[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (hlte*)

Search This thread

Hassan 4

Apr 6, 2013

I must be out of practice. Still getting random reboots, and still can't install Magisk. I clean-flashed the ROM and MindtheGApps 11. ROM booted fine. But once I start adding apps, it randomly reboots, especially while using Prime Video. Meanwhile, I can't get Magisk to install. The method of changing .apk to .zip and flashing seemed to work fine in TWRP, but after booting, the app said unable to parse package. OK. Took advice above and installed Manager 8.0.7 and updated from there. Now on Manager 22, but I have no option to direct install Magisk, only to patch a file. I don't know what file, since it asks for an .img or .tar, and I only have the Manager apk. I tried looking it up, but every single guide leads to another guide leads to another guide leads to steps too involving for a simple installation.

Can someone give an out-of-practice user step-by-step Magisk installation instructions?
magisk causes issues currently with this rom (idk if it's device related or general bug), some sensors stop working when you flash it.
Anyway, I had the same issue about "Parsing package". What I did to fix it is that i flashed lineage18.1 and mindthegapps then flash magisk directly after them without booting first to system (All this done from lineage official recovery), then after completing android setup, simply install magisk apk over the one currently installed as system app. It will start normally then.
Currently I reflashed lineage without magisk as I don't need root anyway, I was just keeping it for Just in case I needed it :D

Reactions: O's

O's

Aug 20, 2013
magisk causes issues currently with this rom (idk if it's device related or general bug), some sensors stop working when you flash it.
Anyway, I had the same issue about "Parsing package". What I did to fix it is that i flashed lineage18.1 and mindthegapps then flash magisk directly after them without booting first to system (All this done from lineage official recovery), then after completing android setup, simply install magisk apk over the one currently installed as system app. It will start normally then.
Currently I reflashed lineage without magisk as I don't need root anyway, I was just keeping it for Just in case I needed it :D
I have random reboots with and without Magisk, so I'm trying to hone in on why. I figured I needed root. Hoping a successful Magisk installation solves it. I love this ROM, but I've reinstalled it more than 10 times in the last week because of the reboots!

Did you flash Magisk by renaming the .apk to .zip?

Hassan 4

Apr 6, 2013
I have random reboots with and without Magisk, so I'm trying to hone in on why. I figured I needed root. Hoping a successful Magisk installation solves it. I love this ROM, but I've reinstalled it more than 10 times in the last week because of the reboots!

Did you flash Magisk by renaming the .apk to .zip?
Yeah I did flashing Magisk by renaming .apk to .zip, What device are you on, hlte? and maybe the random reboots are because of some buggy app, did you try to keep running the rom with minimal apps just to test if reboots are because of certain app?

O's

Aug 20, 2013
Yeah I did flashing Magisk by renaming .apk to .zip, What device are you on, hlte? and maybe the random reboots are because of some buggy app, did you try to keep running the rom with minimal apps just to test if reboots are because of certain app?
I'm on N900T. It might be from Prime Video, but at least once it's happened before I get any apps.

odoll

I dirty upgraded my SM-N9005 (hlte) from last 17.1 to the second 18.1 version on last Saturday and had two reboots since then (however as it's a dirty upgrade I won't complain ;-)

My first attempt with the first 18.1 version was without luck as I didn't knew that I have to disable Smart Lock, so I ended up in a reboot loop. In the end I used A2017X-remove+_all_+locksettings.zip before erasing system, flashing 18.1 and open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20210130-TEST.zip.
After the first reboot I also flash Magisk-22.1(22100).apk renamed to .zip and enabled Smart Lock in Security -> Trust Agents, again.

Last edited:

O's

Aug 20, 2013
Edit: Let me install Magisk after all, even though it failed signature verification. I'll see if this install works.

Edit 2: Couldn't get through initial setup before a reboot.
Lineage recovery, 4/29 tmo nightly ROM, MindtheGApps 11, Magisk 22.

Last edited:

Kiki B

May 6, 2021
I can't believe my old device (hlte) is still running so well - thanks tor this ROM.

I have but one issue, and it seems I am the only one: I can activate Bluetooth, but I do not find any devices to connect to. There is, however, one devices that always comes up and which does not even exist - the name is made up of numbers and characters: 90676414DB2033A8A9 - too long for a hardware address

Has anyone seen this before and has a remedy? I am pretty sure my baseband version should be OK: N9005XXUGOJ1?

