• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11.0][Dipper] Pixel Experience [AOSP]

Search This thread

predragiPredrag

Jan 8, 2012
Hello guys,

I hope I can post my doubts in this thread since I'm interested in flashing PixelExperience ROM (or LineageOS just out of curiosity to check them both) on my device.
I used to brick my Xiaomi Mi 8 device once because of the anti rollback protection and I would like to avoid it in the future, so that I feel quite insecure about that and try to be extra safe to not broke it anymore.

I' looked across the Internet and XDA-Developers forum for details about ARB system, I read XDA-Developers' blog post about that, I watched few YouTube videos and so on, but still some things are not really clear for me.
I know that TWRP does not compare the ARB indices so it's an open way to brick device, so I just want to compare it manually to be sure that the PixelExperience/LineageOS ROM's ARB value is not lower than device's one.
I have checked the ARB index on my phone, and the fastboot getvar anti command returns index of 1 value. How can I check the custom ROM's ARB value?
I understand that I can check it by unpacking recovery .tar.gz archive file and checking the script variable in flash-all.bat, but I think it only applies for MIUI ROM.
How can I check that for custom ROMs?

The second question is I think somehow related to the previous one.
I see that the firmware updates are available in some topic below.
I think it is necessary or highly recommended to install it, isn't it?
Is it also possible to fire the ARB protection by flashing the firmware?

Thank you in advance for help!
I have unlocked my bootloader when I switched to MIUI12, I didn't like it and i tried PE 10 version flashing it over TWRP. So from my experience you will not be able to break your phone whilde flashing custom ROMs using TWRP, just you have to doo full whipe if you change ROMs or android versions of same ROM.
Regarding firmware it is there to update in short device and modem drivers that are provided from Xiaomi so you can flash them only when new release comes out.
On the System Update screen that shows an update downloaded OTA there is a button "Install now". If I use it - the phone will be unbootable. Why?
If I install the update from Recovery - is it possible to avoid formatting Data partition?
If not - why??
If you install update from recovery it will not do format of your device, it will just update your ROM. Formating data will be done only if you do it yourself.

Jan 24, 2011
Hi, in august I succesfull installed PE on my MI 8 following the official guide here:
https://wiki.pixelexperience.org/devices/dipper/install/#installing-pixelexperience-from-recovery including the "Format data" step to remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage.
Now I received the update via OTA but when the phone reboot in recovery it asks for a password to decrypt the filesystem.
Well, the only password I set in the device is the pin to unlock the screen.
So, why my phone wants a password? And How can I now remove the encryption and update the phone without wipe it again?

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
Face unlock doesnt work as good as original MIUI Rom, it was fast and reliable before but after I installed this rom, it fails to unlock 30% of the times and it is much slower when it works.
does anyone else have this issue ?

vistad

Oct 19, 2010
I have unlocked my bootloader when I switched to MIUI12, I didn't like it and i tried PE 10 version flashing it over TWRP. So from my experience you will not be able to break your phone whilde flashing custom ROMs using TWRP, just you have to doo full whipe if you change ROMs or android versions of same ROM.
Regarding firmware it is there to update in short device and modem drivers that are provided from Xiaomi so you can flash them only when new release comes out.

If you install update from recovery it will not do format of your device, it will just update your ROM. Formating data will be done only if you do it yourself.
Thank you, I will try it. I suppose the phone should work fine after that. But isn't it called "a dirty install"? Are there anything bad expected after such install - like something won't work?

Victor09099090

Sep 30, 2021
disculpen la ignorancia despues de descargar el archivo que necesito para actualizar el android de mi8 que mas debo hacer como instalo lo que descargue ?
excuse the ignorance after downloading the file I need to update the android of mi8, what else should I do, how do I install what I download?

fifthelement

Jun 12, 2006
Yes, it's true that the sound in the custom firmware is worse than in MIUI.
For that you should install some audio mod (Dolby Sound, Motorola EQ or some other).
I contacted the ROM maintainer and he said no one has reported this issue.
For clarification I am talking about the volume of in-call earpiece and not the music or speaker quality.
Dont you guys feel the same way ? or I have lost my hearing. lol

predragiPredrag

Jan 8, 2012
For clarification I am talking about the volume of in-call earpiece and not the music or speaker quality.
Clean your speaker and it will be fine, use old toothbrush and alcohol. Brush in all directions and it will be better.
It was night and day in my case.
P.S. new version fixed selfie for inbuild camera app.

Reactions: ua_molny

Top Liked Posts

Working ok on my side. Face unlock uses IR camera. Also I am on plus version.
    did a clean flash and everything is normal now 😉
    Try clean the ear speaker mesh. Maybe there's dust/dirt in it.
    Clean your speaker and it will be fine, use old toothbrush and alcohol. Brush in all directions and it will be better.
    It was night and day in my case.
    P.S. new version fixed selfie for inbuild camera app.
    Hello guys, i have two questions.
    1: Is there any way to have automatic call recording like miui rom have?
    2: I clean installed this rom version 2021-07-17. Is it safe to dirty flash this new 2021-09-26? OTA is not working because i use orange fox recovery...
    1. For Magisk rooted device I can recommend you Axet's Call Recorder. Just find "Call Recorder" Magisk module in the repository, install it and reboot your phone and you will find the Call Recorder app installed. Great sound quality imo. One downside is that I need to start it manually once device is rebooted.
    I'd like to get help to debug an audio-related problem:
    I can't play any 44.1 khz content on dipper without Android resampling it to 48 khz, losing audio quality. A 'dumpsys media.audio_flinger' always reports using MIXER by means of 'deep_buffer' at 48 khz and ignores 'direct_pcm' flag using Hi-Res driver (direct_pcm) in dedicated apps like 'Neutron Player' or 'PowerAmp'.

