[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

haggertk

2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
BuildModel
klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
klteactivexxSM-G870F
klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
Installation Instructions:
Reporting Bugs:
Compatibility Notes:
  • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
  • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
  • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
  • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
  • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
Donations:
  • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.

Last edited:

haggertk

Hi,

Thanks for maintaining our phone !

I just upgraded to LineageOS 18.1 as I explained in this post and got stuck in the lock screen :

Do you know how can I solve this ?

Logcat :
https://paste.chapril.org/?86ff7c1c0ddf2642#5BDBqxDBmYJKjheUpjDSvhBvDL3EGv4ALYQaECGPwkNq
Weird that you are getting caught by that, I explicitly tested the upgrade path. Try deleting the lockscreen files from recovery (/data/system/gatekeeper.*.key, /data/system/locksettings.db*). If that doesn't work, wipe data.

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris
Weird that you are getting caught by that, I explicitly tested the upgrade path. Try deleting the lockscreen files from recovery (/data/system/gatekeeper.*.key, /data/system/locksettings.db*). If that doesn't work, wipe data.

I don't have any .key file, maybe it is the problem ?

Code:
/data/system # find /data/system -name '*key*'
/data/system/sensor_service/hmac_key
/data/system/dropbox/keymaster@1619333958508.dat
/data/system/dropbox/keymaster@1619293489205.dat
/data/system/dropbox/keymaster@1619125449510.dat
/data/system/dropbox/keymaster@1619191466751.dat
/data/system/dropbox/keymaster@1619165118776.dat
/data/system/dropbox/keymaster@1619259449561.dat
/data/system/recoverablekeystore.db

If it can helps :

Code:
sqlite3 locksettings.db
sqlite> SELECT * FROM locksettings ;
1|lockscreen.disabled|0|0
2|migrated|0|true
3|migrated_user_specific|0|true
4|lockscreen.password_type_alternate|0|0
5|migrated_biometric_weak|0|true
6|migrated_lockscreen_disabled|0|true
7|migrated_frp|0|1
8|lockscreen.enabledtrustagents|0|org.lineageos.profiles/.ProfilesTrustAgent
9|lockscreen.password_type|0|NNNNNN
11|sp-handle|0|NNNNNN
12|lockscreen.profilechallenge|0|1
13|lockscreen.passwordhistory|0|
14|lockscreen.istrustusuallymanaged|0|1
15|lockscreen.power_button_instantly_locks|0|0
22|lock_screen_owner_info_enabled|0|1
23|lock_screen_owner_info|0|XXXXXXXXXX

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris
Thanks !

I just deleted /data/system/locksettings.db and I can now access the phone.

I have kept a copy of this database before removing, if you need it for investigation I can send it to you.

Thanks again !

ludwig83

May 9, 2018
Hey guys! I'm now on 18.1 (of course a clean flash) ....great ROM so far but I have the same problem as on 17.1 ...whenever I lose GSM it does not come back ...I receive the message that SIM Card is missing - service not available (Keine SIM-Karte - Dienst nicht verfügbar) ...someone else with a klteactivexx here with the same experience? Never had a problem with Lineage 16.0 ...hope for someone who can confirm my problem...

zimral.xda

2okPze5.png

Donations:
  • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.

Many THX for givin' the good old S5 a continued life again. Will look for food/money for the local animal shelter, our cat comes from there :)

Reactions: jmh2002

bersem

Jan 19, 2014
@haggertk thank you for your amazing work !! One question: Why arent navigation gestures enabled by default ?? Have to edit build.prop file to get it..

Regards !

haggertk

@haggertk thank you for your amazing work !! One question: Why arent navigation gestures enabled by default ?? Have to edit build.prop file to get it..

Regards !
The Galaxy S5 has physical keys, in particular, the home key. Since this key cannot be "hidden", our standards are that key disabler must not be able to be activated through normal user interaction.

Tenaya43

Dec 20, 2012
First, I want to thank Haggertk and LineageOS for keeping the Galaxy S5 alive.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t know as much as I’d like about what’s behind the Android curtain. I’m especially ignorant about the Android file system, but I’m learning.

We’re in the process of switching from older Galaxy S2 Skyrockets (we keep our phones waaaaay too long) to SM‑G900Ts (newer, but still pretty old). For the past month or so, all three of our SM-G900Ts have been running unofficial 18.1 (20201225) with NikGapps Pico. This morning, I downloaded LineageOS 18.1-20210425-nightly-klte-signed and installed it on two of our SM-G900Ts via TWRP (which I had previously installed via ODIN).

We have two problems we didn’t have before:
  1. In 20210425, the 18.1 camera app doesn’t work. It tries to open (quick flash of a black background), then immediately stops. Trying the camera app a second time, it again tries to start, again immediately stops and then throws up a "camera keeps stopping" message. If I tap OK, the message closes and the phone continues to work normally. The camera app in unofficial 18.1 works fine (one of our three phones hasn’t been updated yet). The problem doesn’t seem to be hardware: Open Camera works fine on 20210425 after being side loaded.
  2. The Play Store app (installed by either Open Gapps or NikGapps) categorically refuses to install apps on 20210425, complaining there’s not enough space. The app offers to delete other apps to make space, but since there aren’t any (yet), it can’t. The problem doesn’t seem to be related to the size of the app: I tried to install a really small app (APK = 3.3KB) and that failed, too. The problem also doesn’t seem to be related to user partition space, I side loaded DiskInfo and it says Data/data/user/0 has 10.9GB free. Further, I can side load apps via APK: The not-small Open Camera, for example. The Play Store installs/installed apps just fine on 20201225.
Another quirk is that the phone s still running 20201225 refuses to run Google Maps (stops immediately after trying to start).

Yet another clue may be the fact that I haven’t been able to recreate whatever combination of OS version, GAPPS version and procedure I used to create the phone that’s still running 20210425. Perhaps I did something differently this time.

Does anyone else have these problems? If so, are there fixes? Did I do something wrong? Is there something I need to do differently?

Thank you in advance,

Tenaya

Reactions: Andresine
First, I want to thank Haggertk and LineageOS for keeping the Galaxy S5 alive.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t know as much as I’d like about what’s behind the Android curtain. I’m especially ignorant about the Android file system, but I’m learning.

We’re in the process of switching from older Galaxy S2 Skyrockets (we keep our phones waaaaay too long) to SM‑G900Ts (newer, but still pretty old). For the past month or so, all three of our SM-G900Ts have been running unofficial 18.1 (20201225) with NikGapps Pico. This morning, I downloaded LineageOS 18.1-20210425-nightly-klte-signed and installed it on two of our SM-G900Ts via TWRP (which I had previously installed via ODIN).

We have two problems we didn’t have before:
  1. In 20210425, the 18.1 camera app doesn’t work. It tries to open (quick flash of a black background), then immediately stops. Trying the camera app a second time, it again tries to start, again immediately stops and then throws up a "camera keeps stopping" message. If I tap OK, the message closes and the phone continues to work normally. The camera app in unofficial 18.1 works fine (one of our three phones hasn’t been updated yet). The problem doesn’t seem to be hardware: Open Camera works fine on 20210425 after being side loaded.
  2. The Play Store app (installed by either Open Gapps or NikGapps) categorically refuses to install apps on 20210425, complaining there’s not enough space. The app offers to delete other apps to make space, but since there aren’t any (yet), it can’t. The problem doesn’t seem to be related to the size of the app: I tried to install a really small app (APK = 3.3KB) and that failed, too. The problem also doesn’t seem to be related to user partition space, I side loaded DiskInfo and it says Data/data/user/0 has 10.9GB free. Further, I can side load apps via APK: The not-small Open Camera, for example. The Play Store installs/installed apps just fine on 20201225.
Another quirk is that the phone s still running 20201225 refuses to run Google Maps (stops immediately after trying to start).

Yet another clue may be the fact that I haven’t been able to recreate whatever combination of OS version, GAPPS version and procedure I used to create the phone that’s still running 20210425. Perhaps I did something differently this time.

Does anyone else have these problems? If so, are there fixes? Did I do something wrong? Is there something I need to do differently?

Thank you in advance,

Tenaya
you somehow have a media storage issue they changed the permission set with the way apks communicate with "sdcard" internal storage for less vulnerabilities at the user app level....and stopped external sd support....we had a legacy media patch for old devices....now heres the catch if you flashed with the external sdcard in with older TWRP it thinks that external is internal SD then when u boot internal is blank external don't work and the play store thinks you used up....also any music app doesn't see media... this happened to me... what i did was cracked back and format data and wiped all partitions took external out wiped everything in twrp...went to download mode in odin reflashed full four file G900TUVU1GQC2_G900TTMB1GQC2_G900TUVU1GQC2_HOME.tar.md5
somethimes its nice to boot Android 6.01 then look in the newer threads and see how people complain so much about this and that and remember The TOUCHWIZ days....lol....

Then flashed new 18.1 clean using the lineage recovery..... so that means I had to flash twrp once in odin to install the new recovery file to install the official build because I dont like hemidall
... with lineage gapps https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=322935

Reactions: Andresine

Andresine

Mar 2, 2017
Google maps only works in incognito mode, in normal mode does not works . I hope it will be fixed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EOL

What a great run!
    My Samsung S5 display suddenly switches like in the picture and I can't unlock it. This is a bug or what?View attachment 6073928
    That's the smart cover feature. You probably had a magnet on the wrong position. Force a restart and disable smart cover in connected devices.
    I absolutely plan to install LineageOS on different devices in the future. 🤓 Sounds like I should archive them into a folder. 📁 I installed LineageOS on my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F, and intend to do the same on my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8. 🍁 Would reusing the files cause issues, especially at the part where you have to TAR the recovery?
    ..W8 and ..F are both klte. Files can be reused.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    Official LineageOS 18.1 Updates Now Monthly!

Bad news & good news. LineageOS in the recent past supported only 2 Android versions @ the same time because of infrastructure, LineageOS automated builder, servers & volunteer staff limitations and with the current testing and eventual launch of LOS 20.0 (no ETA questions please), all 18.1 supported devices should be on the chopping block.

But this time the devs made an exception. This LineageOS Gerrit Code Review change removed 89 devices from the weekly build roster Drop 18.1 devices:

if maintainers are still active, their devices can be re-added as monthly.
    And this change added 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices to the new monthly build roster: "I am alive, but very badly burned". Note that the S5 klte* family is on that lineage-build-targets list! :cool: 👍

Several of those legacy devices like the klte* cannot be promoted to official 19.1 or 20 as explained in LineageOS Changelog 26 - Tailored Twelve, Audacious Automotive, Neat Networking, Devoted Developers > Let’s talk about legacy devices chapter.

You can see the current LineageOS build roster in the hudson/lineage-build-targets on GitHub. At the present there are 105 devices supported with LineageOS 19.1 weekly builds & + the 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices.

An amazing achievement for a volunteer-based organization. ↑ (ツ)

I'm grateful for those LineageOS 18.1 devices that will get about 1 years' worth of monthly Android security bumps & some other changes. ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