[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (hlte*)

Search This thread

itemmaster

Aug 27, 2010
installed and have to say WOW this rom seems not only stable but smoother than los 17.1 for me everything works well my only complaint is for spen still not blocking touch inputs when use and have less priority than finger touch, but aside that I think Is perfect for daily use.
device n900w8, install with twrp, los 18.1 mindthegapps and magisk

O's

Aug 20, 2013
installed and have to say WOW this rom seems not only stable but smoother than los 17.1 for me everything works well my only complaint is for spen still not blocking touch inputs when use and have less priority than finger touch, but aside that I think Is perfect for daily use.
I'll be installing a similar setup after an extended break from using Magisk. Could I trouble you for your specific order of install steps for the ROM, gapps, and Magisk? I forget the best way to install Magisk/Manager with a clean flash.

itemmaster

Aug 27, 2010
I'll be installing a similar setup after an extended break from using Magisk. Could I trouble you for your specific order of install steps for the ROM, gapps, and Magisk? I forget the best way to install Magisk/Manager with a clean flash.
no worries, download lastest (los18.1, gapps, magisk) then enter recovery full wipe, and install los, gapps and reboot, then boot and set basics, reboot to recovery and install magisk reboot to system again and ready to use.
that's how I made it, hope it helps
I'm sorry for double post

Reactions: O's

O's

Aug 20, 2013
no worries, download lastest (los18.1, gapps, magisk) then enter recovery full wipe, and install los, gapps and reboot, then boot and set basics, reboot to recovery and install magisk reboot to system again and ready to use.
that's how I made it, hope it helps
I'm sorry for double post
Thank you! Unfortunately, a couple issues still.

Anyone else still getting random reboots? This happens with Lineage on the Note 3 and Note 4. Doesn't happen with ROMs earlier Android versions.

Also, Magisk didn't install correctly, on the Note 3 or Note 4 Lineage 18. It said it installed in recovery, but the app had the Android logo. Tapping it brought a message saying "couldn't parse the package." Again, this also happened on both the N3 and N4.

What could I be doing wrong?

Scorpionea

Dec 13, 2013
You tell me
Thank you! Unfortunately, a couple issues still.

Anyone else still getting random reboots? This happens with Lineage on the Note 3 and Note 4. Doesn't happen with ROMs earlier Android versions.

Also, Magisk didn't install correctly, on the Note 3 or Note 4 Lineage 18. It said it installed in recovery, but the app had the Android logo. Tapping it brought a message saying "couldn't parse the package." Again, this also happened on both the N3 and N4.

What could I be doing wrong?

Same thing happens on my device ,it didn't before official build. Download manually magisk manager 8.0.7 and install it after that update it to latest version. After that all should be fine

itemmaster

Aug 27, 2010
I'm sorry to hear that you have problems, I did what I say on the post no more no less, and for me the rom Is stable and smooth, maybe the modem you're using needs to be updated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210430-203933_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210430-203933_Settings.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 82

kisilmike

Jan 14, 2012
Just a quick question; Does thermometer or humidity sensors work in any AOSP-based roms like Havoc or Lineage 17.1? It's not working here on Lineage 18.1 btw.
17.1 and 18.1 humidity sensors works correct. One day another update 17.1 broke the sensor but update to 18.1 solve the problem. Try full wipe.

n00bieZ

May 4, 2021
Hello guys. This is my first time dealing with modifying my phone and I don't have any past experiences. I even made this account just to post this reply. So, please bear with me :(

I've been following the instructions here https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/hlte/install and had problems with flashing the recovery with heimdall, it kept giving me this error:
Code:
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
ERROR: RECOVERY upload failed!
I googled it and found that other users have had the same error https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/issues/191# but found no solution. I tried a different USB port and cable, still didn't work.

I assumed that this is some heimdall issue and tried flashing directly with adb by following these steps https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ but this time I got "waiting for any device" although my phone appears when typing the command "adb devices"
Googling told me that this is some sort of a driver issue. Maybe has something to do with zadig.exe (that came with heimdall) and the whole driver replacing process?

Now I'm stuck between these two problems, and I don't know what to do. Is there other ways to flash the recovery? Or what can I do to fix the problem with drivers?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hassan 4

Apr 6, 2013
Hello guys. This is my first time dealing with modifying my phone and I don't have any past experiences. I even made this account just to post this reply. So, please bear with me :(

I've been following the instructions here https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/hlte/install and had problems with flashing the recovery with heimdall, it kept giving me this error:
Code:
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
ERROR: RECOVERY upload failed!
I googled it and found that other users have had the same error https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/issues/191# but found no solution. I tried a different USB port and cable, still didn't work.

I assumed that this is some heimdall issue and tried flashing directly with adb by following these steps https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/ but this time I got "waiting for any device" although my phone appears when typing the command "adb devices"
Googling told me that this is some sort of a driver issue. Maybe has something to do with zadig.exe (that came with heimdall) and the whole driver replacing process?

Now I'm stuck between these two problems, and I don't know what to do. Is there other ways to flash the recovery? Or what can I do to fix the problem with drivers?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Use odin to flash twrp.tar available from their official website, then download lineage zip from lineage website and place on sd card and download mindthegapps "search for lineage gapps you'll find links on their wiki", and finally boot to recovery to install lineage and gapps packages.

n00bieZ

May 4, 2021
Use odin to flash twrp.tar available from their official website, then download lineage zip from lineage website and place on sd card and download mindthegapps "search for lineage gapps you'll find links on their wiki", and finally boot to recovery to install lineage and gapps packages.
Thanks a lot! Can you link me any good tutorial for using Odin?

O's

Aug 20, 2013
I must be out of practice. Still getting random reboots, and still can't install Magisk. I clean-flashed the ROM and MindtheGApps 11. ROM booted fine. But once I start adding apps, it randomly reboots, especially while using Prime Video. Meanwhile, I can't get Magisk to install. The method of changing .apk to .zip and flashing seemed to work fine in TWRP, but after booting, the app said unable to parse package. OK. Took advice above and installed Manager 8.0.7 and updated from there. Now on Manager 22, but I have no option to direct install Magisk, only to patch a file. I don't know what file, since it asks for an .img or .tar, and I only have the Manager apk. I tried looking it up, but every single guide leads to another guide leads to another guide leads to steps too involving for a simple installation.

Can someone give an out-of-practice user step-by-step Magisk installation instructions?

Last edited:
Reactions: velosa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting you say that as i had some crackling on the old baseband i was running although i've never really looked into it...

I've just tested on baseband: N9005XXUGBOJ1 with no issues to report :)
    Well, thanks!
    That's great sharing this with us, very weird of baseband to cause that sound crackling. I'm going to upgrade my baseband to see if it is going to solve this bug.
    EDIT: Flashed Nordic Countries baseband solved the issue! Thanks man!
    I'm currently using RL1 bootloader (from latest EGY firmware) and QB1 baseband (from latest Nordic Countries firmware).
    They're the recommended ones from baseband and bootloader topic on general forum because they are the most
    updated ones till now. (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")

PS: for anyone who want to flash the bootloader and baseband I mentioned above, I've uploaded them again on the
    general forum thread for bootloader and baseband discussion in a reply, as all links in the post are dead.
    (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")
    You can find them here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...g-firmware-for-sm-n9005.3582504/post-85128029
    Hi. I am stunned to learn that SM-N9005 is supported by Lineage OS 18.1. I have not touched my N9005 for years and was thinking of getting rid of it. I have not tinkered with custom OSes in recent years, but if Lineage OS 18.1 works on it, then it may be worth reviving.

Now, probably the answer is no, but this ROM does not support S-Pen... correct? I would just like to draw some sketches on this device.

If the answer is indeed no, could someone recommend a ROM that supports S-Pen?

Thanks!
    Well, the pen itself works but the main concern is samsung apps related to spen cannot be installed on lineage.
    any third party apps should work, though.
    you have to update to last modem and bootloader....
    May I suggest to add a hint to the first post (@haggertk) at the Installation Instructions: section, that you have to use a specific BL/CP (though people tend to not read or follow any instructions ;))
    you have to update to last modem and bootloader....
    Thanks for the quick reply.

After checking the bootloader and modem version it appears i've never updated the firmware since purchasing the device back in 2014.

I was unable to find pre-compiled packages on the forum so i decided to extract the files from a Sam Mobile image.

My old versions:
    Bootloader: N9005XXUEND3 - Mon, 14 Apr 2014)
    Modem: N9005XXUENC2 - Mon, 14 Apr 2014)

Latest version from Sam Mobile:
    Bootloader: N9005XXSGBRI2 - Fri, 07 Sep 2018
    Modem: N9005XXUGBOJ1 - Fri, 07 Sep 2018

Once i extracted the bootloader + modem files i created a couple of archives called bootloader.tar.md5 + modem.tar.md5

bootloader.tar.md5
    - aboot.mbn
    - rpm.mbn
    - sbl1.mbn
    - sdi.mbn
    - tz.mbn

modem.tar.md5
    - modem.bin
    - NON-HLOS.bin

I then proceeded to flash using Odin v3.10 and everything updated successfully.

After rebooting the phone, i'm pleased to confirm the video recorder is now working correctly :)

Thank you so much, i really appreciate the support.

LineageOS 18.1 on a 7 year old phone rocks!!!
    Can anyone confirm sound crackling bug on Nordic countries baseband?
    I'm currently on EGY baseband and bootloader. I don't think it's related to baseband but I heard someone on General forum saying that flashing Nordic countires baseband solved sound issues on lineage roms.
    Steps to reproduce this bug is playing music on background using default music app, then going to settings-sounds, and adjusting notification volume to play a notification sound where then a sound crackling occurs.
    If someone with Nordic countries baseband (or any other baseband) can try this and respond wether bug is happening or not with it, I'd be very thankful. I'm currently have a very little time free and I don't want to mess with the phone without knowing for sure it would fix the bug.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    hlteSM-N9005, SM-N900P
    hltechnSM-N9008V
    hltekorSM-N900K, SM-N900L, SM-N900S
    hltetmoSM-N900R4, SM-N900T, SM-N900V, SM-N900W8

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP does work, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    • If you are encrypted, even with insecure boot, you absolutely must format userdata on upgrade, as noted in upgrade instructions in wiki.
      • If you are not encrypted then disable lockscreen before upgrading and it *should* work without wiping userdata.
      • If you didn't disable lockscreen before upgrading then delete the lockscreen files and it *should* work. Use the power of search, I'm not going to help out with this one -- it's an unsupported path.
      • If you get terribly stuck then wipe userdata as our official upgrade guide notes.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Interesting you say that as i had some crackling on the old baseband i was running although i've never really looked into it...

I've just tested on baseband: N9005XXUGBOJ1 with no issues to report :)
    Well, thanks!
    That's great sharing this with us, very weird of baseband to cause that sound crackling. I'm going to upgrade my baseband to see if it is going to solve this bug.
    EDIT: Flashed Nordic Countries baseband solved the issue! Thanks man!
    I'm currently using RL1 bootloader (from latest EGY firmware) and QB1 baseband (from latest Nordic Countries firmware).
    They're the recommended ones from baseband and bootloader topic on general forum because they are the most
    updated ones till now. (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")

PS: for anyone who want to flash the bootloader and baseband I mentioned above, I've uploaded them again on the
    general forum thread for bootloader and baseband discussion in a reply, as all links in the post are dead.
    (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")
    You can find them here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...g-firmware-for-sm-n9005.3582504/post-85128029
    Anyone else facing when there's music playing and a notification sound comes, comes some noise from the speaker?
    Does QC working on hlte?
    in short: yes

in long: all aosp-based roms can charge up to 1800mA max (compared to 1200mA on stock iirc). you can check the input current using battery monitoring apps like amplify or batteryguru
    if it doesn't go 1800 max, check your wall adapter(charger) if it's capable of at least 5V-2A output and/or your cable/charging port if it's damaged or not(or in the case of the cable, if it can deliver that amount of current or not)

p.s. i've also read your reply on the abandoned havoc thread so i decided to explain it here instead