• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 18.1 for Pixel 2 / 2 XL

Search This thread

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
It's a battery problem. I use, and am steward over 3 more walleye. All now exhibit this issue. The battery is unable to sustain the camera and even sometimes just some heavy apps at levels up to 75% battery. The issue specifically with the camera is that the API has some sort of direct access to the kernel that maxes the CPUs when the camera is active. I underclock these due to the issues with the older batteries and if the camera turns on for any reason, I have to go into my kernel manager and reset my clock settings.
Are you able to verify what your current battery "health" percentage is? My P2 is now ~3.5 years old and i still have a level of 81% and didnt face an issue like the mentioned. I am using the "AccuBattery" App to watch my battery's health state and the charging level.

Hyflex

Jan 26, 2011
London
Hi,

I'd like to replace as many apps as possible with the Google ones... similar to how Open Gapps would remove the rom-based ones and replace it with the Google variant

How am I supposed to do this for Lineage 18.1?

I ask this mostly because I wan't to keep receiving updates from Google on these apps + the default LineageOS "Contacts" can't find the contacts in my Google account so it doesn't restore my contacts.

Thanks

Last edited:

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
Hyflex wrote:

>>I'd like to replace as many apps as possible with the Google ones...
>>similar to how Open Gapps would remove the rom-based ones and replace it with the Google variant

Which Rom-based ones? There are none. If you install the "gapps" package you will get a set of google apps
including the API/"play-services" etc.
Once you have play store access you can install whatever you want/need. Therefore you need to install the LOS Rom
first and a google "package" straight afterward as described in the installation guides/wiki.

>>I ask this mostly because I wan't to keep receiving updates from Google on these apps
Logged into the Google Playstore you will receive notifications of new versions and you will be asked to update them.
Or you can activate the "Auto-update" function.

>> + the default LineageOS "Contacts" can't find the contacts in my Google account so it doesn't restore my contacts.
if you are connected with your google account and you enabled the sync of your contacts a sync will be done, so i dont
really understand the problem, sorry. i did that exactly in that way when i used that function in the past.
i used a browser to login into the google account on a desktop entered contacts into the contact list, took
the phone and synced them "down" into the LOS contact app.

BTW. i went the opposite way. i stopped using google* with the Version 18.1 on all of my phones now. And i dont
miss them really. I only install the LOS image plus any other app i want. If an app is asking for the "play services"
i ignore that and many apps work without. If the app is crashing or does not work i stop using it and look for an
alternative. And there are many!

Hyflex

Jan 26, 2011
London
>> + the default LineageOS "Contacts" can't find the contacts in my Google account so it doesn't restore my contacts.

If you are connected with your google account and you enabled the sync of your contacts a sync will be done, so i dont really understand the problem, sorry. i did that exactly in that way when i used that function in the past.
i used a browser to login into the google account on a desktop entered contacts into the contact list, took
the phone and synced them "down" into the LOS contact app.

It eventually fixed itself... it took 12~ hours for it to be able to retrieve a copy from Google...

*shrugs*

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
I used the Google drive and Deutsche Telekom cloud just for fun to store some app backups and some non-private material (~3 GB). Performance (store/retrieve) is very poor. But syncing a few kBytes should only take some seconds. Or do you have a contact list of megabytes :) My other storage provider, a small german company, has much better performance. but this cost me 16,- Eur/month for 1.5 Terabytes. So i'd like to use the old words of wisdom: "You get what you pay for"

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
I've now updated to the JUNE-22 build, and the device is still uncertified. Cleared the app data for the 3 Google APKs, but again to no avail. I also registered the Android ID with Google (may have mentioned that already), didn't help either.

Before I give up, any other advice what else I might try?

Thank you.

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
I've now updated to the JUNE-22 build, and the device is still uncertified. Cleared the app data for the 3 Google APKs, but again to no avail. I also registered the Android ID with Google (may have mentioned that already), didn't help either.

Thank you.
When I registered, it took several hours before the registration 'took.'

Reactions: ralfbergs

irmas5

Thank you.
Download terminal app and try this
he device is not certified. (check in settings market play, at the bottom). I installed the module magisk hide props, rebooted and entered in the terminal:
su
props
f
y
y
reboot

Reactions: ralfbergs

Rayfen Windspear

Dec 17, 2015
Utah
Are you able to verify what your current battery "health" percentage is? My P2 is now ~3.5 years old and i still have a level of 81% and didnt face an issue like the mentioned. I am using the "AccuBattery" App to watch my battery's health state and the charging level.
Question with a question. How old is your accubattery data? If it's the same data you've been accumulating for 3.5 years, then it's most certainly not reporting 81%. Assuming a perfect world, 3.5 years of accubattery data starting with a fresh battery now reporting 81% would likely be more like 50-60% or thereabouts.

You can only get pseudo accurate experimental data if it isn't already tainted by the aggregate data from back when the battery was actually new.

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014
I installed the module magisk hide props
Thanks for suggesting this, but I'm not using "root" on that device (this one is for my wife, I have another one for my daughter).

I don't want to "fiddle" with the device in any way, it should be "as stable" as possible (also "feature-wise") for those two non-technical users. (For me I wouldn't hesitate a fraction of a second...)

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for the reply, guys. I was confused because there is this "do not install TWRP if you want magisk" thing, I am not sure how valid it still is nowadays. I ended up following @btbs advice and I got the boot.img from the rom I am using (unpacked its paylong.bin), patched it and sent it to the phone with fastboot to install Magisk.

After that I still had to do a bunch of stuff for Android Pay and my specific banks to work:

- install Magisk (v23);
- hide Magisk app itself using a different name;
- installed Universal SafetyNet Fix (not sure this one was actually needed on my phone, btw);
- installed MagiskHide Props Config to pass SafetyNet CTS Profile (changed phone fingerprint);
- installed Riru (v25.4);
- installed "Riru - Enhanced mode for Magisk Hide" (v2), for isolated processes;
- used Magisk Hide to hide from:
- Google Pay
- Google Play Services
- Google Services Framework
- Bank apps (with their isolated processes, if they exist)
- at last I had to clear the apps storage for the Google Play, Google Play Services, Google Pay and the banking apps.
- for one specific banking app I actually had to uninstall and reinstall it, so YMMV.

Finally now I have my phone all updated, rooted, with my Google Pay contactless and banking apps working with no problems. I hope I won't have to touch anything for the next 10 years :)

Thanks for the help and I hope this little summary of actions may serve to help other people, specially for the banking apps "C6 Bank" ("Banco C6") and "Next" from Brazil.

No immediate effect for you, but going forwards, heres the order i test SafetyNet:

1) Toggle MagiskHide on and test
If no go..
2) Install MagiskHide Props Config, set a valid fingerprint (i like to keep mine bone stock...Google, Pixel 2XL, Android 11) and reboot and test...if no go...
3) Install Universal SafetyNet Fix, reboot and test

What this does is tries the simplest and most often valid things from top to bottom, starting with no need of Magisk modules at all, to both if needed. That way you install the least amount of modules needed...because every module you install, the greater chance of detection....

LineageOS 18.1 is the one Android 11 ROM i havent tested, so i cant tell you for sure whats needed on this one sorry, but quite a lot of the other ROMS all thats needed is MagiskHide and MagiskHide Props Config

Rayfen Windspear

Dec 17, 2015
Utah
LineageOS 18.1 is the one Android 11 ROM i havent tested, so i cant tell you for sure whats needed on this one sorry, but quite a lot of the other ROMS all thats needed is MagiskHide and MagiskHide Props Config
This is the first time I've ever needed the Universal Fix. Probably just an android 11 thing, unless you've seen otherwise on other 11 ROMs. But yeah, an excellent quick rundown of the steps (y)

Reactions: 73sydney

Hyflex

Jan 26, 2011
London
Is there any way to get Pixel Launcher working? I really don't like using "Lawnchair" as there are a few things that don't quite work very well.

The basic app installation works fine it just lacks certain things like the "feed" when you try and access the very most left screen...

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Is there any way to get Pixel Launcher working? I really don't like using "Lawnchair" as there are a few things that don't quite work very well.

The basic app installation works fine it just lacks certain things like the "feed" when you try and access the very most left screen...
You might try Nova launcher. Extremely flexible. I'm using it on everything.

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014

Device "uncertified"​

Hi guys. I'm still struggling with a Google Play device status of "uncertified."

I'm running the latest version of this ROM, and I've even "factory reset" the device. It still shows as "uncertified."

This is a plain install with no root or any other mods at all. Is there something I could have done wrong when installing it, that is now causing this issue?

Kind regards,

Ralf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got a Pixel 2 XL, how stable is this rom as a daily driver?
    It has been very stable for me. I have had no issues at all.
    Just got a Pixel 2 XL, how stable is this rom as a daily driver?
    Been using it since June and it's been rock solid for me.
    Been using it since June and it's been rock solid for me.
    Yeah, rock Solid is a very good description
    Are you guys updating nightlies all the time? Or do you just stay with one and done?
    Back in the CM days there were tools to update the nightlies with only the changed files. Anything like that nowadays?
    Glad to hear this rom is a good choice. Hope to get a lot of years out of it for my mom.
    The security patches are only once a month, so I update only once a month (mid-month) to get the security patches. I'm not aware of any way to get only the changed files. It is probably not possible, because of the dual slot update. The update goes to the current unused slot, then the slot is switched to apply the update.
    Thanks! Really appreciate the answer!
    How is the update performed? same as flashing the rom? dirty flash ok for the monthly? (I should hope so) Is there any magic button in settings that does it all for me? I haven't cruised through all of the settings yet.
    Yes, there is a magic button. Settings, System, Advanced, Updater. The update takes about an hour to install after you have downloaded it. You can still use the phone while it is installing. If you have Magisk installed, you need to install Magisk with "adb sideload magisk.zip" . That will automatically patch the updated boot.img.
    yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• Active Edge
    • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi
    • Camera
    • Video Recording
    • Video Playback
    • Audio ( Record and Playback )
    • Sensors
    • Flash
    • Led

What's not working

• Feel free to report any issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally the TWRP installer zip.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Wipe userdata for initial install (fastboot format userdata)
    4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
    5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
    6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
    7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
    8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
    9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

A more detailed installation guide can be found on the wiki.

Updates

Simply repeat steps 4 - 7. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
    • javelinanddart
    • RaymanFX
    • Sultanxda
    • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 2 telegram group here.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (5/3/21)
    • March ASB
    • March kernel security patches
    • Fixed rare app not installed toast
    • Fixed crashes when installing without gapps
    • Revamped Lineage OS recorder app
    • Added Trebuchet icon pack support
    Official builds are now available for downloading. The migration process from my unofficial builds is as follows:

1. Download the latest version of Lineage OS and the lineage recovery image for your device from here.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Flash the recovery image to your boot partition (fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img)
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Flash the official build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
    6. If you have gapps installed, reboot to recovery again and ensure you flash gapps again before booting into Lineage OS
    7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!
    Or if you use TWRP you can just follow the normal updating steps and skip flashing the new recovery image.

If you are coming from a previous version of Lineage OS, please refer to the wiki.
    I've uploaded a slightly updated build to amend the missing live captions button when adjusting volume. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (8/1/21)

• January ASB
    • January / December kernel security patches
    • Bug fixes and improvements