[ROM][OFFICIAL][14] LineageOS 21.0 for LG V30 all variants (joan)

Search This thread

rolamoto

May 3, 2011
Reactions: curiousrom

lifehackerhansol

WiFi is working on mine with this build. During the setup process I couldn't get it to connect to my network but once I was through that I was able to connect. Thank you!
Awesome, you'll see it in next week's official build.

You'll have to factory reset before switching to the official ROM from the test ROM.

Thank you for being patient!

Cobra11Murderer

Oct 18, 2011
Mineral Wells
LG V30
Alright, I have a lead. @shyguy88 @rolamoto

I took a look at the Wi-Fi daemon in a hex editor and it seems we are missing a folder.

Can you guys go to recovery mode, do Advanced -> Enable ADB, then using `adb` do:

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/drm of=/tmp/persist-lg.img
adb pull /tmp/persist-lg.img .

and send the resulting file to me privately (it has some device-specific stuff, but most importantly it has something to do with Wi-Fi.) I want to triple check this is the correct way to handle it.

After you extract that file, you can try this build: https://sourceforge.net/projects/li...oan/lineage-20.0-20230315-UNOFFICIAL-joan.zip
I wanted to state I just tried that build I havent had time to reformat this phone.. and now the wifi is working at least for me! :)

Delete WiFi Buggy Builds From LineageOS Servers?

I am now having the no wifi issue as others seem to have mentioned as well

please test this build, based on the information you two have given me I am almost certain this is the fix

WiFi is working on mine with this build. During the setup process I couldn't get it to connect to my network but once I was through that I was able to connect. Thank you!

Awesome, you'll see it in next week's official build.

@lifehackerhansol - Thank you for supporting these devices & fixing the WiFi issue. :cool:👍

Maybe you could ask for the buggy builds to be removed from the LineageOS servers ASAP so no other users waste their time with them?

Edit: maybe LOS dev @npjohnson could help with that?

Last edited:

shyguy88

Dec 30, 2016
Sorry for the late reply here, I can confirm as well that wifi is working now! Thank you very much!!

I decided in the end to format system/data and reinstall it clean to try running android without google (using Aurora store instead) just as a test to see how it goes, since this is basically now my secondary phone. So far, loving it! Thank you very much!

burdell

Mar 18, 2023
I'm trying to get the official LineageOS 20 build (the 2023-03-18 version) on a T-Mobile V30 (h932). I went through the unlock/root steps to get a rooted LG OS (that worked). I left the TWRP 3.2.3-7 in laf and put Lineage recovery in recovery. When I boot either, the device still shows up as "joan" rather than "h923", so I can't install Lineage (before reading enough, I did try the "joan" version, but of course that doesn't boot). Just looking at the recovery.img, I see this:

Code:
$ file recovery.img
recovery.img: Android bootimg, kernel (0x8000), ramdisk (0x1000000), page size: 4096, cmdline (androidboot.hardware=joan user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x37 ehci-hcd.park=3 lpm_levels.sleep_disabled=1 sched_enable_hmp=1 sche)

Does the "androidboot.hardware=joan" part not mean that it's actually the joan image rather than the h932 image?

If that's not it... why does it still think it's joan rather than h932? I see some references to a newer TWRP for h932, but not actual links to download.

lifehackerhansol

I'm trying to get the official LineageOS 20 build (the 2023-03-18 version) on a T-Mobile V30 (h932). I went through the unlock/root steps to get a rooted LG OS (that worked). I left the TWRP 3.2.3-7 in laf and put Lineage recovery in recovery. When I boot either, the device still shows up as "joan" rather than "h923", so I can't install Lineage (before reading enough, I did try the "joan" version, but of course that doesn't boot). Just looking at the recovery.img, I see this:

Code:
$ file recovery.img
recovery.img: Android bootimg, kernel (0x8000), ramdisk (0x1000000), page size: 4096, cmdline (androidboot.hardware=joan user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x37 ehci-hcd.park=3 lpm_levels.sleep_disabled=1 sched_enable_hmp=1 sche)

Does the "androidboot.hardware=joan" part not mean that it's actually the joan image rather than the h932 image?

If that's not it... why does it still think it's joan rather than h932? I see some references to a newer TWRP for h932, but not actual links to download.
The TWRP version from lafsploit unlock guide doesn't have H932 detection. It was always intended to be for the other V30 models that just happened to work with the H932 (and also back when we had one ROM for all devices.)

I tried to fix it in my new version of TWRP (which I made a separate forum post for) but I can't really test it because I don't have an H932. You could try that version, or just use LineageOS recovery which definitely works.

burdell

Mar 18, 2023
Hmm, I tried again, and it still fails. I did:
  1. downloaded Lineage image and recovery from https://download.lineageos.org/devices/h932/builds
  2. booted TWRP 3.2.3-7-default from LAF (vol-up+plug in USB)
  3. adb push to copy recovery.img to /tmp
  4. adb shell dd if=/tmp/recovery.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
  5. adb reboot -p (power off, just to start "cleaner"?)
  6. booted Lineage recovery (vol-down+power, briefly release power when LG logo came up, said yes at LG "factory reset" menus)
  7. did Factory reset->Format data/factory reset
  8. did Apply Update->Apply from ADB
  9. adb sideload lineage-20.0-20230318-nightly-h932-signed.zip
  10. Got "E3004: This package is for device: v30,h932; this device is joan."
I put your updated TWRP 3.7.0_9.0-20230318-UNOFFICIAL-joan in LAF and booted that, and that does see it as h932! With that, I was able to sideload Lineage h932 and MindTheGapps, and boot the installed OS. So I'd say whatever you did to your TWRP image yesterday needs to also be applied to Lineage's recovery. :)

Thanks!

burdell

Mar 18, 2023
Mobile data wasn't working though - sometimes it'd show connected, sometimes LTE, sometimes EDGE, then just go away. I changed Preferred network type to just be LTE and it connected and is working that way.

lifehackerhansol

1. downloaded Lineage image and recovery from https://download.lineageos.org/devices/h932/builds
  6. booted Lineage recovery (vol-down+power, briefly release power when LG logo came up, said yes at LG "factory reset" menus)
I put your updated TWRP 3.7.0_9.0-20230318-UNOFFICIAL-joan in LAF and booted that, and that does see it as h932! With that, I was able to sideload Lineage h932 and MindTheGapps, and boot the installed OS. So I'd say whatever you did to your TWRP image yesterday needs to also be applied to Lineage's recovery. :)

Thanks!
This is concerning. The reason LineageOS itself does not do what TWRP does is because TWRP is a single recovery for all devices, but LineageOS in fact cannot do it the way TWRP does because it breaks SafetyNet otherwise.

I'll look for a fix on the LineageOS side. Thanks for reporting.

lifehackerhansol

Mobile data wasn't working though - sometimes it'd show connected, sometimes LTE, sometimes EDGE, then just go away. I changed Preferred network type to just be LTE and it connected and is working that way.
This is probably the result of United States as a whole shutting down several frequencies to expand 5G, and thus there are not a whole lot of frequency bands that the V30 supports with most carriers anymore. You don't lose much from forcing LTE either way since 3G is pretty much gone and there's nothing worth picking up there.

lifehackerhansol

Thanks!
Actually, can you do me a favour, I want to see how this can be fixed, but I don't have an H932 to properly verify:

- Enable USB debugging and rooted debugging in Developer Options
- do `adb shell getprop ro.boot.vendor.lge.model.name`
- post output

If you could do so that would greatly help in figuring out what is going on.

Last edited:

lifehackerhansol

Is there one finally for H932 tmobile?
There always has been an H932 version. More accurately, before LineageOS was official, H932 and all other devices were able to use the same ROM.

Official LineageOS splits them back, though, because I didn't think official people would like how it worked.

That said, currently recovery is being kind of a ****, and while I worked around the issue that happened earlier today I would like a better fix that I can't provide without someone sending me the results of the above command... (or use TWRP.)

noddledizzy

Jan 31, 2019
There always has been an H932 version. More accurately, before LineageOS was official, H932 and all other devices were able to use the same ROM.

Official LineageOS splits them back, though, because I didn't think official people would like how it worked.

That said, currently recovery is being kind of a ****, and while I worked around the issue that happened earlier today I would like a better fix that I can't provide without someone sending me the results of the above command... (or use TWRP.)
I'm having a little bit of a trouble here. Turns out that needed to have the latest pie rom. Where can I flash one for US998 and H932? TWRP flashable links are dead.

burdell

Mar 18, 2023
Actually, can you do me a favour, I want to see how this can be fixed, but I don't have an H932 to properly verify:

- Enable USB debugging and rooted debugging in Developer Options
- do `adb shell getprop ro.boot.vendor.lge.model.name`
- post output

If you could do so that would greatly help in figuring out what is going on.
Code:
$ adb shell getprop ro.boot.vendor.lge.model.name
LG-H932

Hope that helps, let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nevermind. Running VS 996 is probably the problem. Will LGUP to US998.

