• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

FerUMP75

Nov 12, 2021
S5 G900V eMMC CID 11: Impossible to Unlock Bootloader

Sorry but you are out of luck & it's not possible to unlock the bootloader of your device.

The sequence for the S5 SM-G900V is > Samsung OS > check if eMMC CID 15 > unlock bootloader > flash TWRP custom recovery > backup EFS partition > Flash LineageOS + optional packages if you wish.

An unlocked bootloader is required to be able to install a custom recovery which in turn is required to be able to install a custom ROM like LineageOS.

See this thread which is more on topic for your issue: [GUIDE] Root, Bootloader Unlocks, and More!

Thanks for you answer!

Reactions: curiousrom

haggertk

@haggertk Opening camera by double-pressing the power button still doesn't work. Error: No connection to camera. But the camera apparently opens behind that toast. This is annoying and doesn't work for months now. When will this be fixed? On LOS 19?
Can't fix it if I can't reproduce it, and double-press power opens camera just fine here.

Reactions: Concept48

x2k13

Can't fix it if I can't reproduce it, and double-press power opens camera just fine here.
Okay, here's a log I recorded via MatLog Libre. Steps:

Start recording
Press power to lock the screen
Double-press power again to start the camera
*Error connecting to camera*
Unlock phone
Stop recording, export log

I hope that helps. The issue is already mentioned in this thread several times, not only by me. ;)

Edit: *sighs* xda won't keep my attachments so here's the log online:

I think the interesting part begins at line 360.

Edit2: Looking for 'connect' in the log I stumbled across this, starting at line 417:
Code:
11-17 15:08:07.946 V/CAM_PhotoModule(25247): Open camera device.
11-17 15:08:07.947 V/CameraHolder(25247): open camera 0
11-17 15:08:07.948 W/ServiceManager(  631): Permission failure: android.permission.SYSTEM_CAMERA from uid=10117 pid=25247
11-17 15:08:07.948 I/CameraService(  631): CameraService::connect call (PID -1 "org.lineageos.snap", camera ID 0) for HAL version 256 and Camera API version 1
11-17 15:08:07.951 I/CameraService(  631): onTorchStatusChangedLocked: Torch status changed for cameraId=0, newStatus=0
11-17 15:08:07.952 I/CameraService(  631): Camera 0: Access for "org.lineageos.snap" has been restricted
11-17 15:08:07.952 E/CameraService(  631): connectHelper: Could not initialize client from HAL.
11-17 15:08:07.953 E/CameraService(  631): unregisterMonitorUid: Trying to unregister uid: 10117 which is not monitored!
11-17 15:08:07.953 I/CameraService(  631): onTorchStatusChangedLocked: Torch status changed for cameraId=0, newStatus=1
11-17 15:08:07.953 I/CameraService(  631): disconnect: Disconnected client for camera 0 for PID 25247
11-17 15:08:07.954 V/CAM_AndroidCameraManagerImpl(25247): openLegacy failed due to null, using open instead
11-17 15:08:07.955 W/ServiceManager(  631): Permission failure: android.permission.SYSTEM_CAMERA from uid=10117 pid=25247
11-17 15:08:07.955 W/ServiceManager(  631): Permission failure: android.permission.SYSTEM_CAMERA from uid=10117 pid=25247
11-17 15:08:07.955 I/CameraService(  631): CameraService::connect call (PID -1 "org.lineageos.snap", camera ID 0) for HAL version default and Camera API version 1
11-17 15:08:07.961 I/CameraService(  631): onTorchStatusChangedLocked: Torch status changed for cameraId=0, newStatus=0
11-17 15:08:07.963 I/CameraService(  631): Camera 0: Access for "org.lineageos.snap" has been restricted
11-17 15:08:07.963 E/CameraService(  631): connectHelper: Could not initialize client from HAL.
11-17 15:08:07.963 D/WifiNl80211Manager(  791): Scan result ready event
11-17 15:08:07.963 E/CameraService(  631): unregisterMonitorUid: Trying to unregister uid: 10117 which is not monitored!
11-17 15:08:07.963 D/WifiNative(  791): Scan result ready event
11-17 15:08:07.963 I/CameraService(  631): onTorchStatusChangedLocked: Torch status changed for cameraId=0, newStatus=1
11-17 15:08:07.964 I/CameraService(  631): disconnect: Disconnected client for camera 0 for PID 25247
11-17 15:08:07.964 W/CameraBase(25247): An error occurred while connecting to camera 0: Status(-8, EX_SERVICE_SPECIFIC): '6: connectHelper:1754: Camera "0" disabled by policy'
11-17 15:08:07.964 E/CameraHolder(25247): fail to connect Camera:-1, aborting.
11-17 15:08:07.964 E/CAM_PhotoModule(25247): Failed to open camera:0