In MIUI (Android 10) a dumpsys in both apps reported DIRECT out 44.1 khz, and 'MX Player' app 'compressed_offload' out at 44.1khz aswell instead of 'deep_buffer' and MIXER at 48 khz.

It seems audioflinger is not using Mi 8 internal DSP to offload audio decoding and bypass Android mixer, enforcing deep_buffer instead:
    During playback, Poweramp Hi-Res options:

DSP: Float64/32 bit, 44.1 khz Output: Hi-Res Output Direct HD 10 24 bit 48 khz.
    Wired-Headphones, Hi-Res On: Sampling Frequency: Selected: 44.1 Using: 48 khz.
    "The sampling frequency is being defined by the device"

Poweramp output log:

sdm845 is_snapdragon
    reading=/vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf
    has direct_pcm_24, sampling_rates=44100|48000|88200|96000|176400|192000|352800|384000
    AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT direct_pcm_24
    has direct_pcm_24 formats=AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_PACKED|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_8_24_BIT|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_32_BIT
    FLAG_VARIANT_DIRECT_HD via direct_pcm_24
    forcing FLAG_DLFCN FLAG_NEEDS_DEEP_BUFFER FLAG_NEEDS_EXTRA_SLEEPS

I have reported this bug in PowerAmp website, but it also happens in Neutron Player and MXPlayer, while MIUI used 'direct' and 'compressed_ offload' respectively. It seems a PE behaviour.
    In MIUI, deep_buffer was used by generic apps like Chrome browser.

Our Mi 8 has a Qualcomm Aqstic DSP chip, I think wcd 9340 https://www.qualcomm.com/products/wcd9340 with dual 44.1/48 Khz clocks so it should allow any multiple sample rate playback without Android resampling it with dedicated music apps.

Edit: I have opened a bug on PE github here:
    https://github.com/PixelExperience/android-issues/issues/832
    Hello to the Devs,
    Can someone explain the diffs between PE and PE Plus versions?
    I am using PixelPlus UI on my Dipper currently, is it worth the time to come to PE Plus right now?
    There are comparations on Youtube no need to ask someone to write it down. In short plus version has more customisations.

NFjZzFl.png

PixelExperience for Xiaomi MI 8 [dipper]

What is this?
    PixelExperience is an AOSP based ROM, with Google apps included and all Pixel goodies (launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, boot animation)

Our mission is to offer the maximum possible stability and security, along with essential and useful features for the proper functioning of the device

Based on Android 11

Whats working?
    Wi-Fi
    RIL
    Mobile data
    GPS
    Camera
    Flashlight
    Camcorder
    Bluetooth
    FM radio
    Fingerprint reader
    Face unlock
    NFC
    Lights
    Sound/vibration

Known issues
    Nothing yet
    You tell me

DON'T FLASH GAPPS, THEY'RE ALREADY INCLUDED
    Download from PixelExperience website

Donate
    Jhenrique09 Paypal
    GiaSen PayPal

If you liked my work, give me a beer, thanks!

Translation
    Help with project translation

Stay tuned
    Our Telegram channel
    Our blog

April update up
    Changelog
    **Device Specific Changes:**
    - Etude kernel: Op.11 No.4
    * Linux 4.9.267
    * some upstream fixes of cpufreq_stats
    * fixed an issue where the frequency of big CPU cores is locked to a maximum of 1286MHz; the frequency of the big cluster is supposed to be restricted under 1286MHz if you battery is at or below 10%, as part of Qualcomm's thermal mitigation, but on previous versions, the frequency restriction was not removed after the phone is charged above 10%
    * default to suspend to RAM instead of s2idle (suspend to idle) for around a 25% reduction of idle battery drain
    * DO NOT use a third party kernel without proper support for Pixel thermal hal
    - Adjusted thermal configs to delay CPU frequency drop and smoothen the thermal throttling curve
    - Implemented dynamic thermal profile to work with Pixel thermal engine
    * the option is accessible under Settings/Battery/Optimization profiles (in case you are wondering, they had no effect on PE11 before this change)
    * thermal configs are dynamically loaded on a per-app basis
    * only the gaming profile is available besides the default profile, because other use cases are covered well enough by the default profile
    * the gaming profile maintains CPU frequency at even higher temperature compared the default profile
    * surface temperatures are measured by an infrared thermometer with matching emissivity to ensure they stay below the allowed maximum values of continuously held electronic devices in IEC 60950-1 (2005) standard
    * thermal profile is NOT a replacement for proper cooling. If you want better performance, you should cool your device. - Eliminated all SELinux neverallows and cleaned up unneeded or broken sepolicy
    * the latest Riru installation should work now. Note that if you use any mods like this, you will not receive support from me
    - Updated telephony blobs from pyxis 21.3.31 to fix random qtibus crashes in the background
    - Went back to Secure Element 1.0 to work with the updated blobs
    - Stopped enforcing s2idle from userspace init script so the kernel can suspend to RAM for better idle battery drain
    - Cleaned some unused config overlays
    **ROM update highlights:**
    - April security update
    - Fixed the issue of weather information not showing up in "At a glance" on the home screen of Pixel Launcher
    - Improved Face Unlock. The issue of front camera being occupied should happen less frequently. Let me know if you still encounter it - Devices will only use dark boot animation from now on
    - Translation updates
    New build is up, check OP for Download
    Changelog:
    - NFC Payments should be fixed
    - General improvements
    - DO NOT use a third party kernel without proper support for Pixel thermal hal
    Congrats on the new maintainership
    @GiaSen you can contact @DarkAngelGR he fixed NFC payment in his Evolution X Rom.