[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread
S5 Charging

...if you really worry about battery life, avoid ...overcharge(plug off the charger when the battery is 100% charged)...

That's not necessary.

I ran some charging tests on my S5 G900M using an inline USB multimeter and made this post: S5 Battery Charging - Fake 100%.

Amps goes automatically down when nearing 100% & eventually goes to 0 with just a trickle once in a while.

Check the screenshots in the post.

wuko

Feb 12, 2021
Hallo,
klte,buid 20220529,Magisk 24.3,no gapps, adopted sdcard: no problems
I always edit mixer_paths.xml to increase the speaker volume.
I am 78y old :)
when I tried this with the the last two nighlty builds after OTA update
I get when i try to save the file a java.IOExeption error.
Any advice ?

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
Hallo,
I am 78y old :)
Any advice ?
System partition is read only when booted. I don't know how you came so far. If I change files, I usually copy them to internal storage. Edit that. Boot into twrp. Mount system. Rename the original file. Copy the edited file to original system folder. Reboot.

S5 Magisk Persistent mixer_paths.xml mods

You can use this Magisk module I made myself, modify the mixer_paths.xml in it & it will survive updates: S5 Mic Boost Magisk Module - Stereo Recordings.

S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2022-06-19 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2022-05-15 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 to build 2022-06-19: everything went smoothly as usual & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are several changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Bump Security String to 2022-06-05.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: June 5, 2022.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - June 2022 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_2022-06-19_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_2022-06-19_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 54

minoo14534

May 14, 2019
Rojava Kurdistan
S5 Mic Boost Magisk Module - Stereo Recordings

If your device is rooted with Magisk, thanks to a post by @dcarvil in the old 16.x thread here for inspiration, I created a module for myself for a S5 G900M klte to boost the mic via the mixer_paths.xml because my WhatsApp's sound messages were too low.

I did not create a module installer for it yet but you can download the attached Module_mixer_paths_mic_Boost_curiousrom.zip, unpack it and copy the mixer_paths folder to /data/adb/modules & reboot.

After that in the Magisk app > Modules: enable mic_boost_118 as seen in the screenshot & reboot.

I boosted the value for both mics near the USB port and the one on the top of the S5 next to the IR blaster from 95 to 118. If you change it to a higher value expect some distortions in some apps:

Code:
<!-- Recording Scenario  -->
    <path name="rec-main-mic">
        <path name="main-mic" />
        <ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="118" />
    </path>

<path name="rec-sub-mic">
        <path name="sub-mic" />
        <ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="118" />
    </path>

I use a vacuum cleaner once in a while to clean the USB port, the mic hole next to it & also the top mic hole next to the IR blaster which is used when you have stereo recording enabled in some third-party recording apps like Easy Voice Recorder for example. (screenshots)

You can modify the mixer_paths/system/vendor/etc/mixer_paths.xml file in that module folder if you want to change the values of other stuff & reboot to apply.

If not rooted using adb root or File Manager in TWRP you can pull the /system/vendor/etc/mixer_paths.xml file, modify it & push it back to the device but that will not survive an update & you will have to redo it afterwards. :-/

Maybe @haggertk could apply this mic boost mod to the official LineageOS 18.1 for the S5 klte family as it is a common issue reported by several users? :unsure:

Note: thanks @ludwig83 for your post above linking to my post in the abandoned unofficial S5 18.1 thread. Might as well re-post it here, add a note for non-rooted devices and pinging haggertk about it.
Hi
Thank you for your help.
I changed the values for microphone volume according to your instructions and now I'm very happy with it. Finally, people can understand me better when I'm on the phone.

My second problem is the volume of the earpiece speaker, I don't mean the main speaker, unfortunately it's too quiet when making calls. Can you please write me which values I can change in the (mixer_paths.xml file ).

I could use a little more volume when making calls.

That would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: curiousrom

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris
Hello ! Do you have Wifi Direct sharing working on this ROM ? If no, do you know why ? (For me, it is greyed out) Thanks !

Fix S5 Low Earpiece Volume During Calls

Thank you for your help.
I changed the values for microphone volume according to your instructions and now I'm very happy with it.

You are welcome & thanks for the feedback.

My second problem is the volume of the earpiece speaker, I don't mean the main speaker, unfortunately it's too quiet when making calls. Can you please write me which values I can change in the (mixer_paths.xml file ).

Because your S5 is at least 6 years old & I don't remember anybody having this issue I would suggest to first clean the tiny holes of the earpiece with a vacuum cleaner, toothbrush or small needle without going too deep.

If it's still too low, in the section below I changed the value="82" to "86" in my S5's mixer_paths.xml Magisk module, rebooted & it is a tad too loud for me at max volume.

Go gradually if you need it even louder and don't go over 92 so not to damage the earpiece.

<!-- Voice call Scenario -->
<!-- RX part -->
<path name="voice-call-handset">
<ctl name="ES705 RX1 Enable" value="1" />
<path name="rcv" />
<ctl name="EAR PA Gain" value="POS_6_DB" />
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="82" />
</path>

Last edited:

minoo14534

May 14, 2019
Rojava Kurdistan
Fix S5 Low Earpiece Volume During Calls

You are welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Because your S5 is at least 6 years old & I don't remember anybody having this issue I would suggest to first clean the tiny holes of the earpiece with a vacuum cleaner, toothbrush or small needle without going too deep.

If it's still too low, in the section below I changed the value="82" to "86" in my S5's mixer_paths.xml Magisk module, rebooted & it is a tad too loud for me at max volume.

Go gradually if you need it even louder and don't go over 92 so not to damage the earpiece.

<!-- Voice call Scenario -->
<!-- RX part -->
<path name="voice-call-handset">
<ctl name="ES705 RX1 Enable" value="1" />
<path name="rcv" />
<ctl name="EAR PA Gain" value="POS_6_DB" />
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="82" />
</path>

Hello curiousrom
Thank you for your saving hint.
I've had volume issues for years.
I found that changing the earpiece speaker values to 93 got it really optimal volume.
<!-- Play Scenario -->
<path name="handset">
<path name="rcv" />
<ctl name="EAR PA Gain" value="POS_3_DB" />
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="93" />
</path>

And for the volume of the main microphone and handset microphones to 114.

<!-- Recording Scenario -->
<path name="main-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="114" />
</path>

<path name="sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="114" />
</path>

For this I use the App Mixplorer as root.

Thank you very much again

minoo14534

May 14, 2019
Rojava Kurdistan
Hello curiousrom
Thank you for your saving hint.
I've had volume issues for years.
I found that changing the earpiece speaker values to 93 got it really optimal volume.
<!-- Play Scenario -->
<path name="handset">
<path name="rcv" />
<ctl name="EAR PA Gain" value="POS_3_DB" />
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="93" />
</path>

I mean this speaker earpiece speaker.!

View attachment mediapoint_hörer-2.webp
And for the volume of the main microphone and handset microphones to 114.

<!-- Recording Scenario -->
<path name="main-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="114" />
</path>

<path name="sub-mic" />
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="114" />
</path>

For this I use the App Mixplorer as root.

Thank you very much again
curiousrom

I've had the same problem for years with a Galaxy S5 Neo with Lineageos 17.1
I've raised the issue before but haven't found a solution yet.
I don't know where to change the values.
Main microphone and sub microphone are much too quiet and handset microphones too quiet.

Maybe you know where I can change something in mixer_paths.xml

This is the Lineageos 17.1 mixer_paths.xml file for Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo.

Attachments

• mixer_paths_0.xml
    102 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2022-07-17 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2022-07-10 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 to build 2022-07-17: everything went smoothly as usual & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are several changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Bump Security String to 2022-07-05.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: July 5, 2022.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - July 2022 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_2022-07-17_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_2022-07-17_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 14

briciola65

Jul 13, 2022
Samsung Galaxy S5
good evening

today having nothing to do I tried to put the lineageOS 18.1 and the gapps 10.0.0 arm on the samsung s5, the lineageOS is loaded all perfect the problem and that the gapps do not and consequently I can not download applications because you do not see the playstore, someone is so kind to help me thanks

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
good evening

today having nothing to do I tried to put the lineageOS 18.1 and the gapps 10.0.0 arm on the samsung s5, the lineageOS is loaded all perfect the problem and that the gapps do not and consequently I can not download applications because you do not see the playstore, someone is so kind to help me thanks
LineageOS 18.1 is android 11. Select GApps accordingly. Or use more privacy friendly app stores. F-droid and aurora store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2022-07-17 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2022-07-10 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 to build 2022-07-17: everything went smoothly as usual & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are several changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Bump Security String to 2022-07-05.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: July 5, 2022.

See Android Security Bulletin - July 2022 for details about the security fixes.

HSPA.png

Maybe they haven't shut down HSPA(+) in major cities yet. 🤔

I'm gonna miss this phone when it's finally time to retire it. It's been an adventurous couple of years since I bought it for $50 in 2019.
    LineageOS 18.1 is android 11. Select GApps accordingly. Or use more privacy friendly app stores. F-droid and aurora store.
    thanks everything works with both apps(y)
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-10-10 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-09-19 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-10-10: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most of them do not concern the S5 klte* family.

Most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Merge tag 'android-11.0.0_r46' into staging/lineage-18.1_merge-android-11.0.0_r463.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: October 1, 2021.

See Android Security Bulletin—October 2021 for details about the security fixes.

I found a weird workaround fix for my recurring Quick tiles & status bar curtain long press System UI crashing but that's for an other posts.