[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

Hamza Shahbaz

• Jun 12, 2019
    Bahawalpur
    S5 SC-04F Docomo kltekdi Not Charging - Heart Rate Monitor

There are a bunch of changes for your device that should be included in kltekdi build 2021-05-07 if all goes well with the automated builder, maybe that will fix it: https://download.lineageos.org/kltekdi/changes/

Are you using a power adapter with an output of 5v, 2A? Did you try with an other USB cable?

If you turn off your S5 does it charge? If you use TWRP does it charge when in recovery & connected to the adapter or a computer?

I am quoting this from a S5 17.1 thread as haggertk or @Aljr13_ maybe will reply:

S5 Heart Rate Monitor & App Alternatives

There is a way here on XDA to enable the S5 heart rate sensor which I tried when I was running LineageOS 16.0 unofficial but after running 3 consecutive tests comparing the results with a stock Samsung 6.0.1 on S5 Mini G800H's heart sensor and those simple apps using the camera instead like Heart Rate Monitor by Meet Your Need Production and Heart Rate Monitor by REPS which gave exactly the same results I did not bother with it and the resource hungry S-Health after a clean install of LineageOS 16.0 official.

See this video which is exactly what happened on my S5 G900M: Galaxy S5 heart rate sensor vs ? pulse measuring app from the Play Store

I ran 3 tests on each S5 devices using S-Health + 3 tests on 7 heart beat apps each (21 tests total) and the apps & camera method is as reliable as Samsung's heart beat sensor on the S5.

S-Health is huge and wants a ton of permissions & that's why I dumped it as well as the required S-Health framework.

This said if your S5 is rooted with Magisk search for the module Heart Rate Sensor Enabler for SGS5. YMMV.
    Thanks for your response…..I am using the correct power adapter as rated by you 5v 2A, and the device doesn’t charge when turned off….It charges perfectly fine in TWRP …..On lineage Os 18.1 i noticed that when i keep my device connected to the charger the device won’t show any charging activity or notification but after the removal of the usb cable after sometime and a system reboot, the battery level is changed…For instance if its 20% it would be 35% etc after reboot….That means the device is charging in background but not showing any response to the charger… The data transfer process works fine in lineage OS 18.1 but no charging activity while on TWRP it shows charging activity with data transfer when connected to a computer….

Reactions: curiousrom
    Re: S5 kltekdi Charging Issues - Battery % After Reboot

….It charges perfectly fine in TWRP …..

That's good because it rules out hardware, USB cable or power adapter issues.

In TWRP with the power adapter, if you charge to 100% + leave it connected for an additional 30 minutes then disconnect & reboot to system, what battery % does it show on the status bar?

…..On lineage Os 18.1 i noticed that when i keep my device connected to the charger the device won’t show any charging activity or notification but after the removal of the usb cable after sometime and a system reboot, the battery level is changed…For instance if its 20% it would be 35% etc after reboot….That means the device is charging in background but not showing any response to the charger…

After connecting the S5 to the power adapter for at least 2 hours & rebooting to system what battery % does it show on the status bar?

I am asking these battery % after reboot because of what I posted here in the S5 16.0 thread but still remains valid: S5 Battery Charging - Fake 100%.

Does a third-party app like the excellent GSam Battery Monitor, for example, show your S5 charging & mA current like the attached screenshot I just took of my S5 G900M klte build 2021-05-02 connected to a power adapter with a 5V @ 2A output?

See GSam user guide which is a little bit dated but informative.

Did you install or OTA updated the most recent build 2021-05-07 @ the present for your S5 kltekdi & test charging again?

Attachments

• GSam_Charging_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      GSam_Charging_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      257.2 KB · Views: 28
    Last edited:
    I modified the min/max SoC speeds (CPU min to 268 MHz and max to 2.5 GHz, GPU max to 600 MHz) in cpufreq_limit.h and edited msm8974/msm8974pro freqs and voltages with the *.dtsi files. I compiled the kernel, packed it into boot.img and flashed it.

