[ROM][Official] Kali NetHunter for the Nokia 6.1 LOS18.1

Search This thread

aeeaan

Jan 29, 2022
@yesimxev I guess magisk 24 and 24.1 came out in the past week. I'll give 23 a shot.

I wiped cache/data and flashed the lineage recovery over boot and it does boot up now. Kali doesn't work as root is gone, but it's there. Going to try repatching boot and reinstalling magisk, then nethunter before I start from zero with the older magisk. Not sure if that's a sane approach or not, I haven't modded an android system since before they switched to the whole A/B thing and got rid of the recovery partition. Thanks for looking into this, I'll update tomorrow with how I did.

yesimxev

May 8, 2017
@yesimxev I guess magisk 24 and 24.1 came out in the past week. I'll give 23 a shot.

I wiped cache/data and flashed the lineage recovery over boot and it does boot up now. Kali doesn't work as root is gone, but it's there. Going to try repatching boot and reinstalling magisk, then nethunter before I start from zero with the older magisk. Not sure if that's a sane approach or not, I haven't modded an android system since before they switched to the whole A/B thing and got rid of the recovery partition. Thanks for looking into this, I'll update tomorrow with how I did.
I just did a full clean install with LOS Recovery without any problems, will update the guide so we don't needmessing with TWRP

aeeaan

Jan 29, 2022
@yesimxev

Thanks so much! I wonder if I screwed something up. I didn't restart from a clean install yet, but once I got magisk installed again nethunter started working in what I assume is lite mode. Once I reinstalled Kali it would hang again.

Just to verify, lineage recovery doesn't actually work 100% on this phone, correct? It boots and adb can detect it's in recovery but the screen is blank. I found a ticket about this at lineageos gitlab that i believe is still current. Did you use adb and fastboot commands for everything or is your phone not affected? No need to reply I guess I'll get my answer with the updated instructions.

yesimxev

May 8, 2017
@yesimxev

Thanks so much! I wonder if I screwed something up. I didn't restart from a clean install yet, but once I got magisk installed again nethunter started working in what I assume is lite mode. Once I reinstalled Kali it would hang again.

Just to verify, lineage recovery doesn't actually work 100% on this phone, correct? It boots and adb can detect it's in recovery but the screen is blank. I found a ticket about this at lineageos gitlab that i believe is still current. Did you use adb and fastboot commands for everything or is your phone not affected? No need to reply I guess I'll get my answer with the updated instructions.

LOS works like a charm. The above issue you say is with TWRP. See the screenshot

IMG_20220130_160720.jpg

aeeaan

Jan 29, 2022
Yeah, I get the same black-purplish blank screen with both lineage recovery flashed to boot and TWRP set up as ramdisk :( There could be an undocumented hardware revision/different panel. That gitlab bug is about lineage recovery not TWRP.

I don't think this helps me, but interestingly, the TWRP ramdisk setup works perfectly with the Nokia android 10 stock boot image. No purplish screens. I stupidly didn't do any backups before I got started so I got Nokia stock partition images from this thread:

It's time for me to try this from the very beginning. I'm starting to worry that whatever the difference is between our phones might be what was causing my hangup. Which would mean no custom kernel for me.

EDIT: There are also a few comments about the display in LOS recovery here:

Last edited:

yesimxev

May 8, 2017
Yeah, I get the same black-purplish blank screen with both lineage recovery flashed to boot and TWRP set up as ramdisk :( There could be an undocumented hardware revision/different panel. That gitlab bug is about lineage recovery not TWRP.

I don't think this helps me, but interestingly, the TWRP ramdisk setup works perfectly with the Nokia android 10 stock boot image. No purplish screens. I stupidly didn't do any backups before I got started so I got Nokia stock partition images from this thread:

It's time for me to try this from the very beginning. I'm starting to worry that whatever the difference is between our phones might be what was causing my hangup. Which would mean no custom kernel for me.

EDIT: There are also a few comments about the display in LOS recovery here:
Interesting, I've seen your previous link too, that it's not TWRP. I had working Nokia 6.1 and blank screen with TWRP. So this one might be working with TWRP too. My clue is that when you have Android 9 on it before LOS, it's all good. If you have Android 10, it's going blank. Which version did you have?

aeeaan

Jan 29, 2022
I started from android 10. But I foolishly didn't back up my phone before installing lineage the first time. I'm sure I can locate a zip with all the partitions in it if I look, but for now I just have android 10 system/vendor/boot.

Does lineage not replace every important partition on the phone? If not, I'll certainly hunt down an android 9 firmware and try starting from there.

Maybe I'll poke around the sources mentioned in those threads, see if I can come up with a code diff that someone else might find useful. I've never built android/lineage before, could be an interesting project for me to do this week.

EDIT: Started from a pristine LOS install and I ended up in the same place as yesterday. I'm going take a break to 1) replace my macos install with some linux distro because the performance of my 2015 has been driving me mad lately and then 2) see if I can track down the relevant source code to the LOS recovery purple screen I'm getting. Not sure I can, C/Android/Driver dev isn't really my thing, but I know how to read a diff :)

EDIT2: This is disappointing but I don't see my specific 6.1 variant TA-1068 mentioned on lineage's 6.1 page. I hadn't noticed this before, way at the bottom of the phone specs they only list 2 of the 5 or 6 variants. I mean, who wants a phone w 3 gigs of ram when there's a model with 4. I guess it just means they didn't test this model and it may or may not work perfectly. Another variable to consider :(

EDIT3: Well, I thought it was the European version, but I think it's more likely this is the Chinese/Taiwan version. TA-1054. They all have the same specs outside of the radio bands.

Last edited:

yesimxev

May 8, 2017
I started from android 10. But I foolishly didn't back up my phone before installing lineage the first time. I'm sure I can locate a zip with all the partitions in it if I look, but for now I just have android 10 system/vendor/boot.

Does lineage not replace every important partition on the phone? If not, I'll certainly hunt down an android 9 firmware and try starting from there.

Maybe I'll poke around the sources mentioned in those threads, see if I can come up with a code diff that someone else might find useful. I've never built android/lineage before, could be an interesting project for me to do this week.

EDIT: Started from a pristine LOS install and I ended up in the same place as yesterday. I'm going take a break to 1) replace my macos install with some linux distro because the performance of my 2015 has been driving me mad lately and then 2) see if I can track down the relevant source code to the LOS recovery purple screen I'm getting. Not sure I can, C/Android/Driver dev isn't really my thing, but I know how to read a diff :)

EDIT2: This is disappointing but I don't see my specific 6.1 variant TA-1068 mentioned on lineage's 6.1 page. I hadn't noticed this before, way at the bottom of the phone specs they only list 2 of the 5 or 6 variants. I mean, who wants a phone w 3 gigs of ram when there's a model with 4. I guess it just means they didn't test this model and it may or may not work perfectly. Another variable to consider :(

EDIT3: Well, I thought it was the European version, but I think it's more likely this is the Chinese/Taiwan version. TA-1054. They all have the same specs outside of the radio bands.
That's a pity. Yes official files replace covers partitions. Anyway if that doesn't matter, you can easily downgrade with OSTLA to Android 9. There's also a region change service by @hikari_calyx but I'd try downgrading first

aeeaan

Jan 29, 2022
The phone is in English and was sold on ebay as a global phone. Unfortunately, there's no model number to be found on this thing and android only identifies it as Nokia 6.1. I tried 2 apps from the marketplace and still only got that. In any case, thanks for your help. I'm going to take a few days off from this before I try again. I bought this phone to be a dedicated nethunter learning device so I am not ready to give up.

p3t3r13

Mar 28, 2021
OnePlus 9
Installation worked for me. However, I'm not able to open a Kali shell with Nethunter terminal, the window closes just after selecting it. If I select Android Shell, and

su bootkali

It starts to mount, and then it says su: failed to execute /usr/bin/zsh: No such file or directory.

apt-get returns : /system/bin/sh: apt-get: inaccessible or not found

The Kali Chroot Manager is launched and working.

Did I missed something ? Thx
Hey bro, i had the same problem and i just downloaded and used all the files in the tutorial and skipped nothing, redo the process and everything should be fine

yesimxev

May 8, 2017
getting blank screen in recovery mode after command:
Bash:
fastboot flash boot <lineageos_recovery_file>.img

Also in LineageOS official site, they had updated to version 19.1
I use twrp.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (ignore the error)
fastboot boot twrp.imp - then you can install twrp to ramdisk in advanced, and flash things you need

Reactions: SahyogVishwakarma

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yaaa🤩🤞little confusion on installation process...
    Let me know what's that so I can clear it up 👍
    Iam already using LineageOS with LineageOS recovery.can I have to flash nethunter via adb sideload method???
    You can even do it if you copy on there, but you have to disable encryption first with format data, and Disabler zip. I have the same method on Xiaomi Mi A3
    Installation worked for me. However, I'm not able to open a Kali shell with Nethunter terminal, the window closes just after selecting it. If I select Android Shell, and

su bootkali

It starts to mount, and then it says su: failed to execute /usr/bin/zsh: No such file or directory.

apt-get returns : /system/bin/sh: apt-get: inaccessible or not found

The Kali Chroot Manager is launched and working.

Did I missed something ? Thx
    will bluetooth arsenal ever work?
    getting blank screen in recovery mode after command:
    Bash:
    fastboot flash boot <lineageos_recovery_file>.img

Also in LineageOS official site, they had updated to version 19.1
    I use twrp.
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (ignore the error)
    fastboot boot twrp.imp - then you can install twrp to ramdisk in advanced, and flash things you need