• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL][hotdogg][11.0] crDroidAndroid v7.x

Search This thread
I'm seeing an update to crDroid 7.11, October 11, 2021, 1.1GB in Settings> Updates. Is this an update, such as a security patch, that can be applied safely to my device without affecting files, apps, and settings? Or is, this a new an update that would reimage my phone? Also, is it advisable to unroot and/or remove Magisk prior to applying an update? (I ask because this was a problem for my previous OnePlus 2 phone running LineageOS.

gnabtib8

I'm seeing an update to crDroid 7.11, October 11, 2021, 1.1GB in Settings> Updates. Is this an update, such as a security patch, that can be applied safely to my device without affecting files, apps, and settings? Or is, this a new an update that would reimage my phone? Also, is it advisable to unroot and/or remove Magisk prior to applying an update? (I ask because this was a problem for my previous OnePlus 2 phone running LineageOS.
It's easy to update and maintain root without needing to use the pc.

1. Open magisk manager and keep in memory. (Don't close it)

2. Install the update in crdroid settings and switch back to magisk manager.

3. Let crdroid finish the update in the background while in magisk manager but don't reboot.

4. Install magisk to the inactive slot and finally reboot while it prompts you.

5. Profit

Reactions: TitaniumCoder477

sevenupspot

Feb 22, 2012
Just installed. Its absolutely epic :cowboy:. I am worried about the always on display tho. Will this harm the screen since nothing really moves? I mean, the time changes obviously, etc, but is it a significant enough of a change to not allow burn in? :confused:

BobbyLynn

Oct 4, 2019
Lacenter
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
Just installed. Its absolutely epic :cowboy:. I am worried about the always on display tho. Will this harm the screen since nothing really moves? I mean, the time changes obviously, etc, but is it a significant enough of a change to not allow burn in? :confused:
If you're worried about it then don't use that feature 🤨 I don't use always on display, I use kinScreen.

Reactions: sevenupspot

sevenupspot

Feb 22, 2012
I will try it, thank you :). I had to switch to a different rom for now. Had to go to work. This rom would black the screen out and not allow the screen to come back on unless I forced reboot. I will try it again and maybe see what is causing it. Hopefully I find it, I love this rom and would def like to keep using it.

Reactions: BobbyLynn

BobbyLynn

Oct 4, 2019
Lacenter
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
I will try it, thank you :). I had to switch to a different rom for now. Had to go to work. This rom would black the screen out and not allow the screen to come back on unless I forced reboot. I will try it again and maybe see what is causing it. Hopefully I find it, I love this rom and would def like to keep using it.
I myself haven't had any issues with the ROM 🤷‍♂️ If you install the ROM again and it still gives you problems, get a copy of the logcat and send it to the developer, he will most likely be able to tell you what's causing the problem and how to fix it.

Reactions: sevenupspot

sevenupspot

Feb 22, 2012
I narrowed it down the fingerprint scanner. It works flawlessly when I don't have a print registered. As soon as I register one, the screen will go black after locking the phone twice. If I delete the fingerprint, it will go back to normal, never blacking out the screen on unlocking :). So I'm going to reflash my original persist.img and see if it helps.

BobbyLynn

Oct 4, 2019
Lacenter
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
I narrowed it down the fingerprint scanner. It works flawlessly when I don't have a print registered. As soon as I register one, the screen will go black after locking the phone twice. If I delete the fingerprint, it will go back to normal, never blacking out the screen on unlocking :). So I'm going to reflash my original persist.img and see if it helps.
Yeah that's strange. I have two fingerprints registered on my phone, but I haven't had any issues at all 🤷‍♂️

st3wart

I was looking for a method that didn't involve TWRP since I too came across the same issues you encountered. I actually just finished rooting crDroid a few minutes ago. Here were my steps:
  1. Grab a copy of payload-dumper-go (I used payload-dumper-go_1.2.0_linux_amd64.tar.gz)
  2. Make it executable and install golang if you haven't already
  3. Unzip crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210927-hotdogg-v7.10.zip
  4. Type: ./payload-dumper-go crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210927-hotdogg-v7.10/payload.bin
  5. Copy the boot.img file from new folder to your phone
  6. Also copy Magisk-v23.0.apk to your phone and install it
  7. Open the Magisk app and and tap Magisk > Install
  8. Choose Select and Patch a File (should be the only option you can choose at the moment)
  9. Browse to and choose the boot.img file
  10. Once patched, copy the resulting magisk patched .img file back to your computer
  11. Restart your phone into fastboot mode
  12. Then flash with: fastboot flash boot /path/to/your/magisk_patched.img file
  13. You may also want to flash the other boot; for example, in my case boot_a was flashed, so I then typed: sudo ./fastboot flash boot_b ~/Downloads/magisk_patched-23000_dCYIE.img
  14. Then restart your phone!
These are the steps I performed, gleaned from the Magisk github's install.html#magisk-in-recovery page and also @gwolfu at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...droid-v7-10-13-sep-2021.4292267/post-85192599
Can anyone post a link or attach the boot.img to a post to download. I cannot get to my pc right now and am on the road and root is working. Please 🙏

sevenupspot

Feb 22, 2012
  • Love
Reactions: st3wart

maff1989

Sep 20, 2010
Bolingbrook
Thanks for this ROM! It's working great, except for one minor issue I'm noticing.

I use Night Light all the time, and it works properly. However, when Night Light is enabled, and I tap any notification in in the Notification window, the app window appears but Night Light is disabled. I have to manually re-enable Night Light.

I checked around in Settings but couldn't find anything related. Seems like a bug.

EDIT: I searched settings a little deeper, and found the crDroid setting for "Diable night light when showing FOD". This setting was on; turning it off stopped the Night Light from turning off when clicking a notification

Last edited:

maff1989

Sep 20, 2010
Bolingbrook
Oddly enough, I just received a phone call while sitting with the screen unlocked at my home screen. I heard the ringer go off, but I did not get a visual display allowing me to answer or reject the call. I received the notification that the call was missed.

This doesn't seem to happen with every call.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright cool. I'll just toss gcam on then when I get it going thanks
    Yeah gcam will probably work just fine too. I've only tested 3 different camera apps from the play store and they worked just fine. So I'd assume that gcam would work fine too
    Where do things currently stand with it? The OP mentions needing to hold to record video and the actual video tab crashing, has that been fixed by now? Not sure if I want to wait for an A12 version to flash or just flash it now. Doesn't seem to be too many options for the phone model either way.
    Still not fixed. But that issue is only on the main camera. So if you want to record a video with the main camera just leave it in picture mode and hold down the shutter button. The front video records fine though. Other camera apps work just fine on the main camera. Like "Open Camera" and any other camera app from the Play store.
    BE3pE0l.png
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible for any damage you made to your device
    You have been warned

crDroid is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device also attempting to bringing many of the best features existent today

Features:
    https://github.com/crdroidandroid/crdroid_features/blob/11.0/README.mkdn

Flashing Instructions:

Pre-installation:
    First time installation:
    • You must have crDroid recovery installed in both slots
    • Boot crDroid recovery
    • Format Data
    • Plug your phone to pc and Apply update via ADB
    • Run adb sideload <drag_crdroid_zip_here>
      Install gapps (Optional)
    • Reboot recovery again (from advanced menu)
    • Run adb sideload <drag_gapps_zip_here>
    • Reboot
    Update installation:
    • You must have crDroid recovery installed in both slots
    • Boot crDroid recovery
    • Run adb sideload <drag_crdroid_zip_here>
      Install gapps (Optional)
    • Reboot recovery again (from advanced menu)
    • Run adb sideload <drag_gapps_zip_here>
    • Reboot

NOTE: If all the flashing process succeeds the terminal output will stop at 47% and report adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases it will report adb: failed to read command: No error which is also fine.

Sources:
    ROM: https://github.com/crdroidandroid
    Device sources: https://github.com/hotdogg-dev

Download:
    ROM https://crdroid.net/hotdogg
    Changelog: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/c..._vendor_crDroidOTA/11.0/changelog_hotdogg.txt

Known issues:
    * You tell me

NOTE: Default camera and gallery are from OxygenOS to have all features and cameras working. Video section of the camera will force close the app, you can take videos but doing a long press on camera shutter button.

Visit official website @ crDroid.net
    DarkJoker360 Telegram Updates
    crDroid Community Telegram
    crDroid Updates Channel
    Donate to help our team pay server costs
    What are the fastboot commands to flash crDroid recovery to both A/B slots?
    fastboot flash recovery_a <drag_recovery_img_here>
    fastboot flash recovery_b <drag_recovery_img_here>
    Alright cool. I'll just toss gcam on then when I get it going thanks
    Yeah gcam will probably work just fine too. I've only tested 3 different camera apps from the play store and they worked just fine. So I'd assume that gcam would work fine too
    Super happy to see some development on hotdogg again, and one of my favorite ROMs no less. I just hope to get regular updates unlike everything else (besides Carbon 8.0, not even 9.0), but am super happy to find everything working, unlike some of the one off ROM builds on here. So far, no problem (other than not realizing Gapps weren't included and Magisk causing softbricks if installed before setup). Everything tested so far is working and has the battery life I expect from crDroid.

So the easiest way to install magisk and (I did it on this ROM) is to rename magisk.apk to magisk.zip and install that through TWRP. On this ROM, you MUST do it after setup or risk a potential soft-brick.
    I was looking for a method that didn't involve TWRP since I too came across the same issues you encountered. I actually just finished rooting crDroid a few minutes ago. Here were my steps:
    1. Grab a copy of payload-dumper-go (I used payload-dumper-go_1.2.0_linux_amd64.tar.gz)
    2. Make it executable and install golang if you haven't already
    3. Unzip crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210927-hotdogg-v7.10.zip
    4. Type: ./payload-dumper-go crDroidAndroid-11.0-20210927-hotdogg-v7.10/payload.bin
    5. Copy the boot.img file from new folder to your phone
    6. Also copy Magisk-v23.0.apk to your phone and install it
    7. Open the Magisk app and and tap Magisk > Install
    8. Choose Select and Patch a File (should be the only option you can choose at the moment)
    9. Browse to and choose the boot.img file
    10. Once patched, copy the resulting magisk patched .img file back to your computer
    11. Restart your phone into fastboot mode
    12. Then flash with: fastboot flash boot /path/to/your/magisk_patched.img file
    13. You may also want to flash the other boot; for example, in my case boot_a was flashed, so I then typed: sudo ./fastboot flash boot_b ~/Downloads/magisk_patched-23000_dCYIE.img
    14. Then restart your phone!
    These are the steps I performed, gleaned from the Magisk github's install.html#magisk-in-recovery page and also @gwolfu at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...droid-v7-10-13-sep-2021.4292267/post-85192599