I can tell the kernel swap was successful with "uname -r" but I see zero changes in the clock freq readouts. Are clock/volt settings controlled elsewhere? 🤔

Edit: I merged some changes from here

I seem to have voltage controls now. Will test it out and try to remember to keep my promises.

Edit2: I noticed my phone started cooling off as soon as I tweaked the voltages. Could be placebo. I have no way of properly verifying if the hack is working properly. Yeah it works, undervolting too much crashes my OS. :p
    Edit3: Made a separate thread so I'm not taking up too much discussion space

Attachments

• Kernel_Adiutor.png
      Kernel_Adiutor.png
      123.8 KB · Views: 32
    • _Kernel_Adiutor.png
      _Kernel_Adiutor.png
      112.5 KB · Views: 29
    Last edited:

Garry58

Nov 13, 2020
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Any way to change Charging sound on 18.1 (without messing with system files)? There was an option on 17.1, but 18.1 simply has a toggle.

Low battery is set to Default notification sound for some reason, which is quite silly. Found that you can change it just like any other app by holding the notification and going to App info. Or by going to Apps - Show system - System UI - Notifications - Battery and changing it manually (in that case, you need the sound in your Notifications folder).

So I was thinking if charging sound is tied to some app as well, though I'm assuming it's unlikely, since it's not a notification.

Hamza Shahbaz

• Jun 12, 2019
    Bahawalpur
    Re: S5 kltekdi Charging Issues - Battery % After Reboot

That's good because it rules out hardware, USB cable or power adapter issues.

In TWRP with the power adapter, if you charge to 100% + leave it connected for an additional 30 minutes then disconnect & reboot to system, what battery % does it show on the status bar?

After connecting the S5 to the power adapter for at least 2 hours & rebooting to system what battery % does it show on the status bar?

I am asking these battery % after reboot because of what I posted here in the S5 16.0 thread but still remains valid: S5 Battery Charging - Fake 100%.

Does a third-party app like the excellent GSam Battery Monitor, for example, show your S5 charging & mA current like the attached screenshot I just took of my S5 G900M klte build 2021-05-02 connected to a power adapter with a 5V @ 2A output?

See GSam user guide which is a little bit dated but informative.

Did you install or OTA updated the most recent build 2021-05-07 @ the present for your S5 kltekdi & test charging again?
    Well to be honest…I think the phone is eating too much battery power ….I have a month old RAV power battery in this phone and it gives me nearly 24 hours on the stock touchwiz software on a single charge…When it is fully charged on twrp and rebooted to the OS the battery would stay 100% for like 3 minutes and it will go down to 99%…. at the same time if the system is rebooted back to twrp without connecting charger it shows 100%…….After connecting the Power adapter to S5 for like 2 hours there is a considerable difference in battery % for instance if the battery is at 35% before charging it will go straight upto around 67% after 2 hours and a reboot…..Yes i upgraded to the latest OTA but the results are the same….i will test out Gsam battery monitor and will let you know….Thanks

Update: I tested Gsam Battery Monitor its showing the same percentage of battery as the OS itself and doesn’t show any activity when charger is connected or disconnected

There are the image attachments of s5’s screen and the adapter i am using….This adapter is perfectly fine as it is charging my ipad perfectly and the shown motorola device as well….

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 47
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 45
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 45
    Last edited:

ludwig83

May 9, 2018
    Hey Guys! As mentioned before I opened an Issue on gitlab because of the "No Sim Card" thing on my klteactivexx

I think this week I found out were the problem is from...when I got to Setting -> Network and Internet -> Mobile Network -> Advanced -> and there I disable "Automatically select network" --> My device gets stuck into "choose Network" by searching for connected Networks :/

How does your Klte behave when you try to find other Phone Providers? Maybe Mr @haggertk could try it out with his klteactivexx. I would really apprechiate his help. Or someone else has a good idea ...maybe a workaround .....

kurtn

• Jan 28, 2017
    Small town in Bavaria
    Hey Guys! As mentioned before I opened an Issue on gitlab because of the "No Sim Card" thing on my klteactivexx

I think this week I found out were the problem is from...when I got to Setting -> Network and Internet -> Mobile Network -> Advanced -> and there I disable "Automatically select network" --> My device gets stuck into "choose Network" by searching for connected Networks :/

How does your Klte behave when you try to find other Phone Providers? Maybe Mr @haggertk could try it out with his klteactivexx. I would really apprechiate his help. Or someone else has a good idea ...maybe a workaround .....
    It needed a really long time and a second approach but now I see alternative providers. Next I got a timeout of settings app.

