• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 17.1 for Pixel 2 / 2 XL

Search This thread

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
This ROM on my walleye runs flawlessly. Have had a crash with carrier services a couple times but everything works. I run this with MicroG and I get around 6 hours of screen on time, most of that spent browsing reddit and watching youtube/twitch streams.

Great job @Eamo5, thanks for breathing life into walleye's development.
Thanks for your kind words. If you happen to have any more of those pesky crashes please fetch a logcat and PM it to me and I'll do what I can to fix them. I think you should only have issues with sim manager crashing on gappsless which is unavoidable as it depends on Google stuff. Thanks again.

Reactions: Shmi117

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Installed 03/31/2020 last night. Only disappointment so far is I can't still edit build.prop. I've tried root explorer and solid explorer. Am I missing something? I'm just trying to do the hotspot no provisioning mod.

Separate issue.. does Call Screening work for anyone? I installed the Google phone app, changed one of the flags in /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/shared_prefs/dialer_phenotype_flags.xml and got the call screen menu to show up but it's not activated. Also tried the magisk module but still have "Wifi required for activation". And Yes I do have Wifi on :D

Last edited:
Reactions: YoungFiire

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
Installed 03/31/2020 last night. Only disappointment so far is I can't still edit build.prop. I've tried root explorer and solid explorer. Am I missing something? I'm just trying to do the hotspot no provisioning mod.

Separate issue.. does Call Screening work for anyone? I installed the Google phone app, changed one of the flags in /data/data/com.google.android.dialer/shared_prefs/dialer_phenotype_flags.xml and got the call screen menu to show up but it's not activated. Also tried the magisk module but still have "Wifi required for activation". And Yes I do have Wifi on :D
I can modify my build.prop fine with root access using FX although I can't say I've tested this extensively. You can also try using FKM.

Call screening requires GoogleDialer to be installed to /system/product/priv-app/ from what I understand. We don't do that as we ship the AOSP Dialer instead of Google's proprietary implementation. I think you should be able to restore this functionality by installing the GoogleDialer.apk as a priv-app. A root file explorer should do the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: drt054

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I can modify my build.prop fine with root access using FX although I can't say I've tested this extensively. You can also try using FKM.

Call screening requires GoogleDialer to be installed to /system/product/priv-app/ from what I understand. We don't do that as we ship the AOSP Dialer instead of Google's proprietary implementation. I think you should be able to restore this functionality by installing the GoogleDialer.apk as a priv-app. A root file explorer should do the trick.

YES!!!! Call Screening is working!!!! I used App Systemizer in Magisk to reinstall Google Dialer 'phone.apk' to /system/priv-app/ and had to make that 'phone' the default app again and it works. Thanks!!!

Also FX explorer worked well on build.prop. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eamo5

TheNullZero

Apr 4, 2020
I normally don't post, just lurk.

I was on stock for about a year, and it was overheating for some reason.

I decided to try this out, and it's amazing.

Was on Lineage for my Pixel XL OG, so figured this would be meh since it's not official.

It works AMAZINGLY.

Thank you.

Reactions: capedukewuhaha

magi44ken

Jan 31, 2014
First time helping someone to install the LineageOS for his Pixel 2 XL. What special Pixel features works with this ROM such as the Google Dialer with call screening, Google Recorder, etc? Thanks

Last edited:

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
Lineage OS 17.1 (13/04/20)

• April ASB
  • Rebased on Lineage OS reviewed trees (yay!)
  • Added AOD quick settings tile
  • Added the ability to restrict per-app Wi-Fi, cellular and VPN data usage
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

I should also add that as of April 1st, all new OpenGapps packages from opengapps.org should install fine with Lineage recovery. If you were having issues at the end of the installer that should now be fixed. I've also opened a pull request for Sultan to update his AnyKernel3 installer to support lineage recovery. Don't worry about harassing him about it, I'm already all over it :p. Massive thanks to razorloves yet again on helping clean up our device trees.

Happy Easter :)

EDIT: whoops I forgot to add the kernel patch that allows CTS to pass. You can either flash a custom kernel, or flash magisk and enable magisk hide or wait a little bit for me to upload a new boot.img. Apologies I forgot to add this patch upon rebasing.

Last edited:

tcables

Mar 24, 2020
Thanks so much! I have two, Pixel 2 XLs, and both are on tracfone. One is using AT&T, one is using Verizon.

I'm running this rom with nothing else added but magisk.

I'm wondering why they have around 5 Verizon exes running? It would make sense for possibly one of them to have that, if the Sim card forced it? But not the AtT&T one. I mean both feel like they shouldn't have it, but at least one shouldn't.

Is this forced by the Sim, or is it part of the rom?

Again, thanks so much for maintaining this device!

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
Thanks so much! I have two, Pixel 2 XLs, and both are on tracfone. One is using AT&T, one is using Verizon.

I'm running this rom with nothing else added but magisk.

I'm wondering why they have around 5 Verizon exes running? It would make sense for possibly one of them to have that, if the Sim card forced it? But not the AtT&T one. I mean both feel like they shouldn't have it, but at least one shouldn't.

Is this forced by the Sim, or is it part of the rom?

Again, thanks so much for maintaining this device!
Thank you for your kind words. I ship proprietary Verizon APKs that need to be preinstalled as System apps, but they should be disabled by default unless you're using Verizon as your carrier.

I'm not sure if you're using separate backups for your taimens but there's a chance you might've restored the Verizon taimen backup onto your AT&T phone and inherently restored the Verizon apps accidentally.

Reactions: BarryPooter

tcables

Mar 24, 2020
No backup restoring. These are fresh phones.

The photo attached is from the At&t phone. You can't see these apps normal I think they are hidden system apps, but from what I see when I click system details they show that they are running.

Attachments

• signal-2020-04-12-234508.png
    signal-2020-04-12-234508.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 416

Gingernut78

Sep 17, 2011
Lineage OS 17.1 (13/04/20)

• April ASB
  • Rebased on Lineage OS reviewed trees (yay!)
  • Added AOD quick settings tile
  • Added the ability to restrict per-app Wi-Fi, cellular and VPN usage
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes

I should also add that as of April 1st, all new OpenGapps packages from https://opengapps.org/ should install fine with Lineage recovery. If you we're having issues at the end of the installer that should now be fixed. I've also opened a pull request for Sultan to update his AnyKernel3 installer to support lineage recovery. Don't worry about harassing him about it, I'm already all over it :p

Happy Easter :)

Does this install Lineage recovery over TWRP after first flash from stock?

Thx for supporting the Pixel 2 XL

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
No backup restoring. These are fresh phones.

The photo attached is from the At&t phone. You can't see these apps normal I think they are hidden system apps, but from what I see when I click system details they show that they are running.
I wouldn't take titanium backups word for which services are actively running. They should all be disabled in your case. All carrier specific APKs will be enabled if a SIM has not be installed or if a SIM hasn't been activated yet.

Does this install Lineage recovery over TWRP after first flash from stock?

Thx for supporting the Pixel 2 XL
Yes. Every time you flash the lineage zip, a new boot.img is flashed hence undoing the ramdisk modifications that the TWRP installer makes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gingernut78

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
So I forgot to include a kernel patch that allows CTS to pass without Magisk hide in yesterdays build. If you've flashed a custom kernel, you probably don't need to worry about this. Anyway I've uploaded some new boot.img files you can fastboot flash for taimen and walleye. I've updated the builds in the OP to include this by default. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
Lineage OS 17.1 (18/04/20)

• Browser has been rewritten in Kotlin
  • Music app has received several UI enhancements
  • ADB can now be enabled in Lineage recovery
  • Various bug fixes

EDIT: Browser appears to have some bugs in it at the moment. I've passed along some logs to the Lineage team so these should be soon. If you use the included Browser as your default browser, I'd advise you wait a few days longer on this update. So far we've got one essential bug fix merged

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi
    • Camera
    • Video Recording
    • Video Playback
    • Audio ( Record and Playback )
    • Sensors
    • Flash
    • Led

What's not working

• Active Edge (support will not be added. Explanation here)
    • Feel free to report any other issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally gapps and the TWRP installer zip.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Wipe userdata (fastboot format userdata)
    4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
    5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
    6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
    7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (OpenGapps micro or smaller are recommended)
    8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
    9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

A more detailed installation guide can be found here.

Updates

Simply update from the Lineage Updater in Settings and reboot or repeat steps 4 - 10. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip. Gapps MUST be reflashed if taking an update via Lineage recovery or TWRP. Lineage updater will automatically restore gapps up to nano in size.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
    • javelinanddart
    • RaymanFX
    • Sultanxda
    • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 2 telegram group here.
    Lineage OS 17.1 (27/05/20)

• Properly implemented Black Theme in Settings -> Display -> Dark theme
    • Implemented dark theme for AOSP Dialer, Messaging and Contacts apps
    • Added option to exclude the top of the screen from the back gesture area
    • Updated AOSP Dialer, Messaging, Contacts and Clock apps to sdk29
    • Various bug fixes and improvements
    Lineage OS 17.1 (21/03/20)

• Fixed bugs introduced by building custom vendor.img
    • AudioFX now works for headphones
    • Only built relevant kernel modules for each device
    • Removed signature spoofing permission group (smali patcher can be used instead)
    • Synced with Lineage OS source
    Lineage OS 17.1 (22/04/20)

• Improved UI performance (thanks Sultan)
    • Fixed all known Browser bugs and crashes from Kotlin rewrite
    • Added black theme for Settings to Styles
    • Added option for translucent notification background
    • Added option for modifying charging sounds
    • Removed adjustable QS tile for location services (didn't work previously)
    • Various bug fixes
    Lineage OS 17.1 (15/02/20)

• February ASB
    • Fixed SystemUI lag that was present on the initial build
    • Fixed SafetyNet issues (basic integrity and CTS are now both passing)
    • Fixed Quickstep multitasking bug (Switched to Pixel Launcher)
    • SELinux is now enforcing
    • Added an optional build without pixel gapps included
    • Fixed kernel fast charging issues
    • Added Pixel 4 live wallpapers
    • Switched to Google webview instead of AOSP webview

This build fixes all remaining major bugs. Please feel free to let me know any remaining issues you may have. Enjoy :)