• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

supachris

Jul 17, 2009
Dresden
Dont worry i'll watch it over the day. As mentioned it is not really productive currently. All tasks are killed except GSAM. No fingerprint or lock screen or screen saver. I am working over 40 years in software development, datacenter support/networks and application support. I've seen alot of impossible things in my IT- life..... :cool: ...and dont forget the users: "i did nothing...really, ..nothing..."

update: BTW it is now at 4,0% per hour....total of 88... very interesting. What about this old tale that sometimes a battery has itself to "arrange" with a ROM - is this a fairy tale ? Or are there "Gremlins at work" ? :)

Update 1500 CET: 3.1% per hour
This is similar to my wife´s klte. 3...5% per hour. BBS showed 97% deep sleep nevertheless. Rolled back to 17.1 with same app setup and opengapps pico and same sync settings, the battery consumtion is down to less than 1% per hour.
Since she was complaining so much, I cannot experiment too much, unfortunately...

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
This is similar to my wife´s klte. 3...5% per hour. BBS showed 97% deep sleep nevertheless. Rolled back to 17.1 with same app setup and opengapps pico and same sync settings, the battery consumtion is down to less than 1% per hour.
Since she was complaining so much, I cannot experiment too much, unfortunately...
You need to have a "user-acceptance-test device" :) I still have my other prod klte as a backup with 17.1. I run that from spring 2020 until spring 2021 when i installed 18.1 on the phone i used with 16.x . It has the same setup, a good battery. Each year i keep my current one and update the other (older) one to the new LOS version. Therefore its easy to compare them lying side by side and depending on that i can agree with your experience above. :)

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
the latest LOS17 version in my archive for the klte is the following:
lineage-17.1-20210411-nightly-klte-signed.zip plus the recovery.
In april i switched over to LOS18.1.

if you send me a link where i can upload it we can give that a try.
I dont have the checksum file but i only download from lineageos.org therefore i can state that this is the original file.

wiwi11

Aug 3, 2021
the latest LOS17 version in my archive for the klte is the following:
lineage-17.1-20210411-nightly-klte-signed.zip plus the recovery.
In april i switched over to LOS18.1.

if you send me a link where i can upload it we can give that a try.
I dont have the checksum file but i only download from lineageos.org therefore i can state that this is the original file.
I am new and i am also interested for the lineage 17.1 version.
wiwi11

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
I had an unexpected reboot this morning. Phone was sitting it its stand doing nothing. Discarge is at 1,2% per hour currently/since yesterday. Battery level was at 28%. Hardware is in very good condition. Works perfectly with 17.1 and with 18.1 until i did update to 20210801 using the built in updater. I am currently unboxing one of my test klts's with a build as of 20210711 to see how both can be compared. Have new batterys in both devices and i am currently charge them to the same battery level.
Will keep you posted here.

Last edited:
S5 Battery Usage @ Idle

...Phone was sitting it its stand doing nothing. Discarge is at 1,2% per hour currently/since yesterday. ...Works perfectly with 17.1 and with 18.1 until i did update to 20210801...

Oh My Gosh you are doing something wrong!

GSam screenshots with 0%/hour discharge I made today on Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-08-01.

Hint: it's your setup, not the ROM. ;)

GSam_0_Discharge_5h_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
GSam_0_Discharge_App_Time_Held_Awake_5h_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
GSam_0_Discharge_Battery_Charts_5h_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png

Details on setup & test method explained in previous post: S5 klte LineageOS 18.1 Battery Usage @ Idle Test - Sleeps Like a Rock.

Reactions: dcarvil

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
Ok, if its my setup:
Why do i have another phone with the same setup + Google api and a battery which is a little bit older, which has now 4% loss in ~4 hours (the one running 2021-07-11) and the first one with a litte newer battery no google stuff which has now a battery loss of 13% in four hours. All of my four phones in use have the same setup the two others are a pixel3 and a pixel2 running LOS18.1. you showed me just a different way to look at the problem (thats interesting thank) but i have alot of information now to show that using the same hardware even a better battery will not prevent you from this heavier battery drain. And my other phone has google services running which cost additional power. without google i had normally ~0.5 to 0.8% per hour. I dont want to blame someone, RESPECT for the work of all maintainers! but there are some facts i cannot ignore. I think we should keep an eye on this and do some more analysis and we will see how it will develop. Unfortunately i cannot revert my current prod klte back to an older build as i have to use an RSA key generator on it and with a reset of this app i have to deploy new keys on my other devices. I cant do this currently due to my jobs workload.
We will seee if there are other users reporting similar problems when the 20210801 build is more widely in use.
Thanks for your help and additional idea with the GSAM setup.

