• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][cedric][11] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

fantomasBR

Sep 23, 2021
That message will appear every time you start twrp for the first time or after formatting/wiping data. You swipe right to enable writing to the system partition as it states.

Also the instructions for this rom are to use lineage recovery as stated on the 1st post

You also need to be on oero stock firmware (preferably the latest retail)

Make sure you have formatted data (different from wipe data), rebooted to recovery and wipe system data cache before you flash the rom
in that case do I have to install the stock ROM first and then the Lineage OS?

oldfone

Nov 12, 2020
Moto E 2015
Moto G5
I have TWRP and Mint installed and am looking to move to LOS 18.1 or StellarOS. It seem like I should need to revert to stock. If this is indeed the case, should this be mentioned in the instructions at the top of the thread?

matiusuario

Nov 18, 2020
I have TWRP and Mint installed and am looking to move to LOS 18.1 or StellarOS. It seem like I should need to revert to stock. If this is indeed the case, should this be mentioned in the instructions at the top of the thread?
In order to change ROM between Pie or later versions it is not necessary to install stock first.
If you can't use fingerprint then you do need to flash stock first (twrp flashable works fine).
If you switch from Nougat or Oreo custom ROM to Pie or later then you need to install the proper stock ROM before.

Reactions: oldfone

oldfone

Nov 12, 2020
Moto E 2015
Moto G5
In order to change ROM between Pie or later versions it is not necessary to install stock first.
If you can't use fingerprint then you do need to flash stock first (twrp flashable works fine).
If you switch from Nougat or Oreo custom ROM to Pie or later then you need to install the proper stock ROM before.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. My fingerprint sensor works with LOS 17.1, so looks like I don't need stock. Reading the instructions again, it seems that they are for a first install, rather than for an update from another custom ROM.

So is the formatting system and doing a factory reset also necessary? And doesn't a factory reset automatically format system anayway?

nift4

May 22, 2019
nift4.github.io
Moto G5
F(x)tec Pro1
Thanks for clarifying that for me. My fingerprint sensor works with LOS 17.1, so looks like I don't need stock. Reading the instructions again, it seems that they are for a first install, rather than for an update from another custom ROM.

So is the formatting system and doing a factory reset also necessary? And doesn't a factory reset automatically format system anayway?
Both are neccesary and factory reset actually just deletes userdata

oldfone

Nov 12, 2020
Moto E 2015
Moto G5
This is a bit off-topic, but before updating to LOS 18.1, I am looking at my non-Google backup options. Seedvault backup to a local Nextcloud instance would be one option, but it seems that you have to restore the entire backup and cannot restore individual apps. Also, in my case the backup process keeps failing to upload some files, so it is a little difficult to see which apps have actually been successfully backed up. Moreover, there does not seem to be an option within Seedvault to initiate a restore , which would be nice so that I could test the whole backup-restore cycle. I assume the restore is only supposed to happen when the phone is set up after being wiped.

All in all it seems like just using adb backup is a simpler and more granular approach. Or am I missing something?

Jacekalex

Mar 1, 2011
Why do all versions of LineageOS-18.1 for cedric have the default Privacy-Mac-Radnomization disabled?

I tested
lineage-18.1-20211014-nightly-cedric-signed.zip
lineage-18.1-20211016-microG-cedric.zip

I have covered the details in this thread:

Cheers

nift4

May 22, 2019
nift4.github.io
Moto G5
F(x)tec Pro1
Why do all versions of LineageOS-18.1 for cedric have the default Privacy-Mac-Radnomization disabled

I tested
lineage-18.1-20211014-nightly-cedric-signed.zip
lineage-18.1-20211016-microG-cedric.zip

I have covered the details in this thread:

Cheers
Prima, the WLAN driver, does not support it.

JarlPenguin

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2018
Earth
github.com
Moto G5S
Moto G7
This is a bit off-topic, but before updating to LOS 18.1, I am looking at my non-Google backup options. Seedvault backup to a local Nextcloud instance would be one option, but it seems that you have to restore the entire backup and cannot restore individual apps. Also, in my case the backup process keeps failing to upload some files, so it is a little difficult to see which apps have actually been successfully backed up. Moreover, there does not seem to be an option within Seedvault to initiate a restore , which would be nice so that I could test the whole backup-restore cycle. I assume the restore is only supposed to happen when the phone is set up after being wiped.

All in all it seems like just using adb backup is a simpler and more granular approach. Or am I missing something?
You are correct in assuming that restoration is available only after wiping the device. For regular backups Seedvault is enough IMO, but you could also look at something like Migrate.

Nemgathos

Dec 10, 2018
Today, I’ve decided to install LineageOS 18.1 on my Moto G5 and nothing has worked so far.

At first, I (as a Ubuntu user) connected my device to my laptop, booted it into recovery mode and fastbooted the latest TWRP version:

sudo fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-cedric.img

Then, I wiped everything from the phone by conducting an advanced wipe. Installing the latest versions of LineageOS, however (I did not install any Google apps or something like that), always ended up in infinite boot loops. These are the versions that I have tried to install:
  • lineage-18.1-20211104-nightly-cedric-signed.zip
  • lineage-18.1-20211028-nightly-cedric-signed.zip
  • lineage-18.1-20211021-nightly-cedric-signed.zip
  • lineage-18.1-20211014-nightly-cedric-signed.zip
What can I do in order to make it work?!

Edit: I cannot even install a custom recovery using fastboot.

First of all: Why do I need a custom recovery and why do I get the following error messages when I am trying to follow the instructions on this page?

[email protected]:$ adb start-server
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:
SPECIFIC_PORT_NUMBER
* daemon started successfully
[email protected]:$ fastboot devices
SPECIFIC_DEVICE_NUMBER fastboot
[email protected]:$ adb reboot bootloader
error: no devices/emulators found

Last edited:

SirRGB

Jun 29, 2019
Google Nexus 5
Nexus 9
Today, I’ve decided to install LineageOS 18.1 on my Moto G5 and nothing has worked so far.

At first, I (as a Ubuntu user) connected my device to my laptop, booted it into recovery mode and fastbooted the latest TWRP version:

Then, I wiped everything from the phone by conducting an advanced wipe. Installing the latest versions of LineageOS, however (I did not install any Google apps or something like that), always ended up in infinite boot loops. These are the versions that I have tried to install:
Format data, so it removes encryption

Reactions: Nemgathos

SirRGB

Jun 29, 2019
Google Nexus 5
Nexus 9
How2format data:

Screenshot_2021-11-07-14-24-47_1.png
Screenshot_2021-11-07-14-24-49_1.png
Screenshot_2021-11-07-14-24-53.png

Reactions: Nemgathos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Format data, so it removes encryption
    How2format data:

Screenshot_2021-11-07-14-24-47_1.png
    Screenshot_2021-11-07-14-24-49_1.png
    Screenshot_2021-11-07-14-24-53.png
    I'm asking if you have been on latest stock oreo firmware for Moto G5 prior to flashing LOS
    No. Ok, then this might be the reason why it does not work. Where can I get the proper Oreo stock firmware for the Moto G5? There are several threads here that offer it and some contain dead download links.
    It's explained in Guide i linked

fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash oem oem.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    2okPze5.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
    */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Instructions:
    • Download the latest build, recovery image and GApps (if you need them)
    • Flash the downloaded recovery image via fastboot
    • Boot to recovery
    • Format system and perform a factory reset
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build
    • Flash GApps and any other necessary add-ons

What's working:
    • WiFi
    • Camera and Camcorder
    • Bluetooth
    • NFC
    • Fingerprint - Oreo firmware required
    • GPS
    • OTG
    • Video Playback
    • Audio
    • RIL
    • VoLTE/VoWiFi
    • USB tethering/audio
    • SELinux: Enforcing

Known issues:
    • You tell me

Downloads:

Reporting Bugs
    • All bugs should be reported here: Issue Tracker
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

Thanks to:
    @GivFNZ for testing my builds
    @wiktorek140, @karthick mostwanted, @wh0dat, @KalilDev, @AsD Monio, @GoldeneyeS2, @Steve Mathew Joy and @rajatgupta1998 for their hard work on our device sources
    LineageOS team

Changelogs:

Code:
    2021-04-08:
    Initial build.

Source code:
    Okaaay ... this seems to be more compliacted than expected. How did you guys upgrade to Oreo FW? Where did you get it from?

Thanks
    update firmware from pc in fastboot mode volume down (-) connect to pc

Firmware LATAM XT1670 (amxla) Mini
    Firmware RETAIL XT167x (retail) Mini
    No, that didn't help. I tried that already. Tried again now, flashed newest recovery image and tried again - didn't work. Updated to latest version with adb sideload.

Thanks for your efforts by the way :)
    It should be fixed in the next build - you'll still have to sideload that one, but future builds should update OTA fine

Click the spoiler for commands to flash in fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot
    It is not necessary to flash the OS partition (system.img), much less OEM (oem.img) it is for that reason that I left the firmware trimmed to skip that step tell me why you are going to flash the full firmware if when installing a custom rom it will format system & oem I have done it like this and zero errors
    Okaaay ... this seems to be more compliacted than expected. How did you guys upgrade to Oreo FW? Where did you get it from?

Thanks

Click the spoiler for commands to flash in fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set