Hi again.Okay, to stop myself going round in circles can someone please clarify / confirm the following:
1. Do I HAVE TO flash stock Oreo before using any of the later Lineage releases (16.0, 18.1)?
2. If I do how do I do that? I am after straightforward and complete instructions (I have read about backing up the IMEI and passing safetynet - it's unclear to me whether these are necessary considerations).
3. What is the difference between 16.0 and 18.1 in terms of security? I see 18.1 is 'official' and 16.1 'unofficial', what does this mean?
4. It may be easier (I just want something straightforward) to go back to Lineage 14.1 (which I had been using for ages) but it seems that if I do this after flashing LOS 18.1 there may be issues. What issues?
What I did was:
• My phone was running Lineage 14.1 unofficial.
• I flashed LOS 18.1 using an old version of TWRP (non-64 bit I think).
• There are however problems with system time; GPS (it works but not with certain apps); and system speed i.e. it seems slow.
• I would like to look at alternatives but want to do it properly.
Any help much appreciated, thanks.
Some other things adding to what I replied in the other thread:
1. You have to flash stock only when switching from a7/a8 to a9-or-later or from a9-or-later to a7/a8. Some issues might appear if you don't do so are fingerprint functionality lost, loudspeaker calls and I don't know what else.
2. Back up efs and persist with twrp 3.5.2 or later only once, not needed every time you flash a ROM. But remember where you save the back up. More-than-one place is recommended. e.g sd and pc.
3. Read the other thread.
4. As you aren't sure what your current firmware base is, I suggest you to upgrade twrp, then install twrp-flashable stock and the rom you want. (stock version depends on what rom you are willing to install).