• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

chillipig

Jun 22, 2015
There Trick is to always have the correct GApps installed before bootin a clean installed or upgraded system. Android version and bittage has to match.

P.S.: noGApps is best choice
Yes I'm always careful to d/l the right package and flash it before first boot. 16.0 and 17.1 don't have the issue, there's nothing else I can do differently. As its seems to only be happening to one other person on here I'm going to assume its a DUOS specific issue as he doesn't mention which model he has, but if it were the G900F everyone would be reporting it.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
For the insufficent memory issues:
Can be due to Adoptable Storage, despite enough free mem on internal & external storage.
But the S5 is also running out of space due to Los18. Many apps can no longer access sdcard, which some of them previously did w/o notice.
That was the(later discovered) reason that many of my apps would crash after being restored from a Los17 TB backup and had to be removed, reinstalled from Playstore and configured from scratch for some extra hours of fun. After that internal free mem had shrunk by about 2gbytes in my case.
During the days of Kitkat(4.4), Playstore required a minimum of 250mbytes of free internal flash to update or install a single app.
Early this year i ran into the same problem with a bit less than 900mbytes free on my now retired Acer tablet.
And camera may crash and require a reboot or even reformatting of the sdcard, if you set it to save to sd. Especially when switching between picture and movie mode,and orobably when altering flash modes.
If you're going towards 1GB or less of free internal mem now, consider uninstalling apps or use Adoptable Storage, which has its very own quirks and is probably not even possible with Los18(hasn't support for ExtFS on sdcards been removed? AS requires encrypted Ext4, i used it on Cm14 & Co for security reasons, with internal free mem still being plenty. But too many issues.

chillipig

Jun 22, 2015
For the insufficent memory issues:
Can be due to Adoptable Storage, despite enough free mem on internal & external storage.
But the S5 is also running out of space due to Los18. Many apps can no longer access sdcard, which some of them previously did w/o notice.
That was the(later discovered) reason that many of my apps would crash after being restored from a Los17 TB backup and had to be removed, reinstalled from Playstore and configured from scratch for some extra hours of fun. After that internal free mem had shrunk by about 2gbytes in my case.
During the days of Kitkat(4.4), Playstore required a minimum of 250mbytes of free internal flash to update or install a single app.
Early this year i ran into the same problem with a bit less than 900mbytes free on my now retired Acer tablet.
And camera may crash and require a reboot or even reformatting of the sdcard, if you set it to save to sd. Especially when switching between picture and movie mode,and orobably when altering flash modes.
If you're going towards 1GB or less of free internal mem now, consider uninstalling apps or use Adoptable Storage, which has its very own quirks and is probably not even possible with Los18(hasn't support for ExtFS on sdcards been removed? AS requires encrypted Ext4, i used it on Cm14 & Co for security reasons, with internal free mem still being plenty. But too many issues.
Hi. Thanks for your reply but the 'insufficient space' problem is there before any backups are restored or changes are made. First boot as a new device, login to the Play store and updates immediatley fail with that message.

jdrch

Jun 18, 2014
Quad Cities, IA
It asks how this rom is going in the users who have the g900t model and the other question is arm or arm64. I ask it for the gapps
From the perspective of the ROM itself, all models function the same once you get it installed. The jailbreaking process turns whatever model you have into Google Play Edition(?) developer device, so no worries there. This is why the thread is named klte*.

The device's SoC is arm 32-bit, and so everything else associated with it is also arm 32-bit.

jdrch

Jun 18, 2014
Quad Cities, IA

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Enforcing or permmisive
Sorry, there is so much misinformation.
There is no jailbreak in android
You dont need to root with magisk
Official magisk download is from github topjohnwu
Bootloader unlock procedure for every device is in wiki.lineageos.org
Unlocking doesn't turn your device into anything else.

And selinux is enforcing for each official builld that you download from lineageOS.org

Reactions: curiousrom

Top Liked Posts

What is the difference between lineage os recovery and twrp
    IMO, the major difference is TWRP has nandroid backup/restore, LOS recovery does not. Both can be used to install ROMs.
    What is the difference between lineage os recovery and twrp
    TWRP is a "third party" product developed by the "Team Win Recovery Project". I am using both with no problems so far. i flashed TWRP with the help of the "ODIN" software. On another klte i flashed the LOS recovery with the freeware tool "Heimdall" as described in the LOS installation wiki. if you don't need the backup function, i recommend the LOS recovery. i can imagine, that a tool like the LOS recovery developed by a LOS developer will interact/coexist better with the LOS rom. Just my 2 cents...
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-08-29 - Quick Tiles Long Press Crashing

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-08-15 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-08-29: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are no spectacular changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but I did it anyway so I could post about it.

This issue is still present on my device after this update:

Trebuchet Crashing

I noticed a bug appearing recently: after expanding the Status bar quick tile curtain if you long press the clock the Trebuchet launcher/U.I. crashes... Same with shortcuts like Wi-Fi, Location, etc. instead of opening the corresponding settings panel.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-09-12 - Quick Tiles Long Press & Call Forwarding Crashing

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-08-29 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-09-12: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are no spectacular changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but I did it anyway to test some of the Changes so I could post about it.

