LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.
- Everything except 'broken' stuff
This build is compatible with all M8 Dual SIM variants (m8dug and m8dwg).
It is based off the HTC's Android 6.0.1 firmware and kernel with binaries from Android 6.0 GPe.
- Reboot to recovery (TWRP by @Captain_Throwback) - Direct link
- Wipe /system, /data and /cache
- Install LineageOS zip package
- Install [optional] the LineageOS su addon to get root (there are obviously other root methods, but this is the recommended one as it survives to OTA updates)
- Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
Credits & collaborations
This work is due to efforts from everyone involved in M8 development with some changes from myself. The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
LineageOS 14.1, ROM for the HTC One (M8)
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: M firmware
Last Updated 2017-05-02