[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

zimral.xda

What is the difference between lineage os recovery and twrp
TWRP is a "third party" product developed by the "Team Win Recovery Project". I am using both with no problems so far. i flashed TWRP with the help of the "ODIN" software. On another klte i flashed the LOS recovery with the freeware tool "Heimdall" as described in the LOS installation wiki. if you don't need the backup function, i recommend the LOS recovery. i can imagine, that a tool like the LOS recovery developed by a LOS developer will interact/coexist better with the LOS rom. Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: kurtn
I've hardly found this in an other forum after hours, it fixed my Bluetooth issue on crDroid 6.10 (Android Q) - I don't know if it works with this ROM:

Settings > About Phone > Device Name - type in an other device name and confirm it.
Well I've got some news. Not good unfortunately. I renamed the phone. It first appeared to be looking. Then after roughly 5-6 days there was the issue again. Rebooting the phone helped. For some reason l(haven't checked it though) think the device runs out of memory and then it kills Bluetooth.

Will report back if I know more. Other ideas maybe?

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
The last two posts deal with lack of resources. I think having "only" 2GB of RAM is the biggest issue. My Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 with Los17 still operates considerably smoother, with 3GB of RAM, but with a slightly slower Snapdragon 800 and higher screen res.
Even faster is the Lenovo tablet i'm typing on, with one of the cheapest Octocore SoCs(MediaTek P22, these are even used in smartwatches) and only but seemingly still sufficient 3GB Ram.

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
On the subject of the Samsung Galaxy S5 only having 2GB of RAM and therefore a 'lack of resources' - I totally agree.

Although I have found some work arounds that vastly improve the situation for me and my use.

- Firstly as a general point I'm very strict about which apps are able to run in the background. In general this is the biggest problem. Although I do use the phone daily and normally and do still have quite a few background apps. In general I'm also not to agressive about how much multi tasking I try to do at once. I try to use an app, close it, and then open a different one.

- I also try not to install apps that I don't use, or that I can maybe use via a browser instead. I'm also thorough about disabling apps that I can't uninstall but don't need, as well as killing apps that I only use periodically. I've also tried preventing some apps from starting at boot (by using something like SDMaid), but of course just running a 'kill apps' after boot solves that too.

- For apps that I use regularly but which don't need to run in the background for any purpose (notifications, etc) I have set App Info > Advanced > Battery > Background Restriction > to Restricted.
This enables the app to open much faster than if it were killed, but prevents it from using any resources if it's not open and in use.

- Finally what has helped the most is a tweaking app available here on XDA called HEBF. I'm not an expert but I've used this to set several specific tweaks which have made an enormous difference, such as:

- Low RAM Device Flag
- Virtual Memory, increase Z-RAM
(I didn't notice any battery hit from extra CPU use, but I did notice better memory management)
- Low Memory Killer, change all parameters

In the case of the Low Memory Killer I changed a lot of parameters through trial and error because I do have a few services that I wanted to always run in the background without fail and they would often get killed despite various measures to prevent this. I rarely if ever have that problem anymore with the tweaked settings.

Anyway, just some info from my experience which might be useful to other users too.

Thanks to everyone one who has helped me here on XDA including @haggertk for the continued support as well as a lot of other developers who have provided some great apps and other users for their experience and comments too.

:)

Sakalamtbats

Sep 24, 2021
2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
BuildModel
klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
klteactivexxSM-G870F
klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
Installation Instructions:
Reporting Bugs:
Compatibility Notes:
  • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
  • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
  • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
  • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
  • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
Donations:
  • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
Theres always a 2 seconds delay when i always wake my s5 from sleep mode,, how can i solve this,? Thanks

Brunowp8

Recognized Developer
Sep 27, 2016
São Paulo
Could you check this mixer file @curiousrom ? Modified from mixer_paths_File_Diffs_TheFixItMan_vs_Brunowp8.txt.:D:D:D

Used the @Brunowp8 values !

I was able to copy the mixer file from /system/vendor/ etc with Total Comander & non Rooted )

Boot into TWRP
Mount System
Delete the old mixer file in /system/vendor/etc ( make / made Backup before )
Copy the edited mixer file to /system/vendor/etc
Set permissions to 0644 (mixer file )

Reboot

There is another vendor folder on the root directory ? Im confused now :O
It still works to modify the values and change the file... I thought this was too old

yumifu

Oct 4, 2021
Hello everyone,
after a long time I've convinced myself from upgrading my Galaxy S5 to LineageOS 18.1. The Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) is my backup phone.
However, it sadly won't work for me.

Here's what I did:
- Copied everything valuable to my microSD
- Downloaded Odin3 v3.14.4
- Downloaded the latest Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones
- Installed the latest version of TWRP with Odin3 (twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte.img.tar)
- Did a full wipe of the phone (Wipe => Format Data)
- Installed "lineage-18.1-20211003-nightly-klte-signed.zip" (no errors)
- Installed "open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20210925.zip" (no errors)
- Rebooted the phone

So far it boots into the Android setup dialogue. However, after a certain period of time it crashes. The furthest I could get was when I've to add my wlan network. After the crash I'm stuck inside a boot loop. A regular "Wipe" helps fixing that, but it'll crash again inside the setup dialogue. Am I missing something? So far using an older version like "lineage-18.1-20210912-nightly-klte-signed.zip" didn't help either.

I'm appreciating any help.

kurtn

Hello everyone,
after a long time I've convinced myself from upgrading my Galaxy S5 to LineageOS 18.1. The Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) is my backup phone.
However, it sadly won't work for me.

Here's what I did:
- Copied everything valuable to my microSD
- Downloaded Odin3 v3.14.4
- Downloaded the latest Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones
- Installed the latest version of TWRP with Odin3 (twrp-3.5.2_9-0-klte.img.tar)
- Did a full wipe of the phone (Wipe => Format Data)
- Installed "lineage-18.1-20211003-nightly-klte-signed.zip" (no errors)
- Installed "open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20210925.zip" (no errors)
- Rebooted the phone

So far it boots into the Android setup dialogue. However, after a certain period of time it crashes. The furthest I could get was when I've to add my wlan network. After the crash I'm stuck inside a boot loop. A regular "Wipe" helps fixing that, but it'll crash again inside the setup dialogue. Am I missing something? So far using an older version like "lineage-18.1-20210912-nightly-klte-signed.zip" didn't help either.

I'm appreciating any help.
Maybe the phone was not on latest stock ROM before flashing. There is a link to flashable basebands in OP

yumifu

Oct 4, 2021
Maybe the phone was not on latest stock ROM before flashing. There is a link to flashable basebands in OP
I've downloaded "G900FXXU1CSA1_G900FXXS1CQA4_baseband_firmware.tar.md5" and installed it with Odin. Sadly no luck there either.
Maybe it's an issue with the phone? I have the same issue when I want to install LineageOS 17.1 again. Before doing all that LineageOS 17.1 worked fine on it tho.

...Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F...I've downloaded "G900FXXU1CSA1_G900FXXS1CQA4_baseband_firmware.tar.md5" and installed it with Odin. Sadly no luck there either.
Maybe it's an issue with the phone?...

The best way to confirm or rule out a hardware issue is to flash the most recent stock Samsung manufacturer's OS for your S5 SM-G900F.

This will also update the vendor's firmware, modem, bootloader etc.

Their paywall policies varies apparently randomly depending on the device & age of the OS but I used both sammobile.com & updato.com to download stock Samsung OS. Some users recommend samfw.com.

They all have flashing instructions using Odin3 in their respective download pages.

It does not matter for which country as long as it's made for your exact model number.

Usually the more recent, the better.

Test thoroughly while on stock Samsung OS & write down or screenshot the working APN settings.

Then install the most recent TWRP version, backup the EFS partition then flash LineageOS.

Format Data is better than a simple wipe Data if you want a really clean install.

Don't select install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may cause a bootloop.

"...Installed "open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20210925.zip" (no errors)" - Try MindTheGapps instead which has similar features as Nano: https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

If you look at the *Thanks and Credits* chapter in the bottom of the page of https://gitlab.com/MindTheGapps/vendor_gapps there is a bunch of LineageOS devs mentioned as testers & other contributions.

The same guys that you can find in https://wiki.lineageos.org/contributors.html

These extra apps included in MindTheGapps but not in Open GApps Pico can be disabled in Settings > Apps & notifications > Show all > 3-dots > Show system:
  • Android Accessibility Suite
  • Google (search app)
  • Markup
These included in both Pico & MTG can also be disabled in their respective app's info:
  • Android Auto
  • Google Text-to-speech Engine
  • Market Feedback Agent
The rest are core GApps.

Reactions: dcarvil

yumifu

Oct 4, 2021
The best way to confirm or rule out a hardware issue is to flash the most recent stock Samsung manufacturer's OS for your S5 SM-G900F.

This will also update the vendor's firmware, modem, bootloader etc.

Their paywall policies varies apparently randomly depending on the device & age of the OS but I used both sammobile.com & updato.com to download stock Samsung OS. Some users recommend samfw.com.

They all have flashing instructions using Odin3 in their respective download pages.

It does not matter for which country as long as it's made for your exact model number.

Usually the more recent, the better.

Test thoroughly while on stock Samsung OS & write down or screenshot the working APN settings.

Then install the most recent TWRP version, backup the EFS partition then flash LineageOS.

Format Data is better than a simple wipe Data if you want a really clean install.

Don't select install the TWRP app when offered in TWRP as it may cause a bootloop.

"...Installed "open_gapps-arm-11.0-nano-20210925.zip" (no errors)" - Try MindTheGapps instead which has similar features as Nano: https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html

If you look at the *Thanks and Credits* chapter in the bottom of the page of https://gitlab.com/MindTheGapps/vendor_gapps there is a bunch of LineageOS devs mentioned as testers & other contributions.

The same guys that you can find in https://wiki.lineageos.org/contributors.html

These extra apps included in MindTheGapps but not in Open GApps Pico can be disabled in Settings > Apps & notifications > Show all > 3-dots > Show system:
  • Android Accessibility Suite
  • Google (search app)
  • Markup
These included in both Pico & MTG can also be disabled in their respective app's info:
  • Android Auto
  • Google Text-to-speech Engine
  • Market Feedback Agent
The rest are core GApps.
I've downloaded "Samfw.com_SM-G900F_XEG_G900FXXU1CQA9_fac.zip" and that actually seems to work.
Booted into Android without any issues. I don't have a SIM inserted, so I don't have APN settings (or does APN mean something else?).
Anyway, Android is 6.0.1 with security patch 1st February 2017. I'm relieved that it's at least not a dead phone. I'm gonna try LineageOS 18.1 again. Thanks for the help.

Edit:
"Then install the most recent TWRP version, backup the EFS partition then flash LineageOS."
That didn't work and I got stuck in a boot -> recovery menu loop. However, doing a "Format Data" before installing LineageOS worked fine! Now I'm on Android 11. Thanks for the help, again :)

Last edited:

Zytrel

Jun 17, 2012
The last two posts deal with lack of resources. I think having "only" 2GB of RAM is the biggest issue. My Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 with Los17 still operates considerably smoother, with 3GB of RAM, but with a slightly slower Snapdragon 800 and higher screen res.
Even faster is the Lenovo tablet i'm typing on, with one of the cheapest Octocore SoCs(MediaTek P22, these are even used in smartwatches) and only but seemingly still sufficient 3GB Ram.
One thing that might help is increasing the zRam amount. I described the modification here.
Sometimes after I upgrade the firmware I forget to apply the change and notice that the phone runs a lot laggier than with my usual value of 640 MB zRam.
Also, my BlueTooth didn't crash in ages, not saying that there's a relation to the mod at all of course. :)

Regards,
Zy.

Reactions: jmh2002

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
One thing that might help is increasing the zRam amount. I described the modification here.
Sometimes after I upgrade the firmware I forget to apply the change and notice that the phone runs a lot laggier than with my usual value of 640 MB zRam.

I agree. I mentioned that I do it too in my big post above. In my case I use the HEBF app to set zRAM, since I'm also using that app to change all the parameters for the Low Memory Killer.

Reactions: Zytrel

Zytrel

Jun 17, 2012
I agree. I mentioned that I do it too in my big post above. In my case I use the HEBF app to set zRAM, since I'm also using that app to change all the parameters for the Low Memory Killer.
Interesting. Does it apply the change reliably? All other apps I've tried need multiple tries altering zRam post boot, or does it indeed directly modify the fstab.qcom?

Regards,
Zy.

Reactions: Slim2none4u

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Interesting. Does it apply the change reliably? All other apps I've tried need multiple tries altering zRam post boot, or does it indeed directly modify the fstab.qcom?

It does not apply the change reliably (even though the start up notification implies that it's making these changes) and I need to set it manually post boot (which is normally not often for me - once a month maybe).

BUT, I don't have Busybox installed which HEBF states is necessary for some of it's functionality (not sure if this includes setting zRAM during boot?)

I'm not an expert and not familiar with this - what/how should I install Busybox? HEBF just says to use any Busybox installer app from the Play Store.

Are there any downsides to installing Busybox?

Zytrel

Jun 17, 2012
It does not apply the change reliably (even though the start up notification implies that it's making these changes) and I need to set it manually post boot (which is normally not often for me - once a month maybe).
... but doesn't it take ages to for the changes to apply?
Guess I'll stick to my method, as I only have to do it once (and it's a matter of minutes) and it also speeds up boot time as the extra zRam is already there from the start.

Are there any downsides to installing Busybox?
Not really. Considering you have root I assume you use Magisk. Guess you could just try the Busybox module available there.
I also never really bothered with installing a Busybox package as usually all Apps come with their own version bundled in case they need it these days. HEBF would be the first one for me that requires an external one.
I might try it out on Sunday when I do my regular backup and firmware update.

Regards,
Zy.

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
... but doesn't it take ages to for the changes to apply?
Guess I'll stick to my method, as I only have to do it once (and it's a matter of minutes) and it also speeds up boot time as the extra zRam is already there from the start.

Yes, it's not instant, probably takes 30-60 seconds (I've never timed it, I'll do it next time).
I'm open to using a different method, but since it was available in HEBF I used that first.

Not really. Considering you have root I assume you use Magisk. Guess you could just try the Busybox module available there.
I also never really bothered with installing a Busybox package as usually all Apps come with their own version bundled in case they need it these days. HEBF would be the first one for me that requires an external one.
I might try it out on Sunday when I do my regular backup and firmware update.

Yes, I have Magisk Root, so ok I'll try to take a look at the modules there over the weekend.

Although I may also let you report back in the results of your testing on Sunday first :)

Here are some links to HEBF if you need them. It's open source since v3.0.0 on 31 May 2021 (https://xdaforums.com/t/app-4-1-heb...lbox-2021-05-31.3401341/page-59#post-85107127)

THANKS for the help Zy, much appreciated (y)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    Official LineageOS 18.1 Updates Now Monthly!

Bad news & good news. LineageOS in the recent past supported only 2 Android versions @ the same time because of infrastructure, LineageOS automated builder, servers & volunteer staff limitations and with the current testing and eventual launch of LOS 20.0 (no ETA questions please), all 18.1 supported devices should be on the chopping block.

But this time the devs made an exception. This LineageOS Gerrit Code Review change removed 89 devices from the weekly build roster Drop 18.1 devices:

if maintainers are still active, their devices can be re-added as monthly.
    And this change added 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices to the new monthly build roster: "I am alive, but very badly burned". Note that the S5 klte* family is on that lineage-build-targets list! :cool: 👍

Several of those legacy devices like the klte* cannot be promoted to official 19.1 or 20 as explained in LineageOS Changelog 26 - Tailored Twelve, Audacious Automotive, Neat Networking, Devoted Developers > Let’s talk about legacy devices chapter.

You can see the current LineageOS build roster in the hudson/lineage-build-targets on GitHub. At the present there are 105 devices supported with LineageOS 19.1 weekly builds & + the 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices.

An amazing achievement for a volunteer-based organization. ↑ (ツ)

I'm grateful for those LineageOS 18.1 devices that will get about 1 years' worth of monthly Android security bumps & some other changes. ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