[CLOSED] [ROM][OFFICIAL][instantnoodle][13] LineageOS 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Managed to flash LineageOS using EDL Mode after I somehow converted my IN2017 to an IN2019 and couldn't boot anymore 😀

MSMed once, then the BOOTLOADER thought it could lock on me 🥱 I followed the steps to unlock an IN2019 because https://oneplus.com/us/unlock_token seems to be down. Somehow, it worked, but I ended up bricking my IN2017 and ended up converting it to an IN2019.

I attempted to use the MSM Tool for the IN2017 and it failed because the DEVICE TARGET (not sure where this changed) was Verzion, therefore I was unable to flash T-Mobile Software. In the end, through a ton of steps, I somehow just got LineageOS working after going through Crash Dumps, "This device is corrupt and can't boot," and many more errors that have been forgotten.

The confusing thing is, I wasn't even able to use the Verizon MSM Tool, as I kept getting an error stating something relating to image mismatches.

EDIT: Suddenly the website is now working...

EDIT: Failed miserably, FINGERPRINT SENSOR no longer works 😀

Last edited:

7ORO

Jan 19, 2013
Thank you for the rom.

I have some questions regarding the install instructions
- If I flash the provided vbmeta partition will I lose the vb-verified status?
- Will vbmeta be upgraded using OTA updates or do I need to manually upgrade the partition?
- Is it the same for the dbto partition?
- If I just boot the recovery image using adb, can I backup these partitions before flashing the new ones? Or do I need to boot an old TWRP image?

jabashque

Feb 17, 2017
Nextbit Robin
LeEco Le Pro3
Thank you for the rom.

I have some questions regarding the install instructions
Q: If I flash the provided vbmeta partition will I lose the vb-verified status?
A: You already lose verified status by unlocking the bootloader (orange state). In addition, the vbmeta partition provided is more or less an empty one, and so it would not provide any sort of hashes or anything like that to do verified boot against.

Q: Will vbmeta be upgraded using OTA updates or do I need to manually upgrade the partition?
A: Yes.

Q: Is it the same for the dbto partition?
A: Yes.

Q: If I just boot the recovery image using adb, can I backup these partitions before flashing the new ones? Or do I need to boot an old TWRP image?
A: You technically can with `dd` while in adb shell, since LineageOS recovery provides root adb access.

Reactions: 7ORO

7ORO

Jan 19, 2013
Q: If I just boot the recovery image using adb, can I backup these partitions before flashing the new ones? Or do I need to boot an old TWRP image?
A: You technically can with `dd` while in adb shell, since LineageOS recovery provides root adb access.
Thanks.
Was able to create a backup of the original partitions using "adb pull" after booting the LinageOS recovery and enabling adb shell.

Dec 13, 2020
Okay so got the code.

I got the Qualcomm crash error when I boot in, so I need to unbrick it.

I CAN boot into Fastboot, and flashing TWRP seems to work too.

Any solutions I should try? Should I flash Stock and go with that? Try my luck with Lineage? What should I do? (Using Linux with a Windows VM via QEMU and MSM's giving me errors when I try that

EDIT: Flashing using the flash-all.bat, for Android 11 let me boot back into stock, but now I don't have any wifi or mobile data, so not sure what else I need to fix for that. Sometimes it stays stuck on the T-Mobile boot logo too

EDIT 2: Well now it won't even let me boot into fastboot anymore, MSM gives me Sahara errors and I don't have any hardware I can run MSM reliably on, if that requires a USB 2 port (everything I have uses 3.0)

Last edited:

jabashque

Feb 17, 2017
Nextbit Robin
LeEco Le Pro3
Okay so got the code.

I got the Qualcomm crash error when I boot in, so I need to unbrick it.

I CAN boot into Fastboot, and flashing TWRP seems to work too.

Any solutions I should try? Should I flash Stock and go with that? Try my luck with Lineage? What should I do? (Using Linux with a Windows VM via QEMU and MSM's giving me errors when I try that

EDIT: Flashing using the flash-all.bat, for Android 11 let me boot back into stock, but now I don't have any wifi or mobile data, so not sure what else I need to fix for that. Sometimes it stays stuck on the T-Mobile boot logo too

EDIT 2: Well now it won't even let me boot into fastboot anymore, MSM gives me Sahara errors and I don't have any hardware I can run MSM reliably on, if that requires a USB 2 port (everything I have uses 3.0)
When you first saw Qualcomm Crash Dump mode show up, what had you done prior to that? Also, if you can find a USB 2.0 hub to plug into one of your USB 3.0 ports, that may help a lot with your issues with MsmDownloadTool.

Dec 13, 2020
When you first saw Qualcomm Crash Dump mode show up, what had you done prior to that? Also, if you can find a USB 2.0 hub to plug into one of your USB 3.0 ports, that may help a lot with your issues with MsmDownloadTool.

If I recall right, I used the flasher tool from Step 3, which seemed to go well but after that, I ended up with a Qualcomm crash, I updated to OTA 11 but ended up inadvertantly using the A10 flashrom so that might have bit me.. For awhile it booted in to the firmware but had no internet or data, but now I can't get it to boot period.

I can get it into Fastboot, TWRY works if I flash that, same with the stock recovery if I flash it. But that's the best I'd gotten for a good few hours.

Don't have any usb 2.0 hubs, I do have an old laptop but that doesn't have a hard drive so that complicates matters.

EDIT: I went back to the flashable file (10.5.9-EUROPE-OnePlus8Oxygen_15.E.18_OTA_018_all_2007160043_913306-FASTBOOT) and manually ran all the commands by hand using ADB tools, and it actually *worked*, so now it boots back into stock. (Model still says IN2017 when I check settings).

EDIT: Updated by one of the zips in the Step 3 thread (specifically Global 11) and now it shows up as IN2015, so good sign.
Updated to 12 via OTA, am I good to try and flash Lineage? Or should I update to A13 first? It does show up when I check system update.

Also if I want MicroG, what's the best way to approach that?

EDIT: NEvermind, stuck in a fastboot loop now, says the image is destroyed.

EDIT 2: Okay booted back to stock again, had to flash all the way to A10 using the previous fastboot files but I got in, wifi works but it doesn't see my SIM anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
So I literally can't update anymore, neither locally or via OTA, both fail. IMEI is totally gone too and SIM no longer works, even after reflashing again. I don't have a spare drive to use MSM (virtual machines didn't work at all when I tried that) so at this point I think my phone is just completely busted (it at least boots and connects to wifi now, so it's not a *complete* brick), I'll just have to send it in and failing that, just make due without a phone a good while.

So I literally can't update anymore, neither locally or via OTA, both fail. IMEI is totally gone too and SIM no longer works, even after reflashing again. I don't have a spare drive to use MSM (virtual machines didn't work at all when I tried that) so at this point I think my phone is just completely busted (it at least boots and connects to wifi now, so it's not a *complete* brick), I'll just have to send it in and failing that, just make due without a phone a good while.
I restored my IMEI using some QCOM Tool, but unfortunately, it's now applied to SIM 2, even though it doesn't exist.

Dec 13, 2020
I restored my IMEI using some QCOM Tool, but unfortunately, it's now applied to SIM 2, even though it doesn't exist.
It's still under a plan with TMO so I'm gonna cut my losses and take it in, if I'm lucky it might be fixable, worst case scenario they can't, then at best I can get it traded in, at worst I'll have to get a new device entirely, which would suck though I'm looking at pixels for Graphene, so there's that at least.

Reactions: hammerhaigh
It's still under a plan with TMO so I'm gonna cut my losses and take it in, if I'm lucky it might be fixable, worst case scenario they can't, then at best I can get it traded in, at worst I'll have to get a new device entirely, which would suck though I'm looking at pixels for Graphene, so there's that at least.
The second SIM IMEI is annoying me because I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

EDIT: If your lease is over with T-Mobile (after the device replacement), I'd switch to Google Fi (assuming you have no other ongoing leases). I just made the switch, and it was relatively easy, it's also cheaper. You're still getting T-Mobile coverage, without the pricing! You'd have to switch before the end of your current billing cycle, if you don't want to pay for the next month. Also, if you choose to port all or one number, make sure you do the account holder number last. Not sure how Sprint/T-Mobile handle account closures when that number is transferred while other lines are active.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
The second SIM IMEI is annoying me because I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

EDIT: If your lease is over with T-Mobile (after the device replacement), I'd switch to Google Fi (assuming you have no other ongoing leases). I just made the switch, and it was relatively easy, it's also cheaper. You're still getting T-Mobile coverage, without the pricing! You'd have to switch before the end of your current billing cycle, if you don't want to pay for the next month. Also, if you choose to port all or one number, make sure you do the account holder number last. Not sure how Sprint/T-Mobile handle account closures when that number is transferred while other lines are active.

I'm not the only one on the plan so I'd have to see how that goes. But I go on monday so I'll see.

I also drudged up an old laptop with a kind of busted hard drive, I can try running MSM on that, but I don't know if I should do that first or if I should wait and check with TMO first.

Reactions: hammerhaigh
I'm not the only one on the plan so I'd have to see how that goes. But I go on monday so I'll see.

I also drudged up an old laptop with a kind of busted hard drive, I can try running MSM on that, but I don't know if I should do that first or if I should wait and check with TMO first.
You should try to MSM first, it'll be faster than visiting a T-Mobile Store!

EDIT: They might also make you pay for a replacement, in full because, as OnePlus mentions, your warranty could not be voided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    <Moderator Note>: Thread closed, as per my PSA.

DISCLAIMER​

Anything you do to your own device is your responsibility and your responsibility only. You may NOT hold me responsible for any damage caused to your device.

2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 13, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

The only official site with proper instructions to install LineageOS is https://wiki.lineageos.org/. Any instructions that come from anywhere else is not to be trusted at all.
    You should especially distrust instructions from websites that try and impersonate LineageOS. One example of such a site is lineageosroms[.]com.

Instructions​

Scroll down to the 2nd post in this thread for installation and upgrade information.

Reporting Bugs

Please follow the instructions here to report your bug to our GitLab issues if you can, as it makes it easier for us to keep track of bugs and progress on fixing them.
    However, should you be unable to do so and must post your bug report in this thread instead, then please adhere to the following guidelines:
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel, have installed Magisk, Xposed, or have done modifications to your device that touch any of the read-only partitions (with GApps being the only exception).
      • As this is an A/B device, recovery will not run addon.d scripts. As such, try undoing all the modifications by reflashing the rom + GApps (if you used them) in recovery--no need to wipe data. After that, check to see if the bug is still there.
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops and /sys/fs/pstore/dmesg-ramoops-0. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:
    <Moderator Note>: Telegram link removed, as per my PSA.

Supported models:​

The only officially supported models are the following:
    • IN2010 (China)
    • IN2011 (India)
    • IN2013 (Europe/Asia)
    • IN2015 ("Global"/NA)
    IN2017 (T-Mobile) is unofficially supported, as that's what I did my device bringup against.

IN2019 (Verizon) is not supported. VZW sensor configs are not bundled in this ROM, so accelerometer/gyroscope and magnetometer readings are going to be incorrect. In addition, battery gauge reading seems to be broken, based on one user trying this ROM on their IN2019 despite it being unsupported. I am likely not going to fix this anytime soon, as I do not have an IN2019 to validate my fixes against.

Upgrading from LineageOS 19.1:​

If you are coming from LineageOS 19.1 AND using LineageOS 19.1 Recovery, then follow the instructions here to upgrade. Remember to flash Android 13 GApps if you used GApps previously.
    We ship the required firmware (OxygenOS 13 11.F.13 as of 2022-12-31) in our OTA zips, so you do not need to install that firmware to both your slots on your OnePlus 8 before proceeding through the instructions.

Installing LineageOS 20 for the first time:​

Prerequisites:​

Ensure you've installed any version of OxygenOS/ColorOS 12 or 13 on the active slot on your device. The installation instructions recommend you be on OOS/COS 13 because on OOS/COS 12, touchscreen will end up not working while in LineageOS Recovery. However, you can still proceed while using OOS/COS 12 firmware; use the volume keys + power button to navigate recovery.

Instructions:​

Once you satisfy the prerequisites above, then follow the instructions here to install LineageOS 20.
    We ship the required firmware (OxygenOS 13 11.F.13 as of 2022-12-31) in our OTA zips, so you do not need to install that firmware to both your slots on your OnePlus 8 before proceeding through the instructions.
    AoD blanking issue fix is up. I got some help from javelinanddart, who took a look at the LP1 command for our panel and deduced which part of it was causing the panel to blank.

Hoping to get it merged soon: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250/+/347184

Currently Known Bugs​

Occasional 1-2 second freezes when waking the device from sleep​

Sometimes, when you wake the device, you can see the display seemingly freeze for 1-2 seconds while it's fading in the lockscreen. Unfortunately, I don't know why that happens, and I don't think I'll be able to fix that myself anytime soon.

Light sensor readings do not filter out light coming from the screen​

The light sensor is placed way too close to the top of the screen, so light bleed from the screen ends up affecting light sensor readings. On OOS, they use some algorithm to determine how much of the light detected by the sensor is actually coming from the display itself, and then subtract that value from the reading. We currently don't have anything to handle that for this LineageOS build. Some people have tried developing their own algorithm for this on the OnePlus 7 series of devices, but apparently, it doesn't work that well, so it was never brought over to the OnePlus 8 series of devices. In addition to that, novenary was reverse engineering OnePlus's implementation, but they stopped working on that since they no longer daily drive their hotdogb.

As such, expect Adaptive Brightness to be very much unusable, as the feedback loop caused by the light sensor sensing the light from the screen will result in Adaptive Brightness increasing the brightness all the time.

UDFPS (Under-display Fingerprint Sensor) doesn't work properly in 90° and 270° screen rotations​

For both 90° and 270° (both of which are landscape orientations), the HWC layer for the UDFPS circle doesn't get excluded from the dimlayer, and as such, it doesn't end up illuminating bright enough to scan your finger. The circle is still positioned in the right place, so there could still be a possibility that one could figure out how to fix this.

UDFPS (Under-display Fingerprint Sensor) doesn't work properly in 180° screen rotation​

For 180° (upside-down), not only is the auth dialog window in the wrong place, but the UDFPS circle doesn't even show up. This will not be fixed.

Mic input volume in speakerphone and video/audio recordings seems quieter than usual​

This is still being explored, but it ends up seeming like the top mic's gain is too low or something? More details to come...

Ambient Display (Always-on Display) may not work properly if panel can't freely switch between 60Hz and 90Hz​

(Fixed in 2023-01-21 build)

With Ambient Display enabled, when you "turn off" the screen, the panel will first show the Ambient Display info at normal brightness before trying to switch to LP1 mode. However, for instantnoodle, that mode seems to cause the panel to blank out entirely. It's only when Android decides to switch between 60/90Hz that the panel ends up turning back on, and that usually takes up to 6 seconds for that to happen.

This is under investigation still. Since the LP1 panel command's payloads are specific to this panel (Samsung amb655uv01), and since I have not found a datasheet for this panel, I may not be able to fix this. Either that, or I would need to prevent the LP1 command from running in the first place, and then see if that affects battery life.

EDIT: Fix is up: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250/+/347184
    Thanks to @javelinanddart for taking a look and deducing which part of the LP1 command was causing the screen to blank.

While WiFi calling is enabled, VoIP calls (Google Voice, TextNow, etc.) starts stuttering frequently on WiFi​

A few hours after turning on WiFi Calling on the OnePlus 8, you'll likely notice that VoIP calls on apps like Google Voice and TextNow will seem to stutter while on WiFi, getting to the point where the call is unstable and neither party can really talk to each other. This bug is related to IMS making the cnd daemon from qcom's CNE request WiFi ext stats every two seconds. A race condition in the qcacmn kernel driver could end up happening during one of these requests, which potentially leads to every subsequent ext stats request timing out after waiting for 1.5 seconds. During that 1.5 second period, VoIP packets seem to get dropped entirely. This issue has been present since LineageOS 18.1, it seems.

I do have code that works around this race condition, but I don't think it's ready to review yet because I'm still trying to learn more about the qcacmn driver. I will update this space with more info when ready.

EDIT: Fix is up: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_qcom_sm8250/+/347290
    Thanks to Andrea for showing a way to work around this race condition that required fewer code changes.

CPU scheduler becomes reluctant to schedule tasks on the Gold and Prime CPU clusters 15-30 minutes after boot​

After rebasing on latest qcom sm8250 + Android Common Kernel source, we ended up getting a regression in how the CPU scheduler works. For some reason, 15-30 minutes after booting up, it ends up becoming very reluctant to schedule tasks on the Prime cluster, and (I suppose) somewhat reluctant to schedule tasks on the Gold cluster.

The fix for this is up: https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_qcom_sm8250/+/347313
    Thanks to @V3NK4135H for their help in identifying the fix.

Ambient Display (Always-on Display) appears dimmer than usual if you have at least one fingerprint registered​

(Fixed in 2023-03-11 build.)

With Ambient Display enabled, when the panel enters LP1 mode, the screen seems to dim by a significant amount. This is due to the biometrics HAL enabling dimlayer_hbm while listening for a fingerprint. Turning on dimlayer_hbm results in High Brightness mode being enabled, but with a dimlayer overlaying everything except for the UDFPS circle. This allows the UDFPS circle to shine at HBM levels of backlight while everything else remains at the original brightness level. However, if dimlayer_hbm is still on while the panel enters LP1 mode, then High Brightness mode turns off, but the dimlayer still remains. This results in everything being dimmer than it really should be.

I have a bunch of changes in the pipeline that not only fixes that, but also uses the dimlayer to mimic various brightness steps so that the perceived brightness in LP1 mode will match what your display had in ON mode. Will post updates in the thread once it gets merged.
    Heads up, got a few fixes in the pipeline for the following bugs:
    • Ambient Display (Always-on Display) may not work properly if panel can't freely switch between 60Hz and 90Hz
      • thank you @javelinanddart for helping to identify the part of the LP1 command that blanked the screen
    • While WiFi calling is enabled, VoIP calls (Google Voice, TextNow, etc.) starts stuttering frequently on WiFi
      • thank you Andrea for helping with creating a simpler patchset than the one I initially wrote
    • CPU scheduler becomes reluctant to schedule tasks on the Gold and Prime CPU clusters 15-30 minutes after boot
      • thank you @V3NK4135H for pointing me toward the kernel commit that fixes this
    Hopefully the last two bugs will make it in time for next week's build. Not sure when I can get the first one merged.

EDIT: all of them are merged. Expect to see them in next Saturday's build on 2023-01-21.