• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][NZH54D][2021/10/05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

Search This thread

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
@danja95 sorry, I can only see massive crashing / stopping of apps in the log., but I saw something in the last_kmsg.log:

Linux version 3.1.10-00127-g100eed4 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.8 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 14 16:12:57 CET 2015

Can you explain me, what kernel / recovery you have installed? As far as I know thoemy provides only twrp-cmf2fs-2.8.5.0-grouper.img recovery which is outdated and *not* compatible to Nougat ROMs. Please follow the installation instructions from the OP!

danja95

Dec 21, 2017
@danja95 sorry, I can only see massive crashing / stopping of apps in the log., but I saw something in the last_kmsg.log:

Linux version 3.1.10-00127-g100eed4 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.8 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 14 16:12:57 CET 2015

Can you explain me, what kernel / recovery you have installed? As far as I know thoemy provides only twrp-cmf2fs-2.8.5.0-grouper.img recovery which is outdated and *not* compatible to Nougat ROMs. Please follow the installation instructions from the OP!

I had the latest TWRP Version! https://eu.dl.twrp.me/tilapia/twrp-3.2.1-0-tilapia.img.html

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
@danja95 Probably last_kmsg is missleading, I don't know, because the really insteresting part is missing in the logs. I see massing SIGABORT -6 all over the logfile which means the memory footprint is too high and applications are killed automatically by android due to memory shortage. But this is I can see all over the log ... so I am still wondering, what is the content of your current installation, what apps do you have installed, etc.
I from my side cannot reproduce this behaviour so something with your installation / configuration must be very special and I am trying to find out what this might be ...

abhifx

Feb 20, 2011
Chandigarh
/OT
Charging is already an issue and i have switched over to a make shift pogo pins charger (taped with the tablet). Still, yesterday my tablet went completely blank and nothing i could do to make it revive. But in a last ditched effort, i removed battery wires and reinserted again, and it worked! I am surprised and cant see the depth of pathetic build quality ASUS has put in. /End OT

It seems battery drain is so fast that with screen on i cant get the tablet charged. Anyone else has this problem? I cant keep the GPS on and charge the thing.

lkjsoiuew

Nov 17, 2010
Updated from half a year old aosp. Now
1. Google Search Bar is back. Why and how do I remove it?
2. The "Night Screen" app does not work anymore (dims the screen by overlay)
3. I have the battery drain problem, too, also in the december version
4. Where is adb over network?

Last edited:

DragonTome

Aug 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Random 'DTMF' sounds

Has anyone experienced, seemingly, random DTMF type sounds? This week, after being on the lastest Jan ROM for weeks, I began having a single tone shortly after boot which sounds like a key press on a Phone dial pad (which the Nexus does NOT have). As usage goes on through the day (perhaps related to heat? battery life?), more tones sound though not the same as the post-boot one. They occur with regular frequently after some time, perhaps once per minute. I have not installed any new apps nor made any config changes since installing the Jan ROM. Any ideas? It's pretty annoying unless I set priority only sound mode. BTW, they are NOT Notifications as far as I can tell. There are none showing in the Notification Bar, at any rate.

gregd72002

Jun 20, 2007
Omg, this worked miracles on my old Nexus 7 with Lollipop. I was about to throw it out and now I use it almost every single day :p
Great job!

The only issue I see was MTP ocassionally crashing so I simply disabled it. Also decided not to use any more google play store but some free alternatives!

f23coupe

Feb 9, 2015
1. boot to twrp, flash rom and re-flash gapps. No apps or settings will be erased, but you need to re-flash gapps. If you want root, flash magisk too.

3. same for me, there's also a similar bug on pixel 2 phones, that has a magisk fix but i haven't tried on the n7.

4. I do not have this issue, swipe down the notification tray and it should indicate that it's charging on the battery tile. Also, it should say charging on the lockscreen.

5. Mine's faster, but that may depend on how bad your nand is.

Thanks.

4. As for the battery charging, I've just experienced it again, but it's such an intermittent bug that I can live with it. The workaround has been to turn the tablet off, which then will charge. If the tablet is in the buggy state, even if I have it connected to the charger for several hours, the battery will have drained somewhat as if it wasn't being charged.

5. Is there a way to check the performance of my NAND? I've never filled the 32GB storage to max (or even half), so I'm hoping my NAND can benefit from the TRIM function that finds unused space for faster performance. But then again, I don't know how to check for this.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

@Ahkah something even better is in the queue for February ... stay tuned ;)

Sent from my Aquaris X5 Plus using XDA-Developers Legacy app

AndDiSa, are you waiting for February patches to be released before issuing a February update? I can't wait for the bug fix for the long swipe to unlock. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Has anyone experienced, seemingly, random DTMF type sounds? This week, after being on the lastest Jan ROM for weeks, I began having a single tone shortly after boot which sounds like a key press on a Phone dial pad (which the Nexus does NOT have). As usage goes on through the day (perhaps related to heat? battery life?), more tones sound though not the same as the post-boot one. They occur with regular frequently after some time, perhaps once per minute. I have not installed any new apps nor made any config changes since installing the Jan ROM. Any ideas? It's pretty annoying unless I set priority only sound mode. BTW, they are NOT Notifications as far as I can tell. There are none showing in the Notification Bar, at any rate.

No random DTMF sounds at all for me, though I'm on a December build.

HeikoE

Jul 21, 2011
The charging issue - rather not charging - happened to me twice, always when charging from a high power battery pack with a thick cable. I thought it might be a tripped electronic fuse that resets on power down.
I never had that problem when using normal chargers.

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
I just uploaded the new version of the ROM having the February security fixes applied. As I already mentioned some time ago beside the security patches there are several other changes coming with the new version. Some of them I would like to describe a bit further now.
  • fix for the screen unlocking issues
    thanks to a hint from @Charles IV I was able to backport a solution from LineageOS​
  • a huge amount of kernel changes which provide some additional functionality to the system behavior / possibilities, too
    • backport of linux kernel namespace support
      this probably is the most important change, at least for all of you who were waiting for Magisk-hide support. With the new kernel you can activate Magisk hide and even when rooted, you are able to pass SafetyNet.​
    • backport of linux kernel seccomp support
      seccomp support normally is mandatory for Nougat and beyond, but was lacking in our old kernel sources. seccomp enables the usage of minijail, Nougat+ ROMs are using when executing e.g. mediaextractor and mediacodec processes to put them into a sandbox.​
    • backport of sdcardfs support
      SDcardFS is a replacement for the FUSE filesystem which were used for external file systems (e.g. /sdcard/ ...) Oreo will renounce on FUSE and will use SDcardFS as standard as it reduced I/O overhead and has different other advantages. Currently it's still disabled as I was not able to test it very intensively, but you can try it out easily by changing the build.prop file​
    • backport of vmpressure and adaptive low memory killer
      adaptive LMK makes the LMK more aggressive dynamically, e.g. depending on the current (virtual-)memory usagee​
    • many other security patches and bug fixes

As always, the experts can download Grouper-20180209 or Tilapia-20180209 directly. If you feel unsure, probably it's better to read the OP and the second post first.

And finally, as always: flash at your own risk!

P.S.: As I was not able to test the Tilapia version, hopefully that will work, too, ... ;)

Last edited:

dark0shark

Feb 17, 2013
Hamburg
Nexus 7
Honor 8
I just uploaded the new version of the ROM having the February security fixes applied. ...
I just flashed your aosp_grouper-7.1.2-ota-eng-20180209.ds.zip successfully together with SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip (from http://www.supersu.com/download) and Open GApps pico edition. I had problems with audio playback in the Nexus 7 Docking station with previous ROM releases (see this post), but this ROM recognises the Dock for audio playback and runs seamlessly my music - great! Thanks a lot for your fantastic work @AndDiSa.

Last edited:

DragonTome

Aug 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Random 'DTMF' sounds [SOLVED]

Firstly (as I assumed though stated otherwise), the tones were not random. Using adb and logcat, I loosely correlated the tones, in time, with TSLocationManager. I started removing the location permission from some apps until the tones subsided, but they weren't yet completely gone. It took a while to tie this situation to an app, but I did. The sounds are/were debugging tones related to location requests as detailed here: https://github.com/transistorsoft/cordova-background-geolocation-lt/wiki/Debug-Sounds. An application (myAlerts) must use this frame work as it had a configuration file called TSLocationManager.xml in shared_prefs which included the debug parameter mentioned in the previous link/doc. Now, why on earth this application's configuration got corrupted, I can't say, but doing a data wipe on it and another app I suspected has, so far, left me tone free.

Last edited:
Reactions: br3wski3

rwseehoffer

Feb 10, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Perfect ROM!

I just subscribed to the forums specifically to say 'Thank you' for this fantastic ROM. I was ready to throw my 2012 Nexus 7 in the trash--it was little more than a paperweight and I was tired of looking at it. Somehow I ran across the XDA thread about custom ROMs, and the more I read the more intrigued I became. I learned how to unlock the device, install TWRP, and tried RR 6.0.1 as my first ROM but it just did not seem to work well for me. Then I ran across this version and suddenly my old paperweight is as fast as my 1 year old Galaxy Tab. Over the last couple weeks I rooted the device with SuperSU, learned about Nandroid and Titanium backups, and GApps, and installed nearly 100 user apps. Other than a pretty significant battery drain (which is okay fine with me) it's been flawless. So happy to have a backup tablet after so many years. This weekend I will be doing both my brothers' tablets as well. I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with Linux Mint 17.2 and had zero problems with the interface. Seriously--thank you!

ChipoTheDoggo

Feb 28, 2017
I can't install the latest version. I used TWRP 3.2.1 (can't find 3.2.0) everything seems find, no error messages. But when I get in there is no gapps. So if I go back and flash them Google Play Services crashes again and again. Can't even log in, I receive the "Have you logged in?" Message in my phone but in my tablet I get an error: Can't connect to Google Servers.

Also, there is no wallpaper nor Setupwizard. Only Calendar, Email, Settings, Webview Test and some other. Is this only because I usef TWRP 3.2.1? Where can I find 3.2.0? (Also used BeanGapps provided by you)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Versions 7.1.2 (2021-11) are available

Hi guys, a new release but only a few changes, i.e. the security paches for November 2021.
    The full list of changes, as always, you can find in my Github repos

The "standard" versions for Grouper / Tilapia are available for download:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-ota-20211105.eng.ds.zip (MD5: d8dfedbca14005dce954931d1953e80a)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-ota-20211105.eng.ds.zip (MD5: b5d1f12db835d236c0b736da3bcd79ed)

as well as the MicroG-Patched images:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20211105.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 4c0ef1ec4507940dda406d4fe83965b0)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20211105.eng.ds.zip (MD5: cb7d4c64a4c9d48b901f92027abc7c2e)

I quickly tested the ROM and didn't find issues, nevertheless I will wait for feedback from the community before I'll add the new version to the OP.

If you report a successful (or unsuccessful :)) installation, please note which version (Grouper / Tilapia, with or without MicroG-patch) you have installed and tested. Thank you very much!
    Stay safe!
    @Luckz27 you need to store it as it is on /sdcard no need to modify the zip. During the installation the installer checks different directories for those gapps-config-* files.
    Hi,
    How is the microG version installed? Just one file and all, or do I need extra steps? Like installing the AuroraStore?
    Quite simple. Just flash the microG version provided in post #2. Then head over to the microG download section and install the corresponding apps from there. From my point of view it makes sense to install all provided apps beside Fake Store (you can install Aurora Store directly from F-Droid, for example). Reboot your device afterwards, then open microG Settings app and set it up. That's it.

EDIT: by adding the microG custom repo to your F-Droid sources, you can get automatic microG updates via F-Droid.
    @ev-olution_net one additional question: in which country you are living? It came into my mind that in Germany all network operators have shut down their 3G networks (UMTS) in favour of 5G. So if 2G is working but 3G not it's probably due to the fact that there is no 3G available ...
    Grouper MicroG installed and working. (y)

Dirty flashed and re-rooted.
    This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
    Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
    1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.5.2-9 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.5.2-9 for Tilapia
    2. Boot into Recovery
    3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
    4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20211006) (md5 :b57ddee37bad03f59e2eff562076b027)
      or
    5. Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20211006) (md5: 65ea4ea189a41ec7792fb13a876157da)
    6. Reboot into recovery
    7. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
      (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)

[*]To get root access, I suggest to use either Magisk (V21.4) and Magsik Manager (V8.0.7) the "old" version of Magisk, or the new unified Magisk (V23.0) which can be flashed by TWRP, too. Probably you'll need to rename Magisk-v23.0.apk to Magisk-v23.0.zip

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
    • Boot into Recovery
      • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20211006) (md5 :b57ddee37bad03f59e2eff562076b027)
        or
      • Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20211006) (md5: 65ea4ea189a41ec7792fb13a876157da)
      • Reboot into recovery
      • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
        (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
      • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
      • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
    Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
    AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
    • please report

