[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 17.1 for Pixel 2 / 2 XL

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
Apr 26, 2018
Melbourne

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
  • Bluetooth
  • Wi-Fi
  • Camera
  • Video Recording
  • Video Playback
  • Audio ( Record and Playback )
  • Sensors
  • Flash
  • Led

What's not working

• Active Edge (support will not be added. Explanation here)
  • Feel free to report any other issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally gapps and the TWRP installer zip.
  2. Reboot to bootloader
  3. Wipe userdata (fastboot format userdata)
  4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
  5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
  6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
  7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (OpenGapps micro or smaller are recommended)
  8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
  9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

A more detailed installation guide can be found here.

Updates

Simply update from the Lineage Updater in Settings and reboot or repeat steps 4 - 10. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip. Gapps MUST be reflashed if taking an update via Lineage recovery or TWRP. Lineage updater will automatically restore gapps up to nano in size.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
  • javelinanddart
  • RaymanFX
  • Sultanxda
  • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 2 telegram group here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
Apr 26, 2018
Melbourne
Changelog

10/09/20

• Initial official 17.1 release for taimen / walleye

28/08/20

• Fixed addon.d not restoring gapps after taking an update from lineage updater
  • Added the ability to restrict USB gadgets when the device is locked (Trust HAL)
  • Added Nintendo joy-con and Switch Pro Controller support
  • Added Trebuchet icon pack support
  • Various bug fixes and improvements

04/08/20

• August ASB
  • Expandable volume slider
  • Minor device tree improvements

24/07/20

• Fixed WiFi calling for various carriers
  • Corrected several proprietary blob signatures
  • Removed unneeded SSRestartDetector blob

08/07/20

• July ASB
  • Fixed kernel panics that can occur on the stock kernel
  • Added infinite caffeine ability in QS
  • Added LineageOS clock style

04/06/20

• June ASB
  • Linux 4.4.210
  • Updated firmware from June factory images
  • Implemented hide gestural navigation bar
  • Implemented quick QS brightness slider
  • Fixed a strange wallpaper bug

27/05/20

• Properly implemented Black Theme in Settings -> Display -> Dark theme
  • Implemented dark theme for AOSP Dialer, Messaging and Contacts apps
  • Added option to exclude the top of the screen from the back gesture area
  • Updated AOSP Dialer, Messaging, Contacts and Clock apps to sdk29

11/05/20

• Google splash screen is now always black, irrespective of light or dark theme

05/05/20

• May ASB
  • Switched to source generated dtbo
  • Various bug fixes

22/04/20

• Improved UI performance (thanks Sultan)
  • Fixed all known Browser bugs and crashes from Kotlin rewrite
  • Added black theme for Settings to Styles
  • Added option for translucent notification background
  • Added option for modifying charging sounds
  • Removed adjustable QS tile for location services (didn't work previously)
  • Various bug fixes

18/04/20

• Browser has been rewritten in Kotlin
  • Music app has recieved several UI enhancements
  • ADB can now be enabled in Lineage recovery
  • Various bug fixes

13/04/20

• April ASB
  • Rebased on Lineage OS reviewed trees (yay!)
  • Added AOD quicksettings tile
  • Added the ability to restrict per-app Wi-Fi, cellular and VPN usage
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

31/03/20

• Fixed Android Auto
  • Enabled Snap camera
  • Sync with Lineage OS source

25/03/20

• Lineage OS recovery bundled with the ROM and can now be used instead of TWRP to install ROM updates, OpenGapps, AnyKernel3 and Magisk v20.4
  • Sync with Lineage OS source

21/03/20

• Fixed bugs introduced by building custom vendor.img
  • Fixed Sim manager crashing on initial setup
  • AudioFX now works for headphones
  • Only built relevant kernel modules for each device
  • Removed signature spoofing permission group (smali patcher can be used instead)
  • Synced with Lineage OS source

17/03/20

• Initial walleye support
  • First Pixel 2 ROM to ship a vendor.img built from source
  • Bundled latest bootloader and modem (you no longer need to flash factory images when updating or installing)
  • /vendor is now r/w
  • TWRP can now mount vendor
  • Battery light now works and reenabled RGB options for notification LED
  • Killed bugreport service
  • Corrected hw_random permissions to reflect AOSP
  • Configured Snap Camera overlay to use camera api v2
  • Add signature spoofing permission group
  • Fixed no notification sounds being set by default

14/03/20

• Synced with Lineage OS sources
  • Enabled Ambient Display burn in protection overlay
  • Removed even more redundant stuff from device trees
  • Stopped unsupported network options from being shown

10/03/20

• Fixed some bugs from March ASB
  • Removed some redundant stuff from device trees
  • Synced with Lineage OS sources

06/03/20

• March ASB
  • Updated device trees and proprietary blobs for March ASB
  • Disabled some excessive userdebug logging

01/03/20

• Removed Pixel Gapps build
  • Added system r/w support
  • Fixed OpenGapps being unable to mount /system for installation
  • Trebuchet is now the default launcher
  • Updated vendor/google to blueprint format and cleaned up proprietary blobs
  • Cleaned up device trees

15/02/20

• February ASB
  • Fixed SystemUI lag that was present on the initial build
  • Fixed SafetyNet issues (basic integrity and CTS are now both passing)
  • Fixed Quickstep multitasking bug (Switched to Pixel Launcher)
  • SELinux is now enforcing
  • Added an optional build without pixel gapps included
  • Fixed kernel fast charging issues
  • Added Pixel 4 live wallpapers
  • Switched to Google webview instead of AOSP webview

17/10/19

• Initial release
  • October ASB

Last edited:

ismael47

Dec 9, 2013
Thank you for keeping our pixel alive when the next update to fix all these errors greeting I would like to make a donation for this project.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Thank you for keeping our pixel alive when the next update to fix all these errors greeting I would like to make a donation for this project.

