[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

Hadrian08

Oct 19, 2019
2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
BuildModel
klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
klteactivexxSM-G870F
klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
Installation Instructions:
Reporting Bugs:
Compatibility Notes:
  • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
  • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
  • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
  • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
  • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
Donations:
  • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.

I tried this ROM yesterday on my Samsung S5.. It was fast. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it as easier compared to RR rom.. My phone's power button is not working anymore. So in order to utilize my device, I have to rely on features like gestures or long press on navigation buttons. In the RR rom, there's an option for power menu on long press on buttons, as well as screenshot. May I request that this feature be included in future developments? Thank you so much!

danielhuf

Jun 20, 2018
Just updated to the 18.1-20211010-NIGHTLY-klte and I don't know what happened, but the battery seems suddenly to last for ages, thanks a lot @haggertk and all contributors!

zimral.xda

@danielhuf: Believe me or not, but i can confirm this! I use my good old S5 as a desk phone with WLAN and LTE/GSM enabled. The most used app is the RSA key generator which i need for my job. The behavior of my usage has not been changed since more than 1.5 years now. Therefore i am able to recognize very small changes in battery lifetime. There are builds which have more or less battery drain. The 20211010 is one of the ones whith _VERY_ less battery drain! Therefore i will stay on 20211010 for the next weeks maybe until the next security bump in november or december. Of course i will use my dev/test S5 to update on a regular basis to the actual nightly build and report this here :cool:
Thx 4 supporting the S5!

Last edited:

moreorless

Jan 23, 2021
I agree! Battery drain is way better then before. Hope they don't mess up over time. I advise anyone to archive that nightly build for a time. just in case if things go south again with the battery usage.

may be they will improve it even more which would be f***** awesome :D

omegoz

Oct 22, 2021
My Device is Galaxy S5 Docomo Japan.
I have just installed the latest version of Lineage OS, but the problem is still there, since the last time I used the older version with Android 10 a few months ago.

What is the problem?
-Charging issue, not detected.
-Can't be charged when the device is not booted on, otherwise it will keep restarting.

Any update/fix for this?

Re: S5 kltekdi Charging Issues

My Device is Galaxy S5 Docomo Japan.
I have just installed the latest version of Lineage OS, but the problem is still there, since the last time I used the older version with Android 10 a few months ago.

What is the problem?
-Charging issue, not detected.
-Can't be charged when the device is not booted on, otherwise it will keep restarting.

Any update/fix for this?

AFAIK there is no fix in the current builds @ the present for the S5 kltekdi charging issue.

The S5 klte* maintainer haggertk never replied to this post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just curious: did you try booting in TWRP recovery & connect to a power adapter to check if it's charging?

Last edited:

DickyG

Mar 30, 2013
Virginia
Just installed latest build yesterday. No problems whatsoever. As usual, many thanks to the developers. A couple months ago, I received a Galaxy a71 5g as a gift. I took the SIM card out of my S5 and began using the new phone. When I found out that the bootloader couldn't be unlocked, I put the SIM card back into my S5 and it is now...once again...my primary phone. I might try to sell the other one or give it to somebody.

Reactions: Massedil

hojnikb

Dec 25, 2009
Celje
partis.tk
I have an issue. I've installed on my G900F. But when i try to setup offline, i can set the language and then the screen stays stuck at "Please wait..."

Any ideas what to do? I've flashed latest pico gapps, if that has anything to do with this.

I have an issue. I've installed on my G900F. But when i try to setup offline, i can set the language and then the screen stays stuck at "Please wait..."
Happened to me too on my g900f. Even on 7.11 crdroid. Even without gapps. Sometimes it will go through after reflashing, then when I go to "files" and the internal storage isn't detected. I think that's why it gets stuck at please wait.

Thanks for your asnwer.

I installed BitGapps R41 and cannot see both apps in Play Store even though SafetyNet passes with Success in BASIC evalType.

Did you install manually apks ?
Do you know where I could have done this wrong ?
Hmm, I installed both apps via Play Store, no issues there. Looks like Play Store doesn't see your setup as certified or something. Magisk usually is the culprit, because hiding root is a mess. One day it works, next day it doesn't. Especially with banking apps. That's why I gave up on bothering about Magisk. Since then my phone just works (especially the banking apps).

You can sideload the .apk, though. Try Aurora (Play Store alternative that pulls the .apk from Google directly), it will install the corect version, since it doesn't care about Google Play restrictions. Search for it and you'll find it.

Last edited:

djibe89

May 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 4a
Hmm, I installed both apps via Play Store, no issues there. Looks like Play Store doesn't see your setup as certified or something. Magisk usually is the culprit, because hiding root is a mess. One day it works, next day it doesn't. Especially with banking apps. That's why I gave up on bothering about Magisk. Since then my phone just works (especially the banking apps).

You can sideload the .apk, though. Try Aurora (Play Store alternative that pulls the .apk from Google directly), it will install the corect version, since it doesn't care about Google Play restrictions. Search for it and you'll find it.
Hi, you are awesome !
Didn't know about Aurora, everything is fine.
Thanks a lot,
JB

Reactions: x2k13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EOL

What a great run!
    My Samsung S5 display suddenly switches like in the picture and I can't unlock it. This is a bug or what?View attachment 6073928
    That's the smart cover feature. You probably had a magnet on the wrong position. Force a restart and disable smart cover in connected devices.
    I absolutely plan to install LineageOS on different devices in the future. 🤓 Sounds like I should archive them into a folder. 📁 I installed LineageOS on my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F, and intend to do the same on my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8. 🍁 Would reusing the files cause issues, especially at the part where you have to TAR the recovery?
    ..W8 and ..F are both klte. Files can be reused.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    Official LineageOS 18.1 Updates Now Monthly!

Bad news & good news. LineageOS in the recent past supported only 2 Android versions @ the same time because of infrastructure, LineageOS automated builder, servers & volunteer staff limitations and with the current testing and eventual launch of LOS 20.0 (no ETA questions please), all 18.1 supported devices should be on the chopping block.

But this time the devs made an exception. This LineageOS Gerrit Code Review change removed 89 devices from the weekly build roster Drop 18.1 devices:

if maintainers are still active, their devices can be re-added as monthly.
    And this change added 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices to the new monthly build roster: "I am alive, but very badly burned". Note that the S5 klte* family is on that lineage-build-targets list! :cool: 👍

Several of those legacy devices like the klte* cannot be promoted to official 19.1 or 20 as explained in LineageOS Changelog 26 - Tailored Twelve, Audacious Automotive, Neat Networking, Devoted Developers > Let’s talk about legacy devices chapter.

You can see the current LineageOS build roster in the hudson/lineage-build-targets on GitHub. At the present there are 105 devices supported with LineageOS 19.1 weekly builds & + the 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices.

An amazing achievement for a volunteer-based organization. ↑ (ツ)

I'm grateful for those LineageOS 18.1 devices that will get about 1 years' worth of monthly Android security bumps & some other changes. ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