[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 18.1 for Pixel 2 / 2 XL

Search This thread

btbs

Nov 6, 2010
MindTheGapps works perfectly fine with Magisk 22.1 for me, so I'm not sure where this misinformation about MindTheGapps being incompatible with Magisk is coming from?
@Eamo5, it's not misinformation, it's simply reporting what happened. As reported in earlier post when I tried the LOS18.1 + MindTheGapps + Magisk the phone wouldn't boot. LOS18.1 + MindTheGapps booted ok. I tried several different options but the only way I could get it to boot rooted was LOS18.1 + NikGapps + Magisk.

Also you do not need to clean flash to switch gapps packages. Dirty flash should be fine if you do it in recovery, although a clean flash is always preferred.
I'd love to go back to MindTheGapps. Just to confirm: if I dirty flash MindTheGapps do I need to reflash Magisk?

Reactions: 73sydney

Tree4ever

Nov 17, 2014
Dortmund
Want to flash clean on latest TWRP only rom+mindthegapps. Is there a sufficient chance that all works, especially completely google maps/ can some users confirm this?

With best regards.

neilth

• Mar 26, 2015
    My two and a half year old 2XL is working well with this LOS 18.1 ROM. The Google Maps app appears to be working perfectly. The only issue I have is a warning message after booting up telling me that the settings app has closed, which I ignore and click OK to. Every app I open works as expected.
    Now that this ROM is an official release, it will be kept updated and working well.

Reactions: Tree4ever

Tree4ever

Nov 17, 2014
    Dortmund
    Thanks,so I will try out LOS 18.1 today or in the next few days.The reason is that official LOS 17.1 suppport is discontinued.If there are any problems,I will contact again.

Back to the roots! Small, lean and fast.
    I installed the 20210406 yesterday evening. After struggeling a little bit with the sideload/flash/boot commands, the install went very smoth. I am new to the Pixel&LOS as i am coming from Samsungs Odin/TWRP/LOS :) Anyway installed the older version, and as the next step, i tried the OTA updater which worked perfectly. BTW, i didnt install any Google- or "root" stuff. Everything is working fine without google, except my "Flightradar24" which will not start without the GPlay Services. German Telekom's "Magenta-Cloud" is moaning, but is working fine at the end. All other ~40 of myapps are working without problems. My next Updates are the Official LOS 18.1 for the Galaxy S5 when it's released and the Pixel3 LOS 19.1 in ~ 1 year.

So @Eamo5: Many many thanks for your work !!!

Eamo5

Recognized Developer
    Will my apps and data be preserved if I upgrade from official LOS 17.1?
    Yes. Please read the wiki

My two and a half year old 2XL is working well with this LOS 18.1 ROM. The Google Maps app appears to be working perfectly. The only issue I have is a warning message after booting up telling me that the settings app has closed, which I ignore and click OK to. Every app I open works as expected.
    Now that this ROM is an official release, it will be kept updated and working well.
    This is usually indicative of an issue with gapps. If you pm me a pastebin of the logcat I'll have a look.

@Eamo5, it's not misinformation, it's simply reporting what happened. As reported in earlier post when I tried the LOS18.1 + MindTheGapps + Magisk the phone wouldn't boot. LOS18.1 + MindTheGapps booted ok. I tried several different options but the only way I could get it to boot rooted was LOS18.1 + NikGapps + Magisk.

I'd love to go back to MindTheGapps. Just to confirm: if I dirty flash MindTheGapps do I need to reflash Magisk?
    For what it is worth, I can't reproduce your scenario on my Pixel 2 so it seems more likely that some form of user error has occurred. A gapps package should have no impact on your ability to boot with Magisk.

You need to dirty flash the ROM before MindTheGapps so yes, you would need to reflash magisk.

baxxter106

Jan 24, 2011
    Luebeck
    Google Pixel 2 XL
    Yes. Please read the wiki

This is usually indicative of an issue with gapps. If you pm me a pastebin of the logcat I'll have a look.

For what it is worth, I can't reproduce your scenario on my Pixel 2 so it seems more likely that some form of user error has occurred. A gapps package should have no impact on your ability to boot with Magisk.