Latest Changes
    • 20211006(AOSP 7.1.2)
      • I applied the security fixes for Otctober 2021
      • I applied / backported a few CVE-kernel patches

Latest version with MicroG-patch applied to them:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20211006.eng.ds.zip (MD5: d5d788b3fa735c3e57d9f0fb562e15f6)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20211006.eng.ds.zip (MD5: 643f8fdf2195c2395f788611578c108e)

Changelog
    Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
    AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
    but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    AndDiSa
    Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2016-09-23
    Last Updated 2021-03-05
    Please note:
    • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
    • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.5.2-9, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).
    • If you get "Error 70" when installing GApps copy the attached gapps-config files into the same directory where the gapps installation packages is copiedI.e. something like

/sdcard/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20210922.zip
      /sdcard/gapps-config-tilapia.txt
      /sdcard/gapps-config-grouper.txt

and then try to start the installation again. Error 70 should be fixed.

Some additional hints
    • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
    • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen
    Hi guys,

first of all I would like to thank all of you for your support you offered to me in the last days and I really feel honoured that so many of your would like to support / help me so that I am able to continue the development for the Nexus 7.
    I've got many offers for a "new" Nexus device from all over the world which I really didn't expect. I was really torn between continuing and stepping out. I've thought very much about pros and cons and it wasn't an easy decision especially if you get so much positive feedback. Thank you again!

Finally I've decided to stop development for the Nexus 7 (at least for the moment). There are several other projects (not all of them related to Android) I've in mind and probably this now was a broad hint to start with something different. I've uploaded the sources of the ROMs latest version (inc. security patches for June 2019) to Github and tested together with @fidoedidoe whether all needed repos and changes are consistent and that one can build the ROM from those repos without the need of doing additional modifications or patches. The build should run smoothly after synchronizing everything. I will also support and help everybody who would like to step in and continue the builds.
    I know there are several people interested in building the ROM from sources. Probably there is someone (or probably even a group) who would like to continue ...
    Cheers,
    AndDiSa
    2019/02/05 - release for Grouper and Tilapia uploaded

I've just uploded the latest version of the ROM for Grouper and Tilapia. As always the Android security issues listed in the latest Android Security Bulletin are patched in this ROM.

Beside that once again I've worked much on the kernel side. Some features are added (multiple binder devices, alarm timer device, ...) and some bugs have been fixed.
    I am still working together with @OlliWi on the slow charging issue which occurs from time to time. Even if I was able to get charging currents up to 1500mA while the device was connected to a charger, we still have the impression that the cable / charger detection needs to be improved. We are on it ...

Those of you who are familiar with the installation process of the ROM can download directly from here, otherwise please first read the instructions in the OP

7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 885e601a06a2104628a1e450b73f3a18)
    7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 8e4c0e1955ecc0bb65a51582bb01f779)

And finally as always: flash on your own risk ... ;)
    New year ... new security fixes (2019/01/05)

Hi guys,

I've just uploaded a new version of the ROM for our beloved Nexus 7 (Grouper / Tilapia) having the January 2019 security fixed applied to it.

Beside that I found a bug causing bootloops on initial install / after wiping dalvik. This was caused by zygote not having enough memory available to create the boot.jar on the fly. To fix this issue, I am doing a dex-preopt for the boot image on compile time now which leads to a slightly larger image but improves initial boot time a bit, too.

To get more memory free on the /system partition, I debloated the ROM a bit, e.g. removed the Browser2, LegacyCamera, Music and Calendar apps as some of them even didn't work fully. There are several alternatives available in several stores which you can install if you need them. Probably most of you do not even notice that these apps were removed.

Most changes were applied to the kernel. I tested the changes in the last 4 weeks but as I have a Grouper device only and I cannot test each functionality I cannot exclude that something doesn't work as expected. So please file a bug report (best with logcat and a meaningful bug description) if you find some unexpected behaviour and I will have a look at it.

The most important fix here is probably the improved charging behaviour (many thanks to @OlliWi who provided with fruitful analysis and hints and pushed me to have a deeper look at this issue).
    To get a faster charging of the device, do not boot with a USB cable connected as this prevents the device to charge with more than 500mA (or at least disconnect and re-connect the cable after the device booted).

I've updated the links in the OP, so you can download the latest version from there.

Happy new year to all of you!