Reactions: vlad3647

supachris

Jul 17, 2009
Dresden
I'm pretty sure it's the setup in combination with the rom. Something of the non ROM setup behaves different on 17.1 here. Maybe one app or service interacts in another way with the system on 18.1 and leads to more power consumption. My wife's klte has the same setup, apps and hardware, it needs 5% overnight in 17.1 but 40% in 18.1. Very strange. There seems to be no certain app eating the battery if believing in BBS.

Reactions: zimral.xda

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
I agree with you in that. Such a small phone is a full blown Linux computer these day including its complexity. We should not say "This cant be the case" thats too easy thats what old people have done decades ago , my dad included. There are alot of things between heaven and earth and one day we will track this down and help Mr. Haggertk to continue support of this old and lovely phone.

Chatbox

Jun 8, 2006
Is anyone able to get a Fiio Q1Mk2 DAC working with the latest 18.1 build? My G900F was on 17.1, and the DAC was working then. However, ever since I moved to 18.1 a few months ago, the DAC is no longer functional with the phone. On the other hand, for reference, my i9505 (S4) on 18.1 is working with the same DAC.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
Someone with deeper insight than me may shed some light, but i think the S5 is hopelessly under-powered now. High cpu load and memory management working overtime due to insufficient ram(my Note 10.1 2014 with Snapdragon 800, 3GB RAM and Los17.1 performs considerably better, probably all for that one GB) cause high latencies and timeouts with and without error messages.
And extremely high battery usage and temps. Cpu cores only know two stages anymore(offline/idle and 2,45ghz), which denotes how puny the SD 801 has become.

I use Naptime to save battery in standby. Though this helps somehow, it also de-calibrates the battery monitor. I think you can also see it with Gsam & Co:
Battery consumption in standby may be low(1%/h), but once the device is out of standby, battery percentage will drop rapidly for a limited time and the end result is catastrophic. I'm (got another fresh battery one year ago) down to about 9-12h standby with at most 3 hours SOT, all the way down from more than 24 hours standby and more than 7 hours SOT in 2016/17 and up to stock 6.1.
And you are much less productive when just waiting for something for most of the time or having to repeat stuff or kill and re-run apps because of timeouts and non-responding/endless tasks(silent timeout).

Reactions: x2k13

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Someone with deeper insight than me may shed some light, but i think the S5 is hopelessly under-powered now. High cpu load and memory management working overtime due to insufficient ram(my Note 10.1 2014 with Snapdragon 800, 3GB RAM and Los17.1 performs considerably better, probably all for that one GB) cause high latencies and timeouts with and without error messages.
And extremely high battery usage and temps. Cpu cores only know two stages anymore(offline/idle and 2,45ghz), which denotes how puny the SD 801 has become.

I use Naptime to save battery in standby. Though this helps somehow, it also de-calibrates the battery monitor. I think you can also see it with Gsam & Co:
Battery consumption in standby may be low(1%/h), but once the device is out of standby, battery percentage will drop rapidly for a limited time and the end result is catastrophic. I'm (got another fresh battery one year ago) down to about 9-12h standby with at most 3 hours SOT, all the way down from more than 24 hours standby and more than 7 hours SOT in 2016/17 and up to stock 6.1.
And you are much less productive when just waiting for something for most of the time or having to repeat stuff or kill and re-run apps because of timeouts and non-responding/endless tasks(silent timeout).
Looks like you are running heavy apps. Start from scratch and add one by one till you see the lagging.

Reactions: curiousrom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-10 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-19 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-10-10: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most of them do not concern the S5 klte* family.

Most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r46' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r463.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: October 1, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin—October 2021 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

I found a weird workaround fix for my recurring Quick tiles & status bar curtain long press System UI crashing but that's for an other posts.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-09-19 - Android Security Bump & Call Forwarding Fix

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-12 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-09-19: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ some do not concern the S5 klte* family but most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r43' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r43.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: September 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin—September 2021 for details about the security fixes.

S5 LineageOS 18.1 Call Forwarding Fix!

Thanks to haggertk's commits msm8974-common: libril: initialise RIL_CallForwardInfo to 0 when requesting status and also klte-common: libril: avoid SEGV when requesting call forwarding info in the LineageOS stock Phone app > 3-dots > Settings > Calls > GSM call settings > Call forwarding > Always forward > select contact to forward to > turn on works! :)

Of note as seen in the screenshots with call forwarding active, clicking on the Call Forwarding notification & turning it off a returns a Call settings error - Unexpected response from network but forwarding is disabled anyway and I could receive a call. 🤷‍♂️

That may depend on my specific network provider's response.

