[ROM][OFFICIAL][9.0] Evervolv for HP Touchpad

Search This thread

AHChan1

May 28, 2021
I have done the install as directed above. My Touchpad boots to Evervolv with a clock on an otherwise blank screen. When I swipe up I get 11 resident apps. How do I access and download additional apps like Kindle Reader or SimplyE for library books? And, I am unable to add my gmail account via the settings app on the app page. The browser works, as does the calculator, calendar, gallery, and even the camera (upside down). Any guidance would be welcome. Thanks, Alan [email protected]

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Sigster

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Just playing with my old touchpad and installed this. Is it me or is this super laggy and essentially not useable?

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Just playing with my old touchpad and installed this. Is it me or is this super laggy and essentially not useable?
it all depends how it was flashed, or installed.
9 is set up to use a swap partition, just as webOS and every Computer Operating system ever created.
Also how many or types of Apps are install on a fresh 9 ROM installation ( bloatware )
Google Open Apps ( Play store ) slows down the tablet, for the many background services it uses to collect user data.
For a 10 year old device, with great sound speakers, wireless charging , perfect screen size and the many different ROMs available, still have a lot of uses.
The Tablet can be set up as a dedicated " specific" use device, once the App is running will perform just the same.
Here is a video of a super installation of Google Open Apps, is a killer and not to be use this way. But it shows that it can handle it and perform.
HP Touchpad Evervolv Pie Super Open Gapps

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
it all depends how it was flashed, or installed.
9 is set up to use a swap partition, just as webOS and every Computer Operating system ever created.
Also how many or types of Apps are install on a fresh 9 ROM installation ( bloatware )
Google Open Apps ( Play store ) slows down the tablet, for the many background services it uses to collect user data.
For a 10 year old device, with great sound speakers, wireless charging , perfect screen size and the many different ROMs available, still have a lot of uses.
The Tablet can be set up as a dedicated " specific" use device, once the App is running will perform just the same.
Here is a video of a super installation of Google Open Apps, is a killer and not to be use this way. But it shows that it can handle it and perform.
HP Touchpad Evervolv Pie Super Open Gapps

sq5

Jan 11, 2010
Does someone know how to re-activate some zram swap on either the stock or MAX kernel for this rom?

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Does someone know how to re-activate some zram swap on either the stock or MAX kernel for this rom?
What is zRAM? wikipedia
Only one swap space can be active: zRAM uses a portion of RAM to swap. The Tablet only has 1 GB and about 900 MB usable.
The swap partition use storage from the internal SD card, as WebOS does, providing more RAM.
To make changes to any Android ROM the RamDIsk must be unpack, fstab file must be edit and RamDisk repack then copy to /boot.
Here is a guide on how to unpack and repack the RamDisk:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-to-all-android-roms-for-tenderloin.3846567/
Here is a YouTube video:
The RamDisk is packed together with the Kerne , and it can be edited individually.
My suggestion:
To get the most RAM from the Tablet, it is best to flash the Android ROM only. ( Do not flash Google Open Apps )
Use Google alternatives example:
There is no need for the Play Store, which uses a lot of RAM.
https://www.bromite.org/
https://newpipe.net/

Reactions: sq5 and Gborg3

sq5

Jan 11, 2010
Good info HP_TOUCHPAD! I wasn't aware that android only allowed one active swap space, so running zrap swap along with the regular swap at different priorities is off the table. However, I would be interested to try zram swap alone still because I've had good results in with it in many applications on previous roms, and would prefer to avoid extra flash wear by writing to swap.

That youtube video you provided will be helpful, so thanks for that! Do you know how to first check if an android kernel is compiled with zram support before I work on modifying uImage?

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Good info HP_TOUCHPAD! I wasn't aware that android only allowed one active swap space, so running zrap swap along with the regular swap at different priorities is off the table.
That is correct, I did try that setting with no luck.
However, I would be interested to try zram swap alone still because I've had good results in with it in many applications on previous roms, and would prefer to avoid extra flash wear by writing to swap.
All the settings can be change easily and if you are familiar how Linux OS works then it will be a breeze!
Is your HP Toupad and you can modify it in any way you want and will not get brick. That is what make this Tablet so special, is truly YOURS !
That youtube video you provided will be helpful, so thanks for that! Do you know how to first check if an android kernel is compiled with zram support before I work on modifying uImage?
All Android stock kernels have the zram module enable. I did disable the modules in all of my modified kernels.

You can find all the information on these threads:
Novacom Repair ISO, you can unpack and repack the ramdisk. ( it can be run as a virtual mahine )
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/hp-touchpad-novacom-repair-android.3960435/

How to change the CPU speed:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-any-android-rom-for-the-hp-touchpad.3850492/

If you want to make changes to the kernel:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-recompile-the-hp-touchpad-android-kernel.3889025/

I did try playing around with zram, that is how I found out that activating a swap partitions provides better performance:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/hp-touchpad-antutu-benchmark-on-zram-size-and-speed.3851183/

The following change needs to be done in the fstab.tenderloin located in the ramdisk to enable zram: ( the size zram can be change to anything you want )

Code:
# zRAM
/dev/block/zram0            none        swap    defaults                        zramsize=134217728,max_comp_streams=2,notrim

Evervol 9 fstab with swap partition disabled and zram enable:
Code:
#<src>                    <mnt_point>    <type>    <mnt_flags and options>                    <fs_mgr_flags>
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13            /boot        ext3    ro,noatime,barrier=0                    recoveryonly
/dev/store/cm-system            /system        ext4    rw,errors=panic                        wait
/dev/store/cm-data            /data        f2fs    rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,inline_data,inline_xattr,inline_dentry    wait,check,formattable
/dev/store/cm-data            /data        ext4    nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,errors=panic    wait,check,formattable
/dev/store/cm-cache            /cache        f2fs    rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,inline_data,inline_xattr,inline_dentry    wait,check,formattable
/dev/store/cm-cache            /cache        ext4    nosuid,nodev,barrier=1                    wait,check,formattable
#/dev/store/swap                             none           swap    defaults                                                swapprio=1, 0    0

/devices/virtual/block/dm-6        auto        vfat    defaults                        voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto,nonremovable,encryptable=userdata

/devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0    auto        auto    defaults                        voldmanaged=usbdisk:auto,noemulatedsd
# zRAM
/dev/block/zram0            none        swap    defaults                        zramsize=134217728,max_comp_streams=2,notrim

Attachments

• evervol_9_ramdisk.png
    evervol_9_ramdisk.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: sq5

sq5

Jan 11, 2010
That is correct, I did try that setting with no luck.

All the settings can be change easily and if you are familiar how Linux OS works then it will be a breeze!
Is your HP Toupad and you can modify it in any way you want and will not get brick. That is what make this Tablet so special, is truly YOURS !

All Android stock kernels have the zram module enable. I did disable the modules in all of my modified kernels.

You can find all the information on these threads:
Novacom Repair ISO, you can unpack and repack the ramdisk. ( it can be run as a virtual mahine )
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/hp-touchpad-novacom-repair-android.3960435/

How to change the CPU speed:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-any-android-rom-for-the-hp-touchpad.3850492/

If you want to make changes to the kernel:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-recompile-the-hp-touchpad-android-kernel.3889025/

I did try playing around with zram, that is how I found out that activating a swap partitions provides better performance:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/hp-touchpad-antutu-benchmark-on-zram-size-and-speed.3851183/

The following change needs to be done in the fstab.tenderloin located in the ramdisk to enable zram: ( the size zram can be change to anything you want )

Code:
# zRAM

Evervol 9 fstab with swap partition disabled and zram enable:
Code:
#<src>                    <mnt_point>    <type>    <mnt_flags and options>                    <fs_mgr_flags>
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13            /boot        ext3    ro,noatime,barrier=0                    recoveryonly
/dev/store/cm-system            /system        ext4    rw,errors=panic                        wait
/dev/store/cm-data            /data        f2fs    rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,inline_data,inline_xattr,inline_dentry    wait,check,formattable
/dev/store/cm-data            /data        ext4    nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,errors=panic    wait,check,formattable
/dev/store/cm-cache            /cache        f2fs    rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,inline_data,inline_xattr,inline_dentry    wait,check,formattable
/dev/store/cm-cache            /cache        ext4    nosuid,nodev,barrier=1                    wait,check,formattable
#/dev/store/swap                             none           swap    defaults                                                swapprio=1, 0    0

/devices/virtual/block/dm-6        auto        vfat    defaults                        voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto,nonremovable,encryptable=userdata

/devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0    auto        auto    defaults                        voldmanaged=usbdisk:auto,noemulatedsd
# zRAM
Thank you for your excellent instructions, and for the bootable novacom repair tool you also created!

I finished rebuilding the ramdisk and it went smoothly. Unfortunately no zram swap appears after reboot. I think that the kernel provided by elginsk8r for this 9.0 build already had the zram module disabled entirely when the regular swap was added.

Is there a more stock kernel available for this rom? Otherwise I would need to find elginsk8r's kernel sources and figure out recompiling them.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
Thank you for your excellent instructions, and for the bootable novacom repair tool you also created!
You are very welcome!
I finished rebuilding the ramdisk and it went smoothly. Unfortunately no zram swap appears after reboot. I think that the kernel provided by elginsk8r for this 9.0 build already had the zram module disabled entirely when the regular swap was added.
I double-check that, and you are correct, the zRAM module was removed from the kernel.
Is there a more stock kernel available for this rom? Otherwise I would need to find elginsk8r's kernel sources and figure out recompiling them.
I rebuilt the kernel with the zRAM module, the following needs to be added to the file ( tenderloin_android_defconfig ) from the kernel source:
Code:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV=y
CONFIG_ZRAM=y
CONFIG_ZRAM_LZ4_COMPRESS=y
The attached file uImage_Android9_zRAM.zip needs to be extracted, then the file uImage.Android9_zRAM needs to be copy to the Tablet's /boot.
The file can be renamed only after uImage (dot).
If there is space in /boot two copies of Android 9 can be available.
The screenshot shows zRAM working using 127MB or RAM

Attachments

• uImage_Android9_zRAM.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 9
  • android9_zRAM.png
    android9_zRAM.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: sq5

gpzarquon

Aug 27, 2017
Hello There,
I've downloaded the latest image and unarchived it and placed it in CMINSTALL on my HP Touchpad - please can you never me know the Novacom CMD to install it ? Thank You

@elginsk8r
@HP_TOUCHPAD

I wanna thank you both for your great work on keeping this old fossil alive.

I got a 16GB Touchpad with Android 4.4.4 on it.
I didn't really used it for longer period.
When I looked up the XDA-pages for the Huawei Mediapad M3 I took a peek into the Touchpad area and was really excited to see how far development has come and immediately dived into this thread.
About 2 hrs. of reading later I couldn't resist.

I flashed:
• Automatic_Wipe_All_with_1GB_Swap
• Evervolv v9
• HpTp_MaXtreme_1836
• ROM Reducer
• Open Gapps Pico
• PowerOFF

All worked like a charm and the tablet runs astonishing smooth.
I deactivated all animations in developer settings so that it feels even snappier.
Running an Android 9 Version that smooth on such an old device is really amazing and unexpected.
Smooth always seen in context to the age of the device.

Of course it lags here and there but it's all way better than expected.

WLAN connection seems a bit slow from time to time.
Battery seems a bit drainy but I guess that's due to the high overclocking.

What I installed and tried out so far:
• Google Chrome (works with a bit laggy scrolling)
• Plex (plays 1080p buttersmooth)
• Prime Video (plays videos on optimal Quality)
• Twitch (plays 1080p60 streams with some lags)
• YouTube (plays smooth 1080p after buffering)
• Spotify (HQ audio stream without any problems)

• Firefox (keeps on crashing/freezing when starting)
• Home Assistant (starts but stuck on initializing connection
->but connection works via Chrome)
• Joyn (starts but streams are black screen / no sound)
• SkyGo (starts but app gives an error after login)

All in all still a quite usable device for media streaming
and use as a home automation display.

HP_TOUCHPAD

Jan 18, 2017
You are very welcome! And thanks for posting the feedback.
To get the most speed out of the Tablet, it can be setup without Open Gapps. Google services uses a lot of RAM and slows everything down.
There are a lot of Google Apps alternatives:
Flash any ROM and then just copy the *.apk files from PC to Tablet and install it.
A great open source web browser:
https://www.bromite.org/
Youtube alternative, without adds.
https://newpipe.net/

There is a LOT of info about the Tablet, here are the ones I have post it.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/search/52762189/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKoir6bzzPU-Uq9UjcRR3hw

There is active development to migrate the Tablet's kernel to a newer version:
https://forums.webosnation.com/luneos/332696-new-release-coming-2.html#post3458172

Reactions: Steelskinz

Shadowex3

Oct 27, 2010
@elginsk8r
@HP_TOUCHPAD

I wanna thank you both for your great work on keeping this old fossil alive.

I got a 16GB Touchpad with Android 4.4.4 on it.
I didn't really used it for longer period.
When I looked up the XDA-pages for the Huawei Mediapad M3 I took a peek into the Touchpad area and was really excited to see how far development has come and immediately dived into this thread.
About 2 hrs. of reading later I couldn't resist.

I flashed:
• Automatic_Wipe_All_with_1GB_Swap
• Evervolv v9
• HpTp_MaXtreme_1836
• ROM Reducer
• Open Gapps Pico
• PowerOFF

All worked like a charm and the tablet runs astonishing smooth.
I deactivated all animations in developer settings so that it feels even snappier.
Running an Android 9 Version that smooth on such an old device is really amazing and unexpected.
Smooth always seen in context to the age of the device.

Of course it lags here and there but it's all way better than expected.

WLAN connection seems a bit slow from time to time.
Battery seems a bit drainy but I guess that's due to the high overclocking.

What I installed and tried out so far:
• Google Chrome (works with a bit laggy scrolling)
• Plex (plays 1080p buttersmooth)
• Prime Video (plays videos on optimal Quality)
• Twitch (plays 1080p60 streams with some lags)
• YouTube (plays smooth 1080p after buffering)
• Spotify (HQ audio stream without any problems)

• Firefox (keeps on crashing/freezing when starting)
• Home Assistant (starts but stuck on initializing connection
->but connection works via Chrome)
• Joyn (starts but streams are black screen / no sound)
• SkyGo (starts but app gives an error after login)

All in all still a quite usable device for media streaming
and use as a home automation display.

That sounds like a pretty remarkable improvement from the last time I tried an android rom around 2018. Back then even with the extra swap it was unusably laggy, taking several minutes just to open or close even the most basic app and being completely incapable of running the sectograph widget.

If I can get mine to charge and boot it might just be good enough to serve as a home automation hud/control panel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I resumed this old tablet after a long time in which I came back to web os. Web OS is fluid but is empty and lacks of applications.
    So finally I come again back with android. I tried several options and evervolv without gapps is better.
    I'm using "via browser" for navigation (and I install the apks from apkmirror)

Thanks for your post
    Congratulations! For Re-using a device and not send it to a landfill.
    In my opinion, and Operating System is only as good as its available programs or applications. The OS, provides the hardware's functions to the software.
    The Tablet is old, but currently is more useful than when it was release in 2011. Back in those days, there were not many devices with Bluetooth, using Evervolv 7.1.2 the Tablet is the perfect streaming music DJ. There is no need to install Google Apps, with only NewPipe App, and it can play forever with no Advertisement.
    Back in 2011, the tablet need it to have a modem to be useful outside the house. At this time, a hotspot can be created with any smartphone and get connected.
    Back in 2011, storage was an issue with all the pictures and media files and having a 32gb or 64gb model was important. Now everything is on-line (the cloud) a 16gb model is as good as a 64gb.
    Now, powerbanks are very affordable and can be used with any device, the Tablet's battery does not hold much but just use a powerbank as a backup.
    The Tablet is a basic Linux laptop that provides Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, great speakers, Microphone and a very basic camera.
    Unfortunately, the majority of users are comparing this device with the latest gadgets of Tablets and smartphones.
    Thanks to all the developers that worked on porting Android and creating all the tools !
    In 2023 after 12 years, the HP Touchpad will be more useful than in any other time!
    For those that don't know what Evervolv is, Evervolv is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) rom aimed at Snapdragon powered devices. We're fully open sourced and encourage it with no restrictions. The work put into this rom is community driven and and Evervolv Project is made up of numerous members and contributors.

If you would like to contribute to Evervolv, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Current version: Based off 9.0 (Pie)

Features:
    • Extended PowerMenu
    • Battery %
    • Battery icon shapes
    • Volume button music control
    • Lineage Styles
    • Key rebinding
    • Expanded desktop

Bug Reporting:
    Please provide the following info:
    If the device was hard reboot, please provide the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
    If the device was soft reboot or is "bootlooping", please run a logcat and provide the full output.
    Please use EVPaste to post your logs.

Downloads:
    Available downloads

Source:
    Evervolv Github
    Branch: p-9..0

Changelog:
    Nightly changelogs are available on download page (EVUpdater too!)
    or you can view them at the Evervolv Gerrit

Bug list:
    • Bluetooth (In progress)
    • Camera (In progress)

Donations:
    If you wish to donate please do so here (Paypal)
    here you go. I'm going to recharge my device and make sure I posted the build I have running on my device.
    Finally got preview and image capture from the camera in pie, looks like it was shot using a potato but its a start. now to get bt working. Will push an update as soon as im done with a round of debugging
    Don't think we have forgotten about you guys. ;-P We have been busy bringing our daily devices up to snuff and learning the ins and outs of android 10. We currently are putting effort into breathing life back into this device. So far we have made some progress but nothing that is able to be tested (Not even at full boot yet). So hopefully in the coming weeks we will have something for you to play with. Don't hold your breath though, this device is fighting us tooth and nail.
    new build uploaded that actually boots, swap was added as well