• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (hlte*)

Search This thread

odoll

Feb 12, 2017
Beside the reboots - luckily had none the last couple of days - but the hlte is also draining it's battery very fast now. And even though I bought a new battery only a few month before the issues started it only lasts for ~ 24 hrs these days and that although the mobile is lying idle on a sideboard for 95% of the day.
(And yes, the new battery is really better, because when I put in the old one for the a test it lasted even significantly shorter than 24 hrs.)

Maybe I'm "going back in time" for a test: I still have the lineage-18.1-20210918-nightly-hlte-signed version on file, but would maybe sb be able to help out with an even older version, e.g. beginning of Sep (4th?)?

any kernel to advise for a good battery life?

my note 3 lost 15-20% in the night, like if the phone didn't comme in "deep sleep" mode...
I tried to revert from lineage-18.1-20211120-nightly-hlte-signed back to lineage-18.1-20210918-nightly-hlte-signed, but without success, as it got into a boot loop after the downgrade. (Though I locked myself out in the beginning as I forgot to deactivate Smart Lock / display PIN, the device comes up and asks for the SIM PIN, but it reboots very shortly after that.)
As I still have a spare hlte lying around - though its display is broken and due to a water leakage can't connect to a mobile network any longer - I maybe set it up with LOS as well and simulate a transfer to a "new" phone with all my apps and settings to see how long the battery will last in there, if there's no difference I thin lolz kernel might be worth a try, too - or in the end I have to bite the bullet going for a new mobile in the end ...

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
is there a "all-in profile" to apply to improve battery lige?

I flashet LOLZ and use smartpack kernel...

RandomGuy6732

Oct 22, 2016
Valencia City
Do you guys experience bluetooth turning on and off issues when connected and playing on a bluetooth speaker? My device is N900S and my baseband version is N900SKSU0GPI1 which seems to be the latest version from sammobile for N900S. So I would assume it has the latest bootloader and modem for N900S. I noticed that I mostly experience this bug when both bluetooth and wifi are on. Even when wifi is connected to a 5GHz network. When wifi is off, bluetooth only seldomly turns off and disconnects. Anyway to solve this? Can I flash latest bootloader and modem from N9005 model to my N900S? I am on the latest current build of Lineage OS btw which is 18.1-20211124.

Didact

Nov 28, 2021
I tried to revert from lineage-18.1-20211120-nightly-hlte-signed back to lineage-18.1-20210918-nightly-hlte-signed, but without success, as it got into a boot loop after the downgrade. (Though I locked myself out in the beginning as I forgot to deactivate Smart Lock / display PIN, the device comes up and asks for the SIM PIN, but it reboots very shortly after that.)
As I still have a spare hlte lying around - though its display is broken and due to a water leakage can't connect to a mobile network any longer - I maybe set it up with LOS as well and simulate a transfer to a "new" phone with all my apps and settings to see how long the battery will last in there, if there's no difference I thin lolz kernel might be worth a try, too - or in the end I have to bite the bullet going for a new mobile in the end ...
First post here, I just want to say that I'm truly grateful that jprimero and haggertk were able to keep this Samsung Note 3 alive in 2021!

I'm noticing quick battery drain as well (8.3%/h idle), it's a fresh install. GSM Battery Monitor says CPU (81%) --> Kernel (Android OS) (59.4%) and LineageOS (7.3%) are the top battery consumers.
I came from LineageOS 16.0 [Android 9.0] which worked fantastically.

Was the battery life good with the September 18th, 2021 release? I can't find an archive containing that version.

Last edited:

Didact

Nov 28, 2021
you have lolz or lolz..or stock...make your choice..
Worked like a charm, I just flashed Lolz (non-rooted) and I'm getting much better battery life (max 2%/hour idle consumption) and cooler temperatures (reduction of 2 degrees Celcius).

Now 71% of power consumption by App Usage (27% screen), 25.9% by Android System, 12.2% by Kernel (Android OS) and 8% by GSam Battery Monitor, 6.3% System UI, 5.9% Google Play Services. I'm basically keeping everything closed and the screen off as much as possible.

EDIT: I re-formatted my phone once again and reflashed LineageOS 18.1 11/25/2021 edition without the SD card. I think this helps as well. I did get warnings initially that the SD card was slow. I did not reflash LOLZ though I'm getting a similar experience. Does LOLZ carry over a reformat? I'm at 2%/hr now, screen off, non-airplane mode.

Last edited:

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
First post here, I just want to say that I'm truly grateful that jprimero and haggertk were able to keep this Samsung Note 3 alive in 2021!

I'm noticing quick battery drain as well (8.3%/h idle), it's a fresh install. GSM Battery Monitor says CPU (81%) --> Kernel (Android OS) (59.4%) and LineageOS (7.3%) are the top battery consumers.
I came from LineageOS 16.0 [Android 9.0] which worked fantastically.

Was the battery life good with the September 18th, 2021 release? I can't find an archive containing that version.
wich version of LOS 16?
battery life was really better?

prkfsz

Jun 16, 2020
if twrp is installed, you have to use it to flash file.zip...otherwise without twrp installed ota can go directly

So lineage recovery is needed? What is the difference between TWRP and LR?

I remember recently when flashing LOS, somewhere during start there was a question that had something to do with Lineage recovery, that i left unchecked. Is it possible to use that option to let the system change to lineage recovery by itself?

Didact

Nov 28, 2021
wich version of LOS 16?
battery life was really better?
lineage-16.0-20190612-UNOFFICIAL-hltetmo

Yeah, at the time I didn't use the phone as a daily driver so I put it on Airplane mode without much use. It would last a week or more.

The phone complained the sd card I used was slow, I read on Reddit that some people drained more battery with a slow card. Not sure if it's true.

odoll

Feb 12, 2017
I really can't tell when the "battery draining" issue started for me on 18.1. However as I still had the 20210918 18.1 version on file I thought it would be a good test to see if it'd make a difference. (Again: if anybody else has still an even older 18.1 version I'd grateful be if that would be shared with me.)
I could just increase the ~ 24 hrs runtime by moving CPU usage from "balanced" a step back in the battery settings.
Also moving to Lolz kernel ~ two days ago didn't really improve the situation for me. As you can see in the screenshots I found the mobile in constant reboot mode (restarting even before animating the LOS logo) when I got up this morning. So I just re-flashed the 20211127 version without Lolz, but OGapps 20211125 nano (plus Magisk after first reboot.)
Think my next test will be to migrate the settings to my spare htle as If I would move to a new phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211128-211745_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20211128-211745_Einstellungen.png
    44 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20211130-082628_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20211130-082628_Einstellungen.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20211130-082655_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20211130-082655_Einstellungen.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

bilatche

Dec 7, 2010
in fact, which version of LOS has the better battery life?

don't need to the latest version, just wnt a good battery life.

thanks

prkfsz

Jun 16, 2020
Is there someone that made Viber work with microG on this version of LOS?

Tried LOS18 with microG already installed on Note 3 but can't really seem to make Viber work for some reason. Contacted Viber support and they sent me a link where it says that Viber doesn't work on custom ROM, but it works fine on Note 4 with LOS16 and microG... :unsure:

odoll

Feb 12, 2017
Think my next test will be to migrate the settings to my spare hlte as If I would move to a new phone.
I think the cure helped somewhat. While moving my profiles, apps, settings to my scratch spare hlte and after that back to my scratched "production" SM-N9005 yesterday evening seems to have helped to increase the runtime (Before ~ 24 hrs, prelimanry now > 2 days). Of course I 'lost' some of my settings during the migrations (e.g. VPN connections, coupled BT devices, FF settings, [local] calendar / contact settings for MyPhoneExplorer, apps installed via F-Droid, ...) however that "clean-up" was even necessarily intended. (That's why I also didn't want to use a tool like e.g. TitaniumBackup). In the meantime I could 'fix' most issues. Only the Amazon Appstore release-32.87.1.0.205427.0_801048010.apk causes me some headaches as it crashes when I started it. Thus I couldn't install my Amazon purchased apps like OSMand+, yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-065622_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20211201-065622_Einstellungen.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20211201-065609_Einstellungen.png
    Screenshot_20211201-065609_Einstellungen.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 23

javiers91

Dec 2, 2021
Argentina
it is case mode. When you keep phone near magnet it can be runned. You may switch off this option in settings > connected devices > connection settings > smart case
Thank you kind sir, youve saved my life, and my hltetmo life's. I was going absolutely crazy.

There was no way to unlock it (except a forced reboot), even if no magnets were around to trigger this.

----------

Probably discussed before but has anyone got NFC and or Pen to work with 18.1?

Currently using TWRP as recovery and on build lineage-18.1-20211118-nightly-hltetmo

rayman95

Jan 14, 2009
monaco
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Is there someone that made Viber work with microG on this version of LOS?

Tried LOS18 with microG already installed on Note 3 but can't really seem to make Viber work for some reason. Contacted Viber support and they sent me a link where it says that Viber doesn't work on custom ROM, but it works fine on Note 4 with LOS16 and microG... :unsure:
LOS 16 not 18.1 , maybe issue with last version...

EDIT : I tried and install viber without issue, haven't account but I'm on registering phone number

Reactions: prkfsz

prkfsz

Jun 16, 2020
Is it just me or does anyone else get rather crappy photoquality? Should i use some other camera app?

I remember having Note 3 Neo that had really good picture quality, and that thing hade worse specs than Note 3..

prkfsz

Jun 16, 2020
LOS 16 not 18.1 , maybe issue with last version...

EDIT : I tried and install viber without issue, haven't account but I'm on registering phone number
Thank you!

I gave up on lineage on that one. Tried to install /e/ (based on LOS) just to get Viber in because i really need it. Eventually the support solved it, i think they blocked my number for some reason even if i used it only for 'proper' use..

asassello

Nov 18, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Could anybody please confirm if paying with NFC works? I'm using the newest 18.1 updated regularly OTA every Saturday. Unfortunately NFC haven't worked for me since upgrading from 16 to 18.1 (I haven't checked recently).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wonder if there is a way to get our hands on these older builds
    OR
    Find why the high battery usage is happening and a way to fix it!
    Looks like you haven't read this thread carefully, because if so, you should have come across my posts related to a similar battery draining issue and how I 'fixed' it ;-)
    And I also asked for older builds, but never got any offers ...
    Here , I had to go back on latest LOS 16 rom (and have to stay on) to find back my good battery life.
    I installed with TWRP lineage-18.1-20220101-nightly-hlte-signed.ZIP and MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210920_083829.ZIP, the phone restarts but loops on startup, after several minutes TWRP reappears
    thanks in advance
    Clean flash without gapps and test, if no issues flash gapps, or change them..
    In all cases I can't stand the battery issue no longer and have to do something or go back to another OS even if it's going to be the old original.
    Frankly I wouldn't just go back to an old backup if I wouldn't have a recent one. My recommendation is to do a clean install and (partially) restore the settings from a recent backup. (You should have a recent backup on-site anyhow to be prepared for a full restore, if anything might go wrong. Paranoid as I am I have several backup types: e.g. my actual TWRP Nandroid in my phone's flash, copies of those to a folder in my phone's SDcard (partition which is not mapped to extend the system) and a copies on my NAS, "system-build-in backups" via Google and Seedvault, and I sync my (local only) Calendar, Contacts via MyPhoneExplorer to Thunderbird. Rare Titanium backups as I find it too complicated in the free version)
    Yes, I think the problem for most users - and for me still too - is that they are overwhelmed with all the options available and the tons of guidelines and how-tos you will find on the net. Anyhow, as we're on xda maybe this is a good start?
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    hlteSM-N9005, SM-N900P
    hltechnSM-N9008V
    hltekorSM-N900K, SM-N900L, SM-N900S
    hltetmoSM-N900R4, SM-N900T, SM-N900V, SM-N900W8

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP does work, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    • If you are encrypted, even with insecure boot, you absolutely must format userdata on upgrade, as noted in upgrade instructions in wiki.
      • If you are not encrypted then disable lockscreen before upgrading and it *should* work without wiping userdata.
      • If you didn't disable lockscreen before upgrading then delete the lockscreen files and it *should* work. Use the power of search, I'm not going to help out with this one -- it's an unsupported path.
      • If you get terribly stuck then wipe userdata as our official upgrade guide notes.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Interesting you say that as i had some crackling on the old baseband i was running although i've never really looked into it...

I've just tested on baseband: N9005XXUGBOJ1 with no issues to report :)
    Well, thanks!
    That's great sharing this with us, very weird of baseband to cause that sound crackling. I'm going to upgrade my baseband to see if it is going to solve this bug.
    EDIT: Flashed Nordic Countries baseband solved the issue! Thanks man!
    I'm currently using RL1 bootloader (from latest EGY firmware) and QB1 baseband (from latest Nordic Countries firmware).
    They're the recommended ones from baseband and bootloader topic on general forum because they are the most
    updated ones till now. (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")

PS: for anyone who want to flash the bootloader and baseband I mentioned above, I've uploaded them again on the
    general forum thread for bootloader and baseband discussion in a reply, as all links in the post are dead.
    (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")
    You can find them here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...g-firmware-for-sm-n9005.3582504/post-85128029
    installed and have to say WOW this rom seems not only stable but smoother than los 17.1 for me everything works well my only complaint is for spen still not blocking touch inputs when use and have less priority than finger touch, but aside that I think Is perfect for daily use.
    device n900w8, install with twrp, los 18.1 mindthegapps and magisk
    Hello guys. This is my first time dealing with modifying my phone and I don't have any past experiences. I even made this account just to post this reply. So, please bear with me :(

I've been following the instructions here https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/hlte/install and had problems with flashing the recovery with heimdall, it kept giving me this error:
    Code:
    ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
    ERROR: RECOVERY upload failed!
    I googled it and found that other users have had the same error https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/issues/191# but found no solution. I tried a different USB port and cable, still didn't work.

I assumed that this is some heimdall issue and tried flashing directly with adb by following these steps https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ but this time I got "waiting for any device" although my phone appears when typing the command "adb devices"
    Googling told me that this is some sort of a driver issue. Maybe has something to do with zadig.exe (that came with heimdall) and the whole driver replacing process?

Now I'm stuck between these two problems, and I don't know what to do. Is there other ways to flash the recovery? Or what can I do to fix the problem with drivers?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Use odin to flash twrp.tar available from their official website, then download lineage zip from lineage website and place on sd card and download mindthegapps "search for lineage gapps you'll find links on their wiki", and finally boot to recovery to install lineage and gapps packages.
    Does QC working on hlte?
    in short: yes

in long: all aosp-based roms can charge up to 1800mA max (compared to 1200mA on stock iirc). you can check the input current using battery monitoring apps like amplify or batteryguru
    if it doesn't go 1800 max, check your wall adapter(charger) if it's capable of at least 5V-2A output and/or your cable/charging port if it's damaged or not(or in the case of the cable, if it can deliver that amount of current or not)

p.s. i've also read your reply on the abandoned havoc thread so i decided to explain it here instead