[ROM][OFFICIAL] Lineage OS 18.1 for Pixel 4 / 4 XL

Search This thread

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
Is there still an issue with the trebuchet launcher and icons disappearing sometimes? I'm loving lineage OS but my wife just called and said a bunch of her icons disappeared. This happened to me a while back and I just put them all back on and wrote it off as some kind of an issue I had caused myself. But after her call, I did some googleing and discovered that this could be an issue with the trebuchet launcher. Has anybody seen this? Is there a fix other than switching to a different launcher?

insestito

Jul 29, 2009
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Is there still an issue with the trebuchet launcher and icons disappearing sometimes? I'm loving lineage OS but my wife just called and said a bunch of her icons disappeared. This happened to me a while back and I just put them all back on and wrote it off as some kind of an issue I had caused myself. But after her call, I did some googleing and discovered that this could be an issue with the trebuchet launcher. Has anybody seen this? Is there a fix other than switching to a different launcher?
Install Nova Launcher...

Reactions: GROOVYJOSHCLARK

insestito

Jul 29, 2009
Xiaomi 12T Pro
March 20 Update changelog:

insestito

Jul 29, 2009
Xiaomi 12T Pro
New update 2022 03 28

Changelog:

When will the lineage os19 based on android 12 be released?
My guess is when you build it for us, then share it out :poop: JK. Seriously though, we don't allow ETAs to be asked, ever. It annoys the devs and if we annoy the LOS dev, we may lose the ROM so this is why we do not ask for ETAs. That being said, I was joking with my build comment, but seriously, anyone is free to bake their own flavors of LOS. If you do, please share them as unofficial ROMs, otherwise wait until Eamo5 or someone like us, bakes it.

I often say I am going to bake my own LOS11 or A12, but I never find the time to finish it, I get it going, then get pulled away by some work disaster, and never return. I doubt it will be me baking LOS A12, but I will try to get to it if I have time. This is also assuming the code exists for LOSA12 (I dont know yet). I haven't reviewed anything, so I have no idea right now if there is even a LOS A12 tree yet, but I assume there is and will review when I have time.

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
agreed, I only use Nova premium, and never have this issue
Nope. Installed Nova a couple weeks ago. Today I had lots of app updates, and my phone has been up for over two weeks, so I made a nova Backup, and rebooted. Phone comes back up, all app icons are as normal, most widgets are good, but chrome shortcuts to urls are gone, mix explorer shortcuts are gone, and things like drive shortcuts are gone. I went into nova launcher, did a restore of the backup I did right before rebooting, no change, nothing came back.

Nope. Installed Nova a couple weeks ago. Today I had lots of app updates, and my phone has been up for over two weeks, so I made a nova Backup, and rebooted. Phone comes back up, all app icons are as normal, most widgets are good, but chrome shortcuts to urls are gone, mix explorer shortcuts are gone, and things like drive shortcuts are gone. I went into nova launcher, did a restore of the backup I did right before rebooting, no change, nothing came back.
I have never had that happen (ever), and I use Nova (pro) as my ONLY launcher (unless testing something to help others). I use the same Nova backups across the board on ALL my ROMs (Android 8/9/10/11/12). They can all reuse the same backup - if the backup is taken correctly am successful). I use the SAME Nova backup on Android 9 (Nexus Tablet), as I do with Android 11/12 (pixel 4 XL), and what you just described with missing apps has ever happened to me before nor have I heard of it before. The only time apps are missing from my restoring Nova, is when I didn't physically install those apps. Then they disappear (with a link to "find" in the PlayStore, but otherwise nothing is lost, moved, or even out of place. Meaning the apps, settings, features, functions, gestures, whatever I have set in Nova and saved successfully in the backup, is restored to the new device without failure. I have even used the SAME backup files from one device, to another device using a different Android level 9wihtout issue). Nova backups are rock solid, so I need more info to try and help you.

Can you explain how you backed up Nova (did it save successfully to the documents folder) - assuming you are on LOS18.1 (A11), but not A12? A12 doesn't allow the document folder to backup/save so are you 100% SURE everything backed up successfully? I only ask because before I realized A12 was the cause (unable to save in Documents), I kept having backup losses but I couldn't understand why at first. If the answer is yes, and yes it is its backing up properly, then thats good, but how the about the restore step? Did it work, or did you have any hiccups? If you had hiccups, what were they?

I am mainly concerned about the "shortcuts" you made in Nova, where/how you did so? Can you explain this in depth please so I can help fix it?

Also can you list out your build process (ROM and Nova / restore of Nova), I don't need a deep-level but high level in regards to how you are using Nova (and restoring it)?

Android 12 breaks the backup/restore locations so it works, but you have to bury it within a folder you can write to (thats the ONLY hiccup I ever have). Its not even an app bug, but solely due to Google and Google locking down the filesystem structure/permissions/compression. Android 12 is perfectly fine IF you ALREADY have a backup taken (any Android level works) as long as backup is successful.

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
I have never had that happen (ever), and I use Nova (pro) as my ONLY launcher (unless testing something to help others). I use the same Nova backups across the board on ALL my ROMs (Android 8/9/10/11/12). They can all reuse the same backup - if the backup is taken correctly am successful). I use the SAME Nova backup on Android 9 (Nexus Tablet), as I do with Android 11/12 (pixel 4 XL), and what you just described with missing apps has ever happened to me before nor have I heard of it before. The only time apps are missing from my restoring Nova, is when I didn't physically install those apps. Then they disappear (with a link to "find" in the PlayStore, but otherwise nothing is lost, moved, or even out of place. Meaning the apps, settings, features, functions, gestures, whatever I have set in Nova and saved successfully in the backup, is restored to the new device without failure. I have even used the SAME backup files from one device, to another device using a different Android level 9wihtout issue). Nova backups are rock solid, so I need more info to try and help you.

Can you explain how you backed up Nova (did it save successfully to the documents folder) - assuming you are on LOS18.1 (A11), but not A12? A12 doesn't allow the document folder to backup/save so are you 100% SURE everything backed up successfully? I only ask because before I realized A12 was the cause (unable to save in Documents), I kept having backup losses but I couldn't understand why at first. If the answer is yes, and yes it is its backing up properly, then thats good, but how the about the restore step? Did it work, or did you have any hiccups? If you had hiccups, what were they?

I am mainly concerned about the "shortcuts" you made in Nova, where/how you did so? Can you explain this in depth please so I can help fix it?

Also can you list out your build process (ROM and Nova / restore of Nova), I don't need a deep-level but high level in regards to how you are using Nova (and restoring it)?

Android 12 breaks the backup/restore locations so it works, but you have to bury it within a folder you can write to (thats the ONLY hiccup I ever have). Its not even an app bug, but solely due to Google and Google locking down the filesystem structure/permissions/compression. Android 12 is perfectly fine IF you ALREADY have a backup taken (any Android level works) as long as backup is successful.
Ok, when I posted this message, I also sent a message to Nova Launcher support - they replied back yesterday saying this is expected behavior. Any app icons or widgets will be backed up, but Google (for quite some time now, he says) doesn't allow him to back up things like chrome shortcuts, drive shortcuts, any shortcuts that refer to a URI/URL.. That's the behavior I'm seeing. As for your other questions, I installed step-by-step from the LineageOS installer instructions, and have had no issues other than this one (icons sometimes disappear after a reboot - the Google bug).

Ok, when I posted this message, I also sent a message to Nova Launcher support - they replied back yesterday saying this is expected behavior. Any app icons or widgets will be backed up, but Google (for quite some time now, he says) doesn't allow him to back up things like chrome shortcuts, drive shortcuts, any shortcuts that refer to a URI/URL.. That's the behavior I'm seeing. As for your other questions, I installed step-by-step from the LineageOS installer instructions, and have had no issues other than this one (icons sometimes disappear after a reboot - the Google bug).
Oh wait, I might have misunderstood your comment with what you mean by "backup". Please clarify the " backup" you used? Was this done through NOVA (nova settings / backup/restore)? OR do you mean using backup through Google using the Android backup (settings / system / advanced / backup)?

If you're saying that Google backup doesn't work, yup, that's to be expected (Google backup isn't intended for those settings). BUT using NOVA to manually backup NOVA settings, you'll NEVER have an issue. The NOVA backup will restore every icon to the same original location, with the same name, settings, icon, everything. It even restores the app shortcuts WITH custom icons when the icon pack ISN'T installed yet. Meaning NOVA backup/restore is SO efficient that if you apply icon packs to your app/shortcuts, when you backup/restore NOVA, it will ALSO restore the icon packs using your custom settings EVEN BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE ICON PACK. I know because I do this as my FIRST rebuild step as it lays out my droid, with all shortcuts back including any customization I did to them before backed up.

Nova restore will also show you the original location and any missing / not installed apps. Those missing apps will show as a direct Play Store link to reinstall (taking you directly to the app install). It's an amazing app, the devs for NOVA are REALLY good and they think things through so nova is awesome in my book!! Because of the missing app links, NOVA is the first app/restore I perform when building a new device so I can easily reinstall missing apps! It's GREAT!!

Last edited:

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
I hear what you're saying.. all my APP icons restore, but chrome shortcuts (web links) don't.. here's the reply I got from nova launcher ?dev?..

Third party launchers aren't allowed to backup and restore shortcuts due to security and privacy reasons. That's something Google changed quite some time ago and has no plans to ever change again.

People on the forums are lying to you, and only what you stated in the first statement above is true. Google doesn't allow it so that you don't create a shortcut to your bank app for example, someone else gets hold of your Nova backup, restores it and then has access to your bank stuff.

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
Oh wait, I might have misunderstood your comment with what you mean by "backup". Please clarify the " backup" you used? Was this done through NOVA (nova settings / backup), OR do you mean using backup through Google using the Android backup (settings / system / advanced / backup)?

If you're saying that Google backup doesn't work, yup, that's to be expected (Google backup isn't intended for those settings). BUT using NOVA to manually backup NOVA settings, you'll NEVER have an issue. The NOVA backup will restore every icon to the same original location, with the same name, settings, icon, everything. It even restores the app shortcuts WITH custom icons when the icon pack ISN'T installed yet. Meaning NOVA backup/restore is SO efficient that if you apply icon packs to your app/shortcuts, when you backup/restore NOVA, it will ALSO restore the icon packs using your custom settings EVEN BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE ICON PACK. I know because I do this as my FIRST rebuild step as it lays out my droid, with all shortcuts back including any customization I did to them before backed up.

Nova restore will also show you the original location and any missing / not installed apps. And those missing apps will show as missing that you can click to open the direct Play Store link to reinstall. It's an amazing app, the devs for NOVA are REALLY good and they think things through so nova is awesome in my book!!
Sorry, yes, I'm talking about nova launcher backup, not phone backup

Sorry, yes, I'm talking about nova launcher backup, not phone backup
Then please list what doesn't work for you (you can PM me if its long) because there shouldn't be a thing missed app-wise. Links and custom shortcuts (outside of NOVA or an icon pack) won't backup with nova but the apps and how they look will.

IDK what you're trying to do. The links is what I'm mainly asking about now so I can help you with a solution.

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
What you just said is what I'm seeing. Apps and how they look works fine, but links and custom shortcuts don't get backed up. Prolly my misunderstanding, I originally thought Nova would back them all up.. thx

What you just said is what I'm seeing. Apps and how they look works fine, but links and custom shortcuts don't get backed up. Prolly my misunderstanding, I originally thought Nova would back them all up.. thx
Nope, not by design but if you explain them for me, I can probably help you with a workaround but I need to know whats being missed.

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
What's happening is the google bug, that sometimes when I reboot my phone, icons go missing. App icons are all there in the correct places, but any shortcuts I've put on the homescreen that point to web pages disappear, shortcuts I've made using the google drive widget disappear, and shortcuts to local folders I've made using Mix Explorer also disappear. The only thing that remains after a reboot are app icons, and widgets that occupy some screen space, like the calendar, keep task list, etc. My biggest complaint (and this is a complaint against google and I'm just trying to find a way to not recreate them) is my web shortcuts - I have 20-30 of them on my screens and replacing them is very time-consuming. I'm thinking of just creating a webpage on my server with all my links so I can just go through one-by-one clicking, adding to homescreen, etc.. It's not a LineageOS issue, I just brought it up here because the initial searches I found on the web blamed Trebuchet launcher, and then multiple people pointed out that Nova Launcher would fix it via backup/restore..

Reactions: GROOVYJOSHCLARK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yUIn6TF.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11.0, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What's working

• Active Edge
    • Face unlock
    • Screen attention
    • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
    • Bluetooth
    • Wi-Fi
    • Camera
    • Video Recording
    • Video Playback
    • Audio ( Record and Playback )
    • Sensors
    • Flash

What's not working

• Soli motion sense (proprietary)
    • New Google Assistant (proprietary)
    • Adaptive charging & extreme battery saver (proprietary)
    • Pixel Stand features (proprietary)
    • Feel free to report any issues you may encounter with relevant logs

Installation

1. Download the latest supported Lineage OS build and recovery (boot) image, and ensure you are on Lineage OS 17.1 or Android 11 already.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Flash the provided boot.img to both slots (fastboot flash --slot all boot boot.img)
    4. Reboot into recovery and factory reset for initial install
    5. Sideload the latest build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
    6. (Optional) Reboot to recovery again and flash gapps of choice (MindTheGapps are recommended)
    7. Reboot to system
    8. (Optional) Flash custom kernel / Magisk

A more detailed installation guide can be found on the wiki.

Updates

Simply repeat steps 5 - 7. You shouldn't need to flash factory images as all partitions (firmware, vendor etc.) are updated with the lineage zip.

Downloads

Credits

• razorloves
    • cdesai
    • npjohnson
    • Sultanxda
    • LineageOS Team

Source

Feel free to join my Pixel 4 telegram group here.
    Lineage OS 18.1 (20/1/21)

• January ASB
    • Fixed inconsistent gapps install behaviour due to virtual a/b
    • Added the ability to reboot to fastbootd from advanced restart options
    • Various bug fixes and improvements
    Thank you for tolerating the frustrating gapps installation issues on the last build. This substantially delayed this months update but I'm pleased to finally be able to provide one with this fixed. Gapps installation should consistently work now.
    Official builds are now available for downloading. The migration process from my unofficial builds is as follows:

1. Download the latest version of Lineage OS and the lineage recovery image for your device from here.
    2. Reboot to bootloader
    3. Flash the recovery image to your boot partition (fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img)
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Flash the official build of Lineage OS (adb sideload lineage.zip)
    6. If you have gapps installed, reboot to recovery again and ensure you flash gapps again before booting into Lineage OS
    7. Reboot your phone and enjoy!

If you are coming from a previous version of Lineage OS, please refer to the wiki.
    Changelog

2/4/21

• Initial official release

5/3/21

• March ASB
    • Fixed rare app not installed toast
    • Fixed MindTheGapps installation issues
    • Fixed crashes when installing without gapps
    • Revamped Lineage OS recorder app
    • Added Trebuchet icon pack support

9/2/21

• Fixed motion photos in Google Camera
    • Fixed a bug in USAP refill pool logic
    • Slightly reduced system partition reserved size as only up to OpenGapps full will fit
    • A few minor bug fixes and improvements

3/2/21

• February ASB
    • Added support for OpenGapps packages up to full in size
    • Added support for MindTheGapps for when they are publicly distributed
    • Added support for addon.d v3
    • Added additional LiveDisplay options
    • Added Glove Mode for increased touch sensitivity
    • Screen Attention, Now Playing and Live Captions now all work out of the box
    • Fixed spell check on AOSP keyboard
    • Various minor bug fixes and improvements

20/1/21

• January ASB
    • Fixed inconsistent gapps install behaviour due to virtual a/b
    • Added the ability to reboot to fastbootd from advanced restart options
    • Various bug fixes and improvements

1/1/21

• Initial release
    Lineage OS 18.1 (3/2/21)

• February ASB
    • Added support for OpenGapps packages up to full in size
    • Added support for MindTheGapps for when they are publicly distributed
    • Added support for addon.d v3
    • Added additional LiveDisplay options
    • Added Glove Mode for increased touch sensitivity
    • Screen Attention, Now Playing and Live Captions now all work out of the box
    • Fixed spell check on AOSP keyboard
    • Various minor bug fixes and improvements
    EDIT: stock opengapps seems to not work, as it is too big despite OpenGapps thinking it will fit. Packages up to full in size should work fine however.