[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

JohnieJ

Feb 25, 2017
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me with my issue. I have a G900P running Lineage 17.1 (kltedv) almost perfectly! The only issue I have found is loss of the volume up and down. I must qualify that I do NOT use this phone's LTE properties, so have no idea how well it functions with a SIM in it! I am using it strictly for a lightweight media player and a project for something to do. I'm retired! :cowboy:

My real issue is I have tried numerous times to try OS 18 with Android 11 just to see if it functions as well, but with volume controls functional. I tried with disabling (uninstall) Magisk, without disabling also. I am trying to do this without losing all the work I accomplished in A 10. So I haven't been wiping anything. I have tried this with adb sideload and with current version 3.6 TWRP. I haven't flashed GApps as it already exists from 10. It always boots, but it hangs in the Lineage logo running. I have left it for 10 minutes, and still no screen.

I guess my question is: Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to upgrade without killing the previous work? Or am I just not doing it right? I love 10, but the lack of volume control without going to settings/sound picks my interest in 11.

I have 10 running on 2 SM-T807T's and one SM-T800 and love it! They run perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance getting this to A 11 for a test.

John
Billings, MT

kurtn

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me with my issue. I have a G900P running Lineage 17.1 (kltedv) almost perfectly! The only issue I have found is loss of the volume up and down. I must qualify that I do NOT use this phone's LTE properties, so have no idea how well it functions with a SIM in it! I am using it strictly for a lightweight media player and a project for something to do. I'm retired! :cowboy:

My real issue is I have tried numerous times to try OS 18 with Android 11 just to see if it functions as well, but with volume controls functional. I tried with disabling (uninstall) Magisk, without disabling also. I am trying to do this without losing all the work I accomplished in A 10. So I haven't been wiping anything. I have tried this with adb sideload and with current version 3.6 TWRP. I haven't flashed GApps as it already exists from 10. It always boots, but it hangs in the Lineage logo running. I have left it for 10 minutes, and still no screen.

I guess my question is: Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to upgrade without killing the previous work? Or am I just not doing it right? I love 10, but the lack of volume control without going to settings/sound picks my interest in 11.

I have 10 running on 2 SM-T807T's and one SM-T800 and love it! They run perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance getting this to A 11 for a test.

John
Billings, MT
Read the blue box

Each major Android version has it's own GApps. So you need to flash mindthegapps arm 11

Reactions: pmduper

JohnieJ

Feb 25, 2017
Wow! Out of ALL the stuff I have read, this is the first time I have seen that particular page.

Thanks a bunch. I will give this a try tomorrow.

Have a great day/evening!

John
Billings, MT
Well, here's what happened. Used TWRP 3.6 which is what I have been using from the beginning and what I used to install 17.1 and the Gapps nano which works fine other than what I mentioned in my first post. Installing 18 and mindmygapps, no wipes, wouldn't finish boot. (By the way, I did uninstall magisk prior to this). Tried again wiping Dalvik/Cache. Same results. So decided to do a clean install. Wiped everything except internalSD. Flashed 18 & mindmygapps. Viola, booted into setup. Thought I had it made. Hit the start button and re-boot immediately. Came backup into the next step. I got through the entire setup to a home screen. I touched it and immediate reboot that never recovered. Finally rebooted into recovery and restored my 17. It booted, but showed a corrupt SDCard. It wiped out my entire sd card storage. I am sure I can replace most anything that was there, but it was a shock to me. And no, I didn't wipe External SD card. And, my TWRP backups where still there to restore from TWRP. It happened when I booted into 17:cry:

Any thoughts?