Last edited:

haggertk

Okay, here's a log I recorded via MatLog Libre. Steps:

Start recording
Press power to lock the screen
Double-press power again to start the camera
*Error connecting to camera*
Unlock phone
Stop recording, export log

I hope that helps. The issue is already mentioned in this thread several times, not only by me. ;)

Ah, only from lockscreen... yeah, I see it.

It'll be fixed when this is merged: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_packages_apps_Snap/+/319052

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris

x2k13

@haggertk do you have an idea what might cause this?:

Last edited:

Hasan1122behj

Aug 26, 2021
Hi. Thank for good rom . But , even the recording apps work and they record... But thére is no income voice or outcome voice in calling.

I use 18.1-20211114-NIGHTLY-klteduos versoin for g900fd

Fandroid Tech

Jan 23, 2018
Hi. Thank for good rom . But , even the recording apps work and they record... But thére is no income voice or outcome voice in calling.

I use 18.1-20211114-NIGHTLY-klteduos versoin for g900fd
Lineage devs disabled it for your country because of 'muh laws', you can use a 3rd party call recorder. Check this thread, https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-enable-native-call-recorder.3996233/page-2. I could recompile it without the block restrictions if it does not work, but I think that there are issues installing it.

Or you can use the Firefds Kit Xposed Module it will let you record without issues or the trouble of trying to edit the apk.
Sir , any chance of available for Galaxy S5 G900H ?? My phone is dying :(:(
Your phone lost support at 14.1, there may be a newer unofficial lineage rom for your device https://lineageosroms.com/k3gxx/ .

Reactions: pmduper

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
Updating to the Nov 28 build sent my phone right into the Odin mode. I had to restore nandroid, but having some problems doing so, I'm not sure if the fault is with the update or my phone. Had no such problems with the previous updates, though. Anyone else having the same error?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Updating to the Nov 28 build sent my phone right into the Odin mode. I had to restore nandroid, but having some problems doing so, I'm not sure if the fault is with the update or my phone. Had no such problems with the previous updates, though. Anyone else having the same error?
Can you give details? Device type, previously installed version, add-ons?

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
Can you give details? Device type, previously installed version, add-ons?
It's samsung s5 klte, updated with the Nov 21 update of los 18.1 last Sunday, and the previous updates before that. I cannot rule out that the error might be due to the phone, though, as I restored my older s 5 on the present one (see my post of sept 15 on this thread), but until now I have had no problems with updating. I'm not sure what you mean by add-ons, but I can't think of any.

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
It's samsung s5 klte, updated with the Nov 21 update of los 18.1 last Sunday, and the previous updates before that. I cannot rule out that the error might be due to the phone, though, as I restored my older s 5 on the present one (see my post of sept 15 on this thread), but until now I have had no problems with updating. I'm not sure what you mean by add-ons, but I can't think of any.
G900F or what? Gapps? Magisk? What recovery?

