[ROM][OFFICIAL][Android 11]ScorpionROM v4.4[Google Pixel 5][Redfin]

Search This thread

rafik25

Apr 26, 2011
Ici et ailleurs la terre est si vaste
You flashed an unreleased build, Pixel 5 is currently having some issues booting, that's why there hasn't been a post in this thread about an update. You will have to go back to February build if you want to keep using Scorpion.

If you, or anyone for that matter, flash anything that hasn't been posted, you do so at your own risk, just FYI
thx for infos ;)

rafik25

Apr 26, 2011
Ici et ailleurs la terre est si vaste
Hello AKG app is not compatible but in stock its ok why please ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210315-063529.png
    Screenshot_20210315-063529.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
How do I know which one is the latest officially released version ? When opening the download side, I see versions up to march 9th with version 4.3. As mentioned above these version cause some problems.
So probably the latest version 4.2 from february 4th ?
Can I use the boot.img from 2020/12/21 for an intial flash or do I have to use an updated version ? If yes, where can I get this ?
And a second thing. The developer wrote that after installing the february version, one also has to flash an update for the Franken-kernel.
So isn't there a kernel build in the rom zip file ?

Thanks a lot ...

Reactions: sleepyg72786

veedubrocks

Dec 23, 2011
How do I know which one is the latest officially released version ? When opening the download side, I see versions up to march 9th with version 4.3. As mentioned above these version cause some problems.
So probably the latest version 4.2 from february 4th ?
Can I use the boot.img from 2020/12/21 for an intial flash or do I have to use an updated version ? If yes, where can I get this ?
And a second thing. The developer wrote that after installing the february version, one also has to flash an update for the Franken-kernel.
So isn't there a kernel build in the rom zip file ?

Thanks a lot ...
Any March build is a no go. He always post his build when ready. Nothing was posted.
I guess there is issues with March booting up.

I've heard you can use that boot.img for Feb but I always go grab the updated one in the build itself. For that you do need to know how to extract .bin files with Payload.

My Feb build has the kernel built in (see attached)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210315-143628.png
    Screenshot_20210315-143628.png
    93 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: CrashTestDroid

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
Any March build is a no go. He always post his build when ready. Nothing was posted.
I guess there is issues with March booting up.

I've heard you can use that boot.img for Feb but I always go grab the updated one in the build itself. For that you do need to know how to extract .bin files with Payload.

My Feb build has the kernel built in (see attached)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, that's what I did yesterday evening. I extraced the boot.img from payload.bin and used that to flash, everything working

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
So march is now working just need to flash stock March vendor that will be fixed in coming days see scorpion or franken telegram for details
That's good news. Thanks for the ROM. It made switching from a Pixel 4a to the Pixel 5 much more easy for me, as I was used to some goodies from another custom rom, that I would miss from stock rom.
By the way, any chance, that call recording might be supported in a future release ?

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
I am on the last released feburary update and I have one issue using Whatsapp with this ROM.
When I try to play a voice note message within Whatsapp, then the playback has a low volume and is suffering from lots of drop offs. Parts of the message are repeated in short intervalls, there is also some kind of crackling or stuttering.
I opened the same voice note file (opus file type) using Cx File Explorer and there, playback volume was just fine and without any distortions.

Anyone having the same issues ?

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
Just to inform the rest of you. As mentioned in my last post, I have issues using Whatsapp while playing voice notes through speaker. I completely reset my phone, flashed latest stock rom to both slots. After this I reinstalled Scorpion ROM 4.2 and only installed WhatsApp, leading to the exact same sound problems.
Then I flashed another kernel (CleanSlate) and the problem was gone.
I also tried flashing the newest FrankenKernel. With this, the audio problems were back again but less intense as with the built in kernel in Scorpion 4.2 ROM.

So this seems to have something to do with the kernels architecture.

By the way, is there any possibility to boost up audio volume ? The crackling while playing voice notes is gone using another kernel, but still volume is much lower than directly playing the file inside Cx File Explorer, so WhatsApp seems to use another audio routing. I already tried Audio booster APPs, but they all only effect direct media playback but don't effect WhatsApp media playback for some reason.