John
Billings, MT

• Wow
Reactions: kurtn

EuK_V

Jul 1, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S5
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Well, here's what happened. Used TWRP 3.6 which is what I have been using from the beginning and what I used to install 17.1 and the Gapps nano which works fine other than what I mentioned in my first post. Installing 18 and mindmygapps, no wipes, wouldn't finish boot. (By the way, I did uninstall magisk prior to this). Tried again wiping Dalvik/Cache. Same results. So decided to do a clean install. Wiped everything except internalSD. Flashed 18 & mindmygapps. Viola, booted into setup. Thought I had it made. Hit the start button and re-boot immediately. Came backup into the next step. I got through the entire setup to a home screen. I touched it and immediate reboot that never recovered. Finally rebooted into recovery and restored my 17. It booted, but showed a corrupt SDCard. It wiped out my entire sd card storage. I am sure I can replace most anything that was there, but it was a shock to me. And no, I didn't wipe External SD card. And, my TWRP backups where still there to restore from TWRP. It happened when I booted into 17:cry:

Any thoughts?

John
Billings, MT
That's why before flashing ROMs I make:
  • a backup of all partitions in TWRP to an external SDcard or flash drive;
  • AND (!)
  • a backup of Internal storage - manually (copy files and folders);
  • then I remove the external sdcard or flash drive from the phone;
  • And only then I flash a new ROM.

Cause I have also experienced the wipe of the entire Internal storage several times during flashing ROMs.

JohnieJ

Feb 25, 2017
That's why before flashing ROMs I make:
  • a backup of all partitions in TWRP to an external SDcard or flash drive;
  • AND (!)
  • a backup of Internal storage - manually (copy files and folders);
  • then I remove the external sdcard or flash drive from the phone;
  • And only then I flash a new ROM.

Cause I have also experienced the wipe of the entire Internal storage several times during flashing ROMs.
Howdy!

Well, it was a lesson :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In all the years I have been doing this, I never had this happen before! Like I mentioned, no great loss as I have already recovered 98% of what was on there.

My main concern is why I was able to get all the way through setup before it crashed into a mode that wouldn't boot? Maybe the SD card? Should I install a blank card and try again? Any thoughts GREATLY appreciated.

John
Billings, MT

Reactions: EuK_V

pmduper

Howdy!

Well, it was a lesson :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In all the years I have been doing this, I never had this happen before! Like I mentioned, no great loss as I have already recovered 98% of what was on there.

My main concern is why I was able to get all the way through setup before it crashed into a mode that wouldn't boot? Maybe the SD card? Should I install a blank card and try again? Any thoughts GREATLY appreciated.

John
Billings, MT
sm-g900i kltedv

G'day mate,

My 2 cents worth.
Anytime I flash a rom, except for OTA, I boot into twrp and always FORMAT first, next advance clean all but SD card. Flash the rom from SD card and setup. Never had problems.
However I do not use GAPPS or Magisk. You may want to try rom only...

This may be an overkill however works well for me. Setup is a chore which I'm happy to do
If you continue to have problems you may want to re install stock Samsung firmware, latest for your variant, and then head back to custom rom.
Good luck

Cheers, Phil

Massedil

Dec 7, 2016
Paris
Hello,

I see a strange behavior with a new SM-G900F that I try to configure like my main one.

With my main one I can connect to both 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks.

With the new one :

- I can connect to 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks, but I can't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi networks.
- I well see both type of Wi-Fi network in the list, but I only can connect to 2.4GHz.

I can reproduce by creating a Wi-Fi access point with my my working SM-G900F : if I choose "5GHz (preferred)" the other phone can't connect, and if I choose "2.4GHz" the other phone connect fine.

Both phone have baseband "G900FXXS1CQA4".

On the new phone I tried with a LOS build from August 2021 and from January 2022 : same behavior (I can't connect to 5GHz networks).

Is there someone who know what happens ?

JohnieJ

Feb 25, 2017
sm-g900i kltedv

G'day mate,

My 2 cents worth.
Anytime I flash a rom, except for OTA, I boot into twrp and always FORMAT first, next advance clean all but SD card. Flash the rom from SD card and setup. Never had problems.
However I do not use GAPPS or Magisk. You may want to try rom only...

This may be an overkill however works well for me. Setup is a chore which I'm happy to do
If you continue to have problems you may want to re install stock Samsung firmware, latest for your variant, and then head back to custom rom.
Good luck

Cheers, Phil
Hi Phil.

Thanks for the input.

Very interesting, I must say. I've been flashing ROM's since I got my first smartphone, an HTC back in ~2008. Never had issues like this. Even installing 17.1 went pretty smooth. I actually bought this G900P off ebay last week as the 2 S5's I used for several years was the 900V Verizon version CID11 which cannot have the bootloader unlocked.

18 is kicking my butt!🥺 But I shall not give up. There is no logical reason for these issues...

TTYL...

John
Billings, MT

Reactions: pmduper

Kirparon

Jul 7, 2015
Hello,

i have a big Problem with a bug. I used a Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F (klte) and i use a lot of LinegageOS 18.1 versions, and all of them said to me, that i have no free space on my phone. I cant install Apps, because its not possible for the Play Store.

Everytime i did a clean install, with full wipe of all partion and i install only LineageOS 18.1 and OpenGapps Pico.

This bug is on the Versions: 20220116, 20220109, 20211226

What version for the Galaxy S5 is without the bug? And how can i install older versions? All of the actually had the bug and i cant find older versions on the LineageOS homepage.

Last edited:

BigPulco

Dec 30, 2019
Hello,

i have a big Problem with a bug. I used a Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F (klte) and i use a lot of LinegageOS 18.1 versions, and all of them said to me, that i have no free space on my phone. I cant install Apps, because its not possible for the Play Store.

Everytime i did a clean install, with full wipe of all partion and i install only LineageOS 18.1 and OpenGapps Pico.

This bug is on the Versions: 20220116, 20220109, 20211226

What version for the Galaxy S5 is without the bug? And how can i install older versions? All of the actually had the bug and i cant find older versions on the LineageOS homepage.

I have S5 G900F (KLTE) and I'm using 9 January 2022 version of limeageOs 18.1 with OpenGapps Pico and I have no problem. Are you sure your phones memory is really OK. During clean install maybe you like to format too.

Regards and good luck...

Reactions: curiousrom

Kirparon

Jul 7, 2015
@BigPulco

It works without problems, before i start the new install.

A few people 2 weeks before, talked about the same bug.

What kind of Recovery do you use? TWRP or Lineage Recovery?

Edit:

I got it. I formated the phone again, flashing Lineage Recovery with TWRP. In Lineage Recovery i formated all partions and then reinstalled TWRP.

After that it start installing LineageOS 18.1 + Gapps and it works now.

I dont know why the Lineage Recovery is formating different. I think there is also a bug into the LineageOS 18.1 2022er Versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigPulco
TWRP & Lineage Recovery - Format Data vs. Wipe

...I formated the phone again, flashing Lineage Recovery with TWRP. In Lineage Recovery i formated all partions and then reinstalled TWRP.

After that it start installing LineageOS 18.1 + Gapps and it works now.

I dont know why the Lineage Recovery is formating different...

Probably because you are confusing a simple wipe (factory reset) with Format Data in TWRP. See the attachments.

If you want to do a really clean install in TWRP *Format Data* + wipe System & caches before flashing LineageOS.

In both TWRP & Lineage recovery you cannot "formated all partions". You can only format the data partition & wipe the others. Words matter in this case.

From TWRP FAQ: What is a data/media device?:

"...Since /data/media is part of /data, we pretty much never actually format the data partition. Formatting data, of course, also removes the media folder that contains the internal sdcard. When you choose a factory reset, instead of formatting, we use rm -rf commands to remove all the folders except for the media folder so that we can remove all of your apps and settings while leaving your "sdcard" intact.

In TWRP we also have a wipe internal storage option that rm -rf's the media folder and a "Format Data" option that formats to recreate the entire file system in case something goes completely wrong or to remove device encryption."

Format Data adds an empty encryption footer after the end of the Data partition for some future encryption related data if enabled.

Format data will destroy the content of your internal storage so backup to external SD card or computer before doing it.

Note: in the Lineage recovery a factory reset will Format Data and destroy the content of the internal storage + will wipe the System partition & caches.

So my guess is that your S5 had an issue in the Data partition & the Format Data feature in the Lineage recovery fixed it.

TWRP & the Lineage Recovery are made by different people & have different features.

I prefer TWRP on the S5 mainly because of it's backup & File manager features.

On some other devices TWRP does not work properly so the Lineage Recovery is the only game in town in those cases.

Attachments

• TWRP_Format_Data_curiousrom.png
    TWRP_Format_Data_curiousrom.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 126
  • TWRP_Super_Clean_Install_Format_Data_Wipe_curiousrom.png
    TWRP_Super_Clean_Install_Format_Data_Wipe_curiousrom.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Kirparon

Jul 7, 2015
I did what you showing me.

I formated every partiton, like you show on the second picture.

I select all of these partitons: Dalvik/ART Cache, System. Data, Internal Storage, Cache, microSD card and USB Storage.

Thats how i new install my phone every 6 months, so for me i think there is any bug into the LineageOS 2022er versions.

Reactions: vlad3647

BigPulco

Dec 30, 2019
I did what you showing me.

I formated every partiton, like you show on the second picture.

I select all of these partitons: Dalvik/ART Cache, System. Data, Internal Storage, Cache, microSD card and USB Storage.

Thats how i new install my phone every 6 months, so for me i think there is any bug into the LineageOS 2022er versions.

The latest "lineage-18.1-20220116-nightly-klte-signed.zip" is reverting back a correction (Revert "adbconnection: don't spin if adbd isn't running.") as indicating that for some phones causing as "Breaks boot for many devices".

May be that is what happening in your case if you like to try...

Edit: To see "Changes for klte"
:

Last edited:

chillipig

Jun 22, 2015
"Clean Install" & No Space says Google Play?

What is the full name of the Open GApps file that you installed?

Are you are trying to download huge 100 MB apps?

If you sideloaded Open GApps it automatically creates a log named open_gapps_log.txt in the internal sdcard folder.

If you copied to the device the GApps...zip package & installed it from there manually using the recovery then the "open_gapps_log.txt" is created in the same location as the GApps...zip package.

Maybe you could attach that log to a post? Zip it if you have issues attaching it to a post.

What do you mean exactly by a clean install? Format Data is better than a simple wipe Data if you want a really clean install. (screenshot)

See Clean Install with TWRP.

From TWRP FAQ: What is a data/media device?:

Format Data adds an empty encryption footer after the end of the Data partition for some future encryption related data if enabled.

Format data will destroy the content of your internal storage so backup to external SD card or computer before doing it.

Try with MindTheGApps instead of Open GApps. See the bottom of this post about optimizing MindTheGapps which I installed on my S5 G900M.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise there was a later MindTheGapps and had previously tried MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210412_124103 which had the same problem, but MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm-20210920_083829 seems to have fixed it and I was chuffed until I realised I now have a big battery drain issue (I have two S5 DUOS and this is the Arabic version) everything else works as before on 16.1 So as I also have a Russia S5 I did the same lineage-18.1-20220116 and Magix 23, this has no battery drain but will not give me 4G which I suspect is linked to the previous issue I had on 16.1 whereby one slot is prioritised for 4G unlike stock which is interchangable on the fly. I made a few posts about it. With 18.1 I note it's impossible to achieve 4G on my Russian DUOS and I would take a guess that they are different enough for the Russian model to be incompatible with what may have been compiled for the Arabic one.

S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2022-01-23 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2022-01-16 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.6.0_9-0 to build 2022-01-23: everything went smoothly as usual & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are quite a few changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ and some of them do not concern the S5 klte* family but most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Bump Security String to 2022-01-05.

Many of the listed changes are related to that bump & were committed by the S5's dev haggertk as you can see in the pages 1 & 2 of the LineageOS Gerrit code review here: https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:R_asb_2022-01

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: January 5, 2022.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - January 2022 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

BTW you can create a direct link to the Updater app & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget.

For example I like the App info shortcut because it opens directly > Settings > Apps & notifications > See all {number} apps.

I stack them on Home to create a folder.