The commit libril: initialise RIL_CallForwardInfo to 0 when requesting status does not concern the S5 klte family even if it's listed in /klte/changes/.

This is confirmed by haggertk today in the bug report discussion Call Forwarding - Call Settings Error - invalid MMI code.

In the LineageOS stock Phone app > 3-dots > Settings > Calls > GSM call settings > Call forwarding just made my S5 lose the network connection: no service as seen in the screenshot.

Edit: this commit is now Merged and will be included in the next update. :cool: - Maybe haggertk's commit msm8974-common: libril: initialise RIL_CallForwardInfo to 0 when requesting status will fix it but it's not merged yet. The label Active top left of that page means that it's still under review @ the present.

I wanted also to test Make battery clickable again in quick QS status but pressing on the quick QS status clock or battery makes the System UI crash on my S5.

After rebooting: same issue when pressing on the quick tiles Wifi, Mobile Data, etc while trying to get to the respective settings panels.

If I do it once, the Home page & status bar re-draws but I do it again the message System UI keeps stopping pop-up as seen in the screenshot.

In a logcat I can see:

--------- beginning of crash
    09-12 04:21:12.523 923 1158 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: AsyncTask #2
    09-12 04:21:12.523 923 1158 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.android.systemui, PID: 923
    09-12 04:21:12.523 923 1158 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create handler inside thread Thread[AsyncTask #2,5,main] that has not called Looper.prepare()

Could you guys test this & report please with your setup description please? 🙏 @haggertk said in the bug report linked above that he can't reproduce the issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An other minor annoyance: I use the stock LineageOS Trebuchet launcher and shortcuts created with the LineageOS Settings widget, to a webpage created with Chrome & shortcuts created with the app More Shortcuts v1.3.2 all disappeared from the Home page after the OTA update as you can see in the screenshots.

Could you guys create some shortcuts with the Settings widget before updating to see if they survive? You can long press the Settings icon > Widget icon.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍
    This is where I got my 4 file set from:

My SM-G900F is listed as Duos but I don't think that's correct. Anyway, have fun searching.
    Thanks a lot! I have now downloaded the two roms listed for my phone, and one is with four binary files (edited). New edit: I couldn't wait until the morning and flashed the four binary file. It passed! Still the phone doesn't boot, but now I see some light in the end of the tunnel. Thanks to all you good people for advice!

Odin Pass 4-binary firmware.png
    S5 Low Mobile Network Battery Usage @ Idle

does anybody know how to stop the mobile network battery drain?...

A recent modem & vendor's firmware may help: S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Make sure there is no apps, Play Store, F-Droid, etc updating or using data behind your back. See screenshot of GSam > Phone Radio.

You can also use > Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > App data usage.

Make sure you have a good stable cellular signal. See screenshot of GSam > Charts > Phone Signal.

For example @ home I get a 40~50% LTE signal while I get a 100% H+ signal and the latter uses less battery @ idle.

I compared the default > Settings > Network & internet > Mobile network > Preferred network type > GSM/WCDMA/LTE to GSM/WCDMA preferred. That may be different on a S5 CDMA model.

See screenshots of BetterBatteryStats which says Great signal for H+ with Level lost [%]: Bat.: -3%(87% to 84%) [0.4%/h] compared to Good signal on LTE with Level lost [%]: Bat.: -5%(87% to 82%) [0.8%/h].

The screenshot of GSam on H+ says -0.5%/h because I made the screenshot after the screen was on for 29 seconds and that was long enough to skew the stats a little bit.

The last screenshot is of GSam > Charts > Phone signal when my network provider had issues with the local cellular towers.

All battery tests done on a Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-08-29 @ the present + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0.

Screenshots with battery usage less than 0.1%/h while on Wifi @ home: Very Low S5 Battery Usage @ Idle

Details on setup & GSam test method explained in previous post: S5 klte LineageOS 18.1 Battery Usage @ Idle Test - Sleeps Like a Rock.

If you want to use both BBS & GSam like I do it's tricky. See my older BBS post here in that describes how to run a proper test without skewing the data in both BBS & GSam.
    Very Low S5 Battery Usage @ Idle

improved battery life ?
    I say this because when I tried it the battery drained even if I did not use the phone

The battery usage @ idle on LineageOS 18.1 for the S5 klte family is incredibly low since the day it was launched. 👍

Either you have bad Wifi or cellular signal or some rogue apps are doing stuff behind you back.

I attached some screenshots of GSam & BetterBatteryStats I made today after OTA updating to 2021-08-29 as described in the post above yours.

As you can see the battery drain was less than 1% total during the 7h54m idle test.

Details on setup & GSam test method explained in previous post: S5 klte LineageOS 18.1 Battery Usage @ Idle Test - Sleeps Like a Rock.