Longtime V30 user. Always run stock firmware with TWRP flashed to recovery and rooted rooted with Magisk.

Really want to move to Lineage OS.

Current TWRP is 3.3.1.2.

Flashed Magisk 27.0 in TWRP then latest Lineage (lineage-21.0-20240225-nightly-joan-signed.zip.

Rebooted to system and enabled usb debugging. Can browse internal and external in windows file explorer.

Here is my problem: the phone desktop does not show any apps except phone, messaging, contacts, browser, music and settings. Magisk is not showing up anywhere, not even in hidden apps.

I am trying to connect via wireless debugging, which is enabled in Developer options but am getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

How do I get the rest of the apps (hidden apps) and Magisk onto the home screen?

Don't mind doing the research for myself if someone could just point me to a good tutorial for setting up this version of lineage on my V30.
    Your process is backwards. Last I remember (and it's been a long time since I installed Magisk), you are supposed to flash the ROM, and then Magisk. Otherwise the ROM will overwrite the hacks that Magisk does.
    2okpze5-png.5798241

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 13, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

* Your warranty is now void.
    (But I mean it's probably already void at this point... bleh.)

* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features
    * included in this ROM before flashing!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
    * YOU point the finger at us for messing up your device,
    * WE will laugh at you.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo.
    • If you would like to contribute to the upstream LineageOS project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.
    • If you would like to contribute to LineageOS for this device, please see the source code listed below.
    Instructions :
    Downloads :

Device source code:
    V30 development (including other ROMs) usually happens over at Telegram: https://t.me/LGEV30.
    • You can still use this thread for bug reports.
    Credits:
    • @SGCMarkus for all of the work with the V30 over the years
      • also a co-developer!
    • Slowhy (Android 12 maintenance)
    • @Log1cs for various suggestions, advice with the Snapdragon 835 and by definition our device
    • LineageOS team
    • @xxseva44 and @AShiningRay for Quad DAC panel updates and new features that aren't even present on stock!
      • Did you know they also maintain the LG G5/G6/V20 devices as well?
    Starting with next build (build ETA sometime this week), we are LineageOS 21.

New updates include:
    - Android 14
    - h932 and joan has been merged into joan. For all T-Mobile owners, please install the joan builds from now on.
    We're back to being unified, baby!
    - New Quad DAC features, courtesy of research by @xxseva44 and @AShiningRay!
    - Whatever else mentioned in https://lineageos.org/Changelog-28/

Thank you for continuing to use LineageOS.
    Hello everyone, it's been a while! I'm still kickin with this phone.

I'm happy to say that camera appears to have been fixed for next week's build. While I can't give a full guarantee, my testing has been fine, and various users over at Telegram have also reported that camera is now functioning after running a few tests with us.

I've updated the OP with the dates for next week's build. Stay tuned, happy hacking, do keep the issue reports flowing. (I did read the other issues, but I'm really not reproducing it with my device. Sorry...)

For other devs:
    Simpler(?) instructions:
    - H932: unlock bootloader here: https://xdaforums.com/t/3842550/
    - All others: unlock bootloader here: https://xdaforums.com/t/3790500/page-10#post-76584629
    - For all other devices, I highly recommend staying on US998/H930/H930DS/V300K firmware.

After bootloader unlock, do something to update to stock Pie first, be it LG UP or TWRP zip. KDZ seems to be more stable, however. Do NOT update recovery when doing this, and immediately reboot to recovery afterwards.

Then literally just go install the ROM in a recovery of your choice. LineageOS recovery strongly recommended as shown in the guide.
    Official build for NON-H932 devices (a.k.a. every other V30) is up!

Please note the following:
    • TWRP will work with no issues, but it may invalidate you from bug reports. I'll take what I can, though.
    • Region changing to a fastboot-capable region is HIGHLY recommended at this point (H930 for EU users, H930DS for dual-sim users, US998 for NA users, V300K for Korean model devices)
    • This build DOES NOT WORK ON H932 (T-Mobile) devices.
      • A separate build named h932 will appear in the following week.
      • Do not try to flash the joan build on T-Mobile devices, or you will need to flash back to stock ROM and redo lafsploit, and I'm sure no one wants to go through that. I already made someone accidentally do that and I really hope that was the last time it'll ever happen.