[ROM][OFFICIAL][11] LineageOS 18.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte*)

Search This thread

r3actor

Nov 1, 2013
In twrp you don't need magisk. You can simply use file manager or adb to write a file in system partition. Mount it as writable.
Thanks for your answer.

But, since I never did anything (like this) through TWRP, can you tell me how to 'mount it as writiable' ? (mount... what? 'system' ?) Sorry for stupid questions but...I just never did such thing before and I have no clue.

In the past I used File Explorer (once I rooted the phone), or nowdays MiXplorer to do things. But thats from within Android OS. Never did change things (moved, pasted, deleted system files) through TWRP.

Tomek0000

Jun 14, 2015
TWRP has option for mount and unmount partitions. Use it for unmount, change option and mount again. File manager is a feature of twrp. Use is as similar windows application and copy file from your location to system location.

devilhopper

Mar 10, 2017
Hi guys,

Everything works great, but after activating encryption it turns out that my device is FDE encrypted now. I thought that lineage 18.1 encrypts to FBE by default? Supposedly, there should be an option to switch from FDE to FBE in the developer settings, but I couldn't find that one either. Is this a known feature/bug, or did I do anything wrong? Thanks!

S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2022-05-15 - Android Security Bump

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2022-04-17 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 23.0 + TWRP 3.6.1_9-0 to build 2022-05-15: everything went smoothly as usual & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are several changes listed in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but most importantly it includes the monthly Android security bump: Bump Security String to 2022-05-05.

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2022.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2022 for details about the security fixes.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 klte* up to date. :cool: 👍

Attachments

• Updater_2022-05-15_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    Updater_2022-05-15_LineageOS_18-1_S5_curiousrom.png
    347.4 KB · Views: 53

devilhopper

Mar 10, 2017
Hi guys,

Everything works great, but after activating encryption it turns out that my device is FDE encrypted now. I thought that lineage 18.1 encrypts to FBE by default? Supposedly, there should be an option to switch from FDE to FBE in the developer settings, but I couldn't find that one either. Is this a known feature/bug, or did I do anything wrong? Thanks!
So after spending all afternoon trying to force file based encryption, but being unable to do so - is my hunch correct that FBE is impossible on the S5 due to limitations with the kernel or hardware? Because if Lineage 18.1 goes for FDE instead of FBE on a wiped phone, it only does that if it absolutely has to?

r3actor

Nov 1, 2013
I just bought a new battery for G900F model. Does anyone know what would be the propper way to calibrate it?

And... should I discarge it to 0% and charge it back to 100% three times in a row?

I just bought a new battery for G900F model. Does anyone know what would be the propper way to calibrate it?

And... should I discarge it to 0% and charge it back to 100% three times in a row?
Discharging to 0% is a bad idea.
Afaik the battery gets calibrated during usage after a while.

But somewhere on XDA I've found a battery test app for Samsung devices made by vndnguyen who made the PhoneInfoSAM as well.
I've found that 100% on device are shown although test app was still loading quite a while.
Btw it's not in the Playstore.
If you don't find it, tell me and I'll upload it to my Dropbox.

Reactions: x2k13
What is a charging issue ? Could you describe a problem ?
The device is charging in the background but it doesn’t show any response to the charger connectivity while booted into lineage os 18.1 and also on offline charging the device does the same…charging on twrp works fine….This issue is present since the release of lineage os 17 on this specific variant of galaxy s5 snapdragon ”kltekdi” aka ntt docomo s5 (Sc-04f / G900D). On lineage os 16 everything works perfectly normal. Although there is some progress related to solution of this problem on unofficial lineage os 19 aka android 12L. The developer has been able to solve this problem partially, the device now recognizes the charger connectivity but after sometime disconnects and keeps on connecting and disconnecting simultaneously. So there’s some hope that this problem will be solved in the future builds of lineage os 19.

r3actor

Nov 1, 2013
Don't do that, overdischarge may hurt the battery, just use it as normal.
Ok, thanks for the answer... but... since I still didn't removed the plastic envelope from the new battery (I still didn't started using the new battery)... what if...when I put the new battery, it shows 66% charged? Should I charge it to 100% or discharge it (to... I don't know... 5%, or 15%) first? Also, an app (AccuBattery) that I have installed on my tablet, suggest (it actually warn me) everytime I reach 85% while charging. It sais 'charging limit reached'. I don't know if 85% is considered 'good' percentage tor extensing the life of battery or its a non sense?

r3actor

Nov 1, 2013
Discharging to 0% is a bad idea.
Afaik the battery gets calibrated during usage after a while.

But somewhere on XDA I've found a battery test app for Samsung devices made by vndnguyen who made the PhoneInfoSAM as well.
I've found that 100% on device are shown although test app was still loading quite a while.
Btw it's not in the Playstore.
If you don't find it, tell me and I'll upload it to my Dropbox.
What do you mean by 'battery gets calibrated during usage' ? Also I heard that there might be some file on the phone that collect some battery data, so I'm concerned if the phone would continue to use old battery stats with new freshly inserted battery?

As for PhoneInfoSAM... its really strange that google play removed it from its site? Why would they do that if there were no shady things regarding that app?
Btw. topic is here: https://xdaforums.com/t/app-2-1-phone-info-samsung-refurbishment-check-csc-changer-and-more.2609045/

I am having issues with missed calls not being counted right / reset with the latest LineageOS - lineage_klte on my device. I am using LineageOS without Google services. I am using the Simple Dialer app from F-Droid instead of the default Phone app. The issue was also reported here: https://github.com/SimpleMobileTools/Simple-Dialer/issues/256 but according to other information on the internet I found that you can't clear missing call notification and that Google disabled access to this functionality to third party apps? Is this the right place to report it or should I log a ticket somewhere else?

Also this is the result after just 4 missed calls from the same phone number. It is very weird, the missed calls are somehow duplicated. Going into the Call details history seems to reset the counter for the missed call notification. What could be the issue?

Screenshot_20220527-192505_Phone_s.png

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'battery gets calibrated during usage' ?
That while using for some days with several chargings in the meantime it finds out by itself. But I may be wrong therefore afaik.
Also I heard that there might be some file on the phone that collect some battery data, so I'm concerned if the phone would continue to use old battery stats with new freshly inserted battery?
Search for .db files in /. I've found a battery_settings.db on another device with LOS. Don't have the S5 by my hand.
As for PhoneInfoSAM... its really strange that google play removed it from its site? Why would they do that if there were no shady things regarding that app?
Btw. topic is here: https://xdaforums.com/t/app-2-1-phone-info-samsung-refurbishment-check-csc-changer-and-more.2609045/
Because they didn't earn enough with it?
Do you really believe in Google protecting us?
I don't, therefore I use Netguard no Root by @M66B (brilliant app btw.) and block those which I think don't have to be connected.

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'battery gets calibrated during usage' ? Also I heard that there might be some file on the phone that collect some battery data...
These are statistics about what app used how much battery and such. It has nothing to do with the battery itself. So, deleting that file will just wipe your statistics, nothing more.

Reactions: Slim2none4u

hk133hk

Mar 30, 2022
Ok, thanks for the answer... but... since I still didn't removed the plastic envelope from the new battery (I still didn't started using the new battery)... what if...when I put the new battery, it shows 66% charged? Should I charge it to 100% or discharge it (to... I don't know... 5%, or 15%) first? Also, an app (AccuBattery) that I have installed on my tablet, suggest (it actually warn me) everytime I reach 85% while charging. It sais 'charging limit reached'. I don't know if 85% is considered 'good' percentage tor extensing the life of battery or its a non sense?
Just use it as normal, and if you really worry about battery life, avoid overdischarge(avoid battery level lower than 20%) and overcharge(plug off the charger when the battery is 100% charged).

Also a good quality charger could extend your battery life, charger that comes with your phone is good enough.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps) . LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Device source code:
    Kernel source code:

Build Compatibility:
    The noted models are the only ones supported. If you have a model that isn't listed and ask politely then I might work to add compatibility.
    BuildModel
    klteSM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8
    klteactivexxSM-G870F
    klteaioSM-G900AZ, SM-S902L
    kltechnSM-G9006V, SM-G9008V
    kltechnduoSM-G9006W, SM-G9008W, SM-G9009W
    klteduosSM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedvSM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekdiSC-04F, SCL23
    kltekorSM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

Downloads:
    Installation Instructions:
    Reporting Bugs:
    Compatibility Notes:
    • Bootloader version doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you so doesn't know what they are taking about. My Developer Edition G900V is still running the original 4.4.2 KK aboot. My G900W8 is running the latest 6.0.1.
    • All builds except for klteactivexx and klteaio MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) radio for RIL to work. If you are about to report that RIL/radio isn't working then I pretty much guarantee this is your issue.
    • You MUST be running a marshmallow (6.0.1) NON-HLOS for the fingerprint reader to work. If you are about to report a fingerprint reader problem then you either have old firmware (update it), your /data was previously encrypted and you performed a "clean" flash without FORMATTING /data (start over and FORMAT /data), or your reader is just broken.
    • External SD cards don't support POSIX (ext*, f2fs) or NTFS filesystems anymore. If this affects you then just bite the bullet, copy any data off you really want to save, and reformat as exfat.
    • The latest TWRP seems like it works, but if someone has issues then perhaps try using the actual supported recovery.
    Donations:
    • I absolutely don't personally accept them. If you really feel that this work deserves it, then find a local food bank or animal shelter/rescue and throw some money their way. You can also throw some the way of LineageOS, but we're actually doing pretty well right now.
    Merry Christmas to you @haggertk and the Lineage team. Thanks for your work throughout the year. All the very best to everyone for 2022
    Official LineageOS 18.1 Updates Now Monthly!

Bad news & good news. LineageOS in the recent past supported only 2 Android versions @ the same time because of infrastructure, LineageOS automated builder, servers & volunteer staff limitations and with the current testing and eventual launch of LOS 20.0 (no ETA questions please), all 18.1 supported devices should be on the chopping block.

But this time the devs made an exception. This LineageOS Gerrit Code Review change removed 89 devices from the weekly build roster Drop 18.1 devices:

if maintainers are still active, their devices can be re-added as monthly.
    And this change added 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices to the new monthly build roster: "I am alive, but very badly burned". Note that the S5 klte* family is on that lineage-build-targets list! :cool: 👍

Several of those legacy devices like the klte* cannot be promoted to official 19.1 or 20 as explained in LineageOS Changelog 26 - Tailored Twelve, Audacious Automotive, Neat Networking, Devoted Developers > Let’s talk about legacy devices chapter.

You can see the current LineageOS build roster in the hudson/lineage-build-targets on GitHub. At the present there are 105 devices supported with LineageOS 19.1 weekly builds & + the 57 LineageOS 18.1 devices.

An amazing achievement for a volunteer-based organization. ↑ (ツ)

I'm grateful for those LineageOS 18.1 devices that will get about 1 years' worth of monthly Android security bumps & some other changes. ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
    SDcard corruption may be caused by a recent Google security patch. I experienced this once with the "new" unofficial LOS17 for the Samsung P605, coming from unofficial 14.1,where this never happened before. But others started complaining about the same issue, after this antique rom got a recent security patch.
    It's (likely) not. I've found an issue in the legacy paths of the recent sdfat (Samsung exfat driver) revision. I haven't been able to recreate the bug/assert after the fix. After getting a second confirmation I'll upload the merge the change.

Every kernel < 4.8.y that had updated to sdfat 1.4.5 is affected.
    S5 LineageOS 18.1 Update 2021-05-09 - Security Bump, Camera U.I. Fix & Kill App Option

Using the built-in Updater I OTA updated S5 G900M LineageOS 18.1 klte build 2021-05-02 + MindTheGapps + Magisk 22.1 + TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to build 2021-05-09: everything went smoothly & GApps + Magisk survived the update.

There are a bunch of changes as you can see in https://download.lineageos.org/klte/changes/ but of note:

After the automatic reboot as seen in the screenshot > Settings > About phone > press on Android version > Android security update: May 5, 2021.

The Vendor security patch level just below it remains @ August 1, 2017 because the vendor is Samsung & it is not publishing security patches for it's S5 proprietary hardware related blobs anymore since August 2017.

See Android Security Bulletin - May 2021 for details about the security fixes.

With the change Snap: use translucent control background on 16:9 the stock camera is showing the full frame preview again (screenshot). There are other minor Camera changes.

Interesting also there is a new Kill foreground app option in > Settings > System > Buttons > for Home, Back & Recents buttons which is useful when an app is frozen or you want to prevent it from using some RAM in the background (screenshot). Note that it may make it slower to open that killed app the next time you want to use it.

BTW you can create a direct link to Updater & much more with the LineageOS Settings widget. I stacked a few of them on Home to create a LineageOS shortcut folder for quick access.

Thank you to the Lineage Team & Mr. haggertk for keeping our old S5 up to date. :cool: 👍