• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 18.1 for Pixel 2 / 2 XL

Search This thread

palimatix

Jan 18, 2011
Bangalore
Hey all. I'm doing some research on the installation and updating process for the Pixel 2 XL to see if there are similarities to how I installed my Pixel XL (Marlin) running lineageos 17.1. I do not have a Pixel 2 XL and I am considering getting one at a decent price and condition.

This is how I installed lineageos 17.1 on the Pixel XL with official twrp recovery, after I unlocked the phone's bootloader:

1) Boot into twrp.img using adb command "fastboot boot "twrp recovery image"
2) Wipe, swipe to factory reset (For some reason I didn't need to format data (type yes to format) on Android 10)
3) flashed rom
4) flash gapps
5) flash twrp zip to keep twrp recovery
6) boot back to system to setup and later installed magisk

Here's how I update my Pixel XL using official lineageos 17.1 and official twrp recovery:

1) From twrp, flash updated lineageos zip
2) Flash twrp zip to retain twrp as recovery
3) Reboot back to twrp recovery
4) install gapps and magisk
5) boot back to system

Is there anything from the method of installation and updating I've listed that is comparable or different when it comes to installing and updating lineageos 18.1 for the Pixel 2 XL?

Only thing you shouldn't do is flash twrp zip. Use twrp image only to fastboot each time

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Is this bug still present with the latest official twrp (twrp-3.5.2_9-0 taimen at the time of writing)?

Some people report it doesnt, most of us just dont install it but fastboot...im in the fastboot only camp...

Also some apps hate TWRP folders on internal and it will set root detection off for those apps, bankign apps especially, so my free tip, whether ouy use fastoobt it or install it, is to delete the TWRP folder off internal after boot afetr a TWRP session, before using any root sensitive apps - especially banking apps...

Reactions: jonpjingleheimler

Geddd

Nov 5, 2013
I don't know if my problem has something to do with the cable or charging brick that I am using or the rom itself, it's less than one week that I am using this rom.

Yesterday, the cable (usb c to c) that I am using stopped working to charge my phone. So I tried connecting it to a usb-a brick (using an adapter to usb-a since it is a usb-c to c cable) that has only 0.2A, the phone shutdown right after I plugged the cable then the battery charging icon showed but it didn't proceed to charge. The same happened when using a power bank.

So I tried using another usb-c cable and the same thing was also happened but the difference is, it proceeded to charge the phone on power off mode. When I turned on the phone, it's not charging and re-plugging the power will only shutdown the phone and continues to charge.

What do you guys think is the problem? I ordered a new usb-c to c online and I have doubt that it has something to do with the cable. But I'll see it later on.

baxxter106

Jan 24, 2011
Luebeck
Google Pixel XL
Moto G5S Plus
is there a reason why i installed last week 18.1-20210729-nightly-taimen via installer but at the official dl page i only find lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-taimen-signed? i want to flash the boot.img with magisk, but this won't be possible with the correct version that fits, right?

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
is there a reason why i installed last week 18.1-20210729-nightly-taimen via installer but at the official dl page i only find lineage-18.1-20210722-nightly-taimen-signed? i want to flash the boot.img with magisk, but this won't be possible with the correct version that fits, right?

If you go back less than a dozen posts, i posted a method you can use to get the boot image from any ROM zip you have

Not all ROMs include a recovery or boot image, so people should know how to extract a boot image....

tundra35

May 13, 2011
Berlin
I wish I could find it again on Reddit. But the 7/29 build were pulled due to a touch input problem.

Hi guys, I just flashed the lastest build @ lineage-18.1-20210805-nightly-taimen-signed.zip from being on stock for the longest time. Purely due to continued support and security patches - all went seemingly well. However when I check my security patch level and android security update I've got 5 October 2020 and 5 July 2021. Does this mean I've done something wrong? Thanks

tundra35

May 13, 2011
Berlin
Hi guys, I just flashed the lastest build @ lineage-18.1-20210805-nightly-taimen-signed.zip from being on stock for the longest time. Purely due to continued support and security patches - all went seemingly well. However when I check my security patch level and android security update I've got 5 October 2020 and 5 July 2021. Does this mean I've done something wrong? Thanks
Nope that's exactly what mine looks like. Next update should have August instead of July according to their git. 🤘

Reactions: Greenmirage

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
The 5th of Oct 2020 is the latest manufacturer patch the P2's received after they got Android 11. This will stay.
You need to check here: https://download.lineageos.org/walleye/changes/ for changes in the past, current and next build.

edit: you can install 20210812 for "Taimen" now :) lastest security patches should be in there.

update: I just installed 20210810 for walleye. All good and smooth installtion via OTA LOS updater.

@Eamo5: THX for keeping the P2 alive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenmirage

davschm

Apr 13, 2014
Hello all, I am new to the 18.1 Lineage rom. Just got it installed and working last week.

I have gotten everything working well except one persistent problem. Using the google phone app and google assistant, I am trying to get call screening to work. Right now it doesn't enable and wont screen any calls.

I disabled the linage phone/contacts/messaging apps and set the google version as system default. I also found the setting for default 'caller ID and Spam' app, and set the google phone app as that default.

But call screening never screens a call. In the phone app settings under call screening, it says "Activating Call Screen (requires WiFi)" and even though I am on wifi it never activates.

I have tried clearing the phone app cache and data, and rebooting the phone. Wifi is always on and connected. I have also tried switching the default phone app back and forth between the lineage and google apps. Disabling the linage one when not in use. I have updated all apps.

Any other ideas? Can anyone confirm it is working for them?

Last edited:

woodsticks

Jul 16, 2014
Hello,
I haven't made the plunge yet on my 2XL (DD). I am running it on my Shamu, so far it works great, I flashed with LOS recovery.
I was wondering which method did you use to flash, TWRP or the LOS recovery?
Thanks in advance.

justDave

Nov 17, 2006
Hello all, I am new to the 18.1 Lineage rom. Just got it installed and working last week.

I have gotten everything working well except one persistent problem. Using the google phone app and google assistant, I am trying to get call screening to work. Right now it doesn't enable and wont screen any calls.

I disabled the linage phone/contacts/messaging apps and set the google version as system default. I also found the setting for default 'caller ID and Spam' app, and set the google phone app as that default.

But call screening never screens a call. In the phone app settings under call screening, it says "Activating Call Screen (requires WiFi)" and even though I am on wifi it never activates.

I have tried clearing the phone app cache and data, and rebooting the phone. Wifi is always on and connected. I have also tried switching the default phone app back and forth between the lineage and google apps. Disabling the linage one when not in use. I have updated all apps.

Any other ideas? Can anyone confirm it is working for them?
It works for me.
You need to use app systemizer to turn the phone app into a system app. The app systemizer in the magisk repo doesn't work on Android 11 so dig through the thread to find the latest one.
You may also need to clear the data for the phone app, not sure about that part though.

woodsticks

Jul 16, 2014
Hello, i switched earlier this year when 18.1 goes into "official" release, for exactly the same reason. I am not really familiar with dedicated "Pixel features" but i didnt like the google search bar at the bottom and the unflexible layout settings. So there was no question for me to go to LOS , i am using LOS on a Galaxy "klte" for several years now and i buyed the used Pixel2 to play with LOS on Pixels :) . I have the impression that the battery lifetime is ~ 10-15% better than before but i think the reason for that is the fact that i am using the pure LOS Rom only! That means: NO GOOGLE (opengapps/mindthegapps/nikapps) or whatever the name is. And no "root" stuff/magisk etc. This might sound weird using a google phone without google but this is possible and all of my 40-50 apps are working fine and i am using the "myLocalAccount" app to manage my contacts and i dont want google to read the names &numbers of my family/friends/buddies here. As a replacement for Google Maps i am using "MapsMe" based on open streetmaps which looks better (for me) and has no ads and does not track me. Hope this will help you a little bit..take care..:)
Hello,
I'm thinking of going google free also, where & how do you download your Apps?
Hello, i switched earlier this year when 18.1 goes into "official" release, for exactly the same reason. I am not really familiar with dedicated "Pixel features" but i didnt like the google search bar at the bottom and the unflexible layout settings. So there was no question for me to go to LOS , i am using LOS on a Galaxy "klte" for several years now and i buyed the used Pixel2 to play with LOS on Pixels :) . I have the impression that the battery lifetime is ~ 10-15% better than before but i think the reason for that is the fact that i am using the pure LOS Rom only! That means: NO GOOGLE (opengapps/mindthegapps/nikapps) or whatever the name is. And no "root" stuff/magisk etc. This might sound weird using a google phone without google but this is possible and all of my 40-50 apps are working fine and i am using the "myLocalAccount" app to manage my contacts and i dont want google to read the names &numbers of my family/friends/buddies here. As a replacement for Google Maps i am using "MapsMe" based on open streetmaps which looks better (for me) and has no ads and does not track me. Hope this will help you a little bit..take care..:)
I'm thinking about going google free also. How & where do you go to download your Apps?
Thanks in advance.

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
Hello,
I'm thinking of going google free also, where & how do you download your Apps?
Mostly from APKPure using their App to manage that. Sometimes i search for them like "Appname.apk download" copy them over and install from a filemanager. I still have one app which does not run at all. this is "FlightRadar24" the one i like so much. But this is not a showstopper at the end.

Last edited:

ralfbergs

Dec 6, 2014

Google Play "Certification"​

Hi guys.

Sorry to bother you again with this, but I'm still failing to get my Pixel 2 to show up as "Device certified" in Google Play. I'm JUST flashing the stock Lineage OS ROM plus MindTheGApps -- nothing else, especially I don't want to use Magisk. I tried almost 10 different builds of this ROM (the most recent one I tried was the then-recent one only a couple of days ago), but for all of them my device is shown as "uncertified."

I wanted to ask if there is anyone here who is successfully (in the way that the device is Google Play "certified") using this ROM in exactly this configuration, i. e. without Magisk or any other modification?

I'm not closing the boot loader -- I never had to do this, and I believe I can't even do it, otherwise I would be unable to upgrade to a new build, right?

I would be very grateful if I could solve this problem. I'm a long time CM/LOS user, and I really would like to stay here...

Many thanks for your help.

Kr,

Ralf

Hello,
I haven't made the plunge yet on my 2XL (DD). I am running it on my Shamu, so far it works great, I flashed with LOS recovery.
I was wondering which method did you use to flash, TWRP or the LOS recovery?
Thanks in advance.
Hi, I don't think it matters too much which recovery you use but I used TWRP because i'm familiar with it. From fastboot I boot into TWRP (fastboot boot twrp.img) instead of flashing a recovery & follow the steps to sideload lineage from there. Then "adb reboot sideload" & sideload gapps + magisk optionally.
Hope that helped a lil :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you guys updating nightlies all the time? Or do you just stay with one and done?
    Back in the CM days there were tools to update the nightlies with only the changed files. Anything like that nowadays?
    Glad to hear this rom is a good choice. Hope to get a lot of years out of it for my mom.
    The security patches are only once a month, so I update only once a month (mid-month) to get the security patches. I'm not aware of any way to get only the changed files. It is probably not possible, because of the dual slot update. The update goes to the current unused slot, then the slot is switched to apply the update.
    Thanks! Really appreciate the answer!
    How is the update performed? same as flashing the rom? dirty flash ok for the monthly? (I should hope so) Is there any magic button in settings that does it all for me? I haven't cruised through all of the settings yet.
    Yes, there is a magic button. Settings, System, Advanced, Updater. The update takes about an hour to install after you have downloaded it. You can still use the phone while it is installing. If you have Magisk installed, you need to install Magisk with "adb sideload magisk.zip" . That will automatically patch the updated boot.img.
    I heard ProtonAOSP is better than this ROM for the Pixel 2
    I've never had to do this and still have root after the update. I believe Magisk has scripts to restore root after an update.
    Sorry, my wording could have been better. You are correct, Magisk has scripts to restore root after an update. What I was trying to say is you need to install the full Magisk package (not just a patched boot image) to install those scripts. I didn't mean to imply "adb sideload" was the only Magisk installation method that installed those scripts.

Actually, this may be moot now that Magisk is packaged as an apk instead of a zip. I would expect installing the apk would also install those scripts.

Just out of curiosity, what installation method did you use?
    Renamed the APK to ZIP and flashed via TWRP. That installs the scripts, but I seem to recall that method only installs stub files, which you have to update upon opening the Magisk app itself in Android.
    yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• Active Edge
    • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi
    • Camera
    • Video Recording
    • Video Playback
    • Audio ( Record and Playback )
    • Sensors
    • Flash
    • Led

What's not working

• Feel free to report any issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally the TWRP installer zip.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Wipe userdata for initial install (fastboot format userdata)
    4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
    5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
    6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
    7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
    8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
    9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

A more detailed installation guide can be found on the wiki.

Updates

Simply repeat steps 4 - 7. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
    • javelinanddart
    • RaymanFX
    • Sultanxda
    • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 2 telegram group here.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (5/3/21)
    • March ASB
    • March kernel security patches
    • Fixed rare app not installed toast
    • Fixed crashes when installing without gapps
    • Revamped Lineage OS recorder app
    • Added Trebuchet icon pack support
    Official builds are now available for downloading. The migration process from my unofficial builds is as follows:

1. Download the latest version of Lineage OS and the lineage recovery image for your device from here.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Flash the recovery image to your boot partition (fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img)
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Flash the official build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
    6. If you have gapps installed, reboot to recovery again and ensure you flash gapps again before booting into Lineage OS
    7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!
    Or if you use TWRP you can just follow the normal updating steps and skip flashing the new recovery image.

If you are coming from a previous version of Lineage OS, please refer to the wiki.
    I've uploaded a slightly updated build to amend the missing live captions button when adjusting volume. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (8/1/21)

• January ASB
    • January / December kernel security patches
    • Bug fixes and improvements