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

kisilmike

Jan 14, 2012
I must be out of practice. Still getting random reboots, and still can't install Magisk. I clean-flashed the ROM and MindtheGApps 11. ROM booted fine. But once I start adding apps, it randomly reboots, especially while using Prime Video. Meanwhile, I can't get Magisk to install. The method of changing .apk to .zip and flashing seemed to work fine in TWRP, but after booting, the app said unable to parse package. OK. Took advice above and installed Manager 8.0.7 and updated from there. Now on Manager 22, but I have no option to direct install Magisk, only to patch a file. I don't know what file, since it asks for an .img or .tar, and I only have the Manager apk. I tried looking it up, but every single guide leads to another guide leads to another guide leads to steps too involving for a simple installation.

Can someone give an out-of-practice user step-by-step Magisk installation instructions?
As far as I remember:
1) install Magisk ZIP via twrp, without any renames of extension. Just install zip.
2) boot into the system and some magisk icon already be there. Launch that, it will ask for the complete installation - confirm. After that, as far as I remember, the phone rebooted and everything was fine, you will see magisk manager with all information about installed magisk.

O's

Aug 20, 2013
As far as I remember:
1) install Magisk ZIP via twrp, without any renames of extension. Just install zip.
2) boot into the system and some magisk icon already be there. Launch that, it will ask for the complete installation - confirm. After that, as far as I remember, the phone rebooted and everything was fine, you will see magisk manager with all information about installed magisk.
I think you're working with old information. There is no install zip anymore. See Magisk Github Installation page. https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html. There's only instructions to rename an apk as a zip.

In some custom recoveries, the installation may fail silently (it might look like success but in reality it bootloops). This is because the installer scripts cannot properly detect the correct device info or the recovery environment does not meet its expectation. If you face any issues, use the Patch Image method as it is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. Due to this reason, installing Magisk through custom recoveries on modern devices is no longer recommended. The custom recovery installation method exists purely for legacy support.
  • Download the Magisk APK
  • Rename the .apk file extension to .zip, for example: Magisk-v22.0.apk → Magisk-v22.0.zip. If you have trouble renaming the file extension (like on Windows), use a file manager on Android or the one included in TWRP to rename the file.
  • Flash the zip just like any other ordinary flashable zip.
  • Warning: sepolicy.rule file of modules may be stored in cache partition, do not clear it.
  • Check whether the Magisk app is installed. If it isn’t installed automatically, manually install the APK.
As for using Magisk Manager, just installing Magisk now consists of all this:

If your device has boot ramdisk, you need a copy of the boot.img
If your device does NOT have boot ramdisk, you need a copy of the recovery.img

You should be able to extract the file you need from official firmware packages or your custom ROM zip (if using one). If you are still having trouble, go to XDA-Developers and look for resources, guides, discussions, or ask for help in your device’s forum.

• Copy the boot/recovery image to your device
  • Press the Install button in the Magisk card
  • If you are patching a recovery image, make sure “Recovery Mode” is checked in options.
    In most cases it should already be automatically checked.
  • Choose “Select and Patch a File” in method, and select the stock boot/recovery image
  • The Magisk app will patch the image to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img.
  • Copy the patched image to your PC with ADB:
    adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_[random_strings].img
  • Flash the patched boot/recovery image to your device.
    For most devices, reboot into fastboot mode and flash with command:
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/magisk_patched.img or
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/magisk_patched.img if flashing a recovery image
  • Reboot and voila!
Yeah, that's ridiculously excessive.

Kiki B

May 6, 2021
I can't believe my old device (hlte) is still running so well - thanks tor this ROM.

I have but one issue, and it seems I am the only one: I can activate Bluetooth, but I do not find any devices to connect to. There is, however, one devices that always comes up and which does not even exist - the name is made up of numbers and characters: 90676414DB2033A8A9 - too long for a hardware address

Has anyone seen this before and has a remedy? I am pretty sure my baseband version should be OK: N9005XXUGOJ1?

Any hints are greatly appreciated.
Please ignore my above problem. As I expected it is not related to LOS.
I went back as far as the original firmware and now I know for sure that it must be a hardware problem.

Installing LOS 18 again now, I will use my phone without Bluetooth. This device/OS combination is still way better than any of the new devices :)

gordonshamooay

May 10, 2021
Found a bug that seriously interferes with using LOS 18.1. Previous versions (16-17.1) did not have it.

The essence of the bug is that if you choose to unlock without a password or swipe "Security => Screen lock => None" (need reboot to effect), the camera starting 2x Power button hotkey stops working and call a System UI stopping, as well as entering the "Clock" application (upper left) and smartphone settings (gear icon down right) from the curtain of the status bar.

I created Issue by this link but it is already closed.
I probably did something wrong. I ask you to take it into account in future updates as well. Thank you.

Reactions: kisilmike

kisilmike

Jan 14, 2012
Anyone else facing when there's music playing and a notification sound comes, comes some noise from the speaker?
Yes, the same problem! Sometimes (not always), with an incoming notification, the bluetooth sound suddenly stops going. Only reswitching BT solve the problem :(
If someone succeeds in finding a specific sequence of actions to repeat the bug, please write here, I will try to make a bug report

kisilmike

Jan 14, 2012
How can I expand the Quick Settings panel? When swiping, player control is displayed, I see only 3 quick settings buttons, instead of ~ 9+ in LOS 17.1. Very uncomfortable. Attached screenshot with expanded quick settings, as u see, only 3 buttons there.

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-13_09-12-22.jpg
    photo_2021-05-13_09-12-22.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 69

r0mushii

How can I expand the Quick Settings panel? When swiping, player control is displayed, I see only 3 quick settings buttons, instead of ~ 9+ in LOS 17.1. Very uncomfortable. Attached screenshot with expanded quick settings, as u see, only 3 buttons there.
increase your dpi, probably around 390-420. it's under developer options
this happens as the ui adjusts dynamically for the media controls, linage can't do anything about it as it's an android 11 thing

Reactions: kisilmike

kisilmike

Jan 14, 2012
Found a bug that seriously interferes with using LOS 18.1. Previous versions (16-17.1) did not have it.

The essence of the bug is that if you choose to unlock without a password or swipe "Security => Screen lock => None" (need reboot to effect), the camera starting 2x Power button hotkey stops working and call a System UI stopping, as well as entering the "Clock" application (upper left) and smartphone settings (gear icon down right) from the curtain of the status bar.

I created Issue by this link but it is already closed.
I probably did something wrong. I ask you to take it into account in future updates as well. Thank you.
roger that, same problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    hlteSM-N9005, SM-N900P
    hltechnSM-N9008V
    hltekorSM-N900K, SM-N900L, SM-N900S
    hltetmoSM-N900R4, SM-N900T, SM-N900V, SM-N900W8

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP does work, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    • If you are encrypted, even with insecure boot, you absolutely must format userdata on upgrade, as noted in upgrade instructions in wiki.
      • If you are not encrypted then disable lockscreen before upgrading and it *should* work without wiping userdata.
      • If you didn't disable lockscreen before upgrading then delete the lockscreen files and it *should* work. Use the power of search, I'm not going to help out with this one -- it's an unsupported path.
      • If you get terribly stuck then wipe userdata as our official upgrade guide notes.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Hi, your work is wonderful, please add lineage os 19.1 please
    I don't know if there will be an official LineageOS 19.0 version,
    but if you wan't to have a small insight, you can test my alpha build :).
    Most things are already working, except RIL and GPS, but I'm working on this.

There will be an own thread, so please don't report here any bugs.
    Interesting you say that as i had some crackling on the old baseband i was running although i've never really looked into it...

I've just tested on baseband: N9005XXUGBOJ1 with no issues to report :)
    Well, thanks!
    That's great sharing this with us, very weird of baseband to cause that sound crackling. I'm going to upgrade my baseband to see if it is going to solve this bug.
    EDIT: Flashed Nordic Countries baseband solved the issue! Thanks man!
    I'm currently using RL1 bootloader (from latest EGY firmware) and QB1 baseband (from latest Nordic Countries firmware).
    They're the recommended ones from baseband and bootloader topic on general forum because they are the most
    updated ones till now. (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")

PS: for anyone who want to flash the bootloader and baseband I mentioned above, I've uploaded them again on the
    general forum thread for bootloader and baseband discussion in a reply, as all links in the post are dead.
    (FOR "N9005" MODEL ONLY, ALSO KNOWN AS "hlte")
    You can find them here: https://xdaforums.com/t/bootloader-...g-firmware-for-sm-n9005.3582504/post-85128029
    installed and have to say WOW this rom seems not only stable but smoother than los 17.1 for me everything works well my only complaint is for spen still not blocking touch inputs when use and have less priority than finger touch, but aside that I think Is perfect for daily use.
    device n900w8, install with twrp, los 18.1 mindthegapps and magisk
    Does QC working on hlte?
    in short: yes

in long: all aosp-based roms can charge up to 1800mA max (compared to 1200mA on stock iirc). you can check the input current using battery monitoring apps like amplify or batteryguru
    if it doesn't go 1800 max, check your wall adapter(charger) if it's capable of at least 5V-2A output and/or your cable/charging port if it's damaged or not(or in the case of the cable, if it can deliver that amount of current or not)

p.s. i've also read your reply on the abandoned havoc thread so i decided to explain it here instead