Attachments

• Updater_2022-01-23_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_2022-01-23_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 47

rootkitty

Nov 3, 2013
I'm trying to convert an "original" SM-G900W8 to LOS 18.1, and I'm wondering if there is anything special that I need to do to work with a phone that is that old? I have another SM-G900W8, that has been upgraded several times, and it was no problem, but it was coming from LOS16... just did the wipe as recommended with TWRP, flashed and good to go.

I have successfully installed TWRP-3.6.0_9-0-klte,, but when I try to do a nandroid backup (just in case i need ot go back for some reason), it fails - here is the last few lines of recovery.log:

Code:
:addFile '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/context_feature_default.db-journal' including root: 1
  ==> set selinux context: u:object_r:app_data_file:s0
I:addFile '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/google_analytics_v4.db' including root: 1
I:addFile '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/google_analytics_v4.db-journal' including root: 1
Truncating string cache entries.
I:addFile '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/fitness.db.dipaolo.ca_gmail.com' including root: 1
I:addFile '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/snet_files_info.db' including root: 1
I:addFile '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/snet_files_info.db-journal' including root: 1
I:Error adding file '/data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/snet_files_info.db-journal' to '/usbstorage/TWRP/BACKUPS/SM-G900W8/2022-01-23--03-29-15_KOT49HG900W8VLU1ANF3_STOCK/data.ext4.win000'
Error creating backup.
I:ERROR tarList for thread ID 0
Error creating backup.
I:InfoManager saving '/usbstorage/TWRP/BACKUPS/SM-G900W8/2022-01-23--03-29-15_KOT49HG900W8VLU1ANF3_STOCK/data.info'
createTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255
Backup Failed. Cleaning Backup Folder.

Any suggestions on how to make a backup that I can restore if I need to.
Does this issue mean I am going to have other issues if I do a clean wipe and install of LOS18.1?
Any suggestons (including other places where I should post this question), advice is much appreciated.

I just flashed https://mirrorbits.lineageos.org/full/klte/20220123/lineage-18.1-20220123-nightly-klte-signed.zip OTA and well...
It got weird Bro! All apps crash at launch, I'm trying to capture a log or two.

***EDIT***
So it looks like if you do the OTA update instead of doing a manual update it enables Encryption and DM Verity.
I'm guessing the OS broke when I tried to fix Magisk by flashing the boot.img followed by Magisk-v23.0.zip, UPDATE-Busybox.Installer.v1.34.1-ALL-signed.zip and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020.zip then wiping the Dalvik and rebooting...

I guess don't use the OTA?!? I kinda figured it would parse for that first!

***UPDATE***
If anyone else is having similar issues, it's because Magisk is having issues with Android 11 so try the Canary Builds.

topjohnwu​

is working on it!

For feedback on Canary Builds report here.

Attachments

• logs-2022-01-23-10-22-32.zip
    205.6 KB · Views: 5
  • build.prop.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: vlad3647

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    Official LineageOS 18.1 Updates Now Monthly!

Bad news & good news. LineageOS in the recent past supported only 2 Android versions @ the same time because of infrastructure, LineageOS automated builder, servers & volunteer staff limitations and with the current testing and eventual launch of LOS 20.0 (no ETA questions please), all 18.1 supported devices should be on the chopping block.

But this time the devs made an exception. This LineageOS Gerrit Code Review change removed 89 devices from the weekly build roster Drop 18.1 devices:

if maintainers are still active, their devices can be re-added as monthly.
    And this change added 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices to the new monthly build roster: "I am alive, but very badly burned". Note that the S5 klte* family is on that lineage-build-targets list! :cool: 👍

Several of those legacy devices like the klte* cannot be promoted to official 19.1 or 20 as explained in LineageOS Changelog 26 - Tailored Twelve, Audacious Automotive, Neat Networking, Devoted Developers > Let’s talk about legacy devices chapter.

You can see the current LineageOS build roster in the hudson/lineage-build-targets on GitHub. At the present there are 105 devices supported with LineageOS 19.1 weekly builds & + the 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices.

An amazing achievement for a volunteer-based organization. ↑ (ツ)

I'm grateful for those LineageOS 18.1 devices that will get about 1 years' worth of monthly Android security bumps & some other changes. ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