Just to inform the rest of you. As mentioned in my last post, I have issues using Whatsapp while playing voice notes through speaker. I completely reset my phone, flashed latest stock rom to both slots. After this I reinstalled Scorpion ROM 4.2 and only installed WhatsApp, leading to the exact same sound problems.
Then I flashed another kernel (CleanSlate) and the problem was gone.
I also tried flashing the newest FrankenKernel. With this, the audio problems were back again but less intense as with the built in kernel in Scorpion 4.2 ROM.

So this seems to have something to do with the kernels architecture.

By the way, is there any possibility to boost up audio volume ? The crackling while playing voice notes is gone using another kernel, but still volume is much lower than directly playing the file inside Cx File Explorer, so WhatsApp seems to use another audio routing. I already tried Audio booster APPs, but they all only effect direct media playback but don't effect WhatsApp media playback for some reason.
Have you looked into Viper4Android or JamesDSP modules for Magisk?
I personally prefer and use Viper, it's excellent for boosting audio, gives you a good amount of control for changing your audio experience. If you choose to try Viper out, I'd recommend the 2.7.1.6 build from the official thread here on XDA. You could use the latest version 2.7.2.1, but it's kind of hit or miss with working correctly sometimes.

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
Have you looked into Viper4Android or JamesDSP modules for Magisk?
I personally prefer and use Viper, it's excellent for boosting audio, gives you a good amount of control for changing your audio experience. If you choose to try Viper out, I'd recommend the 2.7.1.6 build from the official thread here on XDA. You could use the latest version 2.7.2.1, but it's kind of hit or miss with working correctly sometimes.
I know Viper4Android back from Android 9 days. I tried it on the Pixel 4a where I wasn't able to get it to run. Maybe I will give it another try on the Pixel 5. Have you tested if the Sound and Volume inside WhatsApp is processed by Viper? I was using Wavelet for some time using legacy mode, wich worked quite well as a system wide EQ and Volume boost but WhatsApp Sound was not altered by it.
So you may try and go record a voice note and play it back inside WhatsApp and try to change the volume boost or EQ in Viper and see if you notice any change. I guess you won't as somehow WhatsApp uses a different Sound routing.
Regards, dewaldo79

Reactions: ProjectAlly
I know Viper4Android back from Android 9 days. I tried it on the Pixel 4a where I wasn't able to get it to run. Maybe I will give it another try on the Pixel 5. Have you tested if the Sound and Volume inside WhatsApp is processed by Viper? I was using Wavelet for some time using legacy mode, wich worked quite well as a system wide EQ and Volume boost but WhatsApp Sound was not altered by it.
So you may try and go record a voice note and play it back inside WhatsApp and try to change the volume boost or EQ in Viper and see if you notice any change. I guess you won't as somehow WhatsApp uses a different Sound routing.
Regards, dewaldo79
WhatsApp is covered! 👍

I've tested it out personally, V4a covers all sounds system wide. For me on Pixel 5, the Android 11 2.7.1.6 beta version of Viper4Android works best, haven't had one issue with it compared to the last version released. I have the file if you need it, it's part of my regular Magisk module flash tool kit, but it's easy enough to find in the official V4a thread, if you'd rather get it that way, someone has it posted there 🙂.

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
WhatsApp is covered! 👍

I've tested it out personally, V4a covers all sounds system wide. For me on Pixel 5, the Android 11 2.7.1.6 beta version of Viper4Android works best, haven't had one issue with it compared to the last version released. I have the file if you need it, it's part of my regular Magisk module flash tool kit, but it's easy enough to find in the official V4a thread, if you'd rather get it that way, someone has it posted there 🙂.
OK, I will give it a try. I am not that new to flashing, routing and stuff, but I am a bit unsure how to root my current Pixel 5 software setup.
I am on the last stable Scorpion release from february but as I am having sound problems (stuttering, crackling) inside WhatsApp if I am using the original FrankenKernel, I flashed the cleanslate kernel.
So, cleanslate kernel flashes itself using a boot-image, so I obviously can't use that one to root it with Magisk, as I can't extract the correct boot.img or am I wrong ?

Kind regards,
dewaldo79

andybones

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Devel
May 18, 2010
OK, I will give it a try. I am not that new to flashing, routing and stuff, but I am a bit unsure how to root my current Pixel 5 software setup.
I am on the last stable Scorpion release from february but as I am having sound problems (stuttering, crackling) inside WhatsApp if I am using the original FrankenKernel, I flashed the cleanslate kernel.
So, cleanslate kernel flashes itself using a boot-image, so I obviously can't use that one to root it with Magisk, as I can't extract the correct boot.img or am I wrong ?

Kind regards,
dewaldo79
You will stay rooted with Cleanslate.

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
I tried it Viper4Android now. I rooted the phone and first installed the last version 2.7.2.1 with no success because it uses enforcing privileges and does not work on the Pixel 5 on Android 11 so far.
After this I found the version you mentioned 2.7.1.6. This uses rights as system app and therefore works.
BUT. On my Pixel 5 it behaves like I expected, the voice notes within WhatsApp are NOT handled.

The Viper4Android seems to work on almost every app but WhatsApp voice note playback still doesn't work. It still has a very low volume.

I know that we are getting a little of thread topic here, but @ProjektAlly, could you please once more do a test with WhatsApp to be sure that it works for you.

Here is how you can test it:
In V4a app set automatic gain to max so almost every sound is played very loud.
Then set the media volume of the phone about 30%.
Now play a music file whatsoever and notice the playback volume. Stop the playback and open WhatsApp.
In WhatsApp send a voice message to anybody and then play back that message in the WhatsApp message window.

On my phone, the music is played very loud but I can hardly hear the voice message at all in that case.
The playback of the voice message isn't affected by Viper in my case.

I don't know how to boost the whatsapp voice note volume.
By the way, WhatsApp media sounds are affected. So when I send a message, the blob-sound in WhatsApp is amplified and treated by the EQ settings, only voice note playback isn't.

Last edited:

elong7681

May 23, 2015
US
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 5
I tried it Viper4Android now. I rooted the phone and first installed the last version 2.7.2.1 with no success because it uses enforcing privileges and does not work on the Pixel 5 on Android 11 so far.
After this I found the version you mentioned 2.7.1.6. This uses rights as system app and therefore works.
BUT. On my Pixel 5 it behaves like I expected, the voice notes within WhatsApp are NOT handled.

The Viper4Android seems to work on almost every app but WhatsApp voice note playback still doesn't work. It still has a very low volume.

I know that we are getting a little of thread topic here, but @ProjektAlly, could you please once more do a test with WhatsApp to be sure that it works for you.

Here is how you can test it:
In V4a app set automatic gain to max so almost every sound is played very loud.
Then set the media volume of the phone about 30%.
Now play a music file whatsoever and notice the playback volume. Stop the playback and open WhatsApp.
In WhatsApp send a voice message to anybody and then play back that message in the WhatsApp message window.

On my phone, the music is played very loud but I can hardly hear the voice message at all in that case.
The playback of the voice message isn't affected by Viper in my case.

I don't know how to boost the whatsapp voice note volume.
By the way, WhatsApp media sounds are affected. So when I send a message, the blob-sound in WhatsApp is amplified and treated by the EQ settings, only voice note playback isn't.
I have that Viper4Android version installed on my Pixel 5 it is working and my selinux is enforcing enforcing

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
Just checked, my system selinux state is permissive. I don't know of can just switch to enforcing in Android 11?
By the way I just updated Magisk to the latest canary Version 22101. Before I was using version 22107. After updating, Viper4Android stopped working due to driver Installation failure. I could not get it to work again. I flashed the 22107 version again, after that V4a was working again.
For now I am happy with this setup and as we are way off topic I suggest we wait for the next scorpionrom Release, hopefully soon.
Thanks to all on that little digression.

boomerams4l

Jan 16, 2013
We're there still problems with getting Scorpion Rom to boot with the newer monthly builds...should we expect an April build soon? I'm still on the February build since last I checked Scorpion was having issues. Not trying to be impatient, demanding, asking for an ETA or whatever just was wondering since I had some free time this week and wanted to update my phone. Been thinking about trying proton again but if there is a newer Scorpion build coming I'll just wait for that. Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Just checked, my system selinux state is permissive. I don't know of can just switch to enforcing in Android 11?
By the way I just updated Magisk to the latest canary Version 22101. Before I was using version 22107. After updating, Viper4Android stopped working due to driver Installation failure. I could not get it to work again. I flashed the 22107 version again, after that V4a was working again.
For now I am happy with this setup and as we are way off topic I suggest we wait for the next scorpionrom Release, hopefully soon.
Thanks to all on that little digression.
Check the telegram for more up to date info and scorpion March & April can both be flashed but they need a vendor flash to boot properly also.

dewaldo79

Oct 28, 2015
Can someone please write a short summary on how to flash the newest Update? I havr tried it once but was not able to boot up. Don't know the right order nor the correct fastboot commands to flash vendor part.
Thanks a lot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    test builds found here must flash april stock vendor ask if you need help

https://lab.dirtyrom.com/.tscorp11/
    Update regarding SELinux state and audio mods.
    I tried the way "boomerams41" described, but no luck. Viper4Android always tells me that no driver is present. When I choose YES, to install the drivers, an error messages is thrown, telling me that there was an unusal error while installing.
    I now switched to James DSP, which works with SELinux set to enforcing.
    But for some reason, the audio processing stops after 24 hours. Then I have to force close James DSP and restart it for the next 24 hours.
    All in all not a perfect solution.

Probably I will switch back to permissive, but for now I would rather see a working update for the scorpion ROM.
    I tried to follow the telegram group but for me there is way to much conversation there to find the right solution how to update to April version.

I tried it once to flash vendor after adb sideloading the new rom but ended up with an endless scropion boot animation. Then the screen unlock apears for short moment, then scorpion animation again and that's it.
    Maybe someone can wite a short summary on how to successfully update to the April version of the ROM from last stable february release.

Kind regards,

dewaldo79
    It's a fairly straight forward process:
    1) Flash April stock firmware to both slots
    2) Flash Scorpion boot.img to both slots
    3) Reboot recovery, factory reset and sideload the rom.zip
    4) While still in recovery, use the "Advanced" menu to get to fastbootd: Advanced/Enter fastboot
    5) Flash the stock vendor.img in fastbootd: fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    6) Reboot

I personally don't have the Pixel 5, but I've read enough in our chat about people having issues with flashing, hope you get it going.
    scorp_logo1.png

Feel The Sting!

Since we have no working TWRP for the Pixel 5, we have to flash with our own custom recovery. In the download section below, you will find a boot image and the ROM zip. You need to download both and follow the install instructions.

Downloads:
    https://lab.dirtyrom.com/scorp11/

Installation:
    For First Time Install, you must clean flash! Check the upload date, this will let you know which factory image you need to be on before flashing your device.

1) Plug the device into a PC and open a terminal
    2) adb reboot bootloader
    3) fastboot flash boot boot.img --slot all
    4) fastboot reboot-bootloader
    5) Using the device volume buttons, select Recovery Mode
    6) Use the custom recovery to Factory reset the device
    7) When it's done, select Apply update followed by Apply from ADB
    (This will allow you to sideload the ROM zip)
    8) adb sideload the_rom.zip
    **** Terminal will sit at 47%,wait and watch the phone let the phone finish it will take few min

If you need help flashing come to support chat and ask like a Human....
    Code:
    # Example (using a Wildcard shortcut)
    adb sideload S*.zip
    9) Reboot system and Enjoy

Contributors
    NepoRood, dabug123
    ROM Source: https://github.com/ScorpionRom
    Kernel Source:https://github.com/Dabug123/kernel_google_redbull
    Device Source:https://github.com/ScorpionRom-Devices

Version Information
    ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: AOSP, ABC, DU
    Current Stable Version: v4.x
    Stable Release Date: 2020-12-17

# Second Post

Additional Info

This rom is not meant to be the most feature filled, nor do we claim it is the fastest, or most streamlined. This is just a fun project for us to release our daily irritability.