You need to dirty flash the ROM before MindTheGapps so yes, you would need to reflash magisk.
    Sorry, @Eamo5 i have the same issue with magisk. as i don't use TWRP but LOS Recovery, maybe this is a problem? I'm doing this rooting thing since ever. I was on LOS17.1 with opengapps and working magisk. I (dirty)flashed LOS18.1, then mindthegapps, then startup and all was well. rebooted to fastboot, flashed magisk patched boot.img > bootloop. Flash original boot.img (extracted from payload.bin) all is fine again. I can't find my mistake. tried this with all three releases of LOS18.1(20210402, 20210408 and current)

gigadeath

Apr 20, 2021
    I have a big problem with Lineage 18.1 + Mind the Gapps. Location services do not work for many apps (Strava, Tinder, etc). Those apps are useless without location. Even Google Maps has huge problems getting location ready. 17.1 was fine, I used Open Gapps on 17.1.

Phone is rooted now but the problem was there anyway even before rooting.

Which could be the cause?

Mother_Teresa

Jul 11, 2012
    I have a big problem with Lineage 18.1 + Mind the Gapps. Location services do not work for many apps (Strava, Tinder, etc). Those apps are useless without location. Even Google Maps has huge problems getting location ready. 17.1 was fine, I used Open Gapps on 17.1.

I migrated from another rom to 18.1 lineage a few days ago and encountered no issues.
    Following the steps in the opening post which I will paste below.
    Step 3 may be overlooked as most just wipe within twrp?

After the wipe I copied the files to the phone while booted to twrp-3.5.2_9-0-taimen (XL).
    I flashed MindTheGapps and Magisk 22.1 after.
    Restoring the apps etc takes an hour maybe after first boot.

------

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally the TWRP installer zip.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Wipe userdata for initial install (fastboot format userdata)
    4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
    5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
    6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
    7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
    8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
    9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

Apr 13, 2014
    Jaipur
    First of all thanks to Dev for wonderful ROM. My question is since LineageOS builds are currently nightly for Pixel 2 XL, should I keep it up to date or stay on current version I'm using?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-113947_Updater.png
      Screenshot_20210424-113947_Updater.png
      108.4 KB · Views: 34

mrroks

Nov 23, 2012
    Karachi
    Worst Experience. On Latest nightly, alarm was set and it didn't ring. Was really late for office. No active edge disable feature for right side. No lock screen clock change option. many feature missing.

Phreemann

Jun 1, 2010

I'm running into the same issue. Followed instructions to the letter including formatting userdata through fastboot.

Google Maps is able to obtain location, but other apps are unable to (e.g. What3Words, OSMAnd). GPSFix (com.androidlab.gpsfix) shows that a GPS fix can be obtained but no fix is available from Google Play Services.

Location permission is enabled for all affected apps. LogCat shows the following:

"Appop Denial: Accessing service com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.location.internal.server.GoogleLocationService from pid=2579, uid=10184 requires appop COARSE_LOCATION"

I've tried the nightlies from 15/04 and 22/04 with the same result. Any suggestions please for how to fix?

EDIT: Found a workaround fix. Google Play Services had no option under location permissions for "Allow all the time" and could only be set to "Only while using the app", hence the AppOp denial in LogCat. Installed "App Ops - Permissions Manager" (rikka.appops.pro) and Shizuku from Play Store, then manually changed the Play Services location permission in App Ops Permissions Manager to "Allow all the time", and it's now working. Presumably an issue with the latest MindTheGapps?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jeantree

pxwell

Nov 29, 2018
    Hi newbie here :) . I managed to flash my Pixel 2 to 18.1 coming from a stock and that all went pretty well. I currently have the lineage recovery installed but want to install TWRP. I have fastbooted a temporary TWRP image but running into the password encryption issue., so not letting me flash the TWRP zip. How do I get around this? Remove the encryption? If so how do I do this? Great rom BTW!