If you want to use both BBS & GSam like I did it's tricky. See my older BBS post here in that describes how to run a proper test without skewing the data in both BBS & GSam.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    Follow-up on corrupted external extfat sdcard

Test case :

1/ spotify updates its cached files located on the external extfat sdcard
    2/ spurious reboot occurs
    3/ upon reboot, the scdard is corrupted and can't be mounted

Diagnosis:

Checking manually the sdcard using fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files, which are preventing the card to be mounted : see attached log

- fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files but is enable to fix anything, whatever the option

- fsck.exfat Lineageos version 1.04 (checked in by haggertk)

- fsck.exfat current version 1.12

Although this makes no difference because of pending issue #117 : Can't repair corrupted exfat

- Inserting the sdcard into a PC, Windows detects the issue and offers to "scan and repair" the drive. Once the sdcard is "fixed", it can be used in the PC without problems. Although, a Windows "scanned and repaired" sdcard will still appear as corrupted in Lineageos and can't be mounted.

Options:

1/ On another device that can mount the sdcard, delete manually the previously identified corrupted files ; it's usually sufficient to fix the issue.

2/ Otherwise, backup the sdcard content, reformat (also restore the volumeid), then restore the backup.

Other thoughts :

Under stress writing to the sdcard, lineageos can reboot unexpectedly. Since this is not an isolated incident, this should definitely be investigated, since as a result the sdcard will be more likely corrupted and the actual tools don't allow to repair it.

I am not sure how to recover the log files preceding the reboot, once the device as rebooted. if someone can instruct me how to do so, I'll post them the next time this happens, which is unfortunately too frequently.
    Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success Using TWRP

I upgraded my S5 7 days ago and did not lose any apps & settings: Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-18 + Open GApps Pico + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 >>> LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps for Android 11 ARM + Magisk 22.1 which I just OTA updated to LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

The only major issue is the unusable stock Camera as described here: LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview. Edit: Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Note: three S5 users so far AFAIK, including @Massedil in his post here, reported not being able to unlock their devices after upgrading to 18.1 from 17.1. I always disable screen & SIM locks before an update or upgrade just to remove variables that may go wrong.

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

Several S5 klte variants users reported failed to boot on 17.1 with a modem older than Android 6.0.1. This may also cause No Network or No Service issues on 17.1 & 18.1. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Also before a major upgrade to a higher version but not before regular updates: Magisk > Uninstall > Restore images to preserve my Magisk settings & modules while disabling Magisk (screenshot).

Re-flashed Magisk-22.1.zip after successful boot to System after the upgrade.

MindTheGapps is similar to Open GApps Nano. See Open GApps Package Comparison.

Searching apps with Google in /System:
    • Android Accessibility Suite
    • Android Auto
    • Android Setup
    • Data Transfer Tool
    • Exchange Services
    • Google (search app)
    • Google Calendar Sync
    • Google Contacts Sync
    • Google Partner Setup
    • Google Play services
    • Google Play Store
    • Google Services Framework
    • Google Text-to-speech Engine
    • Market Feedback Agent
    • Markup
    You can also download the MindTheGapps package, unzip & search it with apk.

You can disable the Google's search app with it's optional personal data hungry Assistant in it's app info. Which I did because it has too many running services for my taste.

AFAIK from the available Open GApps for Android 11 test builds 20210130 @ the present, only the Pico package was reported as issue free in the Open GApps support thread on XDA: GAPPS DAILY Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices.

I have been an Open GApps Pico user for years on several devices but since there are no official releases for Android 11 @ the present, I decided to test MindTheGapps because that's what LineageOS links to @ the present in https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and wanted to post about it.

See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ > {device} > Upgrade to a higher version of LineageOS.

After a full TWRP backup (including the important EFS partition but except the Cache) & triggering a fresh Google Backup* (Settings > System > Advanced > Backup in 17.1), I did the same steps as described in that upgrade guide except that I use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 so sideload must be started manually on the S5 before sideloading from the computer: TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > Swipe to Start Sideload.

Or simply copy the files to the device & flash from there using TWRP.

To make the TWRP backup smaller I use SD Maid > AppCleaner to clear the cache of all apps & make sure to delete all downloaded updates in Updater by long pressing them or if rooted move them from /data/lineageos_updates/ to external or internal SD Card.

In case of failing to boot you can restore only the System, Data & Boot (boot.img is actually the kernel) partions from the full backup.

Obviously there are other backup methods but that's the one I use since a couple of years & restored them both successfully.

On some devices, some versions of TWRP do not work well with LineageOS 18.1 and the Lineage recovery is recommended in those cases but on my S5 klte, TWRP wins hands-down with it's backup/restore feature, File Manager, installing both manually or via sideload & applying successfully OTA updates so I don't see any reasons for switching to the Lineage recovery @ the present.

Tip: to make the S5 18.1 U.I. faster & more fluid when opening the apps drawer, scrolling through home pages, opening Settings, etc: > Settings > Accessibility > toggle on Remove animations.

Try it before & after as fast as you can to see the difference.

*: Warning for people using a pattern lock screen see this bug report: Google cloud backup cannot be restored when using a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