Reactions: ludwig83

ludwig83

May 9, 2018
    It needed a really long time and a second approach but now I see alternative providers. Next I got a timeout of settings app.
    Thx for trying....you are right! In the 3rd attempt it works on my device too...

aaaaaaarrr ....so im back were I started ...

But I choosed Magenta now manually. Maybe this has an influence to my "No Sim Card" problem...we will see :)

Edit 2021-05-08 21:00

Error occurred in in the evening again when I was in the garage :/ ... so I set back the provider network to automatic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210508-111231_Settings.png
      Screenshot_20210508-111231_Settings.png
      50.3 KB · Views: 28
    Last edited:

Eadn33

Jul 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Upgraded my G-900V from 17.1 to 18.1 using the 2021-04-25 build with lineage recovery and a "super-clean" install with MindtheGapps. All went well with one oddity that was resolved. On first boot, the setup wizard hung on "no service provider". Eventually skipped and finished google and lineage setup and found had no mobile data. Thinking this was likely the common (for 900V) corrupted EFS partition, I went back, installed TWRP and restored EFS partition and rebooted only to still have no service.

Then looked a little closer and found mobile data was off in settings. Turned on and everything worked.

In case others face similar, one other thing is recently on the 2021-05-02 build, pressed power button to find display showing time and blue background on partial screen and could not unlock/use phone. This triggered memory from previous issue a year or two ago, so I found a magnet and moved it around until triggered the Smart Cover sensor and the phone unlocked. Went into settings, disabled Smart Cover and should be good now.

Finally, purely cosmetic, but I note that the sideways arrow in the volume settings that allows for expanding to see all the volume settings appears to be backwards for expanding and then collapsing those volume sliders.

Overall, working great and very happy with my phone running 18.1. Thanks

haggertk

My device doesn’t charge with the default lineage OS kernel i resolved this issue in 17.1 by a custom kernel …But now in 18.1 no custom kernel is available at the moment….My device is Samsung Galaxy S5 (SC-04F) docomo edition….Rom Build is (lineage 18.1 2020/04/30 nightly kltekdi-). Any help would really be appreciated…Also please help out with a workaround for Heart Rate Sensor since it doesn’t work by default….Thanks
    I've been asking people to test a bootimage for ages and they always flake out and disappear. I'll DM you a link to a boot image.

cexcells

May 11, 2012
    I have 2 klte S5s. One at anytime is for daily use, the other is used for testing I dirty flashed the official release of lineage 18.1 over haggerts unofficial with just clearing dalvik/etc and cache. No magisk or encryption. All working fine so far.
    Upgraded my G-900V from 17.1 to 18.1 using the 2021-04-25 build with lineage recovery and a "super-clean" install with MindtheGapps. All went well with one oddity that was resolved. On first boot, the setup wizard hung on "no service provider". Eventually skipped and finished google and lineage setup and found had no mobile data. Thinking this was likely the common (for 900V) corrupted EFS partition, I went back, installed TWRP and restored EFS partition and rebooted only to still have no service.

Then looked a little closer and found mobile data was off in settings. Turned on and everything worked.

In case others face similar, one other thing is recently on the 2021-05-02 build, pressed power button to find display showing time and blue background on partial screen and could not unlock/use phone. This triggered memory from previous issue a year or two ago, so I found a magnet and moved it around until triggered the Smart Cover sensor and the phone unlocked. Went into settings, disabled Smart Cover and should be good now.

Finally, purely cosmetic, but I note that the sideways arrow in the volume settings that allows for expanding to see all the volume settings appears to be backwards for expanding and then collapsing those volume sliders.

Overall, working great and very happy with my phone running 18.1. Thanks
    I want to disable Smart Cover too but can't find it in settings. Searching settings for it doesn't show it. Where is it located?

dynamo1950

Jan 8, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have 2 klte S5s. One at anytime is for daily use, the other is used for testing I dirty flashed the official release of lineage 18.1 over haggerts unofficial with just clearing dalvik/etc and cache. No magisk or encryption. All working fine so far.

I want to disable Smart Cover too but can't find it in settings. Searching settings for it doesn't show it. Where is it located?

Settings -> Connected Devices (Bluetooth, NFC) -> Connection Preferences (Bluetooth, NFC) -> Smart Cover (Control your accessory behaviour) -> Off

Enjoy....

Last edited:

cexcells

May 11, 2012
    Settings -> Connected Devices (Bluetooth, NFC) -> Connection Preferences (Bluetooth, NFC) -> Smart Cover (Control your accessory behaviour) -> Off

I found it by a google search at https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/cadqu7
    Enjoy....
    Ha, after doing my upgrade with wiping cache and dalvik the smart cover setting wasn't there. I moved my phone over the magnet in my tablet's cover and smart cover detected notification showed. Then the setting to disable it appeared in that location.

Hmm, never used these, i used the "carry with me" function instead. Just checked this on 17.1. You need to unlock twice and then its unlocked as long as you have it in your pocket and move. Its a nice feature and useful if you walk with the dog or in public transport. Same thing with 18.1 for the Pixel2. There this feature has been gone either

S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_2021-05-09_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      Updater_2021-05-09_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      320.7 KB · Views: 81
    • Camera_Snap_vs_Snap_Update_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      Camera_Snap_vs_Snap_Update_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      6.4 MB · Views: 81
    • Settings_Buttons_Kill_App_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      Settings_Buttons_Kill_App_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
      131.8 KB · Views: 82
    Last edited:

Paul_Leger

May 10, 2021
    Weird that you are getting caught by that, I explicitly tested the upgrade path. Try deleting the lockscreen files from recovery (/data/system/gatekeeper.*.key, /data/system/locksettings.db*). If that doesn't work, wipe data.
    First of all: Thanks for keeping my phone alive and vivid.

What I use:
    SM-G900F with LineageOS 17.1 and LineageOS Recovery (17.1).

What happened:
    I was upgrading from 17.1 to 18.1 as described in the lineage wiki (https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/klte/upgrade) using the Lineage recovery. After rebooting and entering my the pin the screen shut off and back was I at a locked screen. I sideloaded the remov_lock.zip (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-tested-remove-lockscreen-password-pin.3692411/) but it showed no effect. Then I flashed TWRP, rebooted into recovery and deleted three files ( /data/system/locksettings.db* ) via TWRP file manager (accessible under "advanced" options). I rebooted the phone. The lock was lifted and I set a screen lock afterwards again.

Big Thanks to @curiousrom who picked me up at the lineage subreddit.

Last edited:

VBBoston

Nov 9, 2015
    Hi!
    My device is not recognized by PC, tried on 2 computers, different cables, USB debugging enabled, etc. Latest Samsung USB drivers installed. Not even "unknown" device shown on PC device manager. It worked fine before. What can be the problem?

Top Liked Posts

That happens when you pass a magnet near your phone and it thinks you have a smart cover accessory.

Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Smart Cover > Off
      Disabling Smart Cover - FlipFlap

To my surprise: I find a screenshot of this 'blue screen of death' in my gallery.

That happens when you pass a magnet near your phone and it thinks you have a smart cover accessory.

That's right.

Might as well recycle some screenshots made for an old S5 LineageOS 16.0 thread.

FYI an other method: if not rooted you can use the adb command method described in How to disable any pre-installed system app bloatware on Android without root using adb.

These tweaks will survive updates.

