• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 [beckham][weeklies]

Search This thread

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
P6tVwPF.jpg

Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction:
  • This is the Official LineageOS 18.1 thread for the Moto Z3 Play, codename beckham.

Information:

Downloads:

Bugs

Notes

Other

Contributors
@Jleeblanch, @erfanoabdi
LineageOS Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 11
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Android Pie (9.0) Stock Firmware

CamposJ

Jun 26, 2016
Using it and after an entire week now, no problems or bugs so far. I do have, however a small question: how do I make this rom to stop shortening text in icons and in the lock screen? Other custom roms will use two lines of text if the app name is too long but this one shorts it, which in some cases leads to 'not so desirable' results, like in the Wifi Analyzer App (see attached screenshots).

Changing the grid layout doesn't helped and this phone has plenty of screen resolution to avoid doing things like 'S...' instead of showing 'September' in the lock screen. Thank you very much for this awesome rom :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-072736.png
    Screenshot_20210910-072736.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20210910-073516_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20210910-073516_Trebuchet.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 103

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
First of all I'm really greatfull to have lineage supported on this phone.

One problem I encountered while installing the rom was that my phone refused to connect to anything other then GSM. So mobile data was not working.

I started from an older version of the stock rom, not the latest stock 9.0 rom.
This seems to be a somewhat known issue, u/i_guess_i_am_a_scout on reddit has written a guide on this for lineage 16 / 17.

Though for me it was sufficient to flash the modem and vendor partitions for slot a and b:
fastboot --slot a flash modem NON-HLOS.bin fastboot --slot b flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

fastboot --slot a flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot --slot a flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.1

fastboot --slot b flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot --slot b flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.1

fastboot erase modemst1 fastboot erase modemst2 fastboot erase carrier

boot twrp, sideload the twrp-installer and latest lineage zip
After that mobile data and LTE suddenly started to work.

Another minor issue I encountered is that "Brightness control by sliding across the status bar" does set the brightness to 100% for very low brightness levels / on the very left of the statusbar-swipe. See: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/3865 .

But appart from that a very solid rom, in the one month I've been using it, there were no other issues.
Thanks.

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
Using it and after an entire week now, no problems or bugs so far. I do have, however a small question: how do I make this rom to stop shortening text in icons and in the lock screen? Other custom roms will use two lines of text if the app name is too long but this one shorts it, which in some cases leads to 'not so desirable' results, like in the Wifi Analyzer App (see attached screenshots).

Changing the grid layout doesn't helped and this phone has plenty of screen resolution to avoid doing things like 'S...' instead of showing 'September' in the lock screen. Thank you very much for this awesome rom :)
Just some ideas as workarounds:
1) Change the grid layout by long pressing on the home screen -> Styles and Wallpapers -> Grid -> 4x5
At first this applies only to the home screen and not the app drawer:
But after a reboot the appdrawer will also have the 4x5 layout.
2) You could decrease the font size in the settings, but that might make other things hard to read.
3) Use a third party launcher.

The lock screen month clipping issue seems to be localization related, on english this works fine.
But I guess that is not really an issue specific to the z3 play, so you probably should report it as a lineage bug report so it can be fixed for all devices.

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6

One problem I encountered while installing the rom was that my phone refused to connect to anything other then GSM. So mobile data was not working.

This seems to be a somewhat known issue, u/i_guess_i_am_a_scout on reddit has written a guide on this for lineage 16 / 17.

Though for me it was sufficient to flash the modem and vendor partitions for slot a and b:
fastboot --slot a flash modem NON-HLOS.bin fastboot --slot b flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

fastboot --slot a flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot --slot a flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.1

fastboot --slot b flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.0 fastboot --slot b flash vendor vendor.img_sparsechunk.1

Another minor issue I encountered is that "Brightness control by sliding across the status bar" does set the brightness to 100% for very low brightness levels / on the very left of the statusbar-swipe. See: https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/3865 .

But appart from that a very solid rom, in the one month I've been using it, there were no other issues.
Thanks.
Glad you figured it out, which there is a message on the install page stating to make sure you're on the latest firmware before flashing the rom. Mobile data was only an issue for CDMA users in early builds of 17.1/16.0. I was missing a flag on our board config that fixed that.