Reactions: Eamo5

zook

Jan 28, 2008
I'll definitely be watching this project. While I wont install it for now due to the few bugs it does have, I'm sure all of you have done a great job so far.

Reactions: Eamo5

Bailx

Feb 24, 2012
i tried the permissive version, couldn't ever get it to boot up.... wonder if it's the version of TWRP i was using (3.3.0.0) i might have to try an older version... i did see some permission errors during the install... (should have taken a picture) i'm prob. headed back to your lineage 16 build for now... thanks for this though... really looking forward to it. thanks

just a side note about TWRP - really wish they would disable the screen timeout option by default.....
i'm flashing lineage 16.... screen goes black.... can't get it back on at all.... had to force reboot and start over....
that's happened on a LOT of other phones too (i've been using cyanogenmod a LONG time).... aggrivating default feature (just a suggestion to maybe put in any future instructions to go into TWRP settings and disable that crap) / rant over lol sorry

Last edited:

Edmontonchef

Nov 30, 2016
edmonton
i tried the permissive version, couldn't ever get it to boot up.... wonder if it's the version of TWRP i was using (3.3.0.0) i might have to try an older version... i did see some permission errors during the install... (should have taken a picture) i'm prob. headed back to your lineage 16 build for now... thanks for this though... really looking forward to it. thanks

just a side note about TWRP - really wish they would disable the screen timeout option by default.....
i'm flashing lineage 16.... screen goes black.... can't get it back on at all.... had to force reboot and start over....
that's happened on a LOT of other phones too (i've been using cyanogenmod a LONG time).... aggrivating default feature (just a suggestion to maybe put in any future instructions to go into TWRP settings and disable that crap) / rant over lol sorry
That and the TWRP app installer. That'll mess things up in a hurry if you swipe it.

Bailx

Feb 24, 2012
goddammit twrp and the friggin screen timeout.... you have to start all over .... dumbest ****in option ever.... please start adding a reminder in your guides to DISABLE SCREEN TIMEOUT - because it destroys lives.... uuuuughhh

primed1

Dec 18, 2011
Atlanta
Can you post builds without GApps please? Literally the only reason I use Lineage OS is because I can choose to have a Google-free experience, and your ROM doesn't give me that option. Kinda goes against Lineage's philosophy, no? People can flash GApps packages if they like, but it's impossible to remove GApps from a package. Thanks!

Reactions: platinumthomas

crixley

May 25, 2012
Can you post builds without GApps please? Literally the only reason I use Lineage OS is because I can choose to have a Google-free experience, and your ROM doesn't give me that option. Kinda goes against Lineage's philosophy, no? People can flash GApps packages if they like, but it's impossible to remove GApps from a package. Thanks!
Have you ever tried flashing gapps on an a/b partition phone?

I think having both posted would make more sense, though that's a lot of work for maybe one or two outliers.

primed1

Dec 18, 2011
Atlanta
Have you ever tried flashing gapps on an a/b partition phone?

I think having both posted would make more sense, though that's a lot of work for maybe one or two outliers.
Have you ever tried to remove GApps from a ROM that contains them?

I disagree with you on the front that having a separate build without GApps is more work because when Lineage is built from source, it's built without GApps. Technically, adding GApps to the finished ROM manually is more work; not to mention that adding GApps to the ROM makes updates much larger to download and install.
I get that including Google apps makes it one step easier for a lot of users, but it also takes away choice for a lot of security-centric users, and those that may not want all of the Google apps pre-installed on this ROM.
And isn't the whole point of Android and LineageOS choice?

crixley

May 25, 2012
Have you ever tried to remove GApps from a ROM that contains them?

I disagree with you on the front that having a separate build without GApps is more work because when Lineage is built from source, it's built without GApps. Technically, adding GApps to the finished ROM manually is more work; not to mention that adding GApps to the ROM makes updates much larger to download and install.
I get that including Google apps makes it one step easier for a lot of users, but it also takes away choice for a lot of security-centric users, and those that may not want all of the Google apps pre-installed on this ROM.
And isn't the whole point of Android and LineageOS choice?
So build your own without? Again you're a drop in a bucket of water.

primed1

Dec 18, 2011
Atlanta
So build your own without? Again you're a drop in a bucket of water.
Apologies if I came off as combative, I was just making a suggestion to the developer of this ROM that I think more than a "drop in a bucket of water" of people would also appreciate. Thank you for your suggestions though, and have a nice day! :)