Just go to > Settings > Apps & notifications > 3-dots > Show System > app's name > Advanced > scroll all the way to the bottom to get the package name to be used in adb. In this case it is FlipFlap:

Windows Command Prompt:

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 org.lineageos.flipflap

Mac/Linux Terminal:

./adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 org.lineageos.flipflap
      SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
      It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
      Follow-up on corrupted external extfat sdcard

Test case :

1/ spotify updates its cached files located on the external extfat sdcard
      2/ spurious reboot occurs
      3/ upon reboot, the scdard is corrupted and can't be mounted

Diagnosis:

Checking manually the sdcard using fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files, which are preventing the card to be mounted : see attached log

- fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files but is enable to fix anything, whatever the option

- fsck.exfat Lineageos version 1.04 (checked in by haggertk)

- fsck.exfat current version 1.12

Although this makes no difference because of pending issue #117 : Can't repair corrupted exfat

- Inserting the sdcard into a PC, Windows detects the issue and offers to "scan and repair" the drive. Once the sdcard is "fixed", it can be used in the PC without problems. Although, a Windows "scanned and repaired" sdcard will still appear as corrupted in Lineageos and can't be mounted.

Options:

1/ On another device that can mount the sdcard, delete manually the previously identified corrupted files ; it's usually sufficient to fix the issue.

2/ Otherwise, backup the sdcard content, reformat (also restore the volumeid), then restore the backup.

Other thoughts :

Under stress writing to the sdcard, lineageos can reboot unexpectedly. Since this is not an isolated incident, this should definitely be investigated, since as a result the sdcard will be more likely corrupted and the actual tools don't allow to repair it.

I am not sure how to recover the log files preceding the reboot, once the device as rebooted. if someone can instruct me how to do so, I'll post them the next time this happens, which is unfortunately too frequently.
      S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-06-06

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-30 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-06-06: everything went smoothly.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍
      It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

I have been testing @haggertk sdfat patch for the past 24h and I haven't experienced any spurious reboot nor sdcard corruption so far, whereas normally my phone would reboot several times a day and the sdcard card would generally end up being corrupted.

2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
      Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
      The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
      BuildModel
      klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
      klteactivexxSM-G870F
      klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
      kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
      kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
      klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
      kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
      kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
      kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
      Installation Instructions:
      Reporting Bugs:
      Compatibility Notes:
      • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
      • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
      • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
      • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
      • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
      Donations:
      • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
      SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.

S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Galaxy S5 LineageOS 17.1 Upgrade to 18.1 + OTA Update Success Using TWRP

I upgraded my S5 7 days ago and did not lose any apps & settings: Galaxy S5 G900M LineageOS 17.1 klte build 2021-04-18 + Open GApps Pico + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 >>> LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-04-25 + MindTheGapps for Android 11 ARM + Magisk 22.1 which I just OTA updated to LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

The only major issue is the unusable stock Camera as described here: LineageOS Snap Camera U.I. Not Showing the Full Image Preview. Edit: Good news, following a conversation with a dev this commit was merged & will be included in next build: Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9.

Note: three S5 users so far AFAIK, including @Massedil in his post here, reported not being able to unlock their devices after upgrading to 18.1 from 17.1. I always disable screen & SIM locks before an update or upgrade just to remove variables that may go wrong.

Old versions of TWRP may fail to apply OTA updates. See How To Update TWRP Using TWRP Itself.

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules.

Several S5 klte variants users reported failed to boot on 17.1 with a modem older than Android 6.0.1. This may also cause No Network or No Service issues on 17.1 & 18.1. See S5 Odin Flashable Modem & Bootloader.

Also before a major upgrade to a higher version but not before regular updates: Magisk > Uninstall > Restore images to preserve my Magisk settings & modules while disabling Magisk (screenshot).

Re-flashed Magisk-22.1.zip after successful boot to System after the upgrade.

MindTheGapps is similar to Open GApps Nano. See Open GApps Package Comparison.

