• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 17.1 for Nexus 6 (shamu)

Search This thread

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
Lineage 18.1 (Android 11) just out for Shamu. Note also it only works with a special version of Gapps. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/official-lineageos-18-1-for-the-nexus-6.4255327/

I trust Elektroshmock's great work a lot, and not sure yet of the new version, and his involvement. Have not tested as my Nexus is still my daily driver so waiting a bit. Early reports are it seems to need a full clean install to read SIM cards properly, so that means a fair bit of setup time for some of us. But for you lab rats, have at it.

Last edited:

dvdram

Jun 30, 2014
I trust Elektroshmock's great work a lot, and not sure yet of the new version, and his involvement. Have not tested as my Nexus is still my daily driver so waiting a bit.

Same here / me too! No offence meant, but the thought of having to reinstall everything, entering every personal data and login credential once again doesn't thrill me.

Early reports are it seems to need a full clean install to read SIM cards properly, so that means a fair bit of setup time for some of us.

I really appreciate all the developers work on LOS, because using a smartphone today wouldn't feel half as good without this wonderful OS. And I also understand that using LOS is not meant for the mass market and that it shouldn't be even tried by those who go weak in their knees when they can't find their beloved Google apps on a screen.

But on the other hand: not every user who chooses to use LOS is a "lab rat" with a high levelled adventure spirit. Some of us just have a real need for a smart phone that is (mostly) freed from Google for good reasons.

And for those users, including me, I think it's better to wait until there's a way to upgrade without having to set up everything again.

esysfound

Oct 21, 2017
"Lab rat" just means early adopters. Let's not get carried away here. On the rest - if you use correctly Titanium Backup, you can save some time getting back up to speed with a fresh ROM. Many, but certainly not all Apps can be brought over and will work. Some won't. It still takes me about 1.5-2 hours to get all shipshape. Part of the problem is an inability to practically partition the phone harddrive or to use (like much older phones had) a removable storage chip where some things e.g. lots of stored files, pictures, or especially downloaded navigation maps could be easily separated and stored. But with a little creativity, some this can be approximated.

In theory, just wiping the SYSTEM partition but not wiping the DATA partition should save time reloading stored files. But if you tweak your phone a lot as I do, just desktop loaders and icon positions and testing app logins etc. means installing a new ROM is still a big commitment of time if it is to be the daily driver. It also means learning about quirks such as the new ROM seems to have no native email client.

In any case, 1-2 hours per year to keep phone up to date not such a train smash. It seems the team involved in the new build is first rate and carries over from this.

Last edited:
Reactions: duttyend

Medlir

Dec 3, 2013
Lansing
www.medlir.com
Does anyone still have or know of a mirror/archive of the last official 17.1 build? Or willing to mirror it somewhere? Looks like it may have been lineage-17.1-20210331-nightly-shamu-signed.zip

xl883n

Feb 19, 2013
If anyone has the last 17.1 - lineage-17.1-20210331-nightly-shamu-signed.zip, please repost, link above is dead. thank you!

Elektroschmock

Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Winnenden
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 6
Any mirrors for the last 17.1 build?
Too lazy to wipe the entire device and re-do everything to update to 18.1

It just came to my mind that I fixed the dreaded echo bug only after the last official build.
Perhaps you might want to update to 18.1 in this case.

It should be doable without resetting everything.

and

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
Did some searching with no luck - hope this hasn't already been answered, and hope it can be. Got a nexus6 on purenexus, thinking of switching to lineage os. I'm on Verizon - will lineage enable WiFi calling for Verizon? I know this model normally doesn't have WiFi calling with Verizon, but unsure why.. Was looking to jump up to a pixel 3 or higher, bit the edl thing has me rethinking that plan, lol.. This phone works great, all I'm trying to do is get WiFi calling at my house (horrible service here).. Any info or pointers greatly appreciated!

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Did some searching with no luck - hope this hasn't already been answered, and hope it can be. Got a nexus6 on purenexus, thinking of switching to lineage os. I'm on Verizon - will lineage enable WiFi calling for Verizon? I know this model normally doesn't have WiFi calling with Verizon, but unsure why.. Was looking to jump up to a pixel 3 or higher, bit the edl thing has me rethinking that plan, lol.. This phone works great, all I'm trying to do is get WiFi calling at my house (horrible service here).. Any info or pointers greatly appreciated!
No.

Neither wifi calling nor VoLTE work at all on any rom beyond Oreo.

On those old roms that do support it, I believe that, at best, it works in those cases that stock works. (If you read old threads such as PureNexus, people have tried - I don't think with much success, but I could be wrong)

Edit: personally, I've just switched to a used Pixel 2XL, and I'm happy with the change. Of course, you should check with your provider if they support VoWiFi on that model.

Even if not, there are hacks for the 2XL that might help.

Last edited:

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
Still running the Nexus 6 and I'd say I'm way overdue for an upgrade anxiously waiting to see how the soon to be released Pixel fold Pixel 6 turn out

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
No.

Neither wifi calling nor VoLTE work at all on any rom beyond Oreo.

On those old roms that do support it, I believe that, at best, it works in those cases that stock works. (If you read old threads such as PureNexus, people have tried - I don't think with much success, but I could be wrong)

Edit: personally, I've just switched to a used Pixel 2XL, and I'm happy with the change. Of course, you should check with your provider if they support VoWiFi on that model.

Even if not, there are hacks for the 2XL that might help.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was guessing and afraid of.. I like shiny new things, but my nexus had worked well for quite a long time, and I have a couple spares for parts, so I'll probably just stick with them for now. Found a thread about creating hacked WiFi calling with SIP and may try that.. Appreciate your quick response!

craiger27

Nov 30, 2013
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3 XL
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was guessing and afraid of.. I like shiny new things, but my nexus had worked well for quite a long time, and I have a couple spares for parts, so I'll probably just stick with them for now. Found a thread about creating hacked WiFi calling with SIP and may try that.. Appreciate your quick response!
If anybody is interested, I'm gonna check this out:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Wiki.

Recovery
    The LineageOS 17.1 reovery is recommended
    If you still want to use TWRP never install the TWRP app as system app. Otherwise your device won't boot

Current lineage 17.1 shamu nightlies are based on the N6F27M October 2017 update from google.
    So you should be using the radio and bootloader img from that update.
    Before you flash a bootloader or radio image please boot to bootloader and check what you have currently installed. You might already have the right one and don't need to flash it again.

They can be extracted from the factory image on google's site here.
    Or you can use the ones linked below that I already extracted:

radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.45+fsg-9625-02.117.img
    bootloader-shamu-moto-apq8084-72.04.img

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR VERIZON USERS: Google released a separate October 2017 security update (NGI77B) just for verizon users that has a different radio. So you'll want to flash it. I repeat, THIS RADIO IS JUST FOR VERIZON USERS.

radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.51+fsg-9625-02.118.img

You can use fastboot to flash the bootloader and radio.

More information and installation instructions can be found on the LineageOS wiki here.

Download Links
    LineageOS: https://download.lineageos.org/shamu
    Google apps: Opengapps Use an ARM (not ARM64) package for Android 10

HEADS UP: When you initially install LineageOS, be sure you flash the gapps package with your ROM. If you boot your ROM, then go back and try to flash gapps after, you're gonna have a bad time.

Changelog

Builddate: 2020.06.17
    Changes:
    [new] June security updates
    [new] LineageOS clock

Builddate: 2020.05.29
    Changes:
    [new] May security updates
    [fix] ULL audio fixes
    [new] Add back serif fonts
    [fix] Screen turning itself on when no lockscreen is set
    [new] Etar calendar

Builddate: 2020.04.12
    Changes:
    [new] April security updates ROM & kernel

Builddate: 2020.04.08
    Changes:
    [new] Initial LineagOS 17.1 release

Known Issues:
    [bug] Trusted voice is not working and probably never will
    [bug] TWRP is not able do decrypt your data if you encrypted it with lineage-16.0
    [bug] IMS is not working - if you need it you have to stay on lineage-15.1

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the Nexus 6

Contributors
    Elektroschmock, elektroschmock, npjohnson
    Source Code: http://github.com/lineagos

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2020-04-08
    Last Updated 2020-04-08
    Is there any chance to have lineage-18.1 on shamu?

Well code is ready since 'forever' as you can see on the other Android 11 ROMs for shamu which are using Lineage's code. I just don't see a reason to use you users as guinea pigs for testing as long as there are bugs I am able to reproduce. If nothing goes south shamu will be in the first batch of devices receiving Lineage 18.1
    Hi-no the times are sort of real world screen on and off over a typical, normal day.
    I will play with the Ex Kernel Manager but normally using the conservative setting if anything lengthens battery life. (I think it just throttles back clock speed vs tinkering with all the multiple different frequencies. I believe it was designed originally to manage the Elemental kernel, but it is just overhead software really, and can be used with any. See here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.exkernelmanager&hl=en

But it does raise a useful question - what kernel is used with 17.1 and do you have a better solution to manage that vs. just stock tweaks? Thanks

Okay sorry I think I was unclear in my writing. I know what Ex Kernelmanager and Ex-Kernel is. I'm just don't know exactly what those profiles intend to do and on which sysfs interfaces the manager relies.
    When Exkernel was a thing shamu was still supported by google hence all kernel were mostly the same. Only some stock tweaks like you call them where the difference. With android 8 the different kernels began to drift apart, and most where given up for various reasons. Since android 9 there is only one kernel left for shamu It's the lineage kernel. You might find other kernels, but on the inside they are the lineage kernel with a different name tag applied.

Answer your questions what this kernel is, is kind of hard, but I try.
    Base Google's 3.10.40 kernel for shamu
    Updated to 3.10.108
    Security patches up to April 2020
    Full RGB LED support. (hint hint I'm proud of this)
    Binder backport from 3.18
    interactive governor updated to 3.18
    various fixes for a lot of subsystems

What this kernel does not and will never support
    Overvolting
    Undervolting
    Over clocking
    CPU Governors with long and funny names and ****ty function
    faking of bootloader status

Okay now back to your other questions.
    LineageOS does have has power profiles for you too choose from. You can choose between longer battery life and higher performance. I don't know the exact setting for each profile, but I can look them up for you if you are interested.

I recommend using these and advise against the use of any kernel manager. Those where never meant to be used on this kernel and can wreck all powersavings. Only use them if you know shamu better then me. ;)
    So it was a coincident? :)

Curious: did you find the reason for the camera crashes and is it explainable to noobs?

The app crashed because camera HAL was reporting no camera devices.
    For the HAL to work properly there are two services needed. 1. cameraserver and 2. qcamerasvr.
    Cameraserver needs qcamerasvr running to work.

So we started qcamerasvr and then cameraserver in the init. At least this was the plan.
    But init is not synchronus which means it can reschedule the starting of those services which could lead to switched starting order.

See:
    https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_device_moto_shamu/+/273010
    https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/android_device_moto_shamu/+/273406
    just reflashed today build.did aclean install from cr droid to lineage 17.1. So far so good. Will we get the june 2020 security patches in the next set of nightlies. .

I need some more days, as I didn't have the time yet to update the kernel.