[ROM][NZH54D][2024/03/05][Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi/3G][F2FS/EXT4]Android 7.x AOSP

Search This thread

Csöndi

Mar 6, 2017
@AndDiSa

I installed the latest rom, gapps and magisk as usual, and played around with it. I got the black screen with the android logo about 5-6 times while setting thing up and playing around.
After the first couple of times it happend, i was just after the fist boot and initial setup. The device got faster after the "reboot" like incidents, animations became smoother, although i couldn't access any settings, because the app wouldn't load. I would see a blank white screen and a notofication bar in grey. When i tried to close the app everything slows down, and i get the logo screen. Same things with the playstore on some occasions.
After a couple of trys the settings menu started working, so did the play store.
The wifi connects, has no internet for 1 minute or 2, i get the sudden android logo again, and after that i have a connection.
I installed a couple of apps, and tried browsing the web, but i get interrupted by that logo screen, and put back on the lockscreen.

I hope that any of this is of use to you, and not just a giant waste of time.

Attachments

• logcat2.7z
    85.2 KB · Views: 6

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@Csöndi in that log I can see several system crashes and due to that the initialization of the system is starting over and over. Even if I was not able to identify the root cause ... :(
Can you explain a bit how you did the installation? I am asking because I saw some messages like that:

Code:
02-10 19:20:28.293  6045  6097 W PackageManager: Trying to update system app code path from /system/priv-app/Phonesky to /data/app/com.android.vending-1
02-10 19:20:28.294  6045  6097 W PackageManager: Code path for com.android.vending changing from /system/priv-app/Phonesky to /data/app/com.android.vending-1
02-10 19:20:28.294  6045  6097 W PackageManager: Resource path for com.android.vending changing from /system/priv-app/Phonesky to /data/app/com.android.vending-1
02-10 19:20:28.299  6045  6097 W PackageManager: Permission com.android.vending.appdiscoveryservice.permission.ACCESS_APP_DISCOVERY_SERVICE from package com.android.vending in an unknown group android.permission-group.NETWORK

which is indicating that on /data there are already some apps installed which on a clean system should not be the case.

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
I can't install the latest version. I used TWRP 3.2.1 (can't find 3.2.0) everything seems find, no error messages. But when I get in there is no gapps. So if I go back and flash them Google Play Services crashes again and again. Can't even log in, I receive the "Have you logged in?" Message in my phone but in my tablet I get an error: Can't connect to Google Servers.

Also, there is no wallpaper nor Setupwizard. Only Calendar, Email, Settings, Webview Test and some other. Is this only because I usef TWRP 3.2.1? Where can I find 3.2.0? (Also used BeanGapps provided by you)
Factory Reset - Advanced in TWRP - Manually Wipe System - Data and Cache - Flash Rom - SuperSU SR5 v2.82 or Magisk 15.3 - REBOOT - Boot back into TWRP - Flash Gapps (I use Pico) Reboot and Setup - Works for me ?

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

Reactions: ChipoTheDoggo

Csöndi

Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for looking into this!

I have the latest twrp, ver 3.2.1
I did a manual wipe, checked all the boxes including internal storage.
I made sure that the file system is ext4 on sys, data and cache.
Installed the rom zip afer copying it on the internal
Rebooted to twrp.
Installed beans GApps, the one linked in op.
Rebooted to twrp
Installed Magisk 15.3
Rebooted to system.

In the initial setup the wifi had some problems, and now that you mention it, it did try to update something while in the initial setup, despite the fact that i chose "setup as new".

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@Csöndi probably the best way would be to do the initial setup as @shaggyskunk wrote in the post before .... and one hint: let it settle down a bit before starting to use it. The system apps are *not* pre-compiled due to space issues on /system. Due to that they need to be compiled on the first start / after a dalvik-cache wipe and this may take a bit. Even if the start screen is shown compilation / optimization is continuing for a while ...

Na_

Feb 11, 2018
ROM Problem

So, last night I finally got my tablet up and running and not lagging like nuts in the Wi-Fi. For some reason, I can't download any applications from the Google Play Store, the home and recent apps thing won't work, nor will the Performance Contol open. I have used the latest release grouper and gapps from the one in late 2017. Also, I already rooted my tablet a long time ago.

petrus764

Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for yet another great update to this ****ty little tablet. Great to see magisk hide support, now I can finally update netflix via play store. Good job as always!

