• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 18.1 for Pixel 2 / 2 XL

Search This thread

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
I heard ProtonAOSP is better than this ROM for the Pixel 2
Hmm, so go and try it and write a report with more details here. I am currently running LOS18 on a Samsung S5/klte, a Pixel2 and a Pixel3 togehter with LOS and TWRP recovery. Never had any real problem with LOS since version 14. The LOS Maintainers are working very accurate they do a very good job in supporting their "babies"! i will stay with LOS !!!

Last edited:

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I've never had to do this and still have root after the update. I believe Magisk has scripts to restore root after an update.
Sorry, my wording could have been better. You are correct, Magisk has scripts to restore root after an update. What I was trying to say is you need to install the full Magisk package (not just a patched boot image) to install those scripts. I didn't mean to imply "adb sideload" was the only Magisk installation method that installed those scripts.

Actually, this may be moot now that Magisk is packaged as an apk instead of a zip. I would expect installing the apk would also install those scripts.

Just out of curiosity, what installation method did you use?

Reactions: Strephon Alkhalikoi

wbgenetic

Oct 5, 2009
Any idea why some banking apps don't work?
Me and my wife run a pixel 2xl.
I use a bank app (UBB) and it works fine.
Hers does not work. It crashes on the login screen (before logging in... UNICREDIT BANK)

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
Any idea why some banking apps don't work?
Me and my wife run a pixel 2xl.
I use a bank app (UBB) and it works fine.
Hers does not work. It crashes on the login screen (before logging in... UNICREDIT BANK)
Some more config details might be helpful. i am using the ING banking app on my Pixel2 without any problem. Beside this, 2 other german banks tan generators are working as expected. I have the pure LOS Rom including the LOS recovery installed. No gapps and no root (magisk). As far as i understand, most problems with banking apps have their origin in rooted phones as the apps are checking for traces of "rooting" software.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I have all of those. Can you share your props config?
I can share it if you can tell me how to do it. When I go to props option 1, it says my current fingerprint is "Google Pixel 2 XL".

My Universal SafetyNet Fix version is 1.2.0. It is not the latest, but it works for me.

You can find a lot of fixes for SafetyNet in the Magisk support thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/. I'd stay away from any fix that uses Magisk Alpha, though. Alpha is very unstable.

ViperX85

Feb 21, 2013
I can share it if you can tell me how to do it. When I go to props option 1, it says my current fingerprint is "Google Pixel 2 XL".

My Universal SafetyNet Fix version is 1.2.0. It is not the latest, but it works for me.

You can find a lot of fixes for SafetyNet in the Magisk support thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/. I'd stay away from any fix that uses Magisk Alpha, though. Alpha is very unstable.
Ok, since we're taking about universal safety net fix I went again in the props settings and choose Pixel 3a this time as my current fingerprint and now it finally works.

Reactions: dcarvil

wbgenetic

Oct 5, 2009
Some more config details might be helpful. i am using the ING banking app on my Pixel2 without any problem. Beside this, 2 other german banks tan generators are working as expected. I have the pure LOS Rom including the LOS recovery installed. No gapps and no root (magisk). As far as i understand, most problems with banking apps have their origin in rooted phones as the apps are checking for traces of "rooting" software.
Well the phone is not rooted. I actually thought I might play with magisk and some modules trying to make it work.... We are running LOS 18 with twrp (not installed). Gapps are loaded though.

zimral.xda

Apr 5, 2021
Samsung Galaxy S5
Google Pixel 2
Well the phone is not rooted. I actually thought I might play with magisk and some modules trying to make it work.... We are running LOS 18 with twrp (not installed). Gapps are loaded though.
I have heard that the installation of any root tool may leave dirs/files in memory and some apps are checking for them. This might be a reason why they will not work. Additionally i have heard about some workarounds to rename those folders and tools to "hide" the root tools traces :)

Ok, since we're taking about universal safety net fix I went again in the props settings and choose Pixel 3a this time as my current fingerprint and now it finally works.
Hi, I followed your advice and changed the fingerprint to 3a. My safety net now passes allowing Google pay to work but now my banking app is detecting root. BEFORE I got magisk to try for Google pay, the app worked fine on lineage. Seems like every other app I've thrown at it works fine though. I'm using the safety net fix 2.1.1 & magiskhide modules. Any ideas?

Edit: I take it back Google Pay doesn't work, it just temporarily seemed to allow me to add my card but it's not working due to device not showing as certified in Google Play :/
Seems like my options are - go back to stock & stop receiving updates but have google Pay. Or go without google pay & continue w lineage & updates

Last edited:

mosio

Jan 22, 2009
Hi, I followed your advice and changed the fingerprint to 3a. My safety net now passes allowing Google pay to work but now my banking app is detecting root. BEFORE I got magisk to try for Google pay, the app worked fine on lineage. Seems like every other app I've thrown at it works fine though. I'm using the safety net fix 2.1.1 & magiskhide modules. Any ideas?

Edit: I take it back Google Pay doesn't work, it just temporarily seemed to allow me to add my card but it's not working due to device not showing as certified in Google Play :/
Seems like my options are - go back to stock & stop receiving updates but have google Pay. Or go without google pay & continue w lineage & updates
Works for me, but I had to go for the XPrivacyLua pretty complex solution mentioned in the universal SafetyNet Fix thread. Now Gpay works as intented.

Reactions: shaunnicho

mosio

Jan 22, 2009
Works for me, but I had to go for the XPrivacyLua pretty complex solution mentioned in the universal SafetyNet Fix thread. Now Gpay works as intented.
Just updated to Sept 30th build using the built-in updater and I still pass SafetyNet check and GPay is still up and working.

Btw: Any idea why my Google Assistant won't react while the phone is locked with display off?
I have that functionality enabled and it works when I turn the screen on using power button.
Is that stock Pixel rom specific behaviour?

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenmirage
Is your device certified in Google play or is the XPrivacyLua solution some sort of solution to hide that? I may look into it but I feel the more I do to tamper, the more things usually end up horribly wrong and unstable LOL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've never had to do this and still have root after the update. I believe Magisk has scripts to restore root after an update.
    Sorry, my wording could have been better. You are correct, Magisk has scripts to restore root after an update. What I was trying to say is you need to install the full Magisk package (not just a patched boot image) to install those scripts. I didn't mean to imply "adb sideload" was the only Magisk installation method that installed those scripts.

Actually, this may be moot now that Magisk is packaged as an apk instead of a zip. I would expect installing the apk would also install those scripts.

Just out of curiosity, what installation method did you use?
    Renamed the APK to ZIP and flashed via TWRP. That installs the scripts, but I seem to recall that method only installs stub files, which you have to update upon opening the Magisk app itself in Android.

Just updated to Sept 30th build using the built-in updater and I still pass SafetyNet check and GPay is still up and working.

Btw: Any idea why my Google Assistant won't react while the phone is locked with display off?
    I have that functionality enabled and it works when I turn the screen on using power button.
    Is that stock Pixel rom specific behaviour?
    yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• Active Edge
    • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi
    • Camera
    • Video Recording
    • Video Playback
    • Audio ( Record and Playback )
    • Sensors
    • Flash
    • Led

What's not working

• Feel free to report any issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build, TWRP image and optionally the TWRP installer zip.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Wipe userdata for initial install (fastboot format userdata)
    4. Fastboot into TWRP recovery (fastboot boot twrp.img)
    5. Flash the latest build of Lineage OS
    6. Reboot to bootloader and fastboot TWRP again
    7. (Optional) Flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
    8. Reboot to system and don't install the TWRP app
    9. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / TWRP / Magisk

A more detailed installation guide can be found on the wiki.

Updates

Simply repeat steps 4 - 7. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
    • javelinanddart
    • RaymanFX
    • Sultanxda
    • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 2 telegram group here.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (5/3/21)
    • March ASB
    • March kernel security patches
    • Fixed rare app not installed toast
    • Fixed crashes when installing without gapps
    • Revamped Lineage OS recorder app
    • Added Trebuchet icon pack support
    Official builds are now available for downloading. The migration process from my unofficial builds is as follows:

1. Download the latest version of Lineage OS and the lineage recovery image for your device from here.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Flash the recovery image to your boot partition (fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img)
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Flash the official build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
    6. If you have gapps installed, reboot to recovery again and ensure you flash gapps again before booting into Lineage OS
    7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!
    Or if you use TWRP you can just follow the normal updating steps and skip flashing the new recovery image.

If you are coming from a previous version of Lineage OS, please refer to the wiki.
    I've uploaded a slightly updated build to amend the missing live captions button when adjusting volume. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (8/1/21)

• January ASB
    • January / December kernel security patches
    • Bug fixes and improvements