[ROM][OFFICIAL][kebab][11] LineageOS 18.1

Search This thread

OTAx1

Mar 13, 2019
Whatever that means.
You know I meant 4.19....

Changelog 26

"Let’s talk about legacy devices…

Bad news lies ahead, sadly. I know many of you were expecting the usual myriad of legacy devices to surprise you with a 19 release, but at the moment they won’t be.

This is due to AOSP’s removal of iptables in favor of eBPF. This is a newer, much more efficient kernel side implementation.

The issue lies in the fact that only devices with Linux kernel 4.9 or newer have the needed capabilities to make use of eBPF. Usually, these things can be backported to older kernel versions, but at the moment, even something as close to version 4.9 as 4.4 proved challenging due to the sheer number of commits and structure changes in BPF’s introduction. Those of you on a 4.4 kernel, fear not, a backport has been created, but for devices using kernel versions 3.18 and below, this may be the end of the road. If you become aware of a functional backport, or create one yourself, feel free to let us know via devrel(at)lineageos.org!

Additionally, iptables can’t be restored in any meaningful way, which makes things all the harder. At the moment, with some hacky workarounds (that we won’t be merging, as they break packet filtering, etc.) legacy devices can boot, but until a proper workaround/backport of BPF is brought to older kernel versions, don’t expect legacy devices to ship LineageOS 19."

Last edited:

OTAx1

Mar 13, 2019
If you are able to make it happen, great. I don't see anywhere that's the case so far.

pacman366

Jan 12, 2009
I'm in no rush. LOS 18 on this device is solid and support for 18 should in band until LOS 20 is released which shouldn't happen for a other year and a half.

@LuK1337

Great work on supporting this platform. I've got another modest donation headed your way when LOS 19 is ready on kebab. :D

Reactions: Lz3807775t

CarranTise

Jul 11, 2022
Hey all, just joined the 8T family with my new phone this week. I have LOS and Gapps installed, but does anyone have any recent guides for installing Magisk and rooting?

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
Hey all, just joined the 8T family with my new phone this week. I have LOS and Gapps installed, but does anyone have any recent guides for installing Magisk and rooting?

Actually it's pretty straight forward. Same way you installed Gapps.

- So you installed LOS, using ADB sideload.
- Reboot recovery.
- ADB sideload Gapps
- ADB sideload Magisk.
- Reboot to system.

I haven't tried the official Magisk in a while, still using vvb2060's builds. Either should work fine. Just remember to sideload you need to change the apk ending to zip. To install the app in Android, it needs to be apk.

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
You know I meant 4.19....

Changelog 26

"Let’s talk about legacy devices…

Bad news lies ahead, sadly. I know many of you were expecting the usual myriad of legacy devices to surprise you with a 19 release, but at the moment they won’t be.

This is due to AOSP’s removal of iptables in favor of eBPF. This is a newer, much more efficient kernel side implementation.

The issue lies in the fact that only devices with Linux kernel 4.9 or newer have the needed capabilities to make use of eBPF. Usually, these things can be backported to older kernel versions, but at the moment, even something as close to version 4.9 as 4.4 proved challenging due to the sheer number of commits and structure changes in BPF’s introduction. Those of you on a 4.4 kernel, fear not, a backport has been created, but for devices using kernel versions 3.18 and below, this may be the end of the road. If you become aware of a functional backport, or create one yourself, feel free to let us know via devrel(at)lineageos.org!

Additionally, iptables can’t be restored in any meaningful way, which makes things all the harder. At the moment, with some hacky workarounds (that we won’t be merging, as they break packet filtering, etc.) legacy devices can boot, but until a proper workaround/backport of BPF is brought to older kernel versions, don’t expect legacy devices to ship LineageOS 19."
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what about using something like nftables? I'm guessing it probably be just as much work (or more) than restoring iptables?

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
This isn't even an issue that effects the 8t. All updates for it have had kernels new enough to work with eBPF.
Ok cool. That's good to know. I'm still curious as a hypothetical, if anyone knows if that's a feasible solution.

I'm assuming not, but it looks like several desktop Linux distros are going that route. So I'm curious. Although I don't think it would be any less work than just reimplementing iptables.

Last edited:

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
I tried searching, but I'm seeing mixed answers. Is rooting with magisk working with this ROM? What is the procedure for rooting? This will be my first time since adb side load has replaced TWRP. The instructions from the LineageOS 8t page seems pretty straightforward, I'm just wondering where magisk fits into that procedure

luspi

Jul 28, 2017
I tried searching, but I'm seeing mixed answers. Is rooting with magisk working with this ROM? What is the procedure for rooting? This will be my first time since adb side load has replaced TWRP. The instructions from the LineageOS 8t page seems pretty straightforward, I'm just wondering where magisk fits into that procedure
I'm using it rooted with Magisk, works just fine. Just follow the steps described in the installation instructions (especially step 6) and you should be good to go.

TheJabusz

Mar 2, 2014
Is anyone else able to disable the screenshot shortcut for volume down + power button? When i do it the screenshot shortcut still triggers, trying to figure out if that's some tiny bug or if i scuffed it myself somehow.

D Miller

Mar 15, 2018
Google Pixel 5
The blog post says anything below kernel 4.9 does not work out of the box. This ROM uses 4.19.
(Question not to this person specifically, but anyone that might have some insight.) What are the chances of this device getting a newer kernel? I ask this as someone still very much trying to learn enough to properly understand and navigate this hobby.

Reactions: Lz3807775t

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
(Question not to this person specifically, but anyone that might have some insight.) What are the chances of this device getting a newer kernel? I ask this as someone still very much trying to learn enough to properly understand and navigate this hobby.
I'm probably not the right person to be answering but I'm going to take a stab at it anyways. Android devices rarely get a new kernel. They usually get Hardware vulnerability mitigations and security patches backported to the kernel it came with. With the occasional exception. But since lineage pretty much does what Android does in AOSP, I wouldn't expect that to happen.

But I'm more of a Linux admin and less of an Android expert. So maybe someone will chime in and correct me.

Last edited:

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
Okay, I managed to get ColorOS 12 downgraded to OxygenOS 11, LineageOS from this thread flashed, rooted, and opengapp pico installed (attempted Nano, but adb said the system partition was too small). Just wanted to give people the breakdown of what I did, but you should probably follow the official instructions first, and use mine as a last resort.

1. Downgrade to OxygenOS 11 (this is NOT optional!). You absolutely can't do this from ColorOS 12, and will soft brick (repairable but annoying) your phone by trying on ColorOS 12 (ask me how I know, lol). I used MSM tool which I found here in XDA in the 8t section to downgrade. Once on Android 11:

2. Unlock the Bootloader.

2a. Enable developer options by clicking build number 7 times

2b. Enable adb and OEM unlocking in developer options

3. Install adb and fastboot (on ubuntu Linux use: sudo apt install adb fastboot)

4. Plug the phone in and "trust" the computer.

5. Reboot to download mode

6. Run "fastboot oem unlock" (this will wipe your phone and delete data)

6b. I'm shoehorning in here because I forgot: I did flash the "copy partitions" zip made by the LineageOS team, and you should also, probably. I used adb for this, following the instructions from the LineageOS wiki page for the 8t

7. Flash LineageOS recovery corresponding to the LineageOS build

8. reboot into recovery

9. Select "apply update/update from adb"

10. Adb sideload LineageOS zip

11. Reboot to recovery and repeat with Magisk and gapps, if desired. Rebooting to recovery between every file flashed.

And I'm now on LineageOS with magisk, and gapps. Now to figure out the new magisk hide implementation...

Reactions: ..Cory..

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
11. Reboot to recovery and repeat with Magisk and gapps, if desired. Rebooting to recovery between every file flashed.

And I'm now on LineageOS with magisk, and gapps. Now to figure out the new magisk hide implementation...

Obviously you have to reboot to recovery after flashing LOS. However you don't need to reboot to recovery after flashing Gapps. I always just flash Gapps, and Magisk in one go, then reboot to system. It won't hurt anything, but should save you a reboot.

On Magisk, go to settings, and flip the swtich that says Enforce DenyList, then select Configure DenyList. You may want to Hide / Rename Magisk as well, also in the Settings section.

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
Obviously you have to reboot to recovery after flashing LOS. However you don't need to reboot to recovery after flashing Gapps. I always just flash Gapps, and Magisk in one go, then reboot to system. It won't hurt anything, but should save you a reboot.

On Magisk, go to settings, and flip the swtich that says Enforce DenyList, then select Configure DenyList. You may want to Hide / Rename Magisk as well, also in the Settings section.
Ok! That's good to know about the recovery rebooting.

And unfortunately that's not working for my banking and Google pay. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I haven't used magisk since they removed hide, so I'm probably just missing something.

Thanks!

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
And unfortunately that's not working for my banking and Google pay. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I haven't used magisk since they removed hide, so I'm probably just missing something.

I don't use Google Pay, I very rarely install my banking app (only to occasionally deposit a check), but it does work. I am also using these modules, perhaps they are helping me:

MagiskHide Props Config - Changes the device finger print. I am using the 8T finger print on our device. You can set it to anything though in theory. Use a terminal emulator with root privileges, (so run the command, su), then run the command props

Safetynet Fix - This for a brief moment, was absolutely necessary. Haven't tried without it. But it doesn't hurt anything either, at least not that I've seen.

Those are the only ones I'm running that should make a difference. You shouldn't need the Busybox one as it should be built into the Props one at this point.

I did switch to vvb2060's builds of Magisk quite a while ago. They seem to be built more regularly. However the official builds should obviously work as well.

Reactions: HTC_OneS

thefanum

Dec 27, 2011
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 7T
I don't use Google Pay, I very rarely install my banking app (only to occasionally deposit a check), but it does work. I am also using these modules, perhaps they are helping me:

MagiskHide Props Config - Changes the device finger print. I am using the 8T finger print on our device. You can set it to anything though in theory. Use a terminal emulator with root privileges, (so run the command, su), then run the command props

Safetynet Fix - This for a brief moment, was absolutely necessary. Haven't tried without it. But it doesn't hurt anything either, at least not that I've seen.

Those are the only ones I'm running that should make a difference. You shouldn't need the Busybox one as it should be built into the Props one at this point.

I did switch to vvb2060's builds of Magisk quite a while ago. They seem to be built more regularly. However the official builds should obviously work as well.
Perfect. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The build.prop files have model=KB2005 ... so Oxygen updater today mentions image KB2005_11_C.35 for download. Would it be safe for me as root to change build.prop files to have model=KB2003 in order make Oxygen updater look for KB05BA EU images instead?
    ...you could always just look at oxygen updater settings.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions :
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
    restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:
    tomorrow afternoon 3 p.m 😆
    More like few weeks after OOS12 kernel source is out.
    Yaay. The thread is back. :D
    Any update about LOS 19 ?
    Yep, everyone already has it except you. We were about to call you, but you ruined it by asking.
    There are already oos 12 firmware based roms available so I asked if LOS 19 is coming soon or not.

It appears OnePlus still has not released OOS 12 Kernel source. (<-- Github link)

See these issue links in particular:

Where are the DTS in the OOS12 kernel source?

GPL Violation: OOS12 kernel_oneplus_sm8250 sources have not been released

I linked to two of these issues, there are a ton of them actually, they are scattered across Github, across many devices. Then again across many Reddit threads. OnePlus apprently doesn't care about GPL and doesn't care about releasing the code as they are supposed to.