Contrary to update 2021-06-13 as I posted here and other updates, shortcuts on Home created with the LineageOS Settings widget, a third-party app & to web pages with the stock Browser, Chrome & Edge survived. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍
    Good morning, yesterday evening i updated my productive device to nightly build 2021-09-26 coming from 2021-09-19. Config is SM-G900F german/european version, no vendor brand, LOS recovery, no gapps, no magisk, etc. All good, no problems so far.
    THX Mr. Haggertk.
    A12 any expectations when a beta version is released for our S5 I would like to try it
    when it's ready, obviously you don't know the golden rule "never ask an ETA"
    A12 any expectations when a beta version is released for our S5 I would like to try it
    I personally plan to start looking for LOS19.x (or whatever the name will be) in the LATE march/april timeframe.
    If its there then, fine. If not, life will go on as usual, earth will continue to rotate and our sun will continue to burn many many tons of hydrogen per second and so on...
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success Using TWRP

I upgraded my S5 7 days ago and did not lose any apps & settings: Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-18 + Open GApps Pico + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 >>> LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps for Android 11 ARM + Magisk 22.1 which I just OTA updated to LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

The only major issue is the unusable stock Camera as described here: LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview. Edit: Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Note: three S5 users so far AFAIK, including @Massedil in his post here, reported not being able to unlock their devices after upgrading to 18.1 from 17.1. I always disable screen & SIM locks before an update or upgrade just to remove variables that may go wrong.

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

Several S5 klte variants users reported failed to boot on 17.1 with a modem older than Android 6.0.1. This may also cause No Network or No Service issues on 17.1 & 18.1. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Also before a major upgrade to a higher version but not before regular updates: Magisk > Uninstall > Restore images to preserve my Magisk settings & modules while disabling Magisk (screenshot).

Re-flashed Magisk-22.1.zip after successful boot to System after the upgrade.

MindTheGapps is similar to Open GApps Nano. See Open GApps Package Comparison.

Searching apps with Google in /System:
    • Android Accessibility Suite
    • Android Auto
    • Android Setup
    • Data Transfer Tool
    • Exchange Services
    • Google (search app)
    • Google Calendar Sync
    • Google Contacts Sync
    • Google Partner Setup
    • Google Play services
    • Google Play Store
    • Google Services Framework
    • Google Text-to-speech Engine
    • Market Feedback Agent
    • Markup
    You can also download the MindTheGapps package, unzip & search it with apk.

You can disable the Google's search app with it's optional personal data hungry Assistant in it's app info. Which I did because it has too many running services for my taste.

AFAIK from the available Open GApps for Android 11 test builds 20210130 @ the present, only the Pico package was reported as issue free in the Open GApps support thread on XDA: GAPPS DAILY Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices.

I have been an Open GApps Pico user for years on several devices but since there are no official releases for Android 11 @ the present, I decided to test MindTheGapps because that's what LineageOS links to @ the present in https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and wanted to post about it.

See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ > {device} > Upgrade to a higher version of LineageOS.

After a full TWRP backup (including the important EFS partition but except the Cache) & triggering a fresh Google Backup* (Settings > System > Advanced > Backup in 17.1), I did the same steps as described in that upgrade guide except that I use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 so sideload must be started manually on the S5 before sideloading from the computer: TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > Swipe to Start Sideload.

Or simply copy the files to the device & flash from there using TWRP.

To make the TWRP backup smaller I use SD Maid > AppCleaner to clear the cache of all apps & make sure to delete all downloaded updates in Updater by long pressing them or if rooted move them from /data/lineageos_updates/ to external or internal SD Card.

In case of failing to boot you can restore only the System, Data & Boot (boot.img is actually the kernel) partions from the full backup.

Obviously there are other backup methods but that's the one I use since a couple of years & restored them both successfully.

On some devices, some versions of TWRP do not work well with LineageOS 18.1 and the Lineage recovery is recommended in those cases but on my S5 klte, TWRP wins hands-down with it's backup/restore feature, File Manager, installing both manually or via sideload & applying successfully OTA updates so I don't see any reasons for switching to the Lineage recovery @ the present.

Tip: to make the S5 18.1 U.I. faster & more fluid when opening the apps drawer, scrolling through home pages, opening Settings, etc: > Settings > Accessibility > toggle on Remove animations.

Try it before & after as fast as you can to see the difference.

*: Warning for people using a pattern lock screen see this bug report: Google cloud backup cannot be restored when using a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-10 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-19 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-10-10: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most of them do not concern the S5 klte* family.

Most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r46' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r463.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: October 1, 2021.

See Android Security Bulletin—October 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I found a weird workaround fix for my recurring Quick tiles & status bar curtain long press System UI crashing but that's for an other posts.