• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][4.3/4.4]ParanoidAndroid (AOSPA-legacy) for SPH-L720

Search This thread

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
DISCLAIMER:
Your device, your responsibility. I am not liable for anything you flash, including this.
As a result you'll probably want to read the rest of the thread and at least be aware of what you're flashing.
You've been warned.

Android Open Source Paranoid Android
SPH-L720 (jfltespr) using Official AOSPA-legacy repos
4.3/4.4 Base

Features:
AOSPA-legacy is the project headed by PA team member slick_rick to support other devices for PA beyond Nexus.
Only deviations are to allow it to build properly and are generally from CM repos.
Any modifications, enhancements, etc. will be brought in and supported through their Gerrit review process and/or Github pull requests into AOSPA-legacy repos.

Screenshots:
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Latest Build: Official (12/27/2013) - 4.00 Beta build. CM content has been updated by slick_rick.
Tar/ZIP Mirror: [4.3][ROM][OFFICIAL][4.3]AOSPA 3.9x for SPH-L720 (Team SXTP Site)
[4.3/4.4 Direct Access] Please head over to rwilco12.com for latest builds.
GApps: You can find them here among other locations.

Flash Instructions:
1) Back up your current system and all data if desired.
2) In your favorite custom recovery, wipe data, cache and dalvik.
If you want to flash the ZIP version you'll need to format system as well.
3) TAR - Boot to Odin Mode and flash via Odin.
ZIP - Flash ZIP in recovery
4) Flash GApps

For testing 4.4 a full wipe (system/data/cache/dalvik) is required to flash. You can try without but I'm neither recommending nor supporting it.

Summary Changelog:
Code:
 12/27/2013 (Pending) - Initial Bringup based on 4.4.
August - October 2013: Incremental builds based on repository changes.  You can track the changes at the repos below.
Test (8/6/13) - First build for SPH-L720 based on 4.3

Source:

PA Official Repositories (4.4)
PA Legacy Official Repositories (4.4)
PA Official Repositories (4.3)
CyanogenMod Official Repositories
Device Dependencies:
android_device_samsung_jf-common
android_device_samsung_msm8960-common
android_device_samsung_qcom-common

Credits:
Cyanogenmod, Inc. for their continued development efforts.
PA Core Team and slick_rick, ayysir as well as others supporting the AOSPA-legacy project
The crew that is Paranoid Android - Stay Paranoid!
If it's working this well, chances are they had a big hand in it!
...and of course! You, the community, for your support as well! Thank you!

Last edited:

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
I really need someone to verify the build functionality so I feel comfortable enough submitting the device specifics to PA and have it added to their repos. The build has a few issues but we're a lot better off now than we were even with 4.2.2 builds!

And as long as this goes I'll be replicating the process for the other relatives - USCC, Cricket and C-Spire.

fuunkychicken

Nov 29, 2011
Flashed it at around 2.30 this morning so not too much time with it lol. Everything seems pretty solid. The only thing I noticed so far is that when I have my home screen set up and HALO is enabled, swiping between the home screens are jittery. 4.2.2 was pretty smooth in that regard.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: garwynn

bboysmerf

Dec 4, 2006
reno, nv
Everything is working pretty good here....cannot get picture messaging to work and when you are in the settings to change your notification tiles....once you hit the back button to back out and error message that settings has stopped pops up...other then that running great so far

Reactions: garwynn

fuunkychicken

Nov 29, 2011
I also noticed that autobrightness doesn't work. At least not on my device. Awesome work this is a very well done 4.3 AOSPA ROM!

wotandsdwys

May 9, 2010
I'm gonna switch to twrp sometime today and try to flash this again. So far have not been able to get any 4.3 aosp rom to boot. Been using philztouch and wiping everything except for storage.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

G

GuestD0701

I'm gonna switch to twrp sometime today and try to flash this again. So far have not been able to get any 4.3 aosp rom to boot. Been using philztouch and wiping everything except for storage.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

That recovery won't work for 4.3 roms, has to be updated.. I use twrp 2.5.0.2 or Clockworkmods latest. Both work great. :)

osopol4r

Oct 1, 2012
www.guiascdma.com
No 3G on 4.3

Hi there! First of all I want to thank you garwynn for all your hard work in the community, it will always be appreciated.

Here is the story, I'm a Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 user. I have it activated on a CDMA network outside the USA. I have 3G with no problems until...

I flashed:
pa_jfltespr-3.96-20130814.zip
pa_gapps-full-4.3-20130815-signed.zip
No 3G :'(

then I flashed:
pa_jfltespr-3.93-20130806.zip
Still, no 3G :'(

I flashed back to:
pa_jfltespr-3.69-20130802.zip
Yeeey! 3G works great.

Then I thought maybe there is something wrong with the build. So I flashed another 4.3 ROM and still no 3G.
My conclusion is that 3G is not working with Android 4.3 for some reason. I tried changing the network type but no success.

Any suggestions?

KelevrA_8

Sep 21, 2010
Hi there! First of all I want to thank you garwynn for all your hard work in the community, it will always be appreciated.

Here is the story, I'm a Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 user. I have it activated on a CDMA network outside the USA. I have 3G with no problems until...

I flashed:
pa_jfltespr-3.96-20130814.zip
No 3G :'(

then I flashed:
pa_jfltespr-3.93-20130806.zip
Still, no 3G :'(

I flashed back to:
pa_jfltespr-3.69-20130802.zip
Yeeey! 3G works great.

Then I thought maybe there is something wrong with the build. So I flashed another 4.3 ROM and still no 3G.
My conclusion is that 3G is not working with Android 4.3 for some reason. I tried changing the network type but no success.

Any suggestions?

What recovery are you using?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

osopol4r

Oct 1, 2012
www.guiascdma.com
I would try a different recovery 2.6 is a little buggy... I would go with twrp 2.5.0.2 or cwm 6.0.3.6

Hi there, me again. I tried as you suggested but still no 3G on 4.3 :'(

I believe it has to do something with the apns or something, again, I tried changing the network type and still no 3G.

I'm going back to a 4.2 custom ROM until I figure out what's up. Thanks and any other suggestion is welcome.

G

GuestD0701

Hi there, me again. I tried as you suggested but still no 3G on 4.3 :'(

I believe it has to do something with the apns or something, again, I tried changing the network type and still no 3G.

I'm going back to a 4.2 custom ROM until I figure out what's up. Thanks and any other suggestion is welcome.

I can confirm LTE and 3G work, MMS works both ways as well. I'm a crackflasher but PA is definitely one of my fav roms! Tks garwynn!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1376713068977.jpg
    1376713068977.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 509
G

GuestD0701

So far I've had no issues at all using KTs kernel.. Using intellidemand & row.. :D

Sent from my Paranoid GSIV using KT kernel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER:
    Your device, your responsibility. I am not liable for anything you flash, including this.
    As a result you'll probably want to read the rest of the thread and at least be aware of what you're flashing.
    You've been warned.

Android Open Source Paranoid Android
    SPH-L720 (jfltespr) using Official AOSPA-legacy repos
    4.3/4.4 Base

Features:
    AOSPA-legacy is the project headed by PA team member slick_rick to support other devices for PA beyond Nexus.
    Only deviations are to allow it to build properly and are generally from CM repos.
    Any modifications, enhancements, etc. will be brought in and supported through their Gerrit review process and/or Github pull requests into AOSPA-legacy repos.

Screenshots:
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Latest Build: Official (12/27/2013) - 4.00 Beta build. CM content has been updated by slick_rick.
    Tar/ZIP Mirror: [4.3][ROM][OFFICIAL][4.3]AOSPA 3.9x for SPH-L720 (Team SXTP Site)
    [4.3/4.4 Direct Access] Please head over to rwilco12.com for latest builds.
    GApps: You can find them here among other locations.

Flash Instructions:
    1) Back up your current system and all data if desired.
    2) In your favorite custom recovery, wipe data, cache and dalvik.
    If you want to flash the ZIP version you'll need to format system as well.
    3) TAR - Boot to Odin Mode and flash via Odin.
    ZIP - Flash ZIP in recovery
    4) Flash GApps

For testing 4.4 a full wipe (system/data/cache/dalvik) is required to flash. You can try without but I'm neither recommending nor supporting it.

Summary Changelog:
    Code:
     12/27/2013 (Pending) - Initial Bringup based on 4.4.
    August - October 2013: Incremental builds based on repository changes.  You can track the changes at the repos below.
    Test (8/6/13) - First build for SPH-L720 based on 4.3

Source:

PA Official Repositories (4.4)
    PA Legacy Official Repositories (4.4)
    PA Official Repositories (4.3)
    CyanogenMod Official Repositories
    Device Dependencies:
    android_device_samsung_jf-common
    android_device_samsung_msm8960-common
    android_device_samsung_qcom-common

Credits:
    Cyanogenmod, Inc. for their continued development efforts.
    PA Core Team and slick_rick, ayysir as well as others supporting the AOSPA-legacy project
    The crew that is Paranoid Android - Stay Paranoid!
    If it's working this well, chances are they had a big hand in it!
    ...and of course! You, the community, for your support as well! Thank you!
    Okay... 3.98 build out. And based on the success of the past two I'm submitting it and it's relatives - US Cellular, C-Spire and Cricket - for official inclusion. It's to a point where I can now sync and build without any tweaks.

As usual, let me know if you run into issues with new versions but I'm very pleased with the progress on this!
    OK, first 4.4 build is out. OP updated to clarify the status as of 4.4 and how non-Nexus devices are treated in the new version.
    Download links also updated in OP so make sure to read it over again before you flash.
    You will need to wipe in order to flash this first one.
    If you don't, I'm going to tell you to re-flash and do this before I ask anything else.

Thanks and enjoy!
    I have a computer that can build but haven't been able to get PA configured to build. If you can guide I will certainly build for the device.

I built 3.99.1-MC1 but ran out of time to upload. Hoping to do tonight.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
    Any updates?

Sent from my SGH-L720 using Tapatalk

Not just yet. Been busy ever since I got back from CES and heard there were some issues earlier in the week that needed resolved.
    Should be able to try and build a new one towards the end of the week.