• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread
Disabling Smart Cover - FlipFlap

To my surprise: I find a screenshot of this 'blue screen of death' in my gallery.

That happens when you pass a magnet near your phone and it thinks you have a smart cover accessory.

Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Smart Cover > Off
That's right.

Might as well recycle some screenshots made for an old S5 LineageOS 16.0 thread.

FYI an other method: if not rooted you can use the adb command method described in How to disable any pre-installed system app bloatware on Android without root using adb.

These tweaks will survive updates.

Just go to > Settings > Apps & notifications > 3-dots > Show System > app's name > Advanced > scroll all the way to the bottom to get the package name to be used in adb. In this case it is FlipFlap:

Windows Command Prompt:

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 org.lineageos.flipflap

Mac/Linux Terminal:

./adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 org.lineageos.flipflap

Attachments

• Sensor_Magnetic_Field_Hall_Effect_Sensor_FlipFlap_Magnet_Photo_S5_curiousrom.png
    Sensor_Magnetic_Field_Hall_Effect_Sensor_FlipFlap_Magnet_Photo_S5_curiousrom.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Sensor_S_View_Cover_Samsung_S5.PNG
    Sensor_S_View_Cover_Samsung_S5.PNG
    442.7 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: dcarvil
S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-06-13 - Lost Settings Widget Shortcuts

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-06-06 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-06-13: Magisk survived the update but minor annoyance: some Lineage widget created shortcuts were lost on Home page.

There was no spectacular changes in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but updated anyway so I could post about it.

I use the stock LineageOS Trebuchet launcher and these were shortcuts created with the LineageOS Settings widget & stacked to create a Settings folder as seen in the screenshot. Other shortcuts created with a third-party app were also lost.

It's weird because I had that minor issue with update 2021-05-23 but not with the 2 following ones but now it came back.

These bunch of changes were not merged in time for this build so the monthly Android security bump will have to wait for the next build.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Trebuchet_Home_Update_2021-06-13_Widget_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Trebuchet_Home_Update_2021-06-13_Widget_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • Trebuchet_Home_Update_2021-06-13_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Trebuchet_Home_Update_2021-06-13_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: dcarvil and pmduper

spambootle

Oct 7, 2018
Does Gapps work with this version 18.1?
Neither Gapps nor NikGapps work on my Galaxy S5 (G900F).
Why release soft on android 11 if there is no Google application for it ??

x2k13

Does Gapps work with this version 18.1?
Neither Gapps nor NikGapps work on my Galaxy S5 (G900F).
Why release soft on android 11 if there is no Google application for it ??
These are OpenGapps TEST builds for arm 18.1. No support from anyone with this, you are on your own there. I've tested pico & nano, working good so far on my G900F without issues.

Reactions: sirrooke

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
In twrp after mount system go advanced file manager. Tap system system addon-d
A factory reset only deletes user data. GApps sit in system partition
I understand that it is hard to understand what a non-English speaker doesn't understand, but it is the "mount system". I thought it was the mount button in twrp, but that's what confuses me. Are you talking about some option that emerges during installation of gapps?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I understand that it is hard to understand what a non-English speaker doesn't understand, but it is the "mount system". I thought it was the mount button in twrp, but that's what confuses me. Are you talking about some option that emerges during installation of gapps?
Sorry for the confusion. Let's start a new conversation on that. You have an S5 with twrp and lineageOS and GApps. You want to remove GApps? Yes or no?

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
Sorry for the confusion. Let's start a new conversation on that. You have an S5 with twrp and lineageOS and GApps. You want to remove GApps? Yes or no?
I thought I should try that, yes, because my S5 is so slow and laggs a lot. I suspect that I have two packages of gapps. But I hestitate to reinstall the whole thing again, because it takes a lot of time. So I need to understand exactly how to get rid of gapps residue.

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I thought I should try that, yes, because my S5 is so slow and laggs a lot. I suspect that I have two packages of gapps. But I hestitate to reinstall the whole thing again, because it takes a lot of time. So I need to understand exactly how to get rid of gapps residue.
No one has two packages of GApps. I really suggest re-installation. You wasted too much time in this discussion. Especially with a Google account, installation is not that hard.

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
No one has two packages of GApps. I really suggest re-installation. You wasted too much time in this discussion. Especially with a Google account, installation is not that hard.
Sorry to waste your time. However, I think I was able to get rid of any residue there might have been left of gapps or whatever that slowed down the phone and reinstall os and Bitgapps (second to last build) after a thourough wipe. So far the phone appears much quicker.

Reactions: kurtn

x2k13

Wow there's a lot of bluetooth-related changes in the upcoming nightly. o_O

Wondering if the constantly occurring disconnects will be gone eventually.

For the record:
Using BT and BLE dependent apps (like Gadgetbridge) together often results in BT disconnects, e.g. my Soundbar or car BT audio source, which really is a nuisance.

Reactions: kurtn

Raldor

Nov 8, 2014
Edit: @Raldor I just discovered something obvious that might help prevent your games from stuttering. You're supposed to configure the phone's CPU behavior with Settings > Battery >Battery Saver and Performance > Performance Profile.

The slider works and interfaces with the CPU governor. I had mine set to "Efficiency" the whole time. Faster profiles make the CPU snappier and the profile called "Performance" pegs most CPU cores to 2.4 GHz.

It never occurred to me that the slider actually did anything. I'm sure there's docs about it in the source code somewhere. This also explains why weird things happen if you switch off the interactive governor.
I tested them before and concluded they had no effect, but your post convinced me to test them again.

Setting the slider to "Quick" greatly reduces the stutters, and setting it to "Performance" eliminates them completely. So that would be problem solved, except...

These settings don't stick after a reboot! That is, if I set the slider to "Performance" and reboot, the slider remains set to "Performance", but the CPU is no longer locked to 2.4 GHz. Does this happen with your phone too?

Reactions: mangokm40
May 17, 2021
Status Bar Minor Issues x 2

Re: Settings, System, Status Bar, System Icons.

a) I cannot see an option for the Location Icon;
It was there in LOS 16, so I'm assuming it should be there in 18.1.
(I know that to Assume can be dangerous ;-)

b) The Icon for BlueTooth can be Enabled, but does not show when Enbaled, even though it shows as Enabled in the Quick-Drop-Down.
Other Icons are shown correctly.
It occurs with both the Large Font Size, and the Default (smaller) one.
It occurs in Normal Mode and Dark Theme.
It occurs when any / all / none of the other Icons are enabled.

Has any one else experienced this or see this?

My G900F Install route is:
Super Clean Install;
Stock UK BTU ROM Dated Nov-2020, then;
18.1-20210509-nightly, then skipped to;
18.1-20210613-nightly.

I have:
CTK2 BootLoader
CQK3 Modem (Baseband)

Ta

P.S.

I'm grateful for the ScreenShot option being available thru the Power Button. Thank you.

spamrefuse

Jun 11, 2021
That happens when you pass a magnet near your phone and it thinks you have a smart cover accessory.

Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Smart Cover > Off

Super! Thank you, that was indeed the problem.

I had no idea at all about this setting, because I don't have and never had a cover accessory.

It's strange that this setting seems to be enabled by default, causing unexpected trouble for ignorant people like me, whereas people with a cover accessory probably are well aware of how to enable it on their phone.....

Thanks again!
-S.R.

Reactions: curiousrom
Re: Status Bar Minor Issues x 2 - Trebuchet Crashing

...Re: Settings, System, Status Bar, System Icons.

a) I cannot see an option for the Location Icon...

That's a "feature". The Location icon will appear on the Status bar to warn you only if an app is using it if you enabled Location. No way to prevent that in 18.1 & it's a good thing IMO. Edit: the option was added with update 2021-06-20. See this post.

...b) The Icon for BlueTooth can be Enabled, but does not show when Enbaled, even though it shows as Enabled in the Quick-Drop-Down...

That's also a "feature" since LineageOS 16.0: the Bluetooth icon will appear in the Status bar only if the S5 is connected to a Bluetooth device.

I wish it would be there even if no device are connected to remind me to turn it off but that's how it is @ the present.

FYI in the Location panel you can disable Wi-Fi & Bluetooth scanning.

Trebuchet Crashing

I noticed a bug appearing recently: after expanding the Status bar quick tile curtain if you long press the clock the Trebuchet launcher/U.I. crashes (screenshot). Same with shortcuts like Wi-Fi, Location, etc. instead of opening the corresponding settings panel.

That's on Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-06-13 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0.

Will create a bug report if the issue is still there after the next update.

Attachments

• Trebuchet_System_UI_Stopping_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Trebuchet_System_UI_Stopping_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Hey Guys, thanks for keeping the S5 alive, still a great phone! I have a small question, is it possible to add support for the SM-G901F ? I just got this one but the hardware is somewhat different as in the original S5 (SM-G900F) , which is greatly supported. This phone has a 32bit - Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 APQ8084 (28nm), Krait 450 and Adreno 420 : https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/kccat6

I tried building from within a ubuntu VM with build tools and all needed packages but its missing some needed repository's which aren't available for LoS18.1. Only files from LoS16 in the lineage repo.
    You are right. Kccat6 support ends with lineageOS 16.0 - it is still buildable and you still get some security patches. But your postin this theread is off topic. Your phone looks the same but needs a completely differen ROM
    @Boarshow thanks very much for the reply.