Searching apps with Google in /System:
      • Android Accessibility Suite
      • Android Auto
      • Android Setup
      • Data Transfer Tool
      • Exchange Services
      • Google (search app)
      • Google Calendar Sync
      • Google Contacts Sync
      • Google Partner Setup
      • Google Play services
      • Google Play Store
      • Google Services Framework
      • Google Text-to-speech Engine
      • Market Feedback Agent
      • Markup
      You can also download the MindTheGapps package, unzip & search it with apk.

You can disable the Google's search app with it's optional personal data hungry Assistant in it's app info. Which I did because it has too many running services for my taste.

AFAIK from the available Open GApps for Android 11 test builds 20210130 @ the present, only the Pico package was reported as issue free in the Open GApps support thread on XDA: GAPPS DAILY Open GApps for Android; All Android Versions & Devices.

I have been an Open GApps Pico user for years on several devices but since there are no official releases for Android 11 @ the present, I decided to test MindTheGapps because that's what LineageOS links to @ the present in https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html and wanted to post about it.

See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ > {device} > Upgrade to a higher version of LineageOS.

After a full TWRP backup (including the important EFS partition but except the Cache) & triggering a fresh Google Backup* (Settings > System > Advanced > Backup in 17.1), I did the same steps as described in that upgrade guide except that I use TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 so sideload must be started manually on the S5 before sideloading from the computer: TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideload > Swipe to Start Sideload.

Or simply copy the files to the device & flash from there using TWRP.

To make the TWRP backup smaller I use SD Maid > AppCleaner to clear the cache of all apps & make sure to delete all downloaded updates in Updater by long pressing them or if rooted move them from /data/lineageos_updates/ to external or internal SD Card.

In case of failing to boot you can restore only the System, Data & Boot (boot.img is actually the kernel) partions from the full backup.

Obviously there are other backup methods but that's the one I use since a couple of years & restored them both successfully.

On some devices, some versions of TWRP do not work well with LineageOS 18.1 and the Lineage recovery is recommended in those cases but on my S5 klte, TWRP wins hands-down with it's backup/restore feature, File Manager, installing both manually or via sideload & applying successfully OTA updates so I don't see any reasons for switching to the Lineage recovery @ the present.

Tip: to make the S5 18.1 U.I. faster & more fluid when opening the apps drawer, scrolling through home pages, opening Settings, etc: > Settings > Accessibility > toggle on Remove animations.

Try it before & after as fast as you can to see the difference.

*: Warning for people using a pattern lock screen see this bug report: Google cloud backup cannot be restored when using a 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6 lock screen pattern

Follow-up on corrupted external extfat sdcard

Test case :

1/ spotify updates its cached files located on the external extfat sdcard
      2/ spurious reboot occurs
      3/ upon reboot, the scdard is corrupted and can't be mounted

Diagnosis:

Checking manually the sdcard using fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files, which are preventing the card to be mounted : see attached log

- fsck.exfat identifies the corrupted files but is enable to fix anything, whatever the option

- fsck.exfat Lineageos version 1.04 (checked in by haggertk)

- fsck.exfat current version 1.12

Although this makes no difference because of pending issue #117 : Can't repair corrupted exfat

- Inserting the sdcard into a PC, Windows detects the issue and offers to "scan and repair" the drive. Once the sdcard is "fixed", it can be used in the PC without problems. Although, a Windows "scanned and repaired" sdcard will still appear as corrupted in Lineageos and can't be mounted.

Options:

1/ On another device that can mount the sdcard, delete manually the previously identified corrupted files ; it's usually sufficient to fix the issue.

2/ Otherwise, backup the sdcard content, reformat (also restore the volumeid), then restore the backup.

Other thoughts :

Under stress writing to the sdcard, lineageos can reboot unexpectedly. Since this is not an isolated incident, this should definitely be investigated, since as a result the sdcard will be more likely corrupted and the actual tools don't allow to repair it.

I am not sure how to recover the log files preceding the reboot, once the device as rebooted. if someone can instruct me how to do so, I'll post them the next time this happens, which is unfortunately too frequently.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone