[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

kurtn

yesterday i gave my phone my wife. she put it in her pocket - i did'nt know, how to place it on my bike. when she gave it back to me, i had the same screen and i reset it by removing the battery. i guess that in her pocket the home button was constantly pressed.
Thanks to haggertk for his perfect 18.1 version. i'll spend some money to our local food bank as haggertk supposed to do.
No, there is a magnet in her pocket. It triggered the plip flap smart cover feature.

Reactions: ludwig83
The cover has a little magnet inside, that's how S5 detects it. Placing magnet on top of the phone (just above recent app button) makes it think the "smart cover" is closed. I'm assuming that's how it happened.
Yes, I accidentally put the phone next to a fridge magnet, that way I found out it works like this. I guess @jenssa & @Lakeerie had some magnet close to the phone as well.

Reactions: curiousrom

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
When I updated the latest build (05.16.2021) the phone didn't boot and was sent into los recovery. It was unable to boot whatever I did, I even restored backup in twrp to no avail. I had to restore everything from scratch. Did anyone else have this problem?

Failed Update 2021-05-16 & Failed TWRP Restore

When I updated the latest build (05.16.2021) the phone didn't boot and was sent into los recovery. It was unable to boot whatever I did, I even restored backup in twrp to no avail...

You don't provide any info like device model, recovery version, exact names of the files you flashed & how, if you flashed anything else besides LineageOS and a GApps package (name?), logs, etc. which makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

See Failed OTA Update BiTGApps - Script: Capture Bootloop Logcat

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules. That may explain why you failed to restore a backup with TWRP.

In TWRP you need to restore only System, Data & Boot partitions. You can restore other partitions when trying to solve other specific issues.

...Did anyone else have this problem?

No. See my post 1 page back: S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-16 - Lost Some Shortcuts

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
Failed Update 2021-05-16 & Failed TWRP Restore

You don't provide any info like device model, recovery version, exact names of the files you flashed & how, if you flashed anything else besides LineageOS and a GApps package (name?), logs, etc. which makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.

See Failed OTA Update BiTGApps - Script: Capture Bootloop Logcat

BTW don't install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may causes bootloop because LineageOS is enforcing priv-app whitelisting rules. That may explain why you failed to restore a backup with TWRP.

In TWRP you need to restore only System, Data & Boot partitions. You can restore other partitions when trying to solve other specific issues.

No. See my post 1 page back: S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-16 - Lost Some Shortcuts

I'm sorry, I just wanted to hear if anybody else were experiencing the same problem, but I appreciate your offer to hjelp. The phone is a SM-G900F. I had installed Los 18.1, originally 20210425 which I had updated to 20210509 in the updater on the phone. There was no problem then, so I figured there might be something wrong with the 20210516 build. I had installed twrp 3.5.2_9-0 and MndTheGapps 11.0.0 arm-20211020_134931 and Magisk -v22.0. It worked OK, although it was rather slow. For some reason the Los recovery came back when the update failed, but I used that to factory reset the device.

Re: Failed Update 2021-05-16 & Failed TWRP Restore

...I had installed twrp 3.5.2_9-0...For some reason the Los recovery came back when the update failed...

That's extra weird.

In Updater's Preferences did you select Update recovery after installing TWRP as seen in the screenshot?

If so, that won't work because it's for Lineage recovery.

How did you install TWRP?

BTW thanks for the additional troubleshooting info. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_Preferences_TWRP_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_Preferences_TWRP_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
May 17, 2021
Registered to Say Thanks!

Thanks to @haggertk and all the Devs / contributors for the amazing work on the S5.
It has kept alive and usable, my phone, my wife’s phone, and even my mums, so has saved us a fortune from as far back as CyanogenMod and more recently LOS 16.1, and now LOS 18.1.

We have and will continue to "Pay it Forward" !!

Note: I'll summarise my own experiences with 18.1 in a separate post, in case it helps others.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021
LOS 18.1 Clean Install Success

This is entirely as a result of the huge amount of info / tips shared on this site by others, so thanks to them.
I was guided most by "S5 LineageOS Super Clean Install" by @curiousrom. Kudos.

1) Prep.
I have a SM-G900F (klte) and started with TWRP recovery and LOS 16.1.
I used:
TWRP, twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte
to do:
a wipe of System, Cache, Dalvik / Art Cache.
a FORMAT of Data (and of course Internal Storage).
a manual deletion from External SD of any Android-related folders (overkill maybe?).
then into Download Mode.

2) Flashed Stock.
Noticed the updated Samsung Stock ROM, dated November-2020 (yep, only last year).
Used:
Odin3 v3.14.1
G900FXXU1CTK2_G900FOXA1CTK2_BTU.zip (Stock from Sams Mobile; the name is perhaps confusing)
Which resulted in:
CTK2 BootLoader
CQK3 Modem (Baseband)
Bounced it a couple of times.
Comms were good, including LTE / 4G.
Note: I use a UK Cell provider called Lebara, which runs on the Vodafone network.

3) Flashed LOS 18.1.
Waited a couple of weeks to see how the new builds were received, and opted for the third Build.
Used:
TWRP (as above)
lineage-18.1-20210509-nightly-klte-signed.zip
MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103

Success, and a VERY stable build.
No hiccups, no problems, not even any glitches; a really EXCELLENT ROM.

4) Performance & Apps
The phone loses roughly 0.5% battery per hour overnight (which is GREAT), and easily lasts 2 days between charges (for me, and my typical usage).

For Performance I used the:
--> Settings, Accessibility, Remove animations = On
Thanks @curiousrom for your "Remove Animations UI Speedup Test - Taming Google & Apps" post.

I also reviewed:
--> Dev Options, Running Services
But all looked good.
Plus,
--> Dev Options, Apps, Background Check;
and disabled FlipFlap & Exchange Services, as I use neither.

And I must say, it definitely feels quicker / smoother than LOS16.1, which is amazing.

Question) In LOS16.1 I could review apps that "start at boot" & "run in background", but now, apart from the above, I can't see similar detail anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is this how it’s now done in LOS18.1?

5) Security / Root
I DO NOT need Magisk.

My UK Pub apps complain about a Custom ROM, but carry on regardless (Spoons & Hungry Horse).
My UK Bank app works a treat (Nationwide).
Netflix likewise (surprisingly)
And even NFC & Google Play work without a hitch!!

6) FYI
a) I found the option to disable SmartCover was not visible until AFTER I had set a Screen Lock Pattern:
--> Settings, Connected Devices (Bluetooth, NFC), Connection Preferences, Smart Cover = Off

b) I too miss the ScreenShot option from the Power button (Single Handed) like others have mentioned, but am getting used to the Power-&-Vol-Down Short-Press and Long-Press combos, or using it thru Task Switcher.

c) Unlike LOS16.1, I have had ZERO problems with the Phone using LTE/4G when out & about, passing thru Dead Zones / 3G-Only Zones, which is brilliant considering I could only use 2G/3G before, because it would fail to re-connect to 4G in LOS16.1 for me.
My Settings are:
--> Settings, Network and Internet, Mobile Network:
Roaming = Off (Don't expect this makes a difference for me).
Preferred Type = GSM/WCDMA/LTE
Auto Select Network = On
The APN settings in LOS18.1 appear to be the same as they were in the new Stock.
Essentially all as-is fresh out of the box; I didn't change a thing and it Works!

I wondered if this was simply down to improvements in LOS 18.1; or perhaps because of the new re-release / re-package of CQK3 Modem (Baseband) that came with the new Stock ROM, all but one of which were TimeStamped 26-Nov-2020 (aligned with the Package Production date perhaps?), except, the 2G modem.bin, which had retained its much older 14-Nov-2017 timestamp of the previous Stock ROM, which doesn't really add-up, as you'd expect them ALL to either:
carry the same (Package Date) TimeStamp for all files, or,
carry their own original dates which differ between the previous Stock ROM, @FitTomes package (Cheers), this new Stock Package.

Weird, but its working better than it ever has, so I'm more than happy!

Note: For me in the UK, the previous Stock ROM was: G900FXXU1CRH1_G900FOXA1CRH1_BTU.zip (Sams Mobile).

Thanks again to everyone's hard work and many contributions.
It IS much appreciated.

Last edited:

kurtn

jenssa

Dec 8, 2018
Oslo
Re: Failed Update 2021-05-16 & Failed TWRP Restore

That's extra weird.

In Updater's Preferences did you select Update recovery after installing TWRP as seen in the screenshot?

If so, that won't work because it's for Lineage recovery.

How did you install TWRP?

BTW thanks for the additional troubleshooting info. :cool: 👍
No, I did not select update recovery. My preferences are as shown in your screenshot. I have installed twrp in various ways, both by adb sideload in los recovery and by flashing it in Odin. I do not recall which method I used on this specific occasion. I now have a suspicion that somehow my factory wiping didn't wipe everything, even if I used los recovery. The reason is that I had installed MindtheGapps before the update, but now I decided to change into BitGapps because I thought it runs better on the phone, only that I think that MindtheGapps might perhaps still be there. (I'm not sure how to ascertain which package I have, though.)
Anyway, the phone now runs moderately Ok, except for some lagging. Magisk hides root from my banking apps and google pay, so I am happy. I'm only a bit hesitant to update los until I understand what went awry last time.

BTW: Thanks for your kind assistance. You really do not need to spend time on this problem, but if you have a suggestion I would, of course, appreciate it. It is fun to customize the phone, although I would prefer not to undo the whole set up right away.

No, I did not select update recovery. My preferences are as shown in your screenshot. I have installed twrp in various ways, both by adb sideload in los recovery and by flashing it in Odin. I do not recall which method I used on this specific occasion. I now have a suspicion that somehow my factory wiping didn't wipe everything, even if I used los recovery. The reason is that I had installed MindtheGapps before the update, but now I decided to change into BitGapps because I thought it runs better on the phone, only that I think that MindtheGapps might perhaps still be there. (I'm not sure how to ascertain which package I have, though.)
Anyway, the phone now runs moderately Ok, except for some lagging. Magisk hides root from my banking apps and google pay, so I am happy. I'm only a bit hesitant to update los until I understand what went awry last time.

BTW: Thanks for your kind assistance. You really do not need to spend time on this problem, but if you have a suggestion I would, of course, appreciate it. It is fun to customize the phone, although I would prefer not to undo the whole set up right away.
Just to make sure everything *Gapps related is gone, boot to TWRP, mount /system, go to to the 'addon.d' directory, then delete the Gapps survival script (something like 60-gapps.sh, might be named differently), then flash the latest LOS .zip, and after that the Gapps package you want to use now.

Now you should only have the Gapps of the package you flashed without unwanted remains of the one you used before, because flashing the LOS .zip will overwrite everything that's been there before, given that the survival script simply isn't there anymore.

Hope that helps.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
Wiping too thoroughly you might lose the device's Google certification. A restore of a TWRP backup might fix it, otherwise it's back to Touchwiz 6.0.1 and forth again.

Some issues of the beginning have already been fixed, like the black overlays in the camera app.
What still annoys me is that every app supporting Bluetooth produces a BT error message from time time, even if BT is not used by the app and switched off completely.
Since the last Magisk update device passes SafetyNet check again, but i didn't encounter problems before, not even on my Note 10.1 with a rom, where SELinux is set to permissive, with no way to pass the check.
But i didn't dare to reinstall the one of my two banking apps, which refused to work on both my rooted devices since about a year. Can it be that this one just checks for an unlocked bootloader and that's it?

Play Store Device Certification

Wiping too thoroughly you might lose the device's Google certification. A restore of a TWRP backup might fix it, otherwise it's back to Touchwiz 6.0.1 and forth again...

FWIW a few days ago did a clean unofficial LineageOS 14.1 install on a Galaxy S3 i9300 + Open GApps Pico: uncertified in Play Store. That's Format Data (not just a simple wipe) + advanced wipe of System & the caches in TWRP.

Rooted with Magisk, enabled MagiskHide in it's settings, rebooted: certified.

Otherwise one can try https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/ Note that it may take 1 day or 2 before it shows in Play store. An app may help you find that "Google Services Framework Android ID": https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Google Services Framework Android ID&c=apps

Thanks for the ROM. It runs great, however I have one question:
  • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
Any particular reason why this is the case? I need a POSIX filesystem not only because of the >4 GB limit of FAT32, but also because I need POSIX permissions on my SDCard. My setup on LOS 17 was perfect, now it's kind of lacking.
Also, exFAT caused data loss twice in a month for me (and then never broke again... because I stopped using it. I have backups, don't worry, but it was irritating anyways), while both F2FS and FAT32 are really stable.

Thanks for the ROM. It runs great, however I have one question:

Any particular reason why this is the case? I need a POSIX filesystem not only because of the >4 GB limit of FAT32, but also because I need POSIX permissions on my SDCard. My setup on LOS 17 was perfect, now it's kind of lacking.
Also, exFAT caused data loss twice in a month for me (and then never broke again... because I stopped using it. I have backups, don't worry, but it was irritating anyways), while both F2FS and FAT32 are really stable.
exFAT != FAT32

Where did I say it's the same? I even stated that FAT32 is stable for me and that it isn't the case for exFAT.
You wrote you need a filesystem that can handle files >4 GB. FAT can't do that, but exFAT can. You didn't say it's the same, right. Let me explain why I mentioned that:

exFAT (Microsoft) and f2fs (Samsung) are optimized for flash memory/sd-cards in terms of prolonging lifetime. That's why it is used on mobile devices. FAT32 is not, it's aimed at HDDs and when it was released, flash memory/sd-cards didn't even exist.

Using ext* on flash memory/sd-cards is *not* recommended, because a journaling filesystem (which ext4 is) is seriously lowering the lifespan of your card, because journals are constantly written to it and increase degradation of your card (read: sd-cards break much sooner and you don't want that).

POSIX has nothing to do with filesystems, it's a programming/command line interface standard. You probably mean UNIX permissions, like 0777 or 0644, etc..

What do you need that for on a sd-card?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    Official LineageOS 18.1 Updates Now Monthly!

Bad news & good news. LineageOS in the recent past supported only 2 Android versions @ the same time because of infrastructure, LineageOS automated builder, servers & volunteer staff limitations and with the current testing and eventual launch of LOS 20.0 (no ETA questions please), all 18.1 supported devices should be on the chopping block.

But this time the devs made an exception. This LineageOS Gerrit Code Review change removed 89 devices from the weekly build roster Drop 18.1 devices:

if maintainers are still active, their devices can be re-added as monthly.
    And this change added 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices to the new monthly build roster: "I am alive, but very badly burned". Note that the S5 klte* family is on that lineage-build-targets list! :cool: 👍

Several of those legacy devices like the klte* cannot be promoted to official 19.1 or 20 as explained in LineageOS Changelog 26 - Tailored Twelve, Audacious Automotive, Neat Networking, Devoted Developers > Let’s talk about legacy devices chapter.

You can see the current LineageOS build roster in the hudson/lineage-build-targets on GitHub. At the present there are 105 devices supported with LineageOS 19.1 weekly builds & + the 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices.

An amazing achievement for a volunteer-based organization. ↑ (ツ)

I'm grateful for those LineageOS 18.1 devices that will get about 1 years' worth of monthly Android security bumps & some other changes. ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