OpenMinded

Oct 26, 2006
a few more notes:
- also had issues with gapps. pico didn't work, hung setup after factory reset - eventually worked the beans mini one after a factory reset
- why on earth is the camera apk missing? I attached the one from the factory system image after many google camera versions crashing or not installing
otherwise, nice ROM, thanks

Attachments

• GoogleCamera.apk
    6.2 MB · Views: 40

ChipoTheDoggo

Feb 28, 2017
Factory Reset - Advanced in TWRP - Manually Wipe System - Data and Cache - Flash Rom - SuperSU SR5 v2.82 or Magisk 15.3 - REBOOT - Boot back into TWRP - Flash Gapps (I use Pico) Reboot and Setup - Works for me

Sent from my SM-G955W

I did exactly this. Still doesn't work. Really weird, first time I have this kind of issues. I'll download everything again. Maybe something went wrong during download process.

a few more notes:
- also had issues with gapps. pico didn't work, hung setup after factory reset - eventually worked the beans mini one after a factory reset
- why on earth is the camera apk missing? I attached the one from the factory system image after many google camera versions crashing or not installing
otherwise, nice ROM, thanks

Every Nexus 7 ROM I used had Camera missing. I always install Camera M from Google Play. Works flawlessly

Last edited:

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
I did exactly this. Still doesn't work. Really weird, first time I have this kind of issues. I'll download everything again. Maybe something went wrong during download process.
Yeah it's also a good idea to check the size of the zips that you download - I know that I've occasionally had an issue when I didn't check and for some reason the zip download was incomplete ??

Sent from my SM-G955W ??

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
One question to the guys who have issues with installation: do you have a Grouper or a Tilapia? It might be that on Tilapia there is probably less space available for the Gapps and due to that you are getting the issues. One solution might be to try Magisk-Systemless Gapps ...

DumF0rGaming

Translator
Jan 8, 2013
Dubai
One question to the guys who have issues with installation: do you have a Grouper or a Tilapia? It might be that on Tilapia there is probably less space available for the Gapps and due to that you are getting the issues. One solution might be to try Magisk-Systemless Gapps ...
Jan build had 204Mb left on /system partition after Pico build. I'm highly recommend it for this tablet to avoid resource-wasting overheads

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@OpenMinded is this the camera app from Lollipop? This probably might work, but the AOSP Camera Apps from Marshmallow / Nougat will not as Grouper / Tilapia have a front camera only and this is not supported. As I am building from the sources only, I do not have installed the camera app

OpenMinded

Oct 26, 2006
@OpenMinded is this the camera app from Lollipop? This probably might work, but the AOSP Camera Apps from Marshmallow / Nougat will not as Grouper / Tilapia have a front camera only and this is not supported. As I am building from the sources only, I do not have installed the camera app
Hi, yes it is. I also noticed some Camera app is already there in /system/app called Camera2.
I thought at first there was none and it seemed to work to install the apk, but it disappears after a reboot.
So questions are:
- why doesn't the Camera2.apk show up as an app?
- why does the GoogleCamera.apk from the 5.1.1 ROM disappear after a reboot?

I am guessing some init script does it but I couldn't find it. When I removed Camera2 and put the other in /system/app, it also didn't work.
It would be great if this can be fixed, otherwise this ROM is great! thanks

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
@OpenMinded thank you for the hint. Really speaking I didn't notice that there was still the Camera2 app included within the build, I thought I had already removed it. Most likely because Camera2 is more recent then the Camera app from Lolipop it's beeing ignored even when installed. In the next builds I'll remove it, so probably we will even gain some additional space on /system ...

OpenMinded

Oct 26, 2006
@OpenMinded thank you for the hint. Really speaking I didn't notice that there was still the Camera2 app included within the build, I thought I had already removed it. Most likely because Camera2 is more recent then the Camera app from Lolipop it's beeing ignored even when installed. In the next builds I'll remove it, so probably we will even gain some additional space on /system ...

Hi, you're welcome. I think that app also works once properly registered, because the camera drivers are in there.
Whenever I remove it and install the original camera app, it works during that boot.
When I reboot, I see the icon and then see it gets removed.
So it seems something is messing with the camera app registration/installation.
It would be great if that app just works, even when it's only a front cam, it can be useful for Hangouts and stuff.

I quickly looked through the init files and notices gapps doing something with camera files and I commented the affecting lines to no avail.
I am actually able to run the camera app and then when I close it it shows not installed and disappears.
Would be great to remove that from happening :)

Csöndi

Mar 6, 2017
I commented earlier about my problems on the feb build. Did any of you with issues install magisk? I red some reports in other threads saying it messes with some 7.x.x roms. My grouper seems to be working now on the new build after noumerous formatings, and rom redownloads, reinstalls without any root solutions for now. I haven't been able to test is for a longer time period tho.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is about installing and using AOSP 7.x (Nougat) ROM for the ASUS Nexus 7 Grouper / Tilapia devices.

Asus - Model names

Grouper = Asus Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
    Tilapia = Asus Nexus 7 2012 3G

Initial Setup Installation
    1. Update Recovery to TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Grouper resp. TWRP 3.7.0-9 for Tilapia
    2. Boot into Recovery
    3. Factory Reset (only needed if you are not already on Android 7.x AOSP)
    4. Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
      or
      Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: b9beb4aa902c0aaf271e51f37b17db17)
    5. Reboot into recovery
    6. Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
      (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
    [*]To get root access, I suggest to use the unified Magisk (V27.0) which can be flashed by TWRP, too. Eventually you'll need to rename Magisk-v27.0.apk to Magisk-v27.0.zip

I was not able to flash Magisk 24.x by TWRP / direct install, nevertheless the patching boot.img method worked. For that you need to extract the boot.img from the OTA and transfer it to your devies. Then you need to patch the boot.img and transfer it back to your PC. Finally you can flash the patched boot.img using fastboot.
    For detailed instructions please consult the Magisk threads here in XDA.

Do not install Magisk on initial setup as it might lead to issues. Start the ROM without having root access the first time and install Magisk in a second step.

If you are already on Android 7.x AOSP, it's sufficient to do the follwowing steps:

Update Installation
    • Boot into Recovery
      • Install 7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: 81b65db59a0690d6f5a5f1791133d684)
        or
        Install 7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20240306) (MD5: b9beb4aa902c0aaf271e51f37b17db17)
      • Reboot into recovery
      • Install Open GApps (arm/7.1/pico)
        (if you have issues regarding the size of the GApps please refer to the next post)
      • Wipe cache/dalvik-cache (optional, but suggested)
      • reboot

Important: For more detailed installation instructions please refer to the next post
    Important: First boot after upgrading will take a bit longer (stays on ANDROID) because of art optimizations

flash and use on your own risk!

CREDITS,
    AOSP/Google, LineageOS, Ziyann for setting up the Grouper-AOSP repository and his Unlegacy Android project, daniel_hk for some hints how to get the 3.1 kernel running with N, timduru for his work on the Asus Transformer, Timur Mehrvarz for his work on the tegra kernel, Francisco Franco for his kernel work in general

Bugs:
    • please report

Latest Changes
    • 20231212(AOSP 7.1.2)
      • security fixes up to December 2023

Latest version with MicroG-patch applied to them:
    aosp_grouper-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: aa5b2fe8b9c0889479f45537fb551dea)
    aosp_tilapia-7.1.2-mg-ota-20240306.eng.ds.zip (MD5: bc6723ea47fa9ceec36cf3e33fa3b74c)

Changelog
    Please refer to the changes found in the github repos

All ota packages can be found here:
    AndDiSa ROM files repository

Sources

https://github.com/AndDiSa

If you would like to build from the sources, you can do so by cloning and build from repositories:
    but please take in mind that you need to have some free space (>= 100 GB) and some time ...

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android 7.x AOSP, ROM for the Nexus 7

Contributors
    AndDiSa
    Source Code: https://github.com/AndDiSa?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2016-09-23
    Last Updated 2021-12-09
    Please note:
    • the system partition is already quite full which leads to the problem that gapps probably will not install correctly and that may lead to weired problems (apps closing / not showing up correctly / ...). I suggest to use the dynamic gapps package linked above. In addition I suggest you to erase the system partition completely before applying the OTA package
    • If you get "Error 7" when trying to flash the ROM directly after upgrading to TWRP 3.5.2-9, wipe the Boot, System and Cache partition and clean dalvik-cache, then re-boot to Recovery and try again (you will not loose any data as long as you do not wipe the Data partition).
    • If you get "Error 70" when installing GApps copy the attached gapps-config files into the same directory where the gapps installation packages is copiedI.e. something like

/sdcard/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20210922.zip
      /sdcard/gapps-config-tilapia.txt
      /sdcard/gapps-config-grouper.txt

and then try to start the installation again. Error 70 should be fixed.

Some additional hints
    • If you are in a bootloop which shows to Google logo again and again, it's sufficient to hold vol- while booting. The next bootloop will boot into bootloader.
    • If you are in a bootloop which shows the ANDROID splash screen continuusly, connect your device to your PC and enter
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      After a few seconds the device should show up the bootloader screen
    Hi guys,

first of all I would like to thank all of you for your support you offered to me in the last days and I really feel honoured that so many of your would like to support / help me so that I am able to continue the development for the Nexus 7.
    I've got many offers for a "new" Nexus device from all over the world which I really didn't expect. I was really torn between continuing and stepping out. I've thought very much about pros and cons and it wasn't an easy decision especially if you get so much positive feedback. Thank you again!

Finally I've decided to stop development for the Nexus 7 (at least for the moment). There are several other projects (not all of them related to Android) I've in mind and probably this now was a broad hint to start with something different. I've uploaded the sources of the ROMs latest version (inc. security patches for June 2019) to Github and tested together with @fidoedidoe whether all needed repos and changes are consistent and that one can build the ROM from those repos without the need of doing additional modifications or patches. The build should run smoothly after synchronizing everything. I will also support and help everybody who would like to step in and continue the builds.
    I know there are several people interested in building the ROM from sources. Probably there is someone (or probably even a group) who would like to continue ...
    Cheers,
    AndDiSa
    2019/02/05 - release for Grouper and Tilapia uploaded

I've just uploded the latest version of the ROM for Grouper and Tilapia. As always the Android security issues listed in the latest Android Security Bulletin are patched in this ROM.

Beside that once again I've worked much on the kernel side. Some features are added (multiple binder devices, alarm timer device, ...) and some bugs have been fixed.
    I am still working together with @OlliWi on the slow charging issue which occurs from time to time. Even if I was able to get charging currents up to 1500mA while the device was connected to a charger, we still have the impression that the cable / charger detection needs to be improved. We are on it ...

Those of you who are familiar with the installation process of the ROM can download directly from here, otherwise please first read the instructions in the OP

7.1.2 Grouper OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 885e601a06a2104628a1e450b73f3a18)
    7.1.2 Tilapia OTA-Package (Build 20190209) (md5: 8e4c0e1955ecc0bb65a51582bb01f779)

And finally as always: flash on your own risk ... ;)
    New year ... new security fixes (2019/01/05)

Hi guys,

I've just uploaded a new version of the ROM for our beloved Nexus 7 (Grouper / Tilapia) having the January 2019 security fixed applied to it.

Beside that I found a bug causing bootloops on initial install / after wiping dalvik. This was caused by zygote not having enough memory available to create the boot.jar on the fly. To fix this issue, I am doing a dex-preopt for the boot image on compile time now which leads to a slightly larger image but improves initial boot time a bit, too.

To get more memory free on the /system partition, I debloated the ROM a bit, e.g. removed the Browser2, LegacyCamera, Music and Calendar apps as some of them even didn't work fully. There are several alternatives available in several stores which you can install if you need them. Probably most of you do not even notice that these apps were removed.

Most changes were applied to the kernel. I tested the changes in the last 4 weeks but as I have a Grouper device only and I cannot test each functionality I cannot exclude that something doesn't work as expected. So please file a bug report (best with logcat and a meaningful bug description) if you find some unexpected behaviour and I will have a look at it.

The most important fix here is probably the improved charging behaviour (many thanks to @OlliWi who provided with fruitful analysis and hints and pushed me to have a deeper look at this issue).
    To get a faster charging of the device, do not boot with a USB cable connected as this prevents the device to charge with more than 500mA (or at least disconnect and re-connect the cable after the device booted).

I've updated the links in the OP, so you can download the latest version from there.

Happy new year to all of you!