Thanks

@pxwell : Do not use the TWRP Zip file. as far as i know (i am new to the Pixel world either - coming over from Samsung klte/TWRP) you need to take the twrp.IMG file and flash that as recovery. Other idea: why do not use the Lineage recovery instead of TWRP? looking back i didnt use its backup function i used it just to flash roms. The advantage of the LOS recovery: its supported by the ROM devs, for me the new interface looks nice and is well designed and working. With my latest LOS install on one of my S5's i kicked TWRP off and installed the LOS recovery. And dont forget to tap the "Update recovery with ROM" checkbox. :)

pxwell

Nov 29, 2018
    @pxwell : Do not use the TWRP Zip file. as far as i know (i am new to the Pixel world either - coming over from Samsung klte/TWRP) you need to take the twrp.IMG file and flash that as recovery. Other idea: why do not use the Lineage recovery instead of TWRP? looking back i didnt use its backup function i used it just to flash roms. The advantage of the LOS recovery: its supported by the ROM devs, for me the new interface looks nice and is well designed and working. With my latest LOS install on one of my S5's i kicked TWRP off and installed the LOS recovery. And dont forget to tap the "Update recovery with ROM" checkbox. :)
    @zimral.xda I did temporary load TWRP using fastboot boot <recovery_filename>.img but hit the password issue so couldn't see the twrp zip file to flash the twrp zip. Are you then suggesting to just flash the <recovery_filename>.img to get twrp worki? Will I still hit the password encryption issue? My end goal was to flash magisk to overcome google pay and other banking apps and safetynet not working. Should I just sideload magisk using the lineage recovery instead?

Hmm sorry, i was not aware of your magisk usage, i have no experience with it. i am only using the LOS recovery and the actual rom. No gapps and no root-"tools" i even do not use banking apps on an unsecure device (=phone). so this was a misunderstanding, sorry & peace :)

PS maybe its woth to go through older postings referring to problems with magisk, i saw some of them in this and other threads.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm running into the same issue. Followed instructions to the letter including formatting userdata through fastboot.

Google Maps is able to obtain location, but other apps are unable to (e.g. What3Words, OSMAnd). GPSFix (com.androidlab.gpsfix) shows that a GPS fix can be obtained but no fix is available from Google Play Services.

Location permission is enabled for all affected apps. LogCat shows the following:

"Appop Denial: Accessing service com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.location.internal.server.GoogleLocationService from pid=2579, uid=10184 requires appop COARSE_LOCATION"

I've tried the nightlies from 15/04 and 22/04 with the same result. Any suggestions please for how to fix?

EDIT: Found a workaround fix. Google Play Services had no option under location permissions for "Allow all the time" and could only be set to "Only while using the app", hence the AppOp denial in LogCat. Installed "App Ops - Permissions Manager" (rikka.appops.pro) and Shizuku from Play Store, then manually changed the Play Services location permission in App Ops Permissions Manager to "Allow all the time", and it's now working. Presumably an issue with the latest MindTheGapps?
      @0LDST4R How do you "Set the fingerprint to our Pixel 2 Android 11 and can pass Safetynet check" please?
      No worries found out how to do this thanks.
      yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• Active Edge
      • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
      • Bluetooth
      • Wi-Fi
      • Camera
      • Video Recording
      • Video Playback
      • Audio ( Record and Playback )
      • Sensors
      • Flash
      • Led

What's not working

• Feel free to report any issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally the TWRP installer zip.
      2. Reboot to bootloader
      3. Wipe userdata for initial install (fastboot format userdata)
      4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
      5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
      6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
      7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
      8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
      9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

Updates

Simply repeat steps 4 - 7. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
      • javelinanddart
      • RaymanFX
      • Sultanxda
      • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 2 telegram group here.
      Lineage OS 18.1 (5/3/21)
      • March ASB
      • March kernel security patches
      • Fixed rare app not installed toast
      • Fixed crashes when installing without gapps
      • Revamped Lineage OS recorder app
      • Added Trebuchet icon pack support
      Official builds are now available for downloading. The migration process from my unofficial builds is as follows:

1. Download the latest version of Lineage OS and the lineage recovery image for your device from here.
      2. Reboot to bootloader
      3. Flash the recovery image to your boot partition (fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img)
      4. Reboot into recovery
      5. Flash the official build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
      6. If you have gapps installed, reboot to recovery again and ensure you flash gapps again before booting into Lineage OS
      7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!
      Or if you use TWRP you can just follow the normal updating steps and skip flashing the new recovery image.

If you are coming from a previous version of Lineage OS, please refer to the wiki.
      I've uploaded a slightly updated build to amend the missing live captions button when adjusting volume. Apologies for the inconvenience.
      Lineage OS 18.1 (8/1/21)

• January ASB
      • January / December kernel security patches
      • Bug fixes and improvements
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone