• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [ROM][OFFICIAL][barbet] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread
I'm getting a Pixel 5a (barbet) on Tuesday of next week, is running LOS 18.1 worth it? I currently have a Razer Phone 2 (aura) and a Moto G4 Play (harpia) and both suffer from some quality of life issues, such as volume intensity, camera issues, flashlight issues and safety net issues. I have been running Cyanogenmod on my old devices and now Lineage on my new ones and I gotta say I love rooting and messing with my devices, but seeing as how I'm getting this phone brand new is it worth it to run Lineage right off the hop? From what I can tell from this thread the build runs great but I just want to make sure before I commit to it. So if any of you could provide me with any issues you are having with your device I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks guys!

Sep 25, 2015
Google Pixel 5a
I am currently running LOS 18.1 with pico Open Gapps and Magisk 23.0. I don't have much experience with stock Pixel 5a as I installed LOS the same day I got the phone. I have been running it for about 1.5 months and have had zero issues. I use the magisk modules recommended by aleasto in this forum to pass safety net. I run Google Camera version 8.3. The OTA updates have worked flawlessly. I do run Nova launcher as I prefer the way they implement app organization in the app drawer. A lot of the customizations I used to use root to achieve on my previous phones are already baked into LOS. My battery life has been very good too. My only major complaint about the OS is that it does not have native support for exfat formatted external drives, so I have to use a 3rd party app to be able to access external hard drives. This is made worse because of the phone's lack of micro SD slot. The main reason I got this phone is so I could install LOS. Otherwise, I would have gotten something that takes a micro SD card. Hope this info is helpful.

Zedicus

Apr 25, 2013
i used the stock OS for about 1 day before deciding to switch. The stock OS has really limited rotation features compared to Lineage. Most of the other things i disliked about the stock OS (gestures, app-settings) could all be changed but to get more advanced rotation settings that worked would take rooting anyway.

as far as lineage on the 5a, no complaints from me. It does all of the phone like things i expect, and can be used more like a regular computer than pretty much any other android distro.

Reactions: BTK19

rchris494

May 7, 2011
for me i have been on the stock rom for about 1 month. it is so buggy when you update apps from the google store. especially when you are using 3 button gestures. google maps locks up and you cant exit it if you update. google messages doesn't format correctly you get a big blank spot between the message window and the keyboard. half the time you get the notification sound of a text message. a lot of times you don't. i flashed the nov stock from again from the web and now. google play store doesnt update some of the apps i select. i'm kind of sorry i bought is phone. no custom roms. no TWRP. the phone is not faster or better than my HTC U11 6gb/128gb i came from. probably will never have twrp or a selection of custom roms due to pixel 6 coming out 1+ month later after 5a was released.

MrPolite

Aug 10, 2017
Google Pixel 5a
for me i have been on the stock rom for about 1 month. it is so buggy when you update apps from the google store. especially when you are using 3 button gestures. google maps locks up and you cant exit it if you update. google messages doesn't format correctly you get a big blank spot between the message window and the keyboard. half the time you get the notification sound of a text message. a lot of times you don't. i flashed the nov stock from again from the web and now. google play store doesnt update some of the apps i select. i'm kind of sorry i bought is phone. no custom roms. no TWRP. the phone is not faster or better than my HTC U11 6gb/128gb i came from. probably will never have twrp or a selection of custom roms due to pixel 6 coming out 1+ month later after 5a was released.
You're posting in the LOS 18.1 thread and everything you said is wrong, irrelevant and your own fault for not doing research before buying.

Jun 2, 2018
West Allis
Part of the reason that it doesn't have more custom ROMs is just the fact that the phone is pretty new still. All in all, I got the phone to be able to root, install a custom ROM if I so choose, etc. Mr. Polite is not wrong, you should have at the very least checked xda before buying the phone (or leasing). The only thing I regret is spending so much on the phone right before the 6 came out. But you live and you learn. I am willing to bet that two/3 years from now (hopefully) this phone will have some more roms. Until then I will continue to be supportive of the hard work that devs have put into getting a custom ROM onto the device. While it is nice to be able to have a plethora of ROMs to choose from, this takes time and dedication behind the scenes. Something much harder than hitting the download button and just being a little inconsiderate of the work it takes to even get an unofficial build out the door.

Even so, I have nothing but love for the device I currently have. I have had the OG Pixel XL, Pixel 3XL, and now the 5a. A little bit of a die-hard Google fan but still. I was curious what the LOS style looked like but what just busy taking the stock 12 for a drive first.

rchris494

May 7, 2011
Part of the reason that it doesn't have more custom ROMs is just the fact that the phone is pretty new still. All in all, I got the phone to be able to root, install a custom ROM if I so choose, etc. Mr. Polite is not wrong, you should have at the very least checked xda before buying the phone (or leasing). The only thing I regret is spending so much on the phone right before the 6 came out. But you live and you learn. I am willing to bet that two/3 years from now (hopefully) this phone will have some more roms. Until then I will continue to be supportive of the hard work that devs have put into getting a custom ROM onto the device. While it is nice to be able to have a plethora of ROMs to choose from, this takes time and dedication behind the scenes. Something much harder than hitting the download button and just being a little inconsiderate of the work it takes to even get an unofficial build out the door.

Even so, I have nothing but love for the device I currently have. I have had the OG Pixel XL, Pixel 3XL, and now the 5a. A little bit of a die-hard Google fan but still. I was curious what the LOS style looked like but what just busy taking the stock 12 for a drive first.
not taking credit away from or saying LOS is bad. at least they are first and hopefully of many more roms to come. my original post was about my view of the stock rom on the phone being garbage. maybe i should switch to LOS. the sad part is people who do this in their spare time do 10,000 times better job than someone making $200,000+ a year. yes i should have done my homework but i was forced off my HTC U11 because of AT&T blacklisting my phone even though the phone supported 4G phone calls if they actually whitelisted it.

i know a lot of work goes into creating roms. i tired once and realized that there is a lot to it. So i just gave up on it. Definitely not easy for a newbie to creating roms. Developers really deserve more credit than they actually get for all of their hard work. it took me 4 months to build a firmware for my LTE router and I still had to had to hand over my work the real developers to finish it off.

Jun 2, 2018
West Allis
not taking credit away from or saying LOS is bad. at least they are first and hopefully of many more roms to come. my original post was about my view of the stock rom on the phone being garbage. maybe i should switch to LOS. the sad part is people who do this in their spare time do 10,000 times better job than someone making $200,000+ a year. yes i should have done my homework but i was forced off my HTC U11 because of AT&T blacklisting my phone even though the phone supported 4G phone calls if they actually whitelisted it.

i know a lot of work goes into creating roms. i tired once and realized that there is a lot to it. So i just gave up on it. Definitely not easy for a newbie to creating roms. Developers really deserve more credit than they actually get for all of their hard work. it took me 4 months to build a firmware for my LTE router and I still had to had to hand over my work the real developers to finish it off.
True that man. Sorry I wasn't trying to dog on you. I wish I was at the level of building my own rom. I am more of a tech aficionado than anything lol.

So maybe I'm doing something wrong, but on stock android 12 I can't seem to get my phone to respond to fastboot or adb commands when I'm in the bootloader with it OEM unlocked. I'm new to pixel phones, is there some other step I may have missed while getting to the bootloader to install LOS? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dkryder

Sep 26, 2013
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 5a
So maybe I'm doing something wrong, but on stock android 12 I can't seem to get my phone to respond to fastboot or adb commands when I'm in the bootloader with it OEM unlocked. I'm new to pixel phones, is there some other step I may have missed while getting to the bootloader to install LOS? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
some things to check are using a different cable, using a different port, under usb connections i use PTP, make sure usb debugging is on and the permission is granted.

rchris494

May 7, 2011
install the USB drivers from the google pixel developer rom website. i had the same problem in the beginning. adb and fastboot would not issue commands to the phone in bootloader mode. also make sure you are using the latest adb and fastboot exe. i was using an older version that didnt seem to fully work when trying to root my pixel 5a. i'm also new to the pixel. so its been a learning curve. that always make me nervous because i dont want to brick the phone. probably want scares me away from LOS. ive bricked too many phone in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clemson_Engineer
Sep 25, 2015
Google Pixel 5a
install the USB drivers from the google pixel developer rom website. i had the same problem in the beginning. adb and fastboot would not issue commands to the phone in bootloader mode. also make sure you are using the latest adb and fastboot exe. i was using an older version that didnt seem to fully work when trying to root my pixel 5a. i'm also new to the pixel. so its been a learning curve. that always make me nervous because i dont want to brick the phone. probably want scares me away from LOS. ive bricked too many phone in my life.
I had the same issue with the drivers. Once I got the correct drivers, fastboot started working.

saibotnoob

Dec 8, 2021
Oh just get the official apk from apkmirror or similar. Latest stable version is 8.2.400
  1. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just bought a Pixel 5a and did my very first custom ROM installation today. The only apps I care about from the Pixel are it's camera (and maybe Google Maps). I'd like to avoid Google wherever possible. Is it possible for me to just download and install the apk for the camera and have it working or must I install MindTheGapps or Open Gapps? Can I just use Aurora Store from F-Droid instead, or will I run into problems later down the road?
  2. Also, since this is my first time flashing, when I was trying to flash a recovery image, I was initially met with an error because I flashed it on to boot_b and it kept telling me that the system was corrupted. I managed to get back into fastboot and flash the recovery onto boot_a. To be honest, I don't know how I got to boot_a, but that seemed like it worked since I have a running LOS on my phone right now, but I just want to make sure that I didn't do something that will screw me up in the future.
  3. Also, I loaded Magisk via `adb sideload` after booting up LineageOS my first time. I tried to do it before booting LineageOS for the first time, but I kept getting an error about it not being a .zip file. Will my Magisk persist if I update LOS or will I have install Magisk again? If so, what should I do to successfully sideload Magisk so that it will stay?

I'm sorry about all the questions! Just trying to learn and understand all of this.

Last edited:

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
  1. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just bought a Pixel 5a and did my very first custom ROM installation today. The only apps I care about from the Pixel are it's camera (and maybe Google Maps). I'd like to avoid Google wherever possible. Is it possible for me to just download and install the apk for the camera and have it working or must I install MindTheGapps or Open Gapps? Can I just use Aurora Store from F-Droid instead, or will I run into problems later down the road?
  2. Also, since this is my first time flashing, when I was trying to flash a recovery image, I was initially met with an error because I flashed it on to boot_b and it kept telling me that the system was corrupted. I managed to get back into fastboot and flash the recovery onto boot_a. To be honest, I don't know how I got to boot_a, but that seemed like it worked since I have a running LOS on my phone right now, but I just want to make sure that I didn't do something that will screw me up in the future.
  3. Also, I loaded Magisk via `adb sideload` after booting up LineageOS my first time. I tried to do it before booting LineageOS for the first time, but I kept getting an error about it not being a .zip file. Will my Magisk persist if I update LOS or will I have install Magisk again? If so, what should I do to successfully sideload Magisk so that it will stay?

I'm sorry about all the questions! Just trying to learn and understand all of this.
Google Camera won't start unless it detects google services are installed, so you'll need GApps (or, if i recall correctly, microG works too, but that's not maintained by us).

I think you'll be fine with Magisk, but you had better given the install guide a thorough read to avoid such inconveniences

saibotnoob

Dec 8, 2021
Google Camera won't start unless it detects google services are installed, so you'll need GApps (or, if i recall correctly, microG works too, but that's not maintained by us).

I think you'll be fine with Magisk, but you had better given the install guide a thorough read to avoid such inconveniences
Thanks! I was messing around with the ROM last night and noticed that the Camera kept on crashing when I tried to load it, but Google Maps still works, although it did prompt me to install Google Play Services, but I just hit the ignore button and had no issues. I wonder why Google Camera crashes but Google Maps works? Are there any alternative camera apps that are as good as the Google Camera app for the Pixel 5a?

I did read the installation guide, but was just curious about whether it would persist or not. Thank you for the link.

Also, regarding question 2, do you have any insights that you can offer? I don't know anything about boot_a and boot_b, and honestly it's just a stroke of luck that I was able to get back into fastboot and flash it again. I remember it saying boot_b the first time I flashed, then it became corrupted, and when I managed to get back into fastboot it somehow showed up as boot_a, so I decided to try and flash the recovery again and it seemed to work.

Sep 25, 2015
Google Pixel 5a
Thanks! I was messing around with the ROM last night and noticed that the Camera kept on crashing when I tried to load it, but Google Maps still works, although it did prompt me to install Google Play Services, but I just hit the ignore button and had no issues. I wonder why Google Camera crashes but Google Maps works? Are there any alternative camera apps that are as good as the Google Camera app for the Pixel 5a?

I did read the installation guide, but was just curious about whether it would persist or not. Thank you for the link.

Also, regarding question 2, do you have any insights that you can offer? I don't know anything about boot_a and boot_b, and honestly it's just a stroke of luck that I was able to get back into fastboot and flash it again. I remember it saying boot_b the first time I flashed, then it became corrupted, and when I managed to get back into fastboot it somehow showed up as boot_a, so I decided to try and flash the recovery again and it seemed to work.
My understanding is that magisk will not persist after an update. I simply changed the extension on the magisk file name to .zip and then was able to flash it before first boot. My magisk installation has persisted through updates to LOS. I don't know about the gcam question, I have only run LOS on phones with either nano gapps or micro G.

threeeye

Apr 4, 2010
USA
Hi,
I downloaded the latest build (12/09), I flashed the recovery, but I get boot loops trying to enter recovery...
Thanks for the help

jimmy16

Sep 5, 2009
Brasov
Hi,
I downloaded the latest build (12/09), I flashed the recovery, but I get boot loops trying to enter recovery...
Thanks for the help
I think the problem is bootloader A-B slot. I fixed this problem by flashing default android images provided by google. Wait until install and boot the images, reboot to bootloader and this time flashing the recovery and rom worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Will this rom be updated to support signature spoofing? I would like to use microg on this rom. Also, will there be a patch to get safety net working or has that finally been removed from the official magisk release?
    The universal SafetyNet module for Magisk did the trick for me. It forces basic attestation (basically makes the phone look like a low end phone to SafetyNet). I think that means that some apps may not give you like 4K HD quality, but I checked a few of the big ones (NetFlix, for example) and HD is working fine there. The only thing that kind of sucks is it occasionally just stops working and you have to fix it by resetting Google Play Services which breaks Google Wear synced connections. But that's the price we pay for using a decent OS. :-/
    So Safetynet only works with google play services installed?
    Yes, it's a Google Play feature.
    OK I am a bit new to all this. This is the first Google phone I have ever had so probably a dumb question but I am running the MicroG version of Lineage OS (lineage-18.1-20211116-microG-barbet) on my 5a and I really am enjoying the experience but I don't know if it is possible to lock the bootloader back after you unlock it and flashed LOS? Is it because the version of the ROM that I am using? Is it because I flashed the custom recovery with the ROM? Can I use Lineage OS with or without gapps but I would prefer not to use them if possible and be able to lock the bootloader back afterwards? I would like to be able to run this ROM on my phone but I worry about the phones security as a daily.
    Short answer: it's not possible.
    Longer answer: it's actually possible, but you need to obtain a signing certificate and would have to personally build/sign every new version of LOS with the certificate.

I would just add that the amount of security you gain from a locked bootloader is pretty negligible as long you (A) only ever install ROMs you trust and (B) always use a relatively strong *password* lock screen (so the encryption key to your data is secured better from offline attack). The locked bootloader just prevents you from flashing unsigned ROM images.

It'd be awesome if Google would help the OpenSource community by providing a mechanism for legitimate ROM builders, like LOS, to sign their ROMs with low or no cost, but they don't.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Informations :
    • This ROM uses source built kernel, kernel modules, boot kernel modules (vendor_boot) and vendor image.
    • This ROM bundles the latest firmware so you don't have to worry about updating firmware beforehand.
    • To use the eSIM you need to have GApps
    Instructions :
    • Download the latest recovery image and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot lineage-recovery.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Sideload LineageOS zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Sideload the addons
    • Reboot
    See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/barbet/install for more detailed instructions​
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/*
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • Google Play Store provides a very out of date version of Google Camera. You can use GoogleCamera.apk extracted from stock here
    Contributors
    aleasto
    The LineageOS team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    Official builds set to start on Thursday at https://download.lineageos.org/barbet
    Two update questions:

- I just got notice for OTA update. For the OTA updates, do we need to disable/uninstall Magisk before applying the update?

- Is there a way to do a Nandroid (or similar) backup in recovery before applying an update so we can roll back if it goes wrong?
    If you installed Magisk by sideloading in recovery it will persist the update. Otherwise you'll need to reinstall it after the update if you want to keep root.
    Source code temporarily on my github before it can be moved to the LineageOS organization
    Thanks for putting this together so quickly! I've been running for a couple of days now with MindTheGapps and haven't noticed any significant issues. I'm now pretty darn satisfied with my new 5a (Even though it's a friggin chonk). I'm on Visible and I was able to just pop my SIM card in and everything worked. Wifi calling, texting, 5G connection, etc - all good.

Only weird thing I've noticed is that after setting up fingerprints for device locksreen security I'm not able to then use fingerprint security within my other apps. For example - Chase app tells me "You haven't set up fingerprint sign in on this device", PayPal app says "We're having trouble confirming your fingerprint right now" and Bitwarden app doesn't present an option to enable "Unlock with Biometrics". So I'm using currrently using PINs for these apps which is a fine compromise for me - would be curious to know whether others have experienced this.

There have been some changes to SafetyNet in the past couple of days that tripped ctsProfile on my Pixel 4a running official LineageOS but I was able to pass SafetyNet check in this ROM by installing kdrag0n's Universal SafetyNet Fix v2.0.0 and using MagiskHide Props Config to set device fingerprint to Pixel 5.
    I doubt you need to set device fingerprint to Pixel 5 for safetynet.

Will fix fingerprint in apps in the next build now fixed