• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

cylgalad

Oct 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Weird that you are getting caught by that, I explicitly tested the upgrade path. Try deleting the lockscreen files from recovery (/data/system/gatekeeper.*.key, /data/system/locksettings.db*). If that doesn't work, wipe data.
I had the same issue, renaming locksettings.db solved it, but I had a very hard time getting the phone to reboot to recovery (my fingers hurt!).
Maybe allowing rebooting to recovery from the lockscreen would be a nice idea.
On a side note, on los 17, I could unlock after a while, when notifications start to show up.

Reactions: curiousrom

x2k13

you somehow have a media storage issue they changed the permission set with the way apks communicate with "sdcard" internal storage for less vulnerabilities at the user app level....and stopped external sd support....we had a legacy media patch for old devices....now heres the catch if you flashed with the external sdcard in with older TWRP it thinks that external is internal SD then when u boot internal is blank external don't work and the play store thinks you used up....also any music app doesn't see media... this happened to me... what i did was cracked back and format data and wiped all partitions took external out wiped everything in twrp...went to download mode in odin reflashed full four file G900TUVU1GQC2_G900TTMB1GQC2_G900TUVU1GQC2_HOME.tar.md5
somethimes its nice to boot Android 6.01 then look in the newer threads and see how people complain so much about this and that and remember The TOUCHWIZ days....lol....

Then flashed new 18.1 clean using the lineage recovery..... so that means I had to flash twrp once in odin to install the new recovery file to install the official build because I dont like hemidall
... with lineage gapps https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=322935
Hu, so there's no way to use sd-cards as storage expansion anymore when reformatting? Dirty-flashed to 18.1 and sd-card is still available...hmmm.

Reactions: NeuesS5

pmduper

Oct 11, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Official kltedv build for my g900i is awesome. Decided to do a clean install and no problems at all, (twrp v3.3.1 and no gapps)
As with the unofficial build, this is the better rom for my device. Stable, great battery performance, responsive and its got a great feel to it. I simply cant fault it.
After too many years testing roms I think I'll take some time to enjoy this beauty.
Thanks @haggertk and team.

Garry58

Nov 13, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S5
I have an old battery, but I think I'm getting better battery life on 18.1. I'm not sure if it's actually the case or it just feels like it. I wonder if it's just me.
I did dirty flash with mindthegapps on top of it. It wasn't very smooth at first, but after a few minutes it became as responsive as it was on 17.1 (i'm guessing the phone was finalizing upgrade process in the background or something like that).
Also, had very minor issue, pressing the recent button and closing all apps was bringing me to Trebuchet no matter what. Solved by resetting defaults of my launcher and setting it as default again.

Tenaya43

Dec 20, 2012
you somehow have a media storage issue they changed the permission set with the way apks communicate with "sdcard" internal storage for less vulnerabilities at the user app level....and stopped external sd support....we had a legacy media patch for old devices....now heres the catch if you flashed with the external sdcard in with older TWRP it thinks that external is internal SD then when u boot internal is blank external don't work and the play store thinks you used up....also any music app doesn't see media... this happened to me... what i did was cracked back and format data and wiped all partitions took external out wiped everything in twrp...went to download mode in odin reflashed full four file G900TUVU1GQC2_G900TTMB1GQC2_G900TUVU1GQC2_HOME.tar.md5
somethimes its nice to boot Android 6.01 then look in the newer threads and see how people complain so much about this and that and remember The TOUCHWIZ days....lol....

Then flashed new 18.1 clean using the lineage recovery..... so that means I had to flash twrp once in odin to install the new recovery file to install the official build because I dont like hemidall
... with lineage gapps https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=322935
alansworld2010,

I appreciate your quick reply, but I'm not sure I fully understand. I'll have to ponder your suggestion to reflash the 6.01 files.

In the meantime, I think I'll start by wiping with TWRP again, then reinstalling with ODIN. Hopefully I'll get different (i.e. better) results. I will probably also try switching to MindTheGapps.

FYI, I'm using TWRP 3.5.1_9-0-klte and I start "clean" installs by having TWRP wipe: Davik/ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage and Cache. After the wipe, I install LoS and then boot into it. I go through the LoS start up, then power down, boot into TWRP, install Gapps and reboot into LoS.

Once I understood the various steps and chose the appropriate files, I successfully (mostly) installed LoS/Gapps on three SM-G900T phones. None of those installs and none of the phones had the problems I'm describing.

Tenaya

PS: I'm not going to miss TOUCHWIZ one tiny bit - - LoS is faster and better.

Reactions: vlad3647
Clean Install with TWRP

...FYI, I'm using TWRP 3.5.1_9-0-klte and I start "clean" installs by having TWRP wipe: Davik/ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage and Cache. After the wipe, I install LoS and then boot into it. I go through the LoS start up, then power down, boot into TWRP, install Gapps and reboot into LoS.

1- "3.5.1_9-0-klte" - Update to TWRP 3.5.2_9-0. Works great on my S5 G900M. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

2- "...TWRP wipe: Davik/ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage..." - Format Data is better than a simple wipe Data if you want a really clean install.

From TWRP FAQ: What is a data/media device?:

"...In TWRP we also have a wipe internal storage option that rm -rf's the media folder and a "Format Data" option that formats to recreate the entire file system in case something goes completely wrong or to remove device encryption."

Format Data adds an empty encryption footer after the end of the Data partition for some future encryption related data if enabled.

Format data will destroy the content of your internal storage so backup to external SD card or computer before doing it.

Then Advanced wipe System + the caches before installing LineageOS.

3- "...install LoS and then boot into it. I go through the LoS start up, then power down, boot into TWRP, install Gapps..." - That's wrong. You must NOT reboot to system before installing an optional GApps package otherwise expect apps crashing & other issues.

You need to install LineageOS + a GApps package in one go without rebooting to System in between because of necessary hooks & permissions granted during install.

On A/B partitions devices you need to reboot to recovery to switch the active slot before installing the GApps package. That's not the case for the A only partition Galaxy S5.

I wrote this for Windows PC users & LineageOS 16.0 because Odin is so much easier to use compared to Heimdall to flash TWRP but the same steps works for 18.1: S5 super clean install except that you need a GApps ARM package for Android 11.

See this for the current official LineageOS GApps recommendations: https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

Last edited:

Tenaya43

Dec 20, 2012
You need to install LineageOS + a GApps package in one go without rebooting to System in between because of necessary hooks & permissions granted during install.

2- "...TWRP wipe: Davik/ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage..." - Format Data is better than a simple wipe Data if you want a really clean install.

It is absolutely amazing how well things work when you do them the right way, in the right order.

With TWRP, I formatted, then wiped all the partitions. Then I installed LoS and MindTheGapps. After booting and startup, both the Camera and the Play Store work as expected. I'm still wandering around testing, but all looks good so far.

Thank you very much for your help.

Tenaya

pslag01

Nov 12, 2015
... so there's no way to use sd-cards as storage expansion anymore when reformatting? Dirty-flashed to 18.1 and sd-card is still available...hmmm.
First off, a big thanks to @haggertk for the incredible efforts to keep the S5 alive (mine: SM-G900P, kltedv).

Is there a way to retain the use of an external sd-card with a clean install of LOS 18.1? I understand the sd-card may be available w/a dirty install, but would prefer doing a clean upgrade. Both LOS recovery and TWRP (and LOS 17.1) have no issue with the sd-card, so I know it's not a bad card or corruption issue.

I clean-installed using LOS recovery with wipe/format (and MindTheGapps), but was not able to get the sd-card working. When prompted, I selected 'use as portable storage', but it says it's unreadable and I must format. After backing it up, I re-inserted, formatted, but it was still unusable. Same after restoring data to the card, it was still unusable/unreadable.

No sd-card is a showstopper for me, so I've reverted to LOS 17.1. I understand Android 11 has made significant changes to their storage model (e.g., scoped storage), but hopefully I'm just missing something and will be able to upgrade to 18.1 w/SD.

Dec 25, 2013
Is there a way to retain the use of an external sd-card with a clean install of LOS 18.1?
No sd-card is a showstopper for me, so I've reverted to LOS 17.1. I understand Android 11 has made significant changes to their storage model (e.g., scoped storage), but hopefully I'm just missing something and will be able to upgrade to 18.1 w/SD.

I just installed 18.1 and ogapps on g900i, and my external sdcard is working...

Maybe you have it formatted wrong, I think I read it can't be ext/ntfs/fs, it should be exfat.

pslag01

Nov 12, 2015
I just installed 18.1 and ogapps on g900i, and my external sdcard is working...

Maybe you have it formatted wrong, I think I read it can't be ext/ntfs/fs, it should be exfat.
Thanks. I formatted it w/LOS 18.1 when it complained of not being able to read/mount it.

Verified on a linux box: W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Mounted in LOS 17.1: seen as 'type sdcardfs'
- /mnt/media_rw/ECA7-F9CD on /storage/ECA7-F9CD type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)

exFAT is newer (and faster), but FAT32 should be fine, yes?

x2k13

Thanks. I formatted it w/LOS 18.1 when it complained of not being able to read/mount it.

Verified on a linux box: W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Mounted in LOS 17.1: seen as 'type sdcardfs'
- /mnt/media_rw/ECA7-F9CD on /storage/ECA7-F9CD type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)

exFAT is newer (and faster), but FAT32 should be fine, yes?
Funny thing I came across:
Just for the thrill of it, I backuped the sd-card's contents and formatted it (in LOS 18.1) as removable storage, then back to adoptable storage, rebooted, then copied everything back, migrated app-data from internal to sd-card.

Using DevCheck (search for it on Play Store):
Adoptable storage was ext4 (journaling linux fs, widely used) in LOS 17.1, turns out adoptable storage in LOS 18.1 is sdcardfs now (Samsung's invention, virtual fs).

Might be just a coincidence, but now the phone is booting faster, and the overall feel is a lot snappier.

I must admit, I haven't dug into how Android creates and handles volumes, especially when using adoptable storage on a fully crypted phone.
On Debian (which is my daily driver as desktop OS) it's done with LVM and LUKS/dm-crypt.

LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview

Edit:
Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Here is a copy/pasta of a bug report I created in case an other dev can fix it if @haggertk does not have the time of inclination to do it. A logcat is attached to the report as well as the same screenshots as attached to this post.

LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview

Expected Behavior

When using the LineageOS stock Camera app (Snap) in both camera (Settings > Picture size > (16.9) 15.9 megapixels) & video mode one expects to see the full frame preview to be able to chose the image’s composition before taking a picture or recording a video like in LineageOS 17.1 and 16.0 before that.

Current Behavior

In the Camera U.I. the view is cropped by the solid black overlay behind the buttons on the left & right side instead of using a light gray translucent overlay as seen in the attached screenshots.

Possible Solution

Maybe the issue was caused by the camera_control_bg_transparent deletion in res/values/colors.xml found in the Merged commit Snap: reorganize api2 layout?

As a workaround I am using Open Camera but would rather use Snap most of the time if the U.I. can be fixed.

Steps to Reproduce

As described above.

/device klte /version lineage-18.1 /date 2021-04-25 /kernel 3.4.113-lineageos-g4a34f0e /baseband G900MUBS1CQA3 /mods Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 recovery
Camera_Snap_vs_Snap_16.0_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png

Camera_Snap_vs_Open_Camera_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png

Last edited:
Reactions: holavilla and elahn

vlad3647

Feb 28, 2012
First off, a big thanks to @haggertk for the incredible efforts to keep the S5 alive (mine: SM-G900P, kltedv).

Is there a way to retain the use of an external sd-card with a clean install of LOS 18.1? I understand the sd-card may be available w/a dirty install, but would prefer doing a clean upgrade. Both LOS recovery and TWRP (and LOS 17.1) have no issue with the sd-card, so I know it's not a bad card or corruption issue.

I clean-installed using LOS recovery with wipe/format (and MindTheGapps), but was not able to get the sd-card working. When prompted, I selected 'use as portable storage', but it says it's unreadable and I must format. After backing it up, I re-inserted, formatted, but it was still unusable. Same after restoring data to the card, it was still unusable/unreadable.

3y
It worked for me ,boot into recovery, go to advanced options and "fix contexts".

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
OK, had an easy one (klte, german/european version): Fresh phone with A6 as it comes from Samsung. Whole factory stuff blown away by Heimdall and ADB. No google - nada, No root etc. Just back to the roots. All (very few - just 2) apps cryin' for "Play Services" thrown away. Ahhhhh, this baby is still fast with 2/16GB and without guggle. No problems with the SD cards (32 & 64GB)
Thx alot Mr. Haggertk

Ahh forgot: One additional thing, all term commands need to run under root -->sudo on my Linux Mint 19/20 desktop.

Top Liked Posts

My Device is Galaxy S5 Docomo Japan.
    I have just installed the latest version of Lineage OS, but the problem is still there, since the last time I used the older version with Android 10 a few months ago.

What is the problem?
    -Charging issue, not detected.
    -Can't be charged when the device is not booted on, otherwise it will keep restarting.

Any update/fix for this?
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-10 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-19 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-10-10: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most of them do not concern the S5 klte* family.

Most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r46' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r463.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: October 1, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin—October 2021 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

I found a weird workaround fix for my recurring Quick tiles & status bar curtain long press System UI crashing but that's for an other posts.
    Good morning, yesterday evening i updated my productive device to nightly build 2021-09-26 coming from 2021-09-19. Config is SM-G900F german/european version, no vendor brand, LOS recovery, no gapps, no magisk, etc. All good, no problems so far.
    THX Mr. Haggertk.
    A12 any expectations when a beta version is released for our S5 I would like to try it
    I personally plan to start looking for LOS19.x (or whatever the name will be) in the LATE march/april timeframe.
    If its there then, fine. If not, life will go on as usual, earth will continue to rotate and our sun will continue to burn many many tons of hydrogen per second and so on...
    A12 any expectations when a beta version is released for our S5 I would like to try it
    when it's ready, obviously you don't know the golden rule "never ask an ETA"
    On the subject of the Samsung Galaxy S5 only having 2GB of RAM and therefore a 'lack of resources' - I totally agree.

Although I have found some work arounds that vastly improve the situation for me and my use.

- Firstly as a general point I'm very strict about which apps are able to run in the background. In general this is the biggest problem. Although I do use the phone daily and normally and do still have quite a few background apps. In general I'm also not to agressive about how much multi tasking I try to do at once. I try to use an app, close it, and then open a different one.

- I also try not to install apps that I don't use, or that I can maybe use via a browser instead. I'm also thorough about disabling apps that I can't uninstall but don't need, as well as killing apps that I only use periodically. I've also tried preventing some apps from starting at boot (by using something like SDMaid), but of course just running a 'kill apps' after boot solves that too.

- For apps that I use regularly but which don't need to run in the background for any purpose (notifications, etc) I have set App Info > Advanced > Battery > Background Restriction > to Restricted.
    This enables the app to open much faster than if it were killed, but prevents it from using any resources if it's not open and in use.

- Finally what has helped the most is a tweaking app available here on XDA called HEBF. I'm not an expert but I've used this to set several specific tweaks which have made an enormous difference, such as:

- Low RAM Device Flag
    - Virtual Memory, increase Z-RAM
    (I didn't notice any battery hit from extra CPU use, but I did notice better memory management)
    - Low Memory Killer, change all parameters

In the case of the Low Memory Killer I changed a lot of parameters through trial and error because I do have a few services that I wanted to always run in the background without fail and they would often get killed despite various measures to prevent this. I rarely if ever have that problem anymore with the tweaked settings.

Anyway, just some info from my experience which might be useful to other users too.

Thanks to everyone one who has helped me here on XDA including @haggertk for the continued support as well as a lot of other developers who have provided some great apps and other users for their experience and comments too.

:)
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success Using TWRP

I upgraded my S5 7 days ago and did not lose any apps & settings: Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-18 + Open GApps Pico + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 >>> LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps for Android 11 ARM + Magisk 22.1 which I just OTA updated to LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

The only major issue is the unusable stock Camera as described here: LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview. Edit: Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Note: three S5 users so far AFAIK, including @Massedil in his post here, reported not being able to unlock their devices after upgrading to 18.1 from 17.1. I always disable screen & SIM locks before an update or upgrade just to remove variables that may go wrong.

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

Several S5 klte variants users reported failed to boot on 17.1 with a modem older than Android 6.0.1. This may also cause No Network or No Service issues on 17.1 & 18.1. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Also before a major upgrade to a higher version but not before regular updates: Magisk > Uninstall > Restore images to preserve my Magisk settings & modules while disabling Magisk (screenshot).

Re-flashed Magisk-22.1.zip after successful boot to System after the upgrade.

MindTheGapps is similar to Open GApps Nano. See Open GApps Package Comparison.

Searching apps with Google in /System:
    • Android Accessibility Suite
    • Android Auto
    • Android Setup
    • Data Transfer Tool
    • Exchange Services
    • Google (search app)
    • Google Calendar Sync
    • Google Contacts Sync
    • Google Partner Setup
    • Google Play services
    • Google Play Store
    • Google Services Framework
    • Google Text-to-speech Engine
    • Market Feedback Agent
    • Markup
    You can also download the MindTheGapps package, unzip & search it with apk.

You can disable the Google's search app with it's optional personal data hungry Assistant in it's app info. Which I did because it has too many running services for my taste.

AFAIK from the available Open GApps for Android 11 test builds 20210130 @ the present, only the Pico package was reported as issue free in the Open GApps support thread on XDA: GAPPS DAILY Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices.

I have been an Open GApps Pico user for years on several devices but since there are no official releases for Android 11 @ the present, I decided to test MindTheGapps because that's what LineageOS links to @ the present in https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and wanted to post about it.

See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ > {device} > Upgrade to a higher version of LineageOS.

After a full TWRP backup (including the important EFS partition but except the Cache) & triggering a fresh Google Backup* (Settings > System > Advanced > Backup in 17.1), I did the same steps as described in that upgrade guide except that I use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 so sideload must be started manually on the S5 before sideloading from the computer: TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > Swipe to Start Sideload.

Or simply copy the files to the device & flash from there using TWRP.

To make the TWRP backup smaller I use SD Maid > AppCleaner to clear the cache of all apps & make sure to delete all downloaded updates in Updater by long pressing them or if rooted move them from /data/lineageos_updates/ to external or internal SD Card.

In case of failing to boot you can restore only the System, Data & Boot (boot.img is actually the kernel) partions from the full backup.

Obviously there are other backup methods but that's the one I use since a couple of years & restored them both successfully.

On some devices, some versions of TWRP do not work well with LineageOS 18.1 and the Lineage recovery is recommended in those cases but on my S5 klte, TWRP wins hands-down with it's backup/restore feature, File Manager, installing both manually or via sideload & applying successfully OTA updates so I don't see any reasons for switching to the Lineage recovery @ the present.

Tip: to make the S5 18.1 U.I. faster & more fluid when opening the apps drawer, scrolling through home pages, opening Settings, etc: > Settings > Accessibility > toggle on Remove animations.

Try it before & after as fast as you can to see the difference.

*: Warning for people using a pattern lock screen see this bug report: Google cloud backup cannot be restored when using a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-10 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-19 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-10-10: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most of them do not concern the S5 klte* family.

Most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r46' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r463.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: October 1, 2021.

See Android Security Bulletin—October 2021 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

I found a weird workaround fix for my recurring Quick tiles & status bar curtain long press System UI crashing but that's for an other posts.