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
G900F or what? Gapps? Magisk? What recovery?
Yes, SM-G900F, BitGApps arm 11 (I think it was, but I may have changed to MindTheGapps at some point, I don't know how to check which one is on the phone now), Magisk-v23.0, and TWRP twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte (I think, I would have to boot into recovery mode to check, does it matter?)

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Yes, SM-G900F, BitGApps arm 11 (I think it was, but I may have changed to MindTheGapps at some point, I don't know how to check which one is on the phone now), Magisk-v23.0, and TWRP twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte (I think, I would have to boot into recovery mode to check, does it matter?)
Mabe you should do a clean Installation. No magisk. No dirty switching between GApps installers. No twrp restores.

Top Liked Posts

I just flashed https://mirrorbits.lineageos.org/full/klte/20220123/lineage-18.1-20220123-nightly-klte-signed.zip OTA and well...
    It got weird Bro! All apps crash at launch, I'm trying to capture a log or two.

***EDIT***
    So it looks like if you do the OTA update instead of doing a manual update it enables Encryption and DM Verity.
    I'm guessing the OS broke when I tried to fix Magisk by flashing the boot.img followed by Magisk-v23.0.zip, UPDATE-Busybox.Installer.v1.34.1-ALL-signed.zip and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip then wiping the Dalvik and rebooting...

I guess don't use the OTA?!? I kinda figured it would parse for that first!
    ...So it looks like if you do the OTA update instead of doing a manual update it enables Encryption and DM Verity.

That's not an OTA nor an update issue, it's your setup that's messed up. Maybe some modules or some mods you made?

See my post above yours S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2022-01-23 - Android Security Bump

BTW reposting other people's work without their permission like you did for Magisk & other stuff is frowned upon by developers & bad practice IMO.

The Magisk dev is very clear about not redistributing his work.

It's better to link to the original threads or webpages as maybe some updates are available & also users can get more info.

Some devs also track the number of downloads which they can't do in this case.

Also there is the question of attribution: give credits to whom did the work.
    Last week i sold my last (of four) S5/klte's in good hands. I switched over to 2 Pixel3 and a Pixel5. I was able to grab a 12 months old Pixel5 in very good condition for really cheap money. Currently they all run stock android 12, with as much as possible google stuff uninstalled via ADB. But, of course it is planned to move to LOS19 with one of the Pixel3 asap - the unofficial LOS19.0 version was announced already:

I'd like to say goodbye and many thanks for the time with excellent support here!!! Maybe we meet in other threads hosted by this wonderful and productive community. 🛠️ (y)
    Ah, only from lockscreen... yeah, I see it.

It'll be fixed when this is merged: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_packages_apps_Snap/+/319052
    Hagger , we missed you for a while , but you are not forgotten , I want to thank you for all the work you did this year again , and I hope You will surprise us one of these day's again , Best Wishes for the New YEAR from Puck Channel48 .
    Howdy!

Well, it was a lesson :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In all the years I have been doing this, I never had this happen before! Like I mentioned, no great loss as I have already recovered 98% of what was on there.

My main concern is why I was able to get all the way through setup before it crashed into a mode that wouldn't boot? Maybe the SD card? Should I install a blank card and try again? Any thoughts GREATLY appreciated.

John
    Billings, MT
    sm-g900i kltedv

G'day mate,

My 2 cents worth.
    Anytime I flash a rom, except for OTA, I boot into twrp and always FORMAT first, next advance clean all but SD card. Flash the rom from SD card and setup. Never had problems.
    However I do not use GAPPS or Magisk. You may want to try rom only...

This may be an overkill however works well for me. Setup is a chore which I'm happy to do
    If you continue to have problems you may want to re install stock Samsung firmware, latest for your variant, and then head back to custom rom.
    Good luck

Cheers, Phil
    Has anyone tried to overclock our device? If yes, how is it going (battery, temperature, performance)?

Started to notice that the phone slows down on some "heavy" apps, such as maps, editors or even banking apps. I suppose it might be due to lack of memory. Can cpu overclocking cover it?

To free up memory I switched off everything I could. I'd like to de-google the device, but unfortunately I can't use it without gapps.

So what's your experience/opinion?
    I use some very basic tweaks and I've been happy with my device.
    -Almost no gapps, just the swype keyboard blob
    -CPU undervolt with SmartPack and the modded kernel I released here. But if you want something more professional Intelli-Kernel probably enables the same thing.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/kernel-11-placebo-kernel-los-18-1-undervolting.4273705/
    This made the phone run so much cooler that I could feel the difference with my hands. CPU throttles if it reaches 75C. With undervolt the CPU is so cool that it practically never hits 75C in normal use.
    -SmartPack: changed zram target from ~400 MB to 704 MB. zram is a voodoo science but increasing the target slightly probably doesn't hurt.
    -SmartPack: changed low memory killer to the low/light preset to discourage the OS from killing background apps while I'm multitasking
    -Just installed twindragon6's adreno drivers, seems like free GPU performance
    --------------
    Some miscellaneous info you can use:

If you're bored LOS already has a built-in feature to make the CPU faster/slower (but not overclock it.)

Settings > Battery >Battery Saver and Performance > Performance Profile

Balanced profile is generally the best.
    Quick actually does make the device faster/benchmarks higher at the cost of some battery. This profile is very usable for day-to-day, try switching to it when you want the phone to be slightly faster.
    Performance is really bad. Single core workloads it can be faster than quick. For multiple cores it will run too hot and throttle, making it slower than quick. Plus it drains battery like crazy.

So with everything I mentioned in mind using overclocked CPU freqs has a chance of backfiring and making your phone slower.

If you only need push notifications replacing gapps with microg will probably save you CPU time. You will need to run a fork of LOS that has signature spoofing.
    https://lineage.microg.org/

Also if your battery is aging just get a new one they're $10-$15.
    TWRP & Lineage Recovery - Format Data vs. Wipe

...I formated the phone again, flashing Lineage Recovery with TWRP. In Lineage Recovery i formated all partions and then reinstalled TWRP.

After that it start installing LineageOS 18.1 + Gapps and it works now.

I dont know why the Lineage Recovery is formating different...

Probably because you are confusing a simple wipe (factory reset) with Format Data in TWRP. See the attachments.

If you want to do a really clean install in TWRP *Format Data* + wipe System & caches before flashing LineageOS.

In both TWRP & Lineage recovery you cannot "formated all partions". You can only format the data partition & wipe the others. Words matter in this case.

From TWRP FAQ: What is a data/media device?:

"...Since /data/media is part of /data, we pretty much never actually format the data partition. Formatting data, of course, also removes the media folder that contains the internal sdcard. When you choose a factory reset, instead of formatting, we use rm -rf commands to remove all the folders except for the media folder so that we can remove all of your apps and settings while leaving your "sdcard" intact.

In TWRP we also have a wipe internal storage option that rm -rf's the media folder and a "Format Data" option that formats to recreate the entire file system in case something goes completely wrong or to remove device encryption."

Format Data adds an empty encryption footer after the end of the Data partition for some future encryption related data if enabled.

Format data will destroy the content of your internal storage so backup to external SD card or computer before doing it.

Note: in the Lineage recovery a factory reset will Format Data and destroy the content of the internal storage + will wipe the System partition & caches.

So my guess is that your S5 had an issue in the Data partition & the Format Data feature in the Lineage recovery fixed it.

TWRP & the Lineage Recovery are made by different people & have different features.

I prefer TWRP on the S5 mainly because of it's backup & File manager features.

On some other devices TWRP does not work properly so the Lineage Recovery is the only game in town in those cases.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-10 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-19 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-10-10: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most of them do not concern the S5 klte* family.

Most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r46' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r463.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: October 1, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin—October 2021 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

I found a weird workaround fix for my recurring Quick tiles & status bar curtain long press System UI crashing but that's for an other posts.