Features:

GApps are included

Display Settings:
    QS panel:
    -Quick pulldown
    -QS rows and columns
    *Status bar
    -Battery Styles
    Lockscreen Weather
    Lockscreen tweaks:
    -Clock styles
    -Now Playing
    -Media art
    -Always on when charging

Gestures:
    Activate the Torch w/Power button
    Full Screen Gesture navigation
    Custom Gesture actions

Power Menu:
    Advanced Power menu (Restart, Recovery, Bootloader, SystemUI)
    Google Wallet

Other Info:
    Pixel Stand is charging only, stock features are mostly working just few left to fix up.

Join us on Telegram for the latest news and discussion: Link

Special Thanks
    Kdragon for kernel source,rom source and help when needed..

Credits:
    (In alphabetical order)
    @ezio84
    @Mazda
    @NYCHitman1
    The hard working people at ABC and DU
    And anyone I forgot...

# End
    OK, guys, I see you are not able to maintain a proper conversation here and to be honest I do not understand why as long as this is a forum for development, not a playground.

The developer is free sharing stuff, the users can discuss around it and have their opinion, this is how it works on every platform, what some of you do not realise is that even the Forum Rules no 2. Member conduct. and I am quoting it below
    2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Please don't direct profanity, sexually explicit language or other offensive content toward Members or their work. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.

2.2 Nudity: XDA is used by people of all ages, including minors. It is unacceptable to post nude or pornographic imagery, which includes the exposure of male or female genitalia and / or female breasts.

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

2.4 Personal attacks, racial, political and / or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive and therefore, none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.

2.5 All members are expected to read and adhere to the XDA rules.
    is there for a reason and even though is a long boring wall of text, a simple line may have been enough
    Be nice
    With that being said, further similar attempts to the below
    " ...you just got caught being an asshole... "
    " What an ass. "
    " make you look like a ****... "
    and also
    "Worst installation directions i have ever seen" that is nothing but disrespectful remarks without providing a little insight as why is that worse, what didn`t work for you and what would you like, will be addressed accordingly in private.

I`ll be watching this thread for a while, thanks for understanding and try to enjoy the forums!
    thread cleaned
    update:
    build is user build with a tons of changes i suggest clean flash

Change:
    live wallpapers
    pulse music
    hide pill
    Black ui switch
    adaptive sound
    aod fixes

system stability updates

Donate:
    https://paypal.me/FrankenKernel?locale.x=en_US

Downloads
    https://lab.dirtyrom.com/scorp11/Scorpion-v4.0-redfin-20201229-0208-Unofficial.zip
    update

Flashing:
    Franken is now built in but you need to flash the rom boot img one last time boot to du recovery and sideload.

In the future you can just skip the first step when updating if on rom kernel.

Downloads:
    https://lab.dirtyrom.com/scorp11/Scorpion-v4.0-redfin-20201219-0500-Unofficial.zip

Change:

-Lockscreen visulizer
    -Faster scolling
    -apps open faster
    -Franken built in kernel
    -check our gerrit and github for all the sting
    Update 4.2

Feb security

Changelog:

Huge changes:

Du themes
    cts/safetynet
    pulse
    aod
    advanced gestures
    much much more

Downloads
    https://lab.dirtyrom.com/scorp11/Scorpion-v4.2-redfin-20210204-1654-Official.zip

feb kernel need to flash after rom
    https://lab.dirtyrom.com/p5/FrankenKernel.P5.rise3.img

Donate
    https://paypal.me/FrankenKernel?locale.x=en_US
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone