[ROM][OFFICIAL][kebab][11] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

the00guy

Jul 14, 2010
I found how to root: download official magisk from github. Rename .apk to .zip. Flash it in TWRP.
The issue is that I am not sure of how to handle slot A and B with root and updates.

And another question: which geolocation service shall I activate/install for those who use microG?
Recovery and bootloader are part of the same /boot partition on A/B devices so when you flash a recovery you need to reflash any boot related stuff like Magisk. There is a boot_a and a boot_b for each slot, so normally you'd have to switch slots and reflash to flash the opposite slot but Magisk takes care of this for you (not sure if TWRP does nowadays, used to have to flash TWRP, then Magisk, then switch slots and repeat).

Reactions: TheArt.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
Recovery and bootloader are part of the same /boot partition on A/B devices so when you flash a recovery you need to reflash any boot related stuff like Magisk. There is a boot_a and a boot_b for each slot, so normally you'd have to switch slots and reflash to flash the opposite slot but Magisk takes care of this for you (not sure if TWRP does nowadays, used to have to flash TWRP, then Magisk, then switch slots and repeat).
On the 8T, recovery and boot are physically separate partitions, even though the 8T is an A/B device.

TheArt.

On the 8T, recovery and boot are physically separate partitions, even though the 8T is an A/B device.

Thank you both, but still I am unsure of how to handle the 8T partitions, could you help me with these questions?:

1. Do I have to install TWRP on both slots? (I used fastboot flash recovery twrp.img the first time)

2. So the slots are like multiboot?

3. Can I have two different ROMs and use them both?

4. And what about kernels, do they have two slots too?

5. I had latest stock rom installed and I used copy_partition.zip before and after installing LineageOS. It bootlooped then I flashed LineageOS again and it worked. Now I am booting from slot_a. What happens if I now try to boot from slot_b? I mean, my data is shared between slots and only the system files are in two different slots or what?

6. Is there a step-by-step guide of how to update Lineage-OS while keeping twrp and magisk?

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
Thank you both, but still I am unsure of how to handle the 8T partitions, could you help me with these questions?:

1. Do I have to install TWRP on both slots? (I used fastboot flash recovery twrp.img the first time)

2. So the slots are like multiboot?

3. Can I have two different ROMs and use them both?

4. And what about kernels, do they have two slots too?

5. I had latest stock rom installed and I used copy_partition.zip before and after installing LineageOS. It bootlooped then I flashed LineageOS again and it worked. Now I am booting from slot_a. What happens if I now try to boot from slot_b? I mean, my data is shared between slots and only the system files are in two different slots or what?

6. Is there a step-by-step guide of how to update Lineage-OS while keeping twrp and magisk?
1. Not necessary, but see 6.
2. No. They are there solely to cater for seamless updates while the system is still running.
3. No. There's only one data partition and one super partition (it contains the "system" partitions).
4. Kernel = boot, so A and B
5. Try it - best way to learn. You can always swap slots again.
6. I don't use Los on my 8T, but: if Los supports addon.d then Magisk should stick. You will have to flash TWRP to the inactive slot (Los installs it's own recovery) when updating Los. Or you can use @osm0sis's TWRP retention module.

Reactions: TheArt.

TheArt.

Basic Updating Instructions (with ROOT)

Prerequisites:
- Already in the LineageOS Official Nightly
- MindTheGApps installed
- Rooted by Magisk via patched boot.img method

Updating to the latest Nightly:
- Go to Magisk and click Uninstall Magisk, then click "Restore Images".
- Go to Settings/System/Updater check updates and download.
- Install the downloaded update.
- Once installed (DO NOT CLICK REBOOT)
- Go to Magisk and click "INSTALL", choose "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA) and Flash then click "REBOOT" Botton in the lower right of the magisk.
- Wait for the optimization till it reboots.
- Done and Enjoy!

FAQ:
Q. Why I'm getting bootloop after updating via updater?
A. You're not using GApp package that are not addon.d v3 compliant
Q. Why I'm getting error from updating via adb sideload?
A. You're not rooted as stated to the above method. Flashed magisk zip can ends to bootloop!
Q. What is the best GApps package for Lineage?
A. MindTheGApps why? Because it's updateable.

Q. I don't want MindTheApps because it's huge and bloatty.
A. You may debloat the zip by removing or deleting this packages inside:
• AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt
• AndroidMigrateStubPrebuilt
• GoogleTTS
• PrebuiltExchange3Google
• talkback
• Velvet
Hi @Nixsuki , is this still valid? I am looking for a guide to update LOS while keeping twrp and root. Los updates include LOS recovery which will overwrite the TWRP. So do I have to flash the TWRP A/B retention script by osm0sis somewhere in the middle of your steps?

Basically I have 4 possible files to flash:
  1. lineageos latest version zip (or install with the lineage updater app, not sure)
  2. magisk.zip,
  3. copy_partitions.zip
  4. twrp_retention script zip
Which is the order of flashing those and how to proceed?

fiepi

Sep 16, 2016
www.fiepi.com
OnePlus 8T
$ getprop ro.product.model
KB2003
$ getprop ro.boot.rf_version

The model is not displayed correctly, my model is actually KB2000. You can refer to this code for correction.

Reactions: hotrodwinston

LuK1337

Recognized Developer
Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
Moto G 2014
$ getprop ro.product.model
KB2003
$ getprop ro.boot.rf_version

The model is not displayed correctly, my model is actually KB2000. You can refer to this code for correction.
Not interested in displaying correct model number.

enapah

Aug 9, 2014
Is the copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip referenced in the installation tutorial still available to download from the official LOS servers? I've searched the Extras and the 8T/kebab folder without success.

Tangentially related to that script, if I understand this correctly, the LOS ROM does not ship with the matching vendor firmware. Therefore, in order to keep it updated (or even compatible with LOS), I'll need to regularly check for any OxygenOS updates, extract the individual firmware images from the official ROM, and fastboot flash each image to both slots?

Dr. Mario

Jun 8, 2019
Helena
Google Pixel
OnePlus 6T
Is the copy-partitions-20210323_1922.zip referenced in the installation tutorial still available to download from the official LOS servers? I've searched the Extras and the 8T/kebab folder without success.

Tangentially related to that script, if I understand this correctly, the LOS ROM does not ship with the matching vendor firmware. Therefore, in order to keep it updated (or even compatible with LOS), I'll need to regularly check for any OxygenOS updates, extract the individual firmware images from the official ROM, and fastboot flash each image to both slots?
Personally, I just skip copy-partition zip file and run OxygenOS updater app twice to flash the same OS update zip on both boot slots prior to flashing LineageOS on it. Zero issues so far.

Reactions: enapah

imusorka

Aug 27, 2016
A few questions if I may.
  1. Is there a trick with fingerprints? I've only managed to register one. Others fail about half way through when no more attempts are given.
  2. Is it possible to have the lockscreen light up with new app notifications without touching the screen? AOD is a good option but not ideal battery-wise.
  3. On my old OP3 I configured Tasker to change a bunch of settings for each of the notification slider positions. I see that LOS has something similar with System Profiles (albeit not that deep) but is there a way to tie this to the notification slider?
  4. What kernel would be best for this marriage?
  5. Gcam version suggestions?

Dec 27, 2021
someone has tried to pass safetynet?

I have tried to use this thread below...

Universal SafetyNet Fix 1.1.0​

but no way to pass it... can you suggest some way?

Dior DNA

Aug 17, 2015
Hi all, (yes/no Question below)
First of all congrats with and thanks for LOS [11] on 1+8T.
Yesterday I installed it for the first time via 'adb sideload' from recovery
(together with 'gapps' and 'root'). It ended up in slot B. All goes well.
I have also updated firmware to latest OOS 11.0.12.12 in both slots.

I would like to maintain exact same ROM in *both* slots.
*but*: no 'root' in one slot.

That's because every now and then (seldom) I need to run an app that detects 'root' and it does not help to be hidden by Magisk: the app detects root.

I used same strategy on stock OOS with success.
I temprarily changed slot when I (seldom) needed to run the app.

Question: Suppose I 'adb sideload' exact same' ZIP from recovery.
Would it (yes/no) flash onto A (i.e. onto the other slot)? I *think* it will, i.e.: flash *other* slot (because to flash additional ZIP packages one first needs to reboot to recocery). But, unfortunately, I do not remember which slot was active right *before* I installed LOS. I *think* it was A. Thing is : both A and B were boot looping (after I made some mistakes) so I changed slot few times and decided to go for LOS. Thanks for help.

enapah

Aug 9, 2014
someone has tried to pass safetynet?

I have tried to use this thread below...

Universal SafetyNet Fix 1.1.0​

but no way to pass it... can you suggest some way?
You should look into this module:

Dec 27, 2021
You should look into this module:

Great! it worked.
for other noobs like me: just select the fingerprint option (1 and f) and follow the model. That's it! easy.

Thanks my friend! happy new year.

Reactions: Dior DNA

Dior DNA

Aug 17, 2015
Someone knows if it is yes or no ? I notice there is a TWRP img so I may try flashing other slot from TWRP
I figured out : adb sideload flashes lineageos in inactive slot. So basically one can flash it identically twice, once with and once without root. And one can (every now and then if needed) run without root.

Raketow

Jan 1, 2022
I am not able to install LineageOS updates with LineageOS updater any more. Download works but when I hit install, it just gives me "Install error" with no further information. The updater worked until I did some modifications to the device which might cause that error:
  1. Installed TWRP.
  2. Installed Aurora Services as system app using adb root, remount and push.
  3. Installed vendor firmware update as described here.
I went back to Lineage Recovery and was able to install an update of LineageOS through recovery but the LineageOS updater is still corrupt. I use LineageOS for microG. Any ideas how to get the LineageOS updater working again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tomorrow afternoon 3 p.m 😆
    More like few weeks after OOS12 kernel source is out.
    Yea this is interesting. Maybe we can try to pinpoint things we have in common. What is your 8T device model, firmware model and version, etc? I downgraded my YouTube version to the last v16 version and it seems to have helped somewhat, although it's not completely gone (and this could be placebo effect, I'm not sure).

I tried rewinding and replaying the video/audio when these drops/boosts occur, and it seems like it is occurring with the same pattern each listen, so I don't think this is some semi-random effect of another installed app interfering with the audio.
    I'm currently on a KB2000 on 11.0.13.13.KB05AA, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to that since this has been an issue for me since this ROM was first released. I've been back to it 3 times in the hope the issue was magically fixed, but alas no. So long story short, it's not firmware specific.

It's also not Youtube specific for me, so I'm convinced you're right about the placebo effect. If I download a video from Youtube (using an external program) I experience the exact same issue when playing that video in VLC (or MXPlayer) and for me that points to something in the audio signal path. It's definitely something related to either auto-volume leveling or audio compression. Something designed to prevent sudden loud noises that's overcompensating.

But yeah, it is really annoying and a dealbreaker for me. It's such a hassle to return to stock that I'm not going down the road of installing this again. Just wanted to add a +1 to your comment in the hope it helped it get noticed.

Don't try Lineage Microg or CalyxOS builds either in the hope it'll be better-- They have the exact same issue. Just giving you a heads-up there.
    i had the same problem. I read somewhere that Dynamic Range Control could couse these issues and confirmed that it was active on the build for oneplus 8t. After i flashed this : https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Alt-Repo/drc-remover which set drc to disabled, my issues with speaker volume is gone!
    Are you saying some (or all?) OOS12 firmware image files can still be used to be applied as upgrade? That would be great (but perhaps needs some documentation).
    I don't think you really understand what you're talking about...
    @LuK1337 : I wonder : OOS 12 changed partition layout ... is LOS for 1+8T going to do so as well? I ask because 1+8T has some bright years and upgrades to come, so I wonder how LOS will keep up to date with specific OOS firmware partitions. Thanks for your amazing work.
    GPT is still the same and super partition layout doesn't matter.
    I had not checked layout but obviously the block devices are the ones to upgrade and I see, for example, imagefv.img 11.0.13.13.KB05BA has size 20480 and imagefv.img KB2003_11.C.16 has size 1191936 so I am hesitant to fastboot flash a bigger one ...
    Let's just defer that discussion until builds that require Android 12 firmware are out, otherwise you'll just hurt yourself.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions :
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:
    tomorrow afternoon 3 p.m 😆
    More like few weeks after OOS12 kernel source is out.
    Yaay. The thread is back. :D
    How do you do backups? What would be a good way to keep backups if I wanted to flash this ROM on a semi daily basis? I noticed after flashing the ROM it asks if I want to restore from a backup.

Another observation as I flashed the GMS version last night is there was no gallery app. Maybe this is normal.

I would suggest Swift Backup. Was a titanium user, but I find Swift Backup to be better performing on Android 11.
    Yea this is interesting. Maybe we can try to pinpoint things we have in common. What is your 8T device model, firmware model and version, etc? I downgraded my YouTube version to the last v16 version and it seems to have helped somewhat, although it's not completely gone (and this could be placebo effect, I'm not sure).

I tried rewinding and replaying the video/audio when these drops/boosts occur, and it seems like it is occurring with the same pattern each listen, so I don't think this is some semi-random effect of another installed app interfering with the audio.
    I'm currently on a KB2000 on 11.0.13.13.KB05AA, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to that since this has been an issue for me since this ROM was first released. I've been back to it 3 times in the hope the issue was magically fixed, but alas no. So long story short, it's not firmware specific.

It's also not Youtube specific for me, so I'm convinced you're right about the placebo effect. If I download a video from Youtube (using an external program) I experience the exact same issue when playing that video in VLC (or MXPlayer) and for me that points to something in the audio signal path. It's definitely something related to either auto-volume leveling or audio compression. Something designed to prevent sudden loud noises that's overcompensating.

But yeah, it is really annoying and a dealbreaker for me. It's such a hassle to return to stock that I'm not going down the road of installing this again. Just wanted to add a +1 to your comment in the hope it helped it get noticed.

Don't try Lineage Microg or CalyxOS builds either in the hope it'll be better-- They have the exact same issue. Just giving you a heads-up there.
    i had the same problem. I read somewhere that Dynamic Range Control could couse these issues and confirmed that it was active on the build for oneplus 8t. After i flashed this : https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Alt-Repo/drc-remover which set drc to disabled, my issues with speaker volume is gone!