As for your guide, it doesn't make any sense to flash the vendor partition, you mostly just need what gets symlinked there (i.e. fsg, modem, dsp). Vendor get overwritten during the rom installation. In your case, you were probably on a firmware version lower than the firmware version beckham's device specific blobs are from and the rom didn't agree. Regardless, I am glad all worked out in the end.

I am aware of the Brightness issue and am working on a solution. I can confirm it also happens on Evert and Lake as well.

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
Glad you figured it out, which there is a message on the install page stating to make sure you're on the latest firmware before flashing the rom. Mobile data was only an issue for CDMA users in early builds of 17.1/16.0. I was missing a flag on our board config that fixed that.

As for your guide, it doesn't make any sense to flash the vendor partition, you mostly just need what gets symlinked there (i.e. fsg, modem, dsp). Vendor get overwritten during the rom installation. In your case, you were probably on a firmware version lower than the firmware version beckham's device specific blobs are from and the rom didn't agree. Regardless, I am glad all worked out in the end.

I am aware of the Brightness issue and am working on a solution. I can confirm it also happens on Evert and Lake as well.
I'm not really sure which one of the flash commands fixed it in the end, it could very well only be the flash modem command.

I also started looking into the brightness issue. I'm not very experienced when it comes to android development. But if I'm right the code that controlls the status bar brightness should be here. I've experimented a bit and found that the problem occurs in the padding zone on the left, where there is left 15% of the status bar which should return the lowest brightness value.
In this case the newBrightness is set to:
int newBrightness = mMinBrightness;
and
mMinBrightness = context.getResources().getInteger(com.android.internal.R.integer.config_screenBrightnessDim);.

EDIT:
I've searched through through other device's code (Moto E 2015) and some seem to configure this value inside this device specific config file.

But how to find out what this should have as a value and why does it work for the normal brightness slider but not for the status bar swipe?

Last edited:

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
I'm not really sure which one of the flash commands fixed it in the end, it could very well only be the flash modem command.

I also started looking into the brightness issue. I'm not very experienced when it comes to android development. But if I'm right the code that controlls the status bar brightness should be here. I've experimented a bit and found that the problem occurs in the padding zone on the left, where there is left 15% of the status bar which should return the lowest brightness value.
In this case the newBrightness is set to:
int newBrightness = mMinBrightness;
and
mMinBrightness = context.getResources().getInteger(com.android.internal.R.integer.config_screenBrightnessDim);.

EDIT:
I've searched through through other device's code (Moto E 2015) and some seem to configure this value inside this device specific config file.

But how to find out what this should have as a value and why does it work for the normal brightness slider but not for the status bar swipe?
The config option is found in our sdm660-common tree which we currently have set to "1". Default value found here is "10", which digging into stock is what is used.

I've already made the necessary changes in the common tree, I just have yet to have a chance to build and test. I legit just moved to Georgia from Vermont this past weekend. In the coming days I'll be hard at work on my supported devices in hopes to work out the remaining minor bugs.

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
The config option is found in our sdm660-common tree which we currently have set to "1". Default value found here is "10", which digging into stock is what is used.

I've already made the necessary changes in the common tree, I just have yet to have a chance to build and test. I legit just moved to Georgia from Vermont this past weekend. In the coming days I'll be hard at work on my supported devices in hopes to work out the remaining minor bugs.
Thanks for the information,
please don't interpret my posts here as impatience, so please take your time.
I just saw this minor issue as a possibility to get my feet wet with the lineage source.

Can I help by trying to build a version with a the modified sdm660 tree file where config_screenBrightnessDim is set to 10 and test if this fix works?

Last edited:

Jleeblanch

Feb 6, 2012
Colchester, VT
Moto G4 Plus
Moto G6
Thanks for the information,
please don't interpret my posts here as impatience, so please take your time.
I just saw this minor issue as a possibility to get my feet wet with the lineage source.

Can I help by trying to build a version with a the modified sdm660 tree file where config_screenBrightnessDim is set to 10 and test if this fix works?
No worries! Any and all help is always appreciated, one of the benefits of open source is anyone can contribute 😊

That's totally up to you! All the info you need to build is on the Lineage Wiki. I believe I pushed the changes to my personal github if you wanna pick them. If you wanna experiment yourself, removing that line I linked in sdm660-common (and the relevant comment above it) is what you would want to do to revert the value back to "10" as it'll just use the value in frameworks/base instead.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Lemme if that works or not or even if it changes the behavior even slightly. We may even need to play with the value a bit.

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
No worries! Any and all help is always appreciated, one of the benefits of open source is anyone can contribute 😊

That's totally up to you! All the info you need to build is on the Lineage Wiki. I believe I pushed the changes to my personal github if you wanna pick them. If you wanna experiment yourself, removing that line I linked in sdm660-common (and the relevant comment above it) is what you would want to do to revert the value back to "10" as it'll just use the value in frameworks/base instead.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Lemme if that works or not or even if it changes the behavior even slightly. We may even need to play with the value a bit.
Well, after downloading for 5h and compiling another 5h I was able to create the new zip file.

For me the 'extract proprietary blob' part of the wiki didn't work, when executing ./extract-files.sh it got some files, but for others it reported errors:
- vendor/lib64/sensors.iio.so - product/priv-app/ims/ims.apk - system/app/MotoSignatureApp/MotoSignatureApp.apk !! system/app/MotoSignatureApp/MotoSignatureApp.apk: file not found in source - system/priv-app/ModFmwkProxyService/ModFmwkProxyService.apk !! system/priv-app/ModFmwkProxyService/ModFmwkProxyService.apk: file not found in source - system/priv-app/ModService/ModService.apk !! system/priv-app/ModService/ModService.apk: file not found in source - system/priv-app/MotCamera2/MotCamera2.apk + keeping pinned file with hash 260df16116b0e9f5144114454533bcda35f669e7 - system/priv-app/ProjectorApp/ProjectorApp.apk !! system/priv-app/ProjectorApp/ProjectorApp.apk: file not found in source

not sure if I was missing a setting, this result was with "USB debugging" and "Rooted debugging" enabled in the android settings.
But extracting the files from a official zip file worked out.

EDIT:
After some testing with different brightness xml values, the lowest value that still works is 2.
This is also the lowest brightness achievable with the default brightness slider.

EDIT2:
Strange, with the integrated brightness settings I can reach lower brightness, so it should be a value less than 2. But 1 did break the brightness adjustment, so there is probably a deeper problem.

Last edited:

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
Hey, I'm still running official LOS 17.1 on my Z3. Does this build still have a working Moto Camera 2 like 17.1? I heard from other custom ROM users on Motos that it crashes for them on 18.1. if the Moto Camera 2 app is working fine, then I'll go ahead and upgrade.
Hi @Sanras,

for me the "camera 2" app is working on the most recent build of LOS 18.1 .
There is a toast "dlopen failed libmcf-jni not found" which pops up on occasionally on start, but it does not seem to affect the functionality.

If you are using TWRP booted from fastboot, you could do a full system backup before flashing, just in case.

Greetings
userx14

Hi @Sanras,

for me the "camera 2" app is working on the most recent build of LOS 18.1 .
There is a toast "dlopen failed libmcf-jni not found" which pops up on occasionally on start, but it does not seem to affect the functionality.

If you are using TWRP booted from fastboot, you could do a full system backup before flashing, just in case.

Greetings
userx14

Ok, that's good to hear! Thank you for the information.

cruzdl

Oct 13, 2021

Thanks.
The first time I installed LineageOS 18.1 I accidentally deleted all the stock rom files and GPS, GSM and bluetooth didn't work. I went back to stock rom and installed LineageOS 18.1 again without deleting all the files and the only thing that still doesn't work is Bluetooth. Still not able to resolve.

userx14

Sep 13, 2021
The first time I installed LineageOS 18.1 I accidentally deleted all the stock rom files and GPS, GSM and bluetooth didn't work. I went back to stock rom and installed LineageOS 18.1 again without deleting all the files and the only thing that still doesn't work is Bluetooth. Still not able to resolve.
@cruzdl
Strange, for me bluetooth works.
Maybe you used a different version for your stock rom or your device is different?
I have an xt1929-8, and I'm not sure if the emmc and ram size is the only difference between the versions.

Is it correct that you created the issue https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/4057 ?

When I have bluetooth disabled with the quick settings I also get bluetooth adress not available, but when I switch bluetooth on I have an bluetooth address that is the same as the Wifi mac address, but the last digit is one lower.

Do you have the a Wifi mac address there when you have Wifi active?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    P6tVwPF.jpg

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 11 (R), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Introduction:
    • This is the Official LineageOS 18.1 thread for the Moto Z3 Play, codename beckham.

Information:

Downloads:

Bugs

Notes

Other

Contributors
    @Jleeblanch, @erfanoabdi
    LineageOS Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Android Pie (9.0) Stock Firmware