[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris
According to the changelog of the last build, there's a new option added to battery light: Turn off when fully charged. Except, it's not there. Interestingly enough, you can find it by searching for it, but it leads to the same battery light menu where it's missing.
I did a clean install of that build (full wipe of system and data with mindthegapps on top). So it shouldn't be just me. KLTE 900f btw

P.S. I guess you could achieve the same result by changing fully charged color to black (000000), but still find it interesting. Normally, when you search for something, it highlights the option, but not in this case, since it's not actually there.

https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_packages_apps_LineageParts/+/309023/ :

BatteryLightSettings: Add ability to turn off LED when fully charged

Option will not show for devices with colored battery LEDs as those can set the color to black.

So I think it is normal you can't see the new option ?

x2k13

Nov 2, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S5
I don't really know if this is the right place to discuss this, as I don't now if it's releated to LOS 18.1 on klte only, so please be patient with me.

I have some sort of "cosmetic" problem which I can't seem to find a solution to.

I had an sd-card formatted as external/removable storage which appeared (during runtime) in /storage as mount point labeled "E9AF-B328" (see attached image as well). The FS on the card is exfat, obviously.

Yesterday the card began acting up, LOS telling me it can't read anything and the card has to be formatted first...and so on. So I took the card over to my pc and it mounted without problems, dmesg on console saying "device wasn't unmounted properly..fsck.." Okay, no problem, lets do this.

I backuped the sd-card's contents to my PC, reformatted the card to extfs, copied the backup back, inserted it in my G900F, booted. System asked me to choose what to use the card for, tapped removeable storaged, et voila, all good again, just had to re-map some storage paths for a few apps, no big deal.

Now for the "cosmetic" part:
When browsing to /storage with a file manager, I noticed that the "new" card had been mounted as "BA04-0366", which is okay, since the FS on the card is new and so has a different ID. But, the old mount point "E9AF-B328" is still there.

I tried to find the file that must have stored the setting to add the mount point to /storage, but had no luck.

Deleting it from /storage manually doesn't work, because it will get replaced the second I delete it. Which is weird because on Linux the mount point will be just gone, so I was expecting this to be the case on Android as well.

So the old mount point must have been stored in a file I don't know where it is to edit/comment that mount point out. The different fstab files I could find on the phone don't contain the mount point's ID. I ran out of ideas.

All this is no showstopper, don't get me wrong. I just want to know if anyone knows a proper solution to this.

:)

TL;DR
Old sd-card mount point still in /storage, cannot remove it, how to do it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-084626_MiXplorer.png
    Screenshot_20210504-084626_MiXplorer.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 23

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I don't really know if this is the right place to discuss this, as I don't now if it's releated to LOS 18.1 on klte only, so please be patient with me.

I have some sort of "cosmetic" problem which I can't seem to find a solution to.

I had an sd-card formatted as external/removable storage which appeared (during runtime) in /storage as mount point labeled "E9AF-B328" (see attached image as well). The FS on the card is exfat, obviously.

Yesterday the card began acting up, LOS telling me it can't read anything and the card has to be formatted first...and so on. So I took the card over to my pc and it mounted without problems, dmesg on console saying "device wasn't unmounted properly..fsck.." Okay, no problem, lets do this.

I backuped the sd-card's contents to my PC, reformatted the card to extfs, copied the backup back, inserted it in my G900F, booted. System asked me to choose what to use the card for, tapped removeable storaged, et voila, all good again, just had to re-map some storage paths for a few apps, no big deal.

Now for the "cosmetic" part:
When browsing to /storage with a file manager, I noticed that the "new" card had been mounted as "BA04-0366", which is okay, since the FS on the card is new and so has a different ID. But, the old mount point "E9AF-B328" is still there.

I tried to find the file that must have stored the setting to add the mount point to /storage, but had no luck.

Deleting it from /storage manually doesn't work, because it will get replaced the second I delete it. Which is weird because on Linux the mount point will be just gone, so I was expecting this to be the case on Android as well.

So the old mount point must have been stored in a file I don't know where it is to edit/comment that mount point out. The different fstab files I could find on the phone don't contain the mount point's ID. I ran out of ideas.

All this is no showstopper, don't get me wrong. I just want to know if anyone knows a proper solution to this.

:)

TL;DR
Old sd-card mount point still in /storage, cannot remove it, how to do it?
Shutting down android does not automatically eject the SD card. You have to tap eject before removing SD.

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
I tried today to update from the April 25th build to the May 2nd build (LineageOs 18.1 for klte), and it didn't boot. It got almost up but was always thrown back into TWRP recovery. I tried a few times and also tried to wipe Dalvik and Cache, but to no avail. Had to reinstall April 25th build from recovery.

x2k13

Nov 2, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S5
Shutting down android does not automatically eject the SD card. You have to tap eject before removing SD.
So what can I do now?

Okay, here's what I've tried so far:

Ejected the new card during runtime, then shutdown. Took another, identical card, formatted it on console like this:

sudo mkfs.exfat -i E9AFB328 /dev/sdd1

resulting in

File system exfat, labeled E9AF-B328 (the same as the othe card had before).

Inserted card, rebooted, system showed this mount point active, but – the other one that had been added using the newly formatted card is now inactive but still there. The same situation, actually.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: kurtn

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I tried today to update from the April 25th build to the May 2nd build (LineageOs 18.1 for klte), and it didn't boot. It got almost up but was always thrown back into TWRP recovery. I tried a few times and also tried to wipe Dalvik and Cache, but to no avail. Had to reinstall April 25th build from recovery.
Some strange GApps or magisk?

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
Some strange GApps or magisk?
I cannot say. I am a complete amateur in this business, but for what it is worth, I don't think the problem lies with either of them. For the record: I use the BiTGApps-arm-11.0.0-R19_signed, and am very happy with it. I have a problem with Magisk - it fails the Safetynet test, but as it does manage to hide root from my bank apps, that doesn't matter much to me. It did pass the Safetynet in the unofficial builds of los 18.1, but I haven't been able to install Magisk by the recommended method (fastboot - I'm not even sure if one can use fastboot on the SM-G900F?). Sorry to be of so little help.

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I cannot say. I am a complete amateur in this business, but for what it is worth, I don't think the problem lies with either of them. For the record: I use the BiTGApps-arm-11.0.0-R19_signed, and am very happy with it. I have a problem with Magisk - it fails the Safetynet test, but as it does manage to hide root from my bank apps, that doesn't matter much to me. It did pass the Safetynet in the unofficial builds of los 18.1, but I haven't been able to install Magisk by the recommended method (fastboot - I'm not even sure if one can use fastboot on the SM-G900F?). Sorry to be of so little help.
I would try to uninstall magisk before ota update.

Bifidusse

May 4, 2021
I registered only to thank you haggertk for this support. I especially bought a second-hand klte to replace my FP1 for which there's no update available anymore. This is awesome, you made the job Samsung (and many others) didn't. Thank you so much !

At this time everything works, but I haven't test all the apps I use on a daily basis.

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
I would try to uninstall magisk before ota update.
Thanks, you're right! I was unable to uninstall Magisk (tried all the tricks), and after a lot of fuzz I was able to install los recovery again and perform a full factory reset. That seems to have gotten rid of Magisk. The update now seems to work. Now I need to install Magisk again. However, I have not succeeded using the patched_image method.

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Thanks, you're right! I was unable to uninstall Magisk (tried all the tricks), and after a lot of fuzz I was able to install los recovery again and perform a full factory reset. That seems to have gotten rid of Magisk. The update now seems to work. Now I need to install Magisk again. However, I have not succeeded using the patched_image method.
My preferred installation method: rename apk to zip and flash in recovery
My preferred uninstallation tap uninstall in app

Reactions: curiousrom

wuko

Feb 12, 2021
Hallo,
S5,klte, last nightly, Trebuchet launcher
adopted Sdcard
Symbols from new installed apps vor moved from drawer to homescreen
are deleted from homescreen after
restart.
Any advice ????

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
My preferred installation method: rename apk to zip and flash in recovery
My preferred uninstallation tap uninstall in app
Thanks, I think it works smoothly now. My only question is whether to install twrp again. It was a hazzle to swope it with los recovery, but the latter doesn't provide a back-up solution. Do we need that, or is Titanium sufficient for most purposes?

Last edited:

x2k13

Nov 2, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thanks, I think it works smoothly now. My only question is whether to install twrp again. It was a hazzle to swope it with los recovery, but the latter doesn't provide a back-up solution. Do we need that, or is Titanium sufficient for most purposes?
I think TWRP is the solution you want. You can do full backups and installing is really easy using heimdall in download mode. Updating TWRP is easy as well, just flash the .img to recovery and that's it. Major plus is the ability to decrypt data partition when the phone is encrypted. LOS recovery lacks that function completely, so basically all you can do with LOS recovery is OTA updates and wipe the phone.

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
I think TWRP is the solution you want. You can do full backups and installing is really easy using heimdall in download mode. Updating TWRP is easy as well, just flash the .img to recovery and that's it. Major plus is the ability to decrypt data partition when the phone is encrypted. LOS recovery lacks that function completely, so basically all you can do with LOS recovery is OTA updates and wipe the phone.
Thanks for all your kind help. I'm now back on twrp recovery. (But I had to flash in Odin - cannot use fastboot on Samsung, it seems, nor did I get Heimdall to work. I'm ok now, however.)

Failed OTA Update BiTGApps - Script: Capture Bootloop Logcat - Magisk SafetyNet Test

I tried today to update from the April 25th build to the May 2nd build (LineageOs 18.1 for klte), and it didn't boot. It got almost up but was always thrown back into TWRP recovery
For the record: I use the BiTGApps-arm-11.0.0-R19_signed,

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

It may also be an issue with BiTGApps's update survival script which should be located in the /system/addon.d/ folder.

Try using MindTheGapps which worked for me as described in Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success or use the Open GApps Pico for Android 11 ARM test build linked in that post.

Both can be dirty flashed without affecting the apps you installed, their data & your settings: flash both LineageOS followed by the GApps package in one go without wiping anything except the Dalvik / Art cache & Cache.

Script: Capture Bootloop Logcat - Recovery Log

You can find a recovery log after a successful or failed OTA update or manual update in the /cache/recovery/ folder which may help troubleshooting an issue.

A logcat may help find the reason a device fails to boot.

Magisk may be able to create a logcat of a failed boot or bootloop in /cache/ if you use a script in /data/adb/post-fs-data.d even if the device does not boot to System.

For more info see https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHelpBugs > Logcat boot script.

I attached a script I created for my S5 with @DiamondJohn's amazing & nerdy TeMeFi app which keeps two 30 seconds long logcats of the last 2 boots named for example: 20210502061513_boot_logcat.log.

Just unzip the attached logcat_on_boot_Magisk_curiousrom.zip and copy the script logcat_on_boot to the /data/adb/post-fs-data.d/ folder & reboot. Then check in /cache/ to see if it worked.

My script settings:

################################################################### ## Set up all the variables / parameters temp_file_location="/cache"; file_postfix="_boot_logcat.log"; temp_file_name="$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")"; dest_file_location="/cache"; let max_wait_for_mount_sec=300; dest_file_name="$temp_file_name"; logcat_length_sec=30; test_mount_file="DUMMY_TEST_DELETE_ME"; max_number_of_logs=2; extra_logs="Y"; ###################################################################

If you want to create a custom script for yourself: TeMeFi > Magisk > scroll all the way down to Logcat of Boot.

Magisk SafetyNet Test Failing - API Error

...I have a problem with Magisk - it fails the Safetynet test, but as it does manage to hide root from my bank apps...

Maybe it's just a bug with the SafetyNet test API in Magisk 22.0 & 22.1 as seen in the attached screenshot. That has been reported many times in the XDA Magisk support thread because it seems to work with your bank's app.