Just wondering if when you flashed 18.1 with TWRP, did it replace TWRP with the LineageOS Recovery?

Do I have to reflash TWRP after Flashing LOS18.1?
    No. The recovery repacement is not triggered by rom flashing. Twrp is replaced by lineageOS recovery if you allow "update recovery" in setup wizard, or updater settings.

LineageOS recovery has all features you need for updating lineageOS. If you have special reqirements, you can flash twrp whenever you want. Use odin or heimdall or a root installer.
    Don't confuse microG and openGApps micro (or nano or pico)! The first one is completely open source, the second one is an installer for proprietary Google spyware.

Right, but microG never worked flawlessly on klte/11, at least on my end. Too many bugs for my taste. OpenGApps do. And if you don't like it, don"t install it. Simple. 🙂
    Both of you are right. I used the Open GApps "pico" flavour since some years and it worked without any problem. Last year i managed to be able to get rid of the google spyware. The delay of the open GApps helped me a little bit. But now i miss nothing. There is still one single app i like to use but this is not a showstopper at the end. I dont pay with my phone , i still use old school credit cards. I dont use "android auto" as i have a clarion mediacenter in my car. And i dont use "Banking Apps" just a TAN generator, i do the online banking at my desk at home, there is no need for me to do money transfer in a bar or the subway. There may still a few google traces in the pure LOS rom (example: DNS servers) but i am working on a solution for that.
    THX to all maintainers!
    FYI: https://opengapps.org/ has officially realeased OpenGApps for 11, ATM pico and nano. No need for microG or MindTheGApps anymore, they added Android Auto (Stub) as well, no problem to update it via Play Store (source: myself - tested successfully).

Screenshot via imgur
    Don't confuse microG and openGApps micro (or nano or pico)! The first one is completely open source, the second one is an installer for proprietary Google spyware.
    The dual SIM operation is the thing I would most like to see fixed, stock lets you toggle 4G/2G between SIM slots with equal functionality where Lineage designates one SIM for 4G/2G use and toggling gets 2G/no connection, physically swapping them causes one to use 3G and the other never goes above EDGE,
    I have the Russian and Arabic versions of the DUOS and it happens on both with the slight difference of it being the opposite SIM slot combination that works properly from one to the other. It's possible your issue is different as its related to the operators you are using.
    Dual SIM is probably an area that requires a lot of time to resolve which Haggertk probably cant justify as its unique to just one variant or possibly because it requires Samsung proprietary software to work correctly.
    Would be nice to know if it has any chance of getting fixed in the future though.
    I have always used 2 sims and I never had any particular issue, calls and audio are routed properly on LOS 18.1
    I used to have slot1 GSM and slot2 4G, but recently changed provider so now with slot1 4G and slot2 GSM, both configurations with no issues.
    Overall very stable build, snappy interface, much more stable BT than previous versions... just light on ram so background apps tend to get killed a little bit too easily and too often.
    Is there any chance that the kccat6 will be added?

No because it has a different chipset, CPU & GPU compared to the klte family which is the topic of this thread so it requires different proprietary blobs & it's own specific ROM.

See this specs comparison Galaxy S5 Plus vs. Galaxy S5 on gsmarena.

it's impossible to use Nova Launcher, it crash, refuses to start. ...do you have any idea?

Try asking in this thread: [APP][4.0+] Nova Launcher
    @rootkitty I updated from 16 -> 18.1 and daily drove it for a few months, absolutely recommend backing up and updating. I did not need to wipe. You may run into a bug where your lock screen does not unlock (fix it here). If you used this fix and use a different encryption passhrase you probably need these instructions to change the passphrase back:
    Code:
    Fire up the terminal and do this:

su
    vdc cryptfs changepw TYPEOFNEWPASSWORD OLDPASSWORD NEWPASSWORD

where TYPEOFNEWPASSWORD can be any of password, pin, pattern (if you use a pattern, match the position of the dots with corresponding numbers on keypad to obtain a numeric string)
    You might also need to copy data off your sd card, let the phone format it and copy the data back for some reason.

18.1 has huge improvements in bluetooth stability. In 16 it could hang and never recover. Privacy Guard is gone but Android provides somewhat similar functionality now. Nothing from that older version anyone would miss.

Edit: Just remembered, updating reset most of my default sounds like alarm, ringtone etc. Very annoying but easy to fix.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    Follow-up on corrupted external extfat sdcard

Test case :

1/ spotify updates its cached files located on the external extfat sdcard
    2/ spurious reboot occurs
    3/ upon reboot, the scdard is corrupted and can't be mounted

Diagnosis:

Checking manually the sdcard using fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files, which are preventing the card to be mounted : see attached log

- fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files but is enable to fix anything, whatever the option

- fsck.exfat Lineageos version 1.04 (checked in by haggertk)

- fsck.exfat current version 1.12

Although this makes no difference because of pending issue #117 : Can't repair corrupted exfat

- Inserting the sdcard into a PC, Windows detects the issue and offers to "scan and repair" the drive. Once the sdcard is "fixed", it can be used in the PC without problems. Although, a Windows "scanned and repaired" sdcard will still appear as corrupted in Lineageos and can't be mounted.

Options:

1/ On another device that can mount the sdcard, delete manually the previously identified corrupted files ; it's usually sufficient to fix the issue.

2/ Otherwise, backup the sdcard content, reformat (also restore the volumeid), then restore the backup.

Other thoughts :

Under stress writing to the sdcard, lineageos can reboot unexpectedly. Since this is not an isolated incident, this should definitely be investigated, since as a result the sdcard will be more likely corrupted and the actual tools don't allow to repair it.

I am not sure how to recover the log files preceding the reboot, once the device as rebooted. if someone can instruct me how to do so, I'll post them the next time this happens, which is unfortunately too frequently.
    Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success Using TWRP

I upgraded my S5 7 days ago and did not lose any apps & settings: Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-18 + Open GApps Pico + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 >>> LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps for Android 11 ARM + Magisk 22.1 which I just OTA updated to LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

The only major issue is the unusable stock Camera as described here: LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview. Edit: Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Note: three S5 users so far AFAIK, including @Massedil in his post here, reported not being able to unlock their devices after upgrading to 18.1 from 17.1. I always disable screen & SIM locks before an update or upgrade just to remove variables that may go wrong.

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

Several S5 klte variants users reported failed to boot on 17.1 with a modem older than Android 6.0.1. This may also cause No Network or No Service issues on 17.1 & 18.1. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Also before a major upgrade to a higher version but not before regular updates: Magisk > Uninstall > Restore images to preserve my Magisk settings & modules while disabling Magisk (screenshot).

Re-flashed Magisk-22.1.zip after successful boot to System after the upgrade.

MindTheGapps is similar to Open GApps Nano. See Open GApps Package Comparison.

Searching apps with Google in /System:
    • Android Accessibility Suite
    • Android Auto
    • Android Setup
    • Data Transfer Tool
    • Exchange Services
    • Google (search app)
    • Google Calendar Sync
    • Google Contacts Sync
    • Google Partner Setup
    • Google Play services
    • Google Play Store
    • Google Services Framework
    • Google Text-to-speech Engine
    • Market Feedback Agent
    • Markup
    You can also download the MindTheGapps package, unzip & search it with apk.

You can disable the Google's search app with it's optional personal data hungry Assistant in it's app info. Which I did because it has too many running services for my taste.

AFAIK from the available Open GApps for Android 11 test builds 20210130 @ the present, only the Pico package was reported as issue free in the Open GApps support thread on XDA: GAPPS DAILY Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices.

I have been an Open GApps Pico user for years on several devices but since there are no official releases for Android 11 @ the present, I decided to test MindTheGapps because that's what LineageOS links to @ the present in https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and wanted to post about it.

See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ > {device} > Upgrade to a higher version of LineageOS.

After a full TWRP backup (including the important EFS partition but except the Cache) & triggering a fresh Google Backup* (Settings > System > Advanced > Backup in 17.1), I did the same steps as described in that upgrade guide except that I use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 so sideload must be started manually on the S5 before sideloading from the computer: TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > Swipe to Start Sideload.

Or simply copy the files to the device & flash from there using TWRP.

To make the TWRP backup smaller I use SD Maid > AppCleaner to clear the cache of all apps & make sure to delete all downloaded updates in Updater by long pressing them or if rooted move them from /data/lineageos_updates/ to external or internal SD Card.

In case of failing to boot you can restore only the System, Data & Boot (boot.img is actually the kernel) partions from the full backup.

Obviously there are other backup methods but that's the one I use since a couple of years & restored them both successfully.

On some devices, some versions of TWRP do not work well with LineageOS 18.1 and the Lineage recovery is recommended in those cases but on my S5 klte, TWRP wins hands-down with it's backup/restore feature, File Manager, installing both manually or via sideload & applying successfully OTA updates so I don't see any reasons for switching to the Lineage recovery @ the present.

Tip: to make the S5 18.1 U.I. faster & more fluid when opening the apps drawer, scrolling through home pages, opening Settings, etc: > Settings > Accessibility > toggle on Remove animations.

Try it before & after as fast as you can to see the difference.

*: Warning for people using a pattern lock screen see this bug report: Google cloud backup cannot be restored when using a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern