• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][bramble] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5

mlolz93

Sep 10, 2015
im stuck on how to install magisk, i've moved from using dic1191's lineageos microg rom to this one and i dont know where to find boot image...

appro77

May 8, 2011
Mackay
Just to be crystal clear here:

To patch for root with Magisk you patch (with the Magisk app) the original boot.img from the Pixel 4A5G/Bramble factory image .zip (From July, the 11.0.0 (RQ3A.210705.001, Jul 2021) , then
Code:
 fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
from fastboot, right?
Post #223 says to sideload the magisk apk. I'm pretty sure that's what I did the last time I installed and rooted this rom. hth.

lmt1979

Feb 23, 2010
Havelock
Post #223 says to sideload the magisk apk. I'm pretty sure that's what I did the last time I installed and rooted this rom. hth.
Installing an .apk doesn't usually actually root the device unless something has changed again. I can install Root Explorer for instance, but that doesn't mean I actually have root. I just did the "Upgrade" to the 7-18 build and restarted and as expected I lost root.

The magisk app was installed normally via gui in the OS before the upgrade. I did not "sideload" it.

Is there any advantage to sideloading the magisk app versus installing it via gui and then extracting, patching and flashing the patched boot.img as has been done before? For some reason I've got this thought that I need to patch the boot.img and then flash it via fastboot to fully install magisk and acquire root.

appro77

May 8, 2011
Mackay
Installing an .apk doesn't usually actually root the device unless something has changed again. I can install Root Explorer for instance, but that doesn't mean I actually have root. I just did the "Upgrade" to the 7-18 build and restarted and as expected I lost root.

The magisk app was installed normally via gui in the OS before the upgrade. I did not "sideload" it.

Is there any advantage to sideloading the magisk app versus installing it via gui and then extracting, patching and flashing the patched boot.img as has been done before?
As far as I can remember, I sideloaded magisk and then used the usual method in magisk to root. I didn't flash a patched boot image like you do if you are rooting the stock rom.

I'm thinking of flashing this rom again today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. :) Wish my memory was better. Sorry. Android 12 B3 is doing my head in so it's back to LOS by the look of it.

lmt1979

Feb 23, 2010
Havelock
As far as I can remember, I sideloaded magisk and then used the usual method in magisk to root. I didn't flash a patched boot image like you do if you are rooting the stock rom.

I'm thinking of flashing this rom again today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. :) Wish my memory was better. Sorry. Android 12 B3 is doing my head in so it's back to LOS by the look of it.
Just did the patching of the boot.img from the factory pixel july image, then fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img from fastboot mode and I have root again. Tested Viper4Android, Root Explorer, AdAway and after allowing root (from the prompt) all seems good again and now my build shows the July update.

Night mode is still crashing the camera app if anyone has a solution to that it would be great. I can help anyone with Viper4Android if they're having issues with it. I have a .zip I flash in magisk and it works everytime not audio modification library add on BS.

Here is an old "how to" thread as I can't remember how to do this stuff almost immediately after doing it.

Fall 2020 walkthrough

Thanks for everyone here for helping each other out. Lineage is great, but damn do I miss trying other ROMs...there just aren't any, thank god Lineage is still going.

In case anyone was wondering I was on the March build of the Rom and did the built in updater for Lineage. It took a while, but all I had to do was reflash the patched boot.img from the July Pixel image and I was good to go.

Last edited:

appro77

May 8, 2011
Mackay
Just did the patching of the boot.img from the factory pixel july image, then fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img from fastboot mode and I have root again. Tested Viper4Android, Root Explorer, AdAway and after allowing root (from the prompt) all seems good again and now my build shows the July update.

Night mode is still crashing the camera app if anyone has a solution to that it would be great. I can help anyone with Viper4Android if they're having issues with it. I have a .zip I flash in magisk and it works everytime not audio modification library add on BS.

Here is an old "how to" thread as I can't remember how to do this stuff almost immediately after doing it.

Fall 2020 walkthrough

Thanks for everyone here for helping each other out. Lineage is great, but damn do I miss trying other ROMs...there just aren't any, thank god Lineage is still going.
Great that you got it working. I'll see how I go today. wrt the camera, if you want night mode working you have to flash an older version of the Google camera app. I can't remember the version but it you search this thread for "camera" you'll find it.

Reactions: lmt1979

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5

Fall 2020 walkthrough

In case anyone was wondering I was on the March build of the Rom and did the built in updater for Lineage. It took a while, but all I had to do was reflash the patched boot.img from the July Pixel image and I was good to go.
No you should absolutely not use the factory images.
Restore the LineageOS boot.img (it's the lineage recovery image you can find on the download page), then just do adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.apk in recovery.

Last edited:

lmt1979

Feb 23, 2010
Havelock
No you should absolutely not use the factory images.
Restore the LineageOS boot.img (it's the lineage recovery image you can find on the download page), then just do adb sideload Magisk-v23.0.apk in recovery.

Forgive me, but isn't sideloading an apk just installing it? Or is it installing as a "system/app" when side loading instead of putting it in like "data/app"? I definitely have root with my wrong method. I thought magisk needed the boot.img modified to get/keep root these days. There's been a ton of changes in the last few years especially with the whole a/b partition nightmare and I don't flash as much mostly from lack of roms.

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
Forgive me, but isn't sideloading an apk just installing it? Or is it installing as a "system/app" when side loading instead of putting it in like "data/app"? I definitely have root with my wrong method. I thought magisk needed the boot.img modified to get/keep root these days. There's been a ton of changes in the last few years especially with the whole a/b partition nightmare and I don't flash as much mostly from lack of roms.
Any apk is just a zip file. Magisk apk is a zip file which when SIDELOADED IN RECOVERY will patch your current boot.img.

lmt1979

Feb 23, 2010
Havelock
Any apk is just a zip file. Magisk apk is a zip file which when SIDELOADED IN RECOVERY will patch your current boot.img.

I understand the apk as I used to modify them. But wow thank you for explaining sideloading Magisk in lineage recovery. I have NEVER seen that functionality explained anywhere else. For years and years we flashed zips from a recovery and if you didn't like the ROM or mod, hell 5 minutes and you could restore backups. I kinda miss twrp. Do you know if lineage's recovery plans to allow full system and data backups (full configured roms") ?
Thanks again.

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
I understand the apk as I used to modify them. But wow thank you for explaining sideloading Magisk in lineage recovery. I have NEVER seen that functionality explained anywhere else. For years and years we flashed zips from a recovery and if you didn't like the ROM or mod, hell 5 minutes and you could restore backups. I kinda miss twrp. Do you know if lineage's recovery plans to allow full system and data backups (full configured roms") ?
Thanks again.
No.
You can use the built-in backup provider Seedvault for most stuff (Settings > System > Backup).

appro77

May 8, 2011
Mackay
I've done something stupid and flashed an incompatible magisk module that has put me into a bootloop.

Is there any way to use the LineageOS Recovery to uninstall the problem magisk module?

I've Googled and found that it can be done with TWRP but we don't have TWRP unfortunately. :(

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
I've done something stupid and flashed an incompatible magisk module that has put me into a bootloop.

Is there any way to use the LineageOS Recovery to uninstall the problem magisk module?

I've Googled and found that it can be done with TWRP but we don't have TWRP unfortunately. :(
fastboot flash boot lineage-recovery.img, reboot
adb root adb shell cd /data/adb/modules
find and rm -rf the folder of that module,
reinstall magisk

Reactions: hajkan and Meowdib

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Regarding Google Camera, I've made a magisk module to easily fix the Night mode crash. Get it here.

Regarding the recent SafetyNet breakage, you can install this magisk module together with the Universal SafetyNet module. (There are many other fixes flying around, feel free to use which ever you want.)
    I updated to the 29 August version today and now I don't pass Safety Net where I did before. I'm using Universal SafetyNet Fix v1.2.0 with Magisk f822ca5b (23001). Is anyone else having this issue? How do I correct?
    Install this magisk module, together with the universal safetynet fix
    EDIT: Changed the fix, should give less side effects now
    Thanks, "but"...

If the crash is "only" Gcam not accepting alphanumerics in build version ( as described in https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-xl-blueline-crosshatch.4185847/post-85209615 - which corresponds to your changes via system.prop ), can this also be fixed for the plain LineageOS-ROM, I.e users without Magisk? Or does LineageOS mandate the full build number?
    Yes, the fix for plain LineageOS is pending approval.
    Does anyone have any issue with sending SMS with the latest (August 1ts) bramble?
    I noticed this yesterday. Had to delete the text and send again
    Regarding Google Camera, I've made a magisk module to easily fix the Night mode crash. Get it here.

Regarding the recent SafetyNet breakage, you can install this magisk module together with the Universal SafetyNet module. (There are many other fixes flying around, feel free to use which ever you want.)
    Both of those modules worked for me. Thanks.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various proprietary hardware-specific code.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Informations :
    • This ROM uses source built kernel, kernel modules, boot kernel modules (vendor_boot) and vendor image.
    • This ROM bundles the latest firmware so you don't have to worry about updating firmware beforehand.
    • To use the eSIM you need to have GApps
    Instructions :
    • Download the latest recovery image and rom zip
    • Boot to bootloader
    • fastboot flash boot lineage-recovery.img
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format data
    • Sideload LineageOS zip
    • Optionally flash any addons:
      • Advanced > Reboot to recovery
      • Sideload the addons
    • Reboot
    See https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/bramble/install for more detailed instructions​
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/* (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved.

Known Issues
    • Stock Google Camera app crashes in Night Mode or Astrophotography. As a workaround, install this magisk module.
    Contributors
    aleasto
    The LineageOS team

Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    New build out
    • Feb 2021 security patch
    • Update modem firmware from the T-Mobile factory images to enable 5G Standalone.
      Google only did this for T-Mobile images (RQ1C.210205.006), but it doesn't seem to negatively affect non T-Mobile users, thus I'm including it in the generic build (RQ1A.210205.004 based).
    Bluetooth HD Audio fixed in the next build
    Ok, thanks. I will give it a try soon
    But may i ask if you have plans on being an official maintainer?
    Yes, this will become official once we're ready to ship LineageOS 18
    New build out
    Enable Adaptive Sound, Live Captions, Now Playing, Screen Attention pixel features.
    These all work without gapps, and all process data offline.