[Android 11/R] LineageOS 18.1 for LG G3 (Unofficial) + OTA + Signature Spoofing

Search This thread

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
I'm still struggling with WiFi and standby.

With LineageOS v18.1 I'll always lose Wifi after a few minutes the screen turned off. I'll get no messenger notifications, internet radio apps stop working, whatsapp desktop loses connection to the phone after a while, and whatever needs an internet connection gets interrupted.

This used to work in LineageOS 17.1.
in 17.1 there was also the option "keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" in the advanced wifi settings. This option is now missing.
however adb shell settings get global wifi_sleep_policy is returning "2"
this means "always on". obviously this setting doesnt change anything related to the problem.

I also made sure there is no battery saving involved with the used apps.

anybody with similar experience?

Reactions: klaus-hamburg

Ph3ar.

Apr 16, 2016
I've tried sideloading, I've tried pushing to /sdcard and installing from there, I've tried copying to an actual SD card and installing from there. The result is the same each time: it doesn't boot. Latest version of TWRP (3.5.2), flashing just the OS image, nothing else.

But I've decided to give up with this phone, I've had enough of bashing my head against it.
Sorry to hear it's been giving you a frustrating time. Would you be willing to give 16 a try just to see if it would boot? 17 did have some early issue with rebooting to recovery. I use the LS990 so I can't help much but I do know v16 ran and booted like a charm. If you tried 16 and had the same problem I would think something is just stuffed up with your device . if it booted then that would offer hope. have you tried installing clean rom one time ? Sometimes erroneous factors can have a device stuffed up so to speak. Did you come straight from stock or were you running 16 in the past ?

avf32

May 18, 2021
Sorry to hear it's been giving you a frustrating time. Would you be willing to give 16 a try just to see if it would boot? 17 did have some early issue with rebooting to recovery. I use the LS990 so I can't help much but I do know v16 ran and booted like a charm. If you tried 16 and had the same problem I would think something is just stuffed up with your device . if it booted then that would offer hope. have you tried installing clean rom one time ? Sometimes erroneous factors can have a device stuffed up so to speak. Did you come straight from stock or were you running 16 in the past ?
Trying 16 was suggested to me before, but I couldn't find anywhere to download it.

It didn't run any custom ROMs in the past, as far as I'm aware. When I got it, it was running stock Android 4, although it was rooted. I upgraded it to Android 6 (via 5) using LG Mobile Support, but then I couldn't find a way of rooting that version or unlocking the bootloader, so I reflashed version 4 using LG Flash Tool and went from there.

I'd love to understand more about how the previous Android version might affect installing a custom ROM. From my naive x86 PC point of view, if it's not on the disk, then it doesn't matter, so I'm struggling to understand how it makes a difference. Does a later version of Android update firmware in the hardware, or something, which isn't visible by examining the partitions? Or do not all partitions get overwritten when installing a custom ROM? I did notice that I couldn't even get TWRP to work when I first got the device, and it only started working when I went through the 4->5->6->4 cycle.

Another thing that came up is partitions. It seems that newer phones have A and B partitions, system_a/system_b, recovery_a/recovery_b, etc. My phone only has system, recovery, boot, etc. Also, something about a "super" partition in Android 10 has been mentioned. Might this be the cause of my issues, and if so, do I need to run a script or something to repartition the flash before installing a custom ROM? I'm surprised that I couldn't find much information about this point out there.

Thanks!

Ph3ar.

Apr 16, 2016
Trying 16 was suggested to me before, but I couldn't find anywhere to download it.

It didn't run any custom ROMs in the past, as far as I'm aware. When I got it, it was running stock Android 4, although it was rooted. I upgraded it to Android 6 (via 5) using LG Mobile Support, but then I couldn't find a way of rooting that version or unlocking the bootloader, so I reflashed version 4 using LG Flash Tool and went from there.

I'd love to understand more about how the previous Android version might affect installing a custom ROM. From my naive x86 PC point of view, if it's not on the disk, then it doesn't matter, so I'm struggling to understand how it makes a difference. Does a later version of Android update firmware in the hardware, or something, which isn't visible by examining the partitions? Or do not all partitions get overwritten when installing a custom ROM? I did notice that I couldn't even get TWRP to work when I first got the device, and it only started working when I went through the 4->5->6->4 cycle.

Another thing that came up is partitions. It seems that newer phones have A and B partitions, system_a/system_b, recovery_a/recovery_b, etc. My phone only has system, recovery, boot, etc. Also, something about a "super" partition in Android 10 has been mentioned. Might this be the cause of my issues, and if so, do I need to run a script or something to repartition the flash before installing a custom ROM? I'm surprised that I couldn't find much information about this point out there.

Thanks!
Rather than go through all of that I would go back to the basics . Maybe start from a clean installation of Android L or M. Then start with 16 . I would root and install an older version of twrp like 2.8 . Then before you attempt anything else make yourself a good nandroid of your stock rom . That way if something goes wrong you can keep restoring that stock rom and have a firm base to return to without having to go through re-rooting and re-installing twrp. . Once you've got that done then maybe someone here will post a link to 16 for you. 17 and both 18 have been a bit contrary with more bugs than 16 had. I think if you can just get 16 working good then try the upgrade path from there to 17 or 18. You won't have to worry about partitions at that point. Hopefully some of the people with your variant will step up with a little advice . The path I'm pointing you on is a solid one but it gets you back to a good point of having the phone at stock , then getting a TWRP from the times on it, then rooting , getting a good nandroid established and going from there. Don't jump ahead with TWRP or the latest Magisk versions until you have to. Version 2.8 to 3.0 of Twrp were nice and stable for 16. Magisk 20.4 was nice and stable as well. From my own experience there are some bugs interacting between the latest roms , magisk and twrp. I haven't been able to determine which of the 3 or even all 3 for that matter . Once you find out if 16 works then make another good nandroid at that point. protect that step before you try anything else . That will give you another toe hold to fall back to. We'll try to help you out. Seeing the bugs and problems with the latest rom, magisk and twrp makes me think you picked a bad time to go from stock to 17 or 18. Focus on 16 for now. Someone please post the man a link to the last v16 lineage build for his variant. . Lets help this fella out.

Last edited:

williamvds

Jun 9, 2020
I've installed (microG) Lineage 18.1, built 7th of May 2021, clean upgrade from an encrypted microG 17.1. It appears to be mostly working:
- I got a decryption prompt on first start up, I assume because internal storage wasn't wiped
- Rotation works but the compass is still broken as it was in 17.1 (tested with "Compass" by Phillip Bobek from FDroid)
- GPS sometimes works, maybe takes a while to get a fix, just as in 17.1 (tested with "GPSTest" by barbeauDev from FDroid)
- Bluetooth doesn't start up

Would the compass and GPS issues be resolved by restoring the original Lollipop firmware? Should I bother going through all that process?

Digging into the logcat I can see an obvious reason for Bluetooth failing:

Code:
05-22 12:52:58.426 12712 12740 E droid.bluetoot: [0522/125258.426453:ERROR:config.cc(104)] config_new: unable to open file '/data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.conf': No such file or directory
05-22 12:52:58.426 12712 12740 E droid.bluetoot: [0522/125258.426634:ERROR:config.cc(104)] config_new: unable to open file '/data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.bak': No such file or directory
05-22 12:52:58.426 12712 12740 E bt_btif_config_transcode: btif_config_transcode unable to load XML file '/data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.xml': 3
05-22 12:52:58.426 12712 12740 E bt_btif_config: init unable to transcode legacy file; creating empty config.
05-22 12:52:58.434 12712 12745 E bt_btif_storage: btif_storage_get_adapter_property: Controller not ready! Unable to return Bluetooth Address
05-22 12:52:58.434 12712 12745 E BluetoothServiceJni: adapter_properties_callback: Status 1 is incorrect
05-22 12:52:59.674  3772  3969 E BluetoothManagerService: MESSAGE_BLUETOOTH_SERVICE_DISCONNECTED(1)
05-22 12:53:01.027 12785 12807 E droid.bluetoot: [0522/125301.027485:ERROR:config.cc(104)] config_new: unable to open file '/data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.conf': No such file or directory
05-22 12:53:01.027 12785 12807 E droid.bluetoot: [0522/125301.027717:ERROR:config.cc(104)] config_new: unable to open file '/data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.bak': No such file or directory
05-22 12:53:01.027 12785 12807 E bt_btif_config_transcode: btif_config_transcode unable to load XML file '/data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.xml': 3
05-22 12:53:01.028 12785 12807 E bt_btif_config: init unable to transcode legacy file; creating empty config.
05-22 12:53:01.035 12785 12812 E bt_btif_storage: btif_storage_get_adapter_property: Controller not ready! Unable to return Bluetooth Address
05-22 12:53:01.035 12785 12812 E BluetoothServiceJni: adapter_properties_callback: Status 1 is incorrect

This might just be a bad build missing the bluetooth config. Could someone send me the stock /data/misc/bluedroid/bt_config.conf? I didn't have much luck searching the LineageOS repositories.

I was having the same issue after reverting back to 17.1, indicating this was an issue with the data partition. Same problem after wiping the "internal storage" in TWRP and reinstalling. Getting the decryption prompts after wiping was suspicious, so I flashed the latest LineageOS recovery and did a clean install. Bluetooth is now working normally.

Last edited:

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
Regarding the WiFi Issues:

it seems like the issue is related to an issue with Anrdoid 11 and RFC 5006 setting in FritzBox Routers. I managed to fix this issue with a workaround I found here:
https://support.google.com/pixelpho...nden-die-wlan-verbindung?hl=de&msgid=72989707
To anyone reading having the same setup: Pixel 3 / FRITZ!Box 5490: Log into your FRITZ!Box through http://fritz.box/ or http://192.168.178.1/ in my case. AVM FritzBox instruction on the UI. Then go to View: advanced in the bottom, if you haven't already.
  1. Home Network / Network
  2. Network Settings tab
  3. Ip Addresses / IPv6 Addresses
  4. DNSv6 Server in the Home Network / Also announce DNSv6 server via router advertisement (RFC 5006) was enabled in my settings -> disable it and click apply
After that, I had none of the mentioned WiFi issues anymore. luckily.
But the more interesting question is: Why is this setting (RFC 5006) in the router NOW a problem with Lineage18.1/Android11 when it wasn't a problem before with LOS17.1/Android10?
Shouldn't the fix be on LineageOS / Androids side instead of disabling a router DNSv6 setting that is common in millions of devices?

Reactions: klaus-hamburg

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
The default camera app "Kamera" doesn't work when trying to record a video. it says:
"Could not start media recorder. Can't start video recording"

tried wiping all data of the app, resetting all permissions, still not working. any fixes?

fubag

Apr 9, 2010
WV
anyone having issues flashing the latest builds on LineageOS using TWRP that is resulting in super long starting animation boot, that eventually reboot the phone back into the TWRP recovery? I have a D850 for reference

I was fine on the May 14th build but trying 5/28 and 6/4 is resulting in issues now...tried wiping cache/dalvik and no beuno for reboots :'(

fubag

Apr 9, 2010
WV
New issues with latest builds 06-11 on D850...using custom TWRP provided by HardStyl3r; cannot install MindtheGapps 11.0 build for arm...throws up mount system error 1 everytime...any luck for anyone else? I've tried wiping and starting again, no luck

hellenicboy

Nov 7, 2010
Hello all,
I have a d850 rooted. I am coming from android 9 and magisk installed. I installed lineage 18.1 couple months ago and everything is running smooth but phone now shows as not rooted and can't install magisk.
Any thoughts?
Thank you

hourwatch

Sep 28, 2014
EDITED

I have installed this ROM, but it doesn't recognize my SIM. In Lineage 16 worked perfectly, and I have tried another smartphone and works correctly. Any way to fix this?

Last edited:

Nexus-3

Feb 28, 2018
LG G3
Nexus Player
Greetings,

first let met congratulate and thank @HardStyl3r & all the other LineageOS developers for breathing new life into such an old but venerable device!

After OpenGapps finally released packages for Android v11, I attempted to upgrade my LineageOS from v17.1 to v18.1 with little success so far.

My D855 always ends in a login loop, meaning that the arc animation finishes (with the three circles) and the SIM card unlock screen appears BUT 4 seconds later the complete arc reappears and then shows the sim unlock screen again.

Code:
original situation: lineage_os_17.1-2021-04-10 & open_gapps-arm-10.0-pico-20210522
current situation: lineage_os_17.1-2021-04-10 & open_gapps-arm-10.0-pico-20210715

Upgrade combinations tried via TWRP v3.5.2:

lineage-18.1-20210522-nightly-d855-signed.zip
lineage-18.1-20210620-nightly-d855-signed.zip
lineage-18.1-20210710-nightly-d855-signed.zip
lineage-18.1-20210717-nightly-d855-signed.zip

open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210712.zip
open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210713.zip
open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210714.zip
open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210715.zip
open_gapps-arm-11.0-pico-20210717.zip

Comments, hints & suggestions are appreciated.

Fractux

Jul 21, 2021
LG G3
EDITED POST : Trying a few more things before wasting people's time.

Sorry!

Attachments

• LINEAGE - Copy.jpg
    LINEAGE - Copy.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 67
  • TWRP - Copy.jpg
    TWRP - Copy.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 67
  • TWRP-term - Copy.jpg
    TWRP-term - Copy.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

kmambu

Feb 1, 2020
Hi everyone,
First of all, thank you @HardStyl3r for the Custom ROM, it installed without any issues 😁
The phone is running OK overall but feels laggy at times, would anyone know how to improve the performance of my installation ?
I reduced the resolution through LineageOS settings and it helped a lot, bu it seems like the kernel installed by default s a little bit restrictive regarding CPU frequency 🤔

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

About LineageOS
    LineageOS 18.1 is a free, community-built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device. It is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without the need to have any Google applications installed.

All supported LG G3 variants: d850, d851, d852, d855, [d856, d857, d858, d858hk, d859] - g3ds, [f400, f400k, f400s, f400l] - f400, ls990, vs985

Features:
    RIL: LTE, Calling + recording, SMS and MMS
    Wi-Fi: Connection to 2.4 and 5 GHz, Wi-Fi Display with audio
    Bluetooth pairing, sharing and audio
    Audio & video playback, streaming and recording
    NFC with Mifare support
    GPS and sensors
    Camera
    Powered on/off and wireless charging
    USB file transfer (MTP) and charging
    USB and Wi-Fi tethering (hotspot)
    Google services and Play Integrity compliant (banking apps and Google Wallet work out of the box)
    Storage encryption and SD Card
    LineageOS recovery with encryption support (not required, but endorsed :))
    LG Quick Circle case support with FlipFlap
    Signature spoofing only for microG

Known issues:
    DRM/Widevine L3: Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. are working and streaming, but the quality is 540p.
    YouTube doesn't show 1440p in video quality options. (newest YouTube ReVanced allows resolution overriding)
    Unstable Slimport HDMI connection
    Quirky 5 GHz Wi-Fi tethering

Won't work:
    VoLTE

Installation steps
    Make sure you're on the correct firmware for your variant.

For OTA, see the post below.
    1. If you're coming from another ROM or performing a clean flash:
    • Reboot to Recovery
    • Backup any important data
    • Format Data partition
    • Wipe Dalvik, Cache and System
    • Flash the ROM
    • Flash GApps (optional, but can't be flashed after the first boot)
    • Reboot to System
    2. If you're updating the ROM or performing a dirty flash:
    • Reboot to Recovery
    • Flash the ROM
    • Wipe Cache
    • Reboot to System
    You might also want to follow LineageOS' installation guide, but make sure to use the correct one for your variant. Link guides to d855's.

Downloads and tutorials
    Download LineageOS 18.1 ROM and Recovery (mega.nz)

Alternative downloads: GitHub releases
    TWRP for LG devices
    Google apps (Notes: first launch with Setup Wizard takes a long time; current TWRPs are incompatible with MindTheGapps)
    Rooting your phone by Linus Tech Tips
    Stock ROM by @MESA
    3__HacerPermisivo.zip — this switches your selinux to permissive
    bootimage_adb_unsecure by @AdrianDC — debugging, disables adb auth
    Mr_Bump.zip by @dadi11 — fix for Secure booting error (boot certification verify)

Development
    Join G3 development channel on Telegram to get more information about my projects.

Sources
    LineageOS GitHub repo
    github.com/itsHardStyl3r
    device and kernel sources
    Heh, long time no see. :p
    I've managed to narrow down every single bug I could find and increase performance wherever applicable.
    LineageOS 20 is work in progress. I just need more time and start off with a clean 18.1 base. I can't fix LineageOS 20 when previous versions were unstable.
    I've swapped download links and updated the main thread.

Thoroughly tested on d855, other variants are built as usual, so I need a lot of feedback. If everything goes well with these builds, I'll try to move back to Official releases with OTA.
    I just wanted to say thank you to HardStyl3r for all the great work that was done to LS990 with LineageOS. The phone just got new life with this ROM.
    And also want to know some news about Android 12 :) Would you concider to port it to LS990? LineageOS 19? :)
    I do plan to release Android 12.
    Can i use this rom for lg g3 US990?
    If it doesn't have msm8974ac, I am afraid you can't.
    A new update (for a short while) before we'll have official builds. Once the builds are available to download, I'll convert this thread to Official and close 17.1.
    Enjoy.
    OTA installation
    LineageOS updates are full installation packages. That means you can always install only the latest update, even if you skipped some in between.

Performing OTA update on your phone.
    Make sure you have supported recovery installed, such as LineageOS recovery that can be found here in this thread. If there is an update available for your device, click Download and wait for it to complete. You should now see something similar to this:
    XYKT3Xh.png

If you'd like your recovery to be updated alongside your ROM, click on the meatballs menu (right upper corner) and select Preferences as shown on the screenshot:
    4HwlDQl.png

As you can see, there is an Install button. If you are ready to proceed, click it and confirm the dialog by pressing OK as shown:
    SoOoReN.png

Your phone should now be updating. It will reboot to recovery, update the OS and boot back to it.

Update blocked: This update cannot be installed using the updater app. What do I do?
    This means that the update you are trying to install is a newer version of Android than what you have currently installed on your phone. In this case, it needs to be flashed manually on your device, since Updater simply can't update you to a newer version of OS. You get the idea. If you find yourself in this situation, simply follow the second instruction (so-called dirty flash) posted under Installation section in the main thread.