Just make sure you enabled MagiskHide in Magisk's settings.

Test with apps like SafetyNet Test or SafetyNet Helper Sample for example like in the attached screenshot which I just made.

Attachments

• logcat_on_boot_Magisk_curiousrom.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Magisk_22.1_SafetyNet_API_Error_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Magisk_22.1_SafetyNet_API_Error_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SafetyNet_attest_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    SafetyNet_attest_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

S5 SC-04F Docomo kltekdi Not Charging - Heart Rate Monitor

My device doesn’t charge with the default lineage OS kernel i resolved this issue in 17.1 by a custom kernel …But now in 18.1 no custom kernel is available at the moment….My device is Samsung Galaxy S5 (SC-04F) docomo edition….Rom Build is (lineage 18.1 2020/04/30 nightly kltekdi-).

There are a bunch of changes for your device that should be included in kltekdi build 2021-05-07 if all goes well with the automated builder, maybe that will fix it: https://download.lineageos.org/kltekdi/changes/

Are you using a power adapter with an output of 5v, 2A? Did you try with an other USB cable?

If you turn off your S5 does it charge? If you use TWRP does it charge when in recovery & connected to the adapter or a computer?

I am quoting this from a S5 17.1 thread as haggertk or @Aljr13_ maybe will reply:

I Have a Problem, i using this rom version 17.1 update 26-03-2021, but my phone can't charge, any solution ?
    What device and build? Does it happen to be a kltekdi build?
    yup, samsung S5 Docomo
    I'll pm you a boot.img to try, maybe tomorrow.

S5 Heart Rate Monitor & App Alternatives

Also please help out with a workaround for Heart Rate Sensor since it doesn’t work by default…

There is a way here on XDA to enable the S5 heart rate sensor which I tried when I was running LineageOS 16.0 unofficial but after running 3 consecutive tests comparing the results with a stock Samsung 6.0.1 on S5 Mini G800H's heart sensor and those simple apps using the camera instead like Heart Rate Monitor by Meet Your Need Production and Heart Rate Monitor by REPS which gave exactly the same results I did not bother with it and the resource hungry S-Health after a clean install of LineageOS 16.0 official.

See this video which is exactly what happened on my S5 G900M: Galaxy S5 heart rate sensor vs ? pulse measuring app from the Play Store

I ran 3 tests on each S5 devices using S-Health + 3 tests on 7 heart beat apps each (21 tests total) and the apps & camera method is as reliable as Samsung's heart beat sensor on the S5.

S-Health is huge and wants a ton of permissions & that's why I dumped it as well as the required S-Health framework.

This said if your S5 is rooted with Magisk search for the module Heart Rate Sensor Enabler for SGS5. YMMV.
    Hi. I'm running LOS 18.1 official on an SM-G900T (T-Mobile) and want to root the device. I've read mixed opinions about Magist. Can anyone suggest the preferred (best) method of rooting this device/OS?
    Hey! There is currently no other way to root then magisk...
    OK, magist it is. Any pitfalls I should avoid or tips I should follow (I've never used it before).
    Best chance to not break ota update is using twrp, not encrypting and flashing magisk apk renamed to zip.
    S5 SC-04F Docomo kltekdi Not Charging - Heart Rate Monitor

There are a bunch of changes for your device that should be included in kltekdi build 2021-05-07 if all goes well with the automated builder, maybe that will fix it: https://download.lineageos.org/kltekdi/changes/

Are you using a power adapter with an output of 5v, 2A? Did you try with an other USB cable?

If you turn off your S5 does it charge? If you use TWRP does it charge when in recovery & connected to the adapter or a computer?

I am quoting this from a S5 17.1 thread as haggertk or @Aljr13_ maybe will reply:

S5 Heart Rate Monitor & App Alternatives

There is a way here on XDA to enable the S5 heart rate sensor which I tried when I was running LineageOS 16.0 unofficial but after running 3 consecutive tests comparing the results with a stock Samsung 6.0.1 on S5 Mini G800H's heart sensor and those simple apps using the camera instead like Heart Rate Monitor by Meet Your Need Production and Heart Rate Monitor by REPS which gave exactly the same results I did not bother with it and the resource hungry S-Health after a clean install of LineageOS 16.0 official.

See this video which is exactly what happened on my S5 G900M: Galaxy S5 heart rate sensor vs ? pulse measuring app from the Play Store

I ran 3 tests on each S5 devices using S-Health + 3 tests on 7 heart beat apps each (21 tests total) and the apps & camera method is as reliable as Samsung's heart beat sensor on the S5.

S-Health is huge and wants a ton of permissions & that's why I dumped it as well as the required S-Health framework.

This said if your S5 is rooted with Magisk search for the module Heart Rate Sensor Enabler for SGS5. YMMV.
    Thanks for your response…..I am using the correct power adapter as rated by you 5v 2A, and the device doesn’t charge when turned off….It charges perfectly fine in TWRP …..On lineage Os 18.1 i noticed that when i keep my device connected to the charger the device won’t show any charging activity or notification but after the removal of the usb cable after sometime and a system reboot, the battery level is changed…For instance if its 20% it would be 35% etc after reboot….That means the device is charging in background but not showing any response to the charger… The data transfer process works fine in lineage OS 18.1 but no charging activity while on TWRP it shows charging activity with data transfer when connected to a computer….
    Re: S5 kltekdi Charging Issues - Battery % After Reboot

….It charges perfectly fine in TWRP …..

That's good because it rules out hardware, USB cable or power adapter issues.

In TWRP with the power adapter, if you charge to 100% + leave it connected for an additional 30 minutes then disconnect & reboot to system, what battery % does it show on the status bar?

…..On lineage Os 18.1 i noticed that when i keep my device connected to the charger the device won’t show any charging activity or notification but after the removal of the usb cable after sometime and a system reboot, the battery level is changed…For instance if its 20% it would be 35% etc after reboot….That means the device is charging in background but not showing any response to the charger…

After connecting the S5 to the power adapter for at least 2 hours & rebooting to system what battery % does it show on the status bar?

I am asking these battery % after reboot because of what I posted here in the S5 16.0 thread but still remains valid: S5 Battery Charging - Fake 100%.

Does a third-party app like the excellent GSam Battery Monitor, for example, show your S5 charging & mA current like the attached screenshot I just took of my S5 G900M klte build 2021-05-02 connected to a power adapter with a 5V @ 2A output?

See GSam user guide which is a little bit dated but informative.

Did you install or OTA updated the most recent build 2021-05-07 @ the present for your S5 kltekdi & test charging again?
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success Using TWRP

I upgraded my S5 7 days ago and did not lose any apps & settings: Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-18 + Open GApps Pico + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 >>> LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps for Android 11 ARM + Magisk 22.1 which I just OTA updated to LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

The only major issue is the unusable stock Camera as described here: LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview. Edit: Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Note: three S5 users so far AFAIK, including @Massedil in his post here, reported not being able to unlock their devices after upgrading to 18.1 from 17.1. I always disable screen & SIM locks before an update or upgrade just to remove variables that may go wrong.

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

Several S5 klte variants users reported failed to boot on 17.1 with a modem older than Android 6.0.1. This may also cause No Network or No Service issues on 17.1 & 18.1. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Also before a major upgrade to a higher version but not before regular updates: Magisk > Uninstall > Restore images to preserve my Magisk settings & modules while disabling Magisk (screenshot).

Re-flashed Magisk-22.1.zip after successful boot to System after the upgrade.

MindTheGapps is similar to Open GApps Nano. See Open GApps Package Comparison.

Searching apps with Google in /System:
    • Android Accessibility Suite
    • Android Auto
    • Android Setup
    • Data Transfer Tool
    • Exchange Services
    • Google (search app)
    • Google Calendar Sync
    • Google Contacts Sync
    • Google Partner Setup
    • Google Play services
    • Google Play Store
    • Google Services Framework
    • Google Text-to-speech Engine
    • Market Feedback Agent
    • Markup
    You can also download the MindTheGapps package, unzip & search it with apk.

You can disable the Google's search app with it's optional personal data hungry Assistant in it's app info. Which I did because it has too many running services for my taste.

AFAIK from the available Open GApps for Android 11 test builds 20210130 @ the present, only the Pico package was reported as issue free in the Open GApps support thread on XDA: GAPPS DAILY Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices.

I have been an Open GApps Pico user for years on several devices but since there are no official releases for Android 11 @ the present, I decided to test MindTheGapps because that's what LineageOS links to @ the present in https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and wanted to post about it.

See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ > {device} > Upgrade to a higher version of LineageOS.

After a full TWRP backup (including the important EFS partition but except the Cache) & triggering a fresh Google Backup* (Settings > System > Advanced > Backup in 17.1), I did the same steps as described in that upgrade guide except that I use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 so sideload must be started manually on the S5 before sideloading from the computer: TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > Swipe to Start Sideload.

Or simply copy the files to the device & flash from there using TWRP.

To make the TWRP backup smaller I use SD Maid > AppCleaner to clear the cache of all apps & make sure to delete all downloaded updates in Updater by long pressing them or if rooted move them from /data/lineageos_updates/ to external or internal SD Card.

In case of failing to boot you can restore only the System, Data & Boot (boot.img is actually the kernel) partions from the full backup.

Obviously there are other backup methods but that's the one I use since a couple of years & restored them both successfully.

On some devices, some versions of TWRP do not work well with LineageOS 18.1 and the Lineage recovery is recommended in those cases but on my S5 klte, TWRP wins hands-down with it's backup/restore feature, File Manager, installing both manually or via sideload & applying successfully OTA updates so I don't see any reasons for switching the the Lineage recovery @ the present.

Tip: to make the S5 18.1 U.I. faster & more fluid when opening the apps drawer, scrolling through home pages, opening Settings, etc: > Settings > Accessibility > toggle on Remove animations.

Try it before & after as fast as you can to see the difference.

*: Warning for people using a pattern lock screen see this bug report: Google cloud backup cannot be restored when using a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    Clean Install with TWRP

...FYI, I'm using TWRP 3.5.1_9-0-klte and I start "clean" installs by having TWRP wipe: Davik/ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage and Cache. After the wipe, I install LoS and then boot into it. I go through the LoS start up, then power down, boot into TWRP, install Gapps and reboot into LoS.

1- "3.5.1_9-0-klte" - Update to TWRP 3.5.2_9-0. Works great on my S5 G900M. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

2- "...TWRP wipe: Davik/ART Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage..." - Format Data is better than a simple wipe Data if you want a really clean install.

From TWRP FAQ: What is a data/media device?:

"...In TWRP we also have a wipe internal storage option that rm -rf's the media folder and a "Format Data" option that formats to recreate the entire file system in case something goes completely wrong or to remove device encryption."

Format Data adds an empty encryption footer after the end of the Data partition for some future encryption related data if enabled.

Format data will destroy the content of your internal storage so backup to external SD card or computer before doing it.

Then Advanced wipe System + the caches before installing LineageOS.

3- "...install LoS and then boot into it. I go through the LoS start up, then power down, boot into TWRP, install Gapps..." - That's wrong. You must NOT reboot to system before installing an optional GApps package otherwise expect apps crashing & other issues.

You need to install LineageOS + a GApps package in one go without rebooting to System in between because of necessary hooks & permissions granted during install.

On A/B partitions devices you need to reboot to recovery to switch the active slot before installing the GApps package. That's not the case for the A only partition Galaxy S5.

I wrote this for Windows PC users & LineageOS 16.0 because Odin is so much easier to use compared to Heimdall to flash TWRP but the same steps works for 18.1: S5 super clean install except that you need a GApps ARM package for Android 11.

See this for the current official LineageOS GApps recommendations: https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html
    LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. the Fix is in the Tubes!

Good news, following a conversation with a dev here in the Lineage subreddit this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview

Here is a copy/pasta of a bug report I created in case an other dev can fix it if @haggertk does not have the time of inclination to do it. A logcat is attached to the report as well as the same screenshots as attached to this post.

LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview

Expected Behavior

When using the LineageOS stock Camera app (Snap) in both camera (Settings > Picture size > (16.9) 15.9 megapixels) & video mode one expects to see the full frame preview to be able to chose the image’s composition before taking a picture or recording a video like in LineageOS 17.1 and 16.0 before that.

Current Behavior

In the Camera U.I. the view is cropped by the solid black overlay behind the buttons on the left & right side instead of using a light gray translucent overlay as seen in the attached screenshots.

Possible Solution

Maybe the issue was caused by the camera_control_bg_transparent deletion in res/values/colors.xml found in the Merged commit Snap: reorganize api2 layout?

As a workaround I am using Open Camera but would rather use Snap most of the time if the U.I. can be fixed.

Steps to Reproduce

As described above.

/device klte /version lineage-18.1 /date 2021-04-25 /kernel 3.4.113-lineageos-g4a34f0e /baseband G900MUBS1CQA3 /mods Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 recovery
    View attachment 5292129

View attachment 5292131
    Failed OTA Update BiTGApps - Script: Capture Bootloop Logcat - Magisk SafetyNet Test

I tried today to update from the April 25th build to the May 2nd build (LineageOs 18.1 for klte), and it didn't boot. It got almost up but was always thrown back into TWRP recovery
    For the record: I use the BiTGApps-arm-11.0.0-R19_signed,

It may also be an issue with BiTGApps's update survival script which should be located in the /system/addon.d/ folder.

Try using MindTheGapps which worked for me as described in Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success or use the Open GApps Pico for Android 11 ARM test build linked in that post.

Both can be dirty flashed without affecting the apps you installed, their data & your settings: flash both LineageOS followed by the GApps package in one go without wiping anything except the Dalvik / Art cache & Cache.

Script: Capture Bootloop Logcat - Recovery Log

You can find a recovery log after a successful or failed OTA update or manual update in the /cache/recovery/ folder which may help troubleshooting an issue.

A logcat may help find the reason a device fails to boot.

Magisk may be able to create a logcat of a failed boot or bootloop in /cache/ if you use a script in /data/adb/post-fs-data.d even if the device does not boot to System.

For more info see https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHelpBugs > Logcat boot script.

I attached a script I created for my S5 with @DiamondJohn's amazing & nerdy TeMeFi app which keeps two 30 seconds long logcats of the last 2 boots named for example: 20210502061513_boot_logcat.log.

Just unzip the attached logcat_on_boot_Magisk_curiousrom.zip and copy the script logcat_on_boot to the /data/adb/post-fs-data.d/ folder & reboot. Then check in /cache/ to see if it worked.

My script settings:

################################################################### ## Set up all the variables / parameters temp_file_location="/cache"; file_postfix="_boot_logcat.log"; temp_file_name="$(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")"; dest_file_location="/cache"; let max_wait_for_mount_sec=300; dest_file_name="$temp_file_name"; logcat_length_sec=30; test_mount_file="DUMMY_TEST_DELETE_ME"; max_number_of_logs=2; extra_logs="Y"; ###################################################################

If you want to create a custom script for yourself: TeMeFi > Magisk > scroll all the way down to Logcat of Boot.

Magisk SafetyNet Test Failing - API Error

...I have a problem with Magisk - it fails the Safetynet test, but as it does manage to hide root from my bank apps...

Maybe it's just a bug with the SafetyNet test API in Magisk 22.0 & 22.1 as seen in the attached screenshot. That has been reported many times in the XDA Magisk support thread because it seems to work with your bank's app.

Just make sure you enabled MagiskHide in Magisk's settings.

Test with apps like SafetyNet Test or SafetyNet Helper Sample for example like in the attached screenshot which I just made.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone