notes / FAQ in the second post of this thread.

Attachments

• gapps-config-tilapia.txt
    40 bytes · Views: 40
  • gapps-config-grouper.txt
    40 bytes · Views: 72
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5367514

Grouper MicroG clean flash. All good (y)

Decided to clean flash this time due to nature of changes. Takes me a bir longer to get all my apps reinstalled and configured but worth just to start afresh. I've not reinstaled KTweak though just to see how this ROM hgoes on default settngs.

momentoid

Feb 7, 2011
Notes:
- Amazon Kindle 8.46.1.0 (1.3.248903.0) updated on Sep 13, 2021 fails to start. Error message asks to make sure the ROM is an official build. Unfortunately, I didn't open this version of Kindle with Aug ROM. The previous version of Kindle worked on Aug ROM.
Update:
I uninstalled and reinstalled the above version of Amazon Kindle and it works.

@LesGirauds has a good suggestion. Do a clean install of Sep (2021-09) ROM.

dan20385

Sep 23, 2021
Sorry to derail the thread, I literally just found my old nexus 7 tablet after who knows how many years. Is there a guide available to install the latest custom rom listed above? Appreciate any guidance, thanks!

momentoid

Feb 7, 2011
Sorry to derail the thread, I literally just found my old nexus 7 tablet after who knows how many years. Is there a guide available to install the latest custom rom listed above? Appreciate any guidance, thanks!
Welcome!
We're on page 242 of this thread. Page 1 has detailed steps to install this awesome ROM.

Depending on the level of your knowledge links to the latest version, Sep (2021-09) ROM are posted on Sep 19, 2021, on this page. A few posts after the ROM links, there is a post with links for a Config file posted on Sep 22, 2021.

Hope this helps.

dan20385

Sep 23, 2021
Welcome!
We're on page 242 of this thread. Page 1 has detailed steps to install this awesome ROM.

Depending on the level of your knowledge links to the latest version, Sep (2021-09) ROM are posted on Sep 19, 2021, on this page. A few posts after the ROM links, there is a post with links for a Config file posted on Sep 22, 2021.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your response. After some playing around using WugFresh RTK, I think I have managed to do what is needed. Sorry for the silly question but after installing the GAPPS stuff, the Nexus 7 boots fine but is really slow and things such as Settings / GPlay aren't loading - is there anything I am missing? Thank you.

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@dan20385 probably the device is still compiling / optimizing the applications and services in background. Wait a bit until compilation is finished then the device should be much more responsive. I noticed, too, that Gapps and Google services became bigger and bigger over the last time and especially on the first boot it takes a while until everything is compiled.

dan20385

Sep 23, 2021
@dan20385 probably the device is still compiling / optimizing the applications and services in background. Wait a bit until compilation is finished then the device should be much more responsive. I noticed, too, that Gapps and Google services became bigger and bigger over the last time and especially on the first boot it takes a while until everything is compiled.
Thank you - I will let it rest for a while and see how it goes!

Reactions: AndDiSa

Flounderist

Jan 7, 2016
Cork
I finally found the time to upgrade from April build and I tried to flash the ROM only, no Micro-G, no GApps.
I use the device like a monitor for my USB inspection camera so I don't need the G framework at all.
I added 3 apps from apkpure (Endoscope, Nova 6 and Pixel icon pack) and...they work! :)

The tablet is very fast and responsive. No more lags at all on the UI.
Of course I would recommend this solution for those who have a very specific use of the device, like me.

@AndDiSa do you think that resizing the System partition may help in keeping the device snappy using GApps? How could the difference between GApps and no-GApps be so dramatic?

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@Flounderist I don't think that resizing the system partition does really help to keep the device snappier when having GApps installed as all applications (independently whether they are installed on /system or installed on /data) are compiled and optimized and the result is stored in dalvik-cache

Resizing /system only helps to get more Google services / applications pre-installed ...
Google services and applications became bigger and bigger over the time and in addition Google is removing more and more functionality from the prebuild ROM into updateable services they have under their control. That is the main reason why older devices having GApps installed are slowing down over the time.

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
If you really need Google services, go for microG. It doesn't slow down the tablet into oblivion like the "original" GApps do, yet still provides nearly the same functionality. But keep in mind that Google can block your Google account at their will, if you decide to use your account with microG.

Reactions: ruydevorde

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New releases with 2024/03/05 security fixes are out!

Hi guys,
    here an quarterly update of the ROMs.

I just updated the ROM files for Grouper and Tilapia having all the security updates applied to them up to March 2024. Even the kernel got some security fixes which I magpied from the DivestOS project ... ;-)

In the OP you can find the links to the Gapps- and MicroG-versions.

Please note: I didn't upload to AndroidFilehost as the servers had/still have issues. You can download directly from my webspace though ... but probably the download speed will not be as good as you are expecting.

The repositories on Github are updated, too.

@rahimali I integrated an updated prebuild WebView version into the ROM, too. Unfortunately 119.x is the latest version compatible with Android 7.1.x even though 121.0 is alrady out :-(
    Post in thread '[ROM][NZH54D][2024/03/c05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP' https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-nzh54d-...s-ext4-android-7-x-aosp.3467514/post-89373048

Try BiTGApps for 7.1.2.
    BiTGApps-arm-7.1.2-v2.7-CORE.zip (~59MB)
    Leider kommt bei der Installation der Open GApps immer der error 70. Ich hab schon alle angegebenen Möglichkeiten ausprobiert. Vorhergehende updates haben funktioniert.
    @AndDiSa vielen Dank für die jahrelange Pflege von Nexus 7
    Got one of these tablets in my hands recently and gave this ROM a go.
    Installed the image with LiteGapps, working fine.

Issues I've found: WiFi connection fails on WPA 2/3 networks or networks with multiple frequencies under the same SSID (2.4GHz and 5GHz using the same name).

I happen to have a NVIDIA Shield Tablet (shieldtablet) which also has an arm32 Tegra SoC running LineageOS and the WiFi there works well. Is it worth to give a shot at putting the wireless driver from that tablet on this one?
    This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
    Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
    1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Tilapia
    2. Boot into Recovery
    3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
    4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
      or
      Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: b9beb4aa902c0aaf271e51f37b17db17)
    5. Reboot into recovery
    6. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
      (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
    [*]To get root access, I suggest to use the unified Magisk (V27.0) which can be flashed by TWRP, too. Eventually you'll need to rename Magisk-v27.0.apk to Magisk-v27.0.zip

I was not able to flash Magisk 24.x by TWRP / direct install, nevertheless the patching boot.img method worked. For that you need to extract the boot.img from the OTA and transfer it to your devies. Then you need to patch the boot.img and transfer it back to your PC. Finally you can flash the patched boot.img using fastboot.
    For detailed instructions please consult the Magisk threads here in XDA.

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
    • Boot into Recovery
      • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
        or
        Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: b9beb4aa902c0aaf271e51f37b17db17)
      • Reboot into recovery
      • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
        (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
      • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
      • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
    Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
    AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
    • please report

Latest Changes
    • 20231212(AOSP 7.1.2)
      • security fixes up to December 2023

Latest version with MicroG-patch applied to them:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: aa5b2fe8b9c0889479f45537fb551dea)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: bc6723ea47fa9ceec36cf3e33fa3b74c)

Changelog
    Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
    AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
    but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    AndDiSa
    Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2016-09-23
    Last Updated 2021-12-09
    Please note:
    • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
    • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.5.2-9, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).
    • If you get "Error 70" when installing GApps copy the attached gapps-config files into the same directory where the gapps installation packages is copiedI.e. something like

/sdcard/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20210922.zip
      /sdcard/gapps-config-tilapia.txt
      /sdcard/gapps-config-grouper.txt

and then try to start the installation again. Error 70 should be fixed.

Some additional hints
    • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
    • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen
    Hi guys,

first of all I would like to thank all of you for your support you offered to me in the last days and I really feel honoured that so many of your would like to support / help me so that I am able to continue the development for the Nexus 7.
    I've got many offers for a "new" Nexus device from all over the world which I really didn't expect. I was really torn between continuing and stepping out. I've thought very much about pros and cons and it wasn't an easy decision especially if you get so much positive feedback. Thank you again!

Finally I've decided to stop development for the Nexus 7 (at least for the moment). There are several other projects (not all of them related to Android) I've in mind and probably this now was a broad hint to start with something different. I've uploaded the sources of the ROMs latest version (inc. security patches for June 2019) to Github and tested together with @fidoedidoe whether all needed repos and changes are consistent and that one can build the ROM from those repos without the need of doing additional modifications or patches. The build should run smoothly after synchronizing everything. I will also support and help everybody who would like to step in and continue the builds.
    I know there are several people interested in building the ROM from sources. Probably there is someone (or probably even a group) who would like to continue ...
    Cheers,
    AndDiSa
    2019/02/05 - release for Grouper and Tilapia uploaded

I've just uploded the latest version of the ROM for Grouper and Tilapia. As always the Android security issues listed in the latest Android Security Bulletin are patched in this ROM.

Beside that once again I've worked much on the kernel side. Some features are added (multiple binder devices, alarm timer device, ...) and some bugs have been fixed.
    I am still working together with @OlliWi on the slow charging issue which occurs from time to time. Even if I was able to get charging currents up to 1500mA while the device was connected to a charger, we still have the impression that the cable / charger detection needs to be improved. We are on it ...

Those of you who are familiar with the installation process of the ROM can download directly from here, otherwise please first read the instructions in the OP

7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 885e601a06a2104628a1e450b73f3a18)
    7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 8e4c0e1955ecc0bb65a51582bb01f779)

And finally as always: flash on your own risk ... ;)
    New year ... new security fixes (2019/01/05)

Hi guys,

I've just uploaded a new version of the ROM for our beloved Nexus 7 (Grouper / Tilapia) having the January 2019 security fixed applied to it.

Beside that I found a bug causing bootloops on initial install / after wiping dalvik. This was caused by zygote not having enough memory available to create the boot.jar on the fly. To fix this issue, I am doing a dex-preopt for the boot image on compile time now which leads to a slightly larger image but improves initial boot time a bit, too.

To get more memory free on the /system partition, I debloated the ROM a bit, e.g. removed the Browser2, LegacyCamera, Music and Calendar apps as some of them even didn't work fully. There are several alternatives available in several stores which you can install if you need them. Probably most of you do not even notice that these apps were removed.

Most changes were applied to the kernel. I tested the changes in the last 4 weeks but as I have a Grouper device only and I cannot test each functionality I cannot exclude that something doesn't work as expected. So please file a bug report (best with logcat and a meaningful bug description) if you find some unexpected behaviour and I will have a look at it.

The most important fix here is probably the improved charging behaviour (many thanks to @OlliWi who provided with fruitful analysis and hints and pushed me to have a deeper look at this issue).
    To get a faster charging of the device, do not boot with a USB cable connected as this prevents the device to charge with more than 500mA (or at least disconnect and re-connect the cable after the device booted).

I've updated the links in the OP, so you can download the latest version from there.

Happy new year to all of you!