[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 18.1 for Pixel 4 / 4 XL

Search This thread

nadiros01

Nov 10, 2015
The ROM is fantastic, thanks devs.

I use assistant often though, and find that it takes up to 10 seconds to activate. Does anybody have this issue? Is there a fix? I used the new "mind the gaps" for Android 11

nadiros01

Nov 10, 2015
The ROM is fantastic, thanks devs.

I use assistant often though, and find that it takes up to 10 seconds to activate. Does anybody have this issue? Is there a fix? I used the new "mind the gaps" for Android 11
Actually, upon further investigation the assistant is activated in the background, but there is no pop up on the screen. Is this because of the gaps package I chose? Could I flash a different one to have some sort of visual cue that the assistant is running?

ibrahim52

Jul 17, 2012
Just wondering, volte isn't working in uae on stock rom. Hence planning to install lineage os. Is it worth a try. I am not sure if volte will start working as it's enabled from carrier but google stock rom has the feature locked for countries outside usa.

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

• Just wondering, volte isn't working in uae on stock rom. Hence planning to install lineage os. Is it worth a try. I am not sure if volte will start working as it's enabled from carrier but google stock rom has the feature locked for countries outside usa.
    I am only guessing here (becuae I am not in the UAE or any way to replicate your setup) so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, if its allowed on the mobile side (which I have no clue if it is or not), but if it is, and its only locked by the OS, then you might be able to get around the lock with a custom OS and ROOT. I would say its definitely worth the effort to try it, because I have VoLTE and it works great, BUT I am in the US using verizon.

Reactions: ibrahim52

Peter the Gray

Oct 29, 2017
    Edit: Nevermind! Turns out I managed to get a phone with broken face unlock, a nonfunctioning battery meter, and the back was peeling off! New one will be here Friday.

Last edited:

PR-0927

Mar 31, 2012
    Got a notification that a new LineageOS update was available. Is it safe to just do an OTA update through the built-in updater, or will this cause issues with Magisk and GApps?

Used to routinely flash ROMs on my Nexus 5 back in the day, haven't been dabbling in this world again after much time till the last week or so.

gewecht

Apr 16, 2013
    Denver, CO, US
    Got a notification that a new LineageOS update was available. Is it safe to just do an OTA update through the built-in updater, or will this cause issues with Magisk and GApps?

Used to routinely flash ROMs on my Nexus 5 back in the day, haven't been dabbling in this world again after much time till the last week or so.
    I ran the OTA this morning and it worked without issue. Granted I was not rooted, although I did not have problems with GApps.

Curiousn00b

Dec 3, 2011
    Delaware
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Google Pixel 4 XL
    Actually, upon further investigation the assistant is activated in the background, but there is no pop up on the screen. Is this because of the gaps package I chose? Could I flash a different one to have some sort of visual cue that the assistant is running?
    Go into settings, apps and notifications, assistant, all settings, languages, and add a language that Google doesn't support with the new UI. It'll use the old UI instead. Screenshot_20210415-192007_Google.pngScreenshot_20210415-191717_Google.png

Go into settings, apps and notifications, assistant, all settings, languages, and add a language that Google doesn't support with the new UI. It'll use the old UI instead. View attachment 5280287View attachment 5280285
    Exactly what I came to this thread to find, you are a life saver! Got sick of using keyboard controls because voice control wasn't working. Thank you!

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

• Does the motion sense work now?
    No, and as I stated in the A11 PixiDust/LOS/Scorpion forum(s) where you asked the same thing, its proprietary code by Google. Its also listed as not working in all forum threads so why are you asking this same thing over and over in the forums for multiple ROMs? What are you looking to do?

I am not trying to be mean or hurtful, but the same question being asked by the same user in multiple forums (where it states that it DOESNT work), gets redundant and takes away from the goal of XDA. Helping others is why we are here so these useless questions done without any research on your part (and posted multiple times, in multiple forums) wont help the end goal. If you want it quicker than we devs can provide, then reverse engineer it and code it yourself and share for all of us.

Bailx

Feb 24, 2012
    Google Pixel 4 XL
    where is the best place to submit bug reports?

mine is a SanDisk SDDDC2 - The one that can switch between USB-A & USB-C to easily plug into your phone. on 18.1 it wants to format the drive, all older versions of lineage/stock read the drive fine (various phones tested including another pixel 4 xl). maybe an issue with android 11, i haven't tried stock.

sd.PNG

Reactions: mangokm40

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

• where is the best place to submit bug reports?

mine is a SanDisk SDDDC2 - The one that can switch between USB-A & USB-C to easily plug into your phone. on 18.1 it wants to format the drive, all older versions of lineage/stock read the drive fine (various phones tested including another pixel 4 xl). maybe an issue with android 11, i haven't tried stock.

View attachment 5294327
    Here is the URL to report bugs in LOS, but make sure you do it right or it wont help. I would read through this first:

Then use the GitLab Issues to report the bug (assuming its not already in the list and is truly a LOS bug, not a USB bug):

Reactions: flash713

GROOVYJOSHCLARK

• In case this might help someone... This details the steps I just took
    to get 18.1 into a used Pixel 4. I'm not sure if I should cross-post this into the Pixel 4 forum as well.

1. Latest adb/fastboot here: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
    Copied to a new folder in my PC.
    Reset PATH to see this folder.

2. Turn on phone. Settings->"About phone", tap "Build Number" 7 times.

3. Settings->System->"Developer Options", enable OEM unlocking & USB debugging.

4. Charged phone...It was at 34%.

5. Get latest Android 11 firmware here: https://developers.google.com/android/images
    Got flame-rq2a.210405.005-factory-d3efc764.zip
    Extracted latest firmware: radio-flame-g8150-00082-210106-b-7065218.img
    Extracted latest bootloader: bootloader-flame-c2f2-0.3-7062597.img
    Settings->"About phone"->"Android version"
    I verified my phone's firmware (baseband) was an older version.

6. Plugged fully-charged phone to PC
    type: adb devices
    If this returns "unauthorized", your phone should be asking you to authorize it.
    On your phone, check “always allow”, and choose “OK”.

7. Unlock phone
    type: adb reboot bootloader
    Once phone restarts in fastboot mode, type: fastboot devices
    You should see your phone listed
    type: fastboot flashing unlock
    Warning message on phone. This erases all data on the target phone.
    Use volume keys to select "Unlock the bootloader" & press power button.
    When phone returns, bootloader status says "unlocked" in red letters.

8. Update Android firmware
    type: fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flame-c2f2-0.3-7062597.img
    Should see OKAY message
    type: fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Should see OKAY message
    fastboot flash radio radio-flame-g8150-00082-210106-b-7065218.img
    Should see OKAY message... I got "Writing radio_a" and "Flashing partition modem_a" OKAY
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Should see OKAY message
    I skipped loading the latest OS: fastboot -w update image-flame-rq2a.210405.005.zip
    Use power button to restart phone. I saw the unlocked bootloader warning screen at bootup.

9. Since the phone was reset, I had to go through initial settings again.
    Steps 2 & 3 again. I turned on USB debugging again.
    I went to Settings->"About phone"->"Android version".
    I verified that the latest firmware is installed.

10. I wanted to install TWRP. However, it says it needs a custom kernel installed.
    I couldn't figure out how to install the "Kirisakura 7.4.0" that the instructions linked.

11. Flashed Lineage recovery
    Got latest Lineage recovery here: https://download.lineageos.org/flame
    type: adb reboot bootloader
    type: fastboot devices
    You should see your device
    type: fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210425-recovery-flame.img
    I got "Sending 'boot_a' OKAY" message
    Used volume keys to set "Recovery Mode" and pressed power button to go to recovery.

12. Flashed LineageOS from Lineage recovery
    Got latest LineageOS here: https://download.lineageos.org/flame
    Your phone should now be in the purple-themed Lineage recovery.
    Mine said "Active slot: a"
    "Factory Reset"->"Format data / factory reset"->"Format data"
    My phone said:
    Wiping data...
    Formatting /data...
    Formatting /metadata...
    Wiping Titan M...
    E:can't send spi message: try again
    Data wipe complete
    Well, that's an error. ???????????????? Couldn't figure it out, so I just kept going.
    Back to main menu: "Apply Update"->"Apply from ADB"->"ADB Sideload"
    type: adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210425-nightly-flame-signed.zip
    My PC screen showed:
    "serving: 'lineage-18.1-20210425-nightly-flame-signed.zip' (~47%)
    It stayed like that for a long time (minutes?) before coming back with:
    "adb: failed to read command: Success"
    My phone said "Step 1/2", then, "Step 2/2".
    Back to main menu: "Reboot system now"
    LineageOS started rather quickly, maybe 30 seconds.

I got an error, at first boot, that SIM manager keeps stopping (the phone has no SIM in it yet).
    I also get an error when I try to use USB OTG. LOS 18.1 wants to format
    any USB drive I insert. I got an empty drive and let it format. That drive is working fine.

13. Install Magisk
    Instructions here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
    Copy lineage-18.1-20210425-recovery-flame.img to Download folder in phone
    Install Magisk.22.1.apk. Get it here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v22.1
    Run Magisk App
    Click "Install".
    Click "Select and Patch a File"
    Select lineage-18.1-20210425-recovery-flame.img file in your Download folder
    Click "Let's Go"
    Magisk creates a file "magisk_patched-22100_xxxxx.img" in Download
    Copy magisk_patched-22100_xxxxx.img file to PC as "magiskpatched.img".
    Restart phone in fastboot.
    type: fastboot flash boot magiskpatched.img
    Got "Sending 'boot_b'.....OKAY" messages
    Restart phone to system
    What was the point to this? I am not putting this down, but to really help others, you should clarify what this is regarding. For example, what does this post fix? OR at least explain the post for the newbs reading it so they do not follow it and think this is the install process for LOS (its more than needed for LOS).

You also noted USB formatting issues (which deviates from the install process) as well as adding in MAGISK (ROOT). I would separate the post into sections and explain each section to newbs reading each piece (but break it up first). That way users know this isn't a setup log, or steps needed to follow for LOS.

Reactions: mangokm40

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• Active Edge
      • Face unlock
      • Screen attention
      • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
      • Bluetooth
      • Wi-Fi
      • Camera
      • Video Recording
      • Video Playback
      • Audio ( Record and Playback )
      • Sensors
      • Flash

What's not working

• Soli motion sense (proprietary)
      • New Google Assistant (proprietary)
      • Adaptive charging & extreme battery saver (proprietary)
      • Pixel Stand features (proprietary)
      • Feel free to report any issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build and boot.img, and ensure you are on Lineage OS 17.1 or Android 11 already.
      2. Reboot to bootloader
      3. Flash the provided boot.img to both slots (fastboot flash --slot all boot boot.img)
      4. Reboot into recovery and factory reset for initial install
      5. Sideload the latest build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
      6. (Optional) Reboot to recovery again and flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
      7. Reboot to system
      8. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / Magisk

Updates

Simply repeat steps 5 - 7. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
      • cdesai
      • npjohnson
      • Sultanxda
      • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 4 telegram group here.
      Lineage OS 18.1 (20/1/21)

• January ASB
      • Fixed inconsistent gapps install behaviour due to virtual a/b
      • Added the ability to reboot to fastbootd from advanced restart options
      • Various bug fixes and improvements
      Thank you for tolerating the frustrating gapps installation issues on the last build. This substantially delayed this months update but I'm pleased to finally be able to provide one with this fixed. Gapps installation should consistently work now.
      Official builds are now available for downloading. The migration process from my unofficial builds is as follows:

1. Download the latest version of Lineage OS and the lineage recovery image for your device from here.
      2. Reboot to bootloader
      3. Flash the recovery image to your boot partition (fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img)
      4. Reboot into recovery
      5. Flash the official build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
      6. If you have gapps installed, reboot to recovery again and ensure you flash gapps again before booting into Lineage OS
      7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!

If you are coming from a previous version of Lineage OS, please refer to the wiki.
      Lineage OS 18.1 (3/2/21)

• February ASB
      • Added support for OpenGapps packages up to full in size
      • Added support for MindTheGapps for when they are publicly distributed
      • Added support for addon.d v3
      • Added additional LiveDisplay options
      • Added Glove Mode for increased touch sensitivity
      • Screen Attention, Now Playing and Live Captions now all work out of the box
      • Fixed spell check on AOSP keyboard
      • Various minor bug fixes and improvements
      EDIT: stock opengapps seems to not work, as it is too big despite OpenGapps thinking it will fit. Packages up to full in size should work fine however.
      Lineage OS 18.1 (5/3/21)
      • March ASB
      • Fixed rare app not installed toast
      • Fixed MindTheGapps installation issues
      • Fixed crashes when installing without gapps
      • Revamped Lineage OS recorder app
      • Added Trebuchet icon pack support