Development [ROM][OFFICIAL][barbet] LineageOS 20

Search This thread

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
I successfully flashed recovery but when I try to flash LineageOS I get the "device offline" error. adb devices shows no devices attached. Fastboot works and I can flash both recovery builds on the Lineage website, but again can't flash Lineage from ADB inside recovery.

adb.exe sideload lineage-18.1-20210930-nightly-barbet-signed.zip
adb: sideload connection failed: device offline
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method...
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: device offline

adb.exe devices
List of devices attached
On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.

Reactions: Slim2none4u

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
Yes I did that. It has the "cancel" option but it is not responsive to the host. I tried another PC. I tried Linux and Windows. I made sure I was running either adb admin (windows) and sudo as Linux. I tried "enable adb" and "mount system" options in recovery as well (in case there was something there). I also tried the old recovery that is on Sourceforge. I redownloaded latest SDK (adb) for both Windows and Linux.

So in summary, same behavior (no devices listed) with:
- Two different PCs
- Linux and Windows
- LineageOS recovery, all three versions for this device
- Fastboot works
- Latest ADB
- Entering recovery, apply update, apply from adb, look for "now send the package" message, only other option is "cancel"
- run the adb sideload command, device not found.

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
Two update questions:

- I just got notice for OTA update. For the OTA updates, do we need to disable/uninstall Magisk before applying the update?

- Is there a way to do a Nandroid (or similar) backup in recovery before applying an update so we can roll back if it goes wrong?
If you installed Magisk by sideloading in recovery it will persist the update. Otherwise you'll need to reinstall it after the update if you want to keep root.

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
@aleasto I just wanted to say thank you as this rom is so clean fluid, and fast. Much faster than stock Android. Camera quality is unreal. I was having a great experience on the Android 12 beta, but this is an even better experience. It's been a long time since I've had an Android device on lineage (or any custom OS), but your builds and the updates (as far as 10-14-21) have given me no issues whatsoever. I've retained root through every update and I'm still passing safetynet checks. Thanks again for all your hard work... For anyone curious, this is the best you can run on the Pixel 5a yet. 👍👍

Reactions: tlby

Pixel86

Aug 6, 2021
@aleasto I just wanted to say thank you as this rom is so clean fluid, and fast. Much faster than stock Android. Camera quality is unreal. I was having a great experience on the Android 12 beta, but this is an even better experience. It's been a long time since I've had an Android device on lineage (or any custom OS), but your builds and the updates (as far as 10-14-21) have given me no issues whatsoever. I've retained root through every update and I'm still passing safetynet checks. Thanks again for all your hard work... For anyone curious, this is the best you can run on the Pixel 5a yet. 👍👍
To pass SafetyNet, do I need to install Magisk? I guess my real question is, does Lineage 18.1 pass SafetyNet out of the box, without root?

MrPolite

Aug 10, 2017
Google Pixel 5a
Need a bit of direction. I've been running the 10/14 build and it's great. But my sideload of the 10/28 build wont boot...

Do i need the latest corresponding recovery image, or was using the older recovery image with the newer build not the problem?
TIA

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
Need a bit of direction. I've been running the 10/14 build and it's great. But my sideload of the 10/28 build wont boot...

Do i need the latest corresponding recovery image, or was using the older recovery image with the newer build not the problem?
TIA
Use the Updater app for updating. Otherwise you need to manually reinstall all your addons (namely, gapps)

Reactions: MrPolite

MrPolite

Aug 10, 2017
Google Pixel 5a
Night Light
The red shift intensity is less on this phone, compared to LOS 18.1-10/21 on my LG-V20.

I have my linux computer's monitor at 2700K and I can turn my LG's screen to the same color with the slider at about 90%.

2700k is the color of a candle flame. The burning light our species evolved with.

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
Night Light
The red shift intensity is less on this phone, compared to LOS 18.1-10/21 on my LG-V20.

I have my linux computer's monitor at 2700K and I can turn my LG's screen to the same color with the slider at about 90%.

2700k is the color of a candle flame. The burning light our species evolved with.
Not entirely sure why, but the slider for Pixel 5a is configured to range 2596~4082 (that's default on AOSP) while on the V20 it was lowered to 1200~4082

MrPolite

Aug 10, 2017
Google Pixel 5a
Not entirely sure why, but the slider for Pixel 5a is configured to range 2596~4082 (that's default on AOSP) while on the V20 it was lowered to 1200~4082
Interesting, thanks for looking into it.
I did
Code:
adb shell settings list secure
and got this on the LG
Code:
night_display_color_temperature=1430

I'm guessing this needs to be changed at the kernel level, which is beyond my hardware and technical abilities.

Super Jamie

Oct 2, 2009
Thank you aleasto for building this image. It's so hard to get a good phone with a headphone jack these days. I sent some money via PayPal to show my appreciation.

I wasn't able to install following the instructions from the LineageOS wiki, so I hope my solution below saves someone else some time too.

When doing the Factory Reset step, I kept getting an error E:can't send spi message: Try again. Then trying to flash LineageOS failed with message Logical partitions are mapped. Please reboot recovery before installing an OTA update.

The solution is to disable Verified Boot as described here: https://xdaforums.com/t/read-this-before-updating.4356221/

Doing Factory Reset still throws the spi message, but it works. I could then sideload LineageOS, reboot into recovery and sideload Open GApps. Reboot and do the usual LineageOS setup. All good.

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thank you aleasto for building this image. It's so hard to get a good phone with a headphone jack these days. I sent some money via PayPal to show my appreciation.

I wasn't able to install following the instructions from the LineageOS wiki, so I hope my solution below saves someone else some time too.

When doing the Factory Reset step, I kept getting an error E:can't send spi message: Try again. Then trying to flash LineageOS failed with message Logical partitions are mapped. Please reboot recovery before installing an OTA update.

The solution is to disable Verified Boot as described here: https://xdaforums.com/t/read-this-before-updating.4356221/

Doing Factory Reset still throws the spi message, but it works. I could then sideload LineageOS, reboot into recovery and sideload Open GApps. Reboot and do the usual LineageOS setup. All good.
You don't need to do that, it was only a coincidence. As the message suggested you just had to reboot to recovery before you could sideload LineageOS (you probably hit Mount/unmount system or tried to sideload some different zip before LineageOS, and it needed a clean reboot).

I appreciate the tip.

Super Jamie

Oct 2, 2009
You don't need to do that, it was only a coincidence. As the message suggested you just had to reboot to recovery before you could sideload LineageOS (you probably hit Mount/unmount system or tried to sideload some different zip before LineageOS, and it needed a clean reboot).

I appreciate the tip.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I saw others say they solved the same problem by rebooting into recovery multiple times. I tried 3 times in a row but no luck. I guess the boot where I flashed vbmeta just happened to be the one that worked. I definitely hadn't tried to flash anything before, all I had downloaded to flash was LineageOS and GApps. Never mind, it all worked in the end :) Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Informations :
    • This ROM uses source built kernel, kernel modules, boot kernel modules (vendor_boot) and vendor image.
    • This ROM bundles the latest firmware so you don't have to worry about updating firmware.
    • To use the eSIM you need to have GApps
    Instructions :
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/*
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • Google Play Store provides a very out of date version of Google Camera. You can use GoogleCamera.apk extracted from stock here
    Contributors
    mikeioannina
    aleasto
    The LineageOS team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 13
    Two update questions:

- I just got notice for OTA update. For the OTA updates, do we need to disable/uninstall Magisk before applying the update?

- Is there a way to do a Nandroid (or similar) backup in recovery before applying an update so we can roll back if it goes wrong?
    If you installed Magisk by sideloading in recovery it will persist the update. Otherwise you'll need to reinstall it after the update if you want to keep root.
    Official builds set to start on Thursday at https://download.lineageos.org/barbet
    Source code temporarily on my github before it can be moved to the LineageOS organization
    New build with new kernel experiments targeting official release.
    Please test and